1 of 44
In the sailing world there are sailboats.... and then there are true sailing classics; the kind of vessels that conjurer up an image of blue water sailing.... extreme offshore adventures.... and perhaps even circumnavigating the globe. Clearly, "Galatea" is the latter, and a true testament to a yacht of classic proportions and timeless design. This Cape George cutter is in terrific condition and has just what is needed for safe, simple and reliable cruising in any waters. A one-owner boat that has sailed the Northeast every summer since new, "Galatea" is now available for viewing in her winter storage shed in Sedgewick, Maine.
"Galatea" is a very well designed and extremely robust 36' classic Cutter (LOA with Bow Sprit 41'6") designed by William Atkins. Her hull and deck were built in 1998 and trucked to Alfred Mattheis in New Hartford, Ct where she was completed in 2004 for her current owners (one-owner boat!) Alfred Mattheis apprenticed under the watchful eye of legendary Shipwright Ferdinand "Red" Nimphius, of Wisconsin.
Used primarily for Maine summer cruising, "Galatea" is commissioned for about half the year and stored inside for the remainder. She has a tall (53') 2-spreader Aluminum (painted white) tapered rig with 316 Stainless standing rigging that offers tremendous stability, so often noted by those familiar with this style of blue water Cutter.
The classic Herreshoff-style interior was finished by the finest of New England Shipwrights. Her teak cabin sole and interior trim compliment the bright white panels and natural cedar overhead. Her hull and deck are built of fiberglass; and painted, making maintenance far more manageable. The interior is bright and airy with the large classic Butterfly hatch on centerline along with 10 bronze port lights.
Equipped with a detachable Monitor wind vane steering system, reliable (low hour) Yanmar auxiliary diesel engine and seaworthy cutter rig, "Galatea" is the perfect vessel for voyages of any caliber.
* Shore power inlet
* 12v DC Distribution panel at Nav Center with 110v outlets
* Start batteries: (2) 12v Rolls Marine deep cycle
* House Batteries: (2) 12v batteries
* Cabin lights, Nav Lights, Tricolor light, compass light, 12v charge plugs
* Electric bilge pump
* Electric anchor washdown pump
* Depth sounder
* Furuno Radar
* Furuno FS 1503 150w SSB HF Marine SSB radio
* GPS Plotter - Furuno Defender
* Icom IC M802 VHF radio
* 2004 35hp fresh water/raw water-cooled Yanmar 4JH2 ME Marine Diesel engine (Approx hrs = 185hrs)
* 3-Blade Bronze propeller
* Marine Head - Groco K-series w/ fresh water foot pump and Y-valve for tank/overboard
* Salt-water anchor wash-down pump
* Battery charger
* Bronze Manueal Windlass w/195' chain and 50' rode
* Bronze manual winches
* "Force 10" Two-burner Propane stove with oven and enclosed propane vented locker
* 43.5 cubic ft insulated ice box
* Genoa roller furling headsail (Yankee)
* Roller furling fore-staysail
* Battened Mainsail with reef points
* 2-spreader tapered rig (53') w/ (4) Anderson halyard winches w/ rope clutches
* Spinnaker Hardware
* Douglas Fir Bow sprit
* Running Backstays
* Running rigging - New England Ropes
* Cockpit winches (4) Bronze Harken self-tailing
* Bronze/Teak Boom crutch for main boom
* Norseman 316 ss standing rigging
* Detachable Monitor Wind Vane Steering system
* Sunbrella canvas dodger and mainsail cover (Tan)
* Spare anchor and rode
* Stainless steel Pushpit & Pulpit with stanchions and lifelines
* Teak and Mahogany hatches and trim
* Two Chrome Dorade vents on cabin top
* High Gloss-Varnished exterior toe rails and trim
* White hull (topsides) with Grey cove stripe
* CQR primary anchor off bow sprit w?195' chain and 50' nylon rode
* Docklines, fenders and required USCG safety equipment
"Galatea" has a very Classic & functional interior w/ galley to starboard of companionway and quarter berth to port (leading under cockpit). Just forward of the quarterberth is the well equipped Nav center and table/seat. Two long main salon settees oppose each other (port and stbd) with an attractive main salon table on centerline and butterfly hatch above. Storage under settees. There is a hanging locker with shelves for additional storage. The main cabin (v-berth) is forward of the main salon.
The Galley is equipped with a stainless sink and freshwater foot pump, Force 10 two-burner stove with oven, dish/glass and pot storage, trash bin, very well insulated ice box.
Engine access is via the removable companionway steps.
The forward cabin includes an opening deck hatch w/small skylight, 2-opening bronze port lights and full v-berth with insert, cushions and storage below.