2014 Southerly 535
- View Full Specifications
BOAT OF THE YEAR WINNER
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Hilton Head, SC
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- US$ 1,175,000
MAGNIFICENT LUXURIOUS BLUE WATER CRUISER WITH A VARIABLE DRAFT 3' 5" - 11'
PACU - CRUISING WORLD BOAT OF THE YEAR WINNER 2018!
This one owner boat has been kept in immaculate condition. You may have seen her in the Annapolis Boat show last October where she competed in a strong group of contenders and Won the Cruising World Best Full-size Cruiser Award!
A truly elegant raised salon with panoramic views. Stunning master stateroom, large inline galley, engine room, guest stateroom and a 3rd cabin are just a few of her many features!
This is the owners 2nd Southerly and after sailing her for 4 years – through the Med, across the Atlantic, in the Caribbean, the Bahamas and finally to the U.S. – they are now ready to sell her!
A few of her many features and upgrades:
- Push button swing keel easily lowers & raises. Stop at any depth you desire from 3’ 5” to 11’
- Large mid cockpit with twin helms and aft deck with seating
- In boom furling with double powered furling headsails
- Upgraded sails to Spectra Dyneema SRP Cruising laminate sails
- Raymarine electronics
- Panoramic views from true raised salon seating with large deck salon windows
- Teak joinery upgrade
- 3 staterooms, 2 heads with separate showers, inline galley aft
- Hot air heating system with 8 outlets
- Concertina blinds fitted to deck salon windows
- Bow and stern thrusters
- Engine room with door
- Volvo 154 hp engine with extra single lever gear control at nav
- Cummins Onan Generator
- USA spec with holding tank system
- Spectra Catalina 300 watermaker
- LG washing machine
- Sugar scoop transom with watertight storage compartment
- Solar panels, life raft, Zodiac dinghy, outboard and much more….
A GREAT opportunity for you to own a spectacular World Cruising Yacht that can take you anywhere you want to go - including the ability to sail in less than 4 feet of water!
Many more pictures available - Or - call now and make an appointment to see her for yourself!
S&J Yachts has been the Dealer for Southerly Yachts for 9 years. We know these yachts very well! Southerly Yachts was purchase last year and is now being built by Discovery Yachts.
Please contact Sharon and Jack Malatich at (410) 971-1071
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Builder: Northshore Yachts
Designer: Ed Dubois
Flag of Registry: United States
Hull Shape: Monohull
LOA: 54 ft 7 in
Beam: 15 ft 9 in
LWL: 49 ft 0 in
Minimum Draft: 3 ft 5 in
Maximum Draft: 11 ft 0 in
Displacement: 54800 lbs
Ballast: 18400 lbs
Total Power: 146 HP
Engine Brand: Volvo
Engine Model: D3-150
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 1700
Engine Power: 146 HP
Fresh Water Tanks: (211 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: (238 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: (92 Gallons)
CRUISING WORLD BOAT of the YEAR WINNER 2018
The Southerly 540 signature feature is a variable-draft cast-iron swing keel that draws nearly 11 feet when in the full down position and a mere 3 feet 5 inch when raised. “It delivers the best of both worlds,” said Murphy. “When you’re out in the ocean, you want a boat that can handle waves and big seas. But the best part of the cruising life is at the edges where water meets land. The Southerly will take you to both of those places. With the keel down, you’ve got 11 feet under you and all the pointing ability that goes with that. So it’s a deep water boat but also one you can dry out. It can go places most cruising boats can’t ever go. So the world is very, very opened up.”
“The swinging keel system is very robust,” said Bolin. “It looked foolproof, with a hydraulic ram driving a block-and-tackle system with Spectra line on it. You push a couple of buttons and it goes down to your pre-punched-in level. It takes a few seconds. Under sail, I was amazed that we were under load, close-hauled, and [the owner] changed the keel configuration. With all the forces acting on it I didn’t think it would move, but it came right up.”
“The build quality was outstanding,” said Sherman. “It sailed beautifully. It’s a true global cruiser.” For the judges, that combination of traits was irresistible. Which is why they named the Southerly 540 the Best Full-Size Cruiser 54 to 58 Feet.
For many yacht owners, sailing is a passion and one that is taken very seriously. Today with numerous events organised globally including the World Arc and Blue Water Rally, it has become far easier for owners to ‘live the dream’ and fulfil their ultimate ambition to cruise round the world safety and securely. Very often owners will decide to do this upon retirement, often a husband and wife looking to cruise shorthanded. This requires the right yacht designed and built specifically for this purpose, not only to keep her crew safe in any conditions they might encounter but also to offer luxury and comfort.
Following the success of the Southerly 57RS, superyacht designers, Dubois Naval Architects have been commissioned to work alongside the Southerly design team, to create the new Southerly 535. Innovative design, sleek styling, powerful sailing performance, superior build quality and luxurious accommodation are all hallmarks of this superb yacht.
The hull is characterised by a long waterline, fine entry and beam carried aft to ensure the highest degree of performance, comfort, stability and safety. The beautifully stylish lines of the coachroof exudes sophistication and elegance, normally only seen on much larger yachts.
The New Southerly 535 is designed for easy handling, and can be sailed by just two people. The tall powerful rig with swept back spreaders will keep the yacht sailing fast in all weather conditions, with minimum effort. The double headsail rig is suitable for most wind conditions and sailing environments; the self tacking jib allows you to sail easily on short tacks without any effort - ideal for coastal cruising. The overlapping genoa enhances upwind performance in light airs, and together, the double headsail is perfect for down wind trade wind sailing. An optional asymmetric gennaker, for off wind sailing, can be flown from a bowsprit. In boom furling is standard, with in mast furling or slab reefing available as an option.
The lift keel is seen to be the perfect compliment to a blue water cruiser. Offering a deeper draft than most, for sailing offshore, whilst having the flexibility to cruise shallow waters anywhere in the world with the draft reduced to just a few feet. This has the added benefit of enabling a yacht of this size to find shelter in remote places from heavy weather and storms, by getting closer inshore and mooring in anchorages inaccessible to fixed keel yachts.
NAV & ELECTRONICS
The nav area is raised for good visibility through the deck salon windows. It is conveniently located at the base of the companionway on the starboard side. There is a large comfortable bench seat which faces forward. A large nav desk opens with storage inside and more storage outboard.
- Raymarine E125 multi-function display stbd side of companionway behind windscreen fit to swivel
- Raymarine E95 Hybrid touch chart plotter at nav
- Raymarine i70 Depth, Log, Wind Speed/Direction on both helms
- Raymarine i70 additional displays – 2 above companionway, 1 at nav
- Raymarine i60 close hauled wind displays at both helms
- Raymarine 18” HD scanner
- Raymarine AIS 650 class B transceiver
- Raymarine P70 autopilot at port helm and display at nav
- Icom M423 VHF at nav w/Command Mic at helm
- Loud hailer on mast for VHF
- Lopo LED nav lights
- LED spreader down lights mounted on lower spreaders
- Radar reflector fitted on mast
SAILS & RIGGING
The Southerly 535 is designed for easy handling, and can be sailed by just two people. The tall powerful rig with swept back spreaders will keep the yacht sailing fast in all weather conditions, with minimum effort. The double headsail rig is suitable for most wind conditions and sailing environments; the self tacking jib allows you to sail easily on short tacks without any effort - ideal for coastal cruising. The overlapping genoa enhances upwind performance in light airs, and together, the double headsail is perfect for down wind trade wind sailing.
- Selden twin spreader mast with a double headsail rig
- Painted spars: mast & boom
- DK T-25 manual in-boom furling system
- Powered Genoa furling headstay, Furlex 300E
- Powered Jib furling inner stay, Furlex 400E
- Carbon whisker pole for jib/genoa with vertical mast stowage
- Norths sails - Upgraded to Spectra Dyneema SRP: Mainsail fully battened, Genoa, Jib
- Preventer, with pad eye at end of boom
- Main sail furling control lines led aft to secondary coachroof winch
- Lewmar 65 powered main sheet winch (upgrade)
- Lewmar 54 powered secondary winch for jib sheet (upgrade)
- Lewmar 48 powered furling control line winch (upgrade)
- Lewmar 54 powered halyard winch (upgrade)
- Hydraulic boom vang, backstay w/manual pump & control panel
- Navtec quick release for boom vang
- 3 climbing steps on the mast
ENGINE & ELECTRICAL
A powerful and efficient engine delivers maximum range and speed with good fuel economy for a yacht of this size. The bow and stern thrusters make close quarter manoeuvering very easy – so easy - you can even parallel park this yacht! The walk in engine room has good insulation and keeps all engineering equipment together for ease of access and service inspection.
- Volvo D3-150 146hp 5 cylinder, fresh water cooled diesel engine (1700 hrs.)
- Additional Volvo electronic single lever control including start stop switch outboard of chart table
- Bow thruster 250TT with control at steering pedestal
- Stern thruster 250TT with control at steering pedestal
- Aqua drive
- Sound deadening to engine room
- Racor fuel ﬁlter system – upgrade to duplex system
- Rope cutter on prop shaft
- Cummins Onan Generator 4Kw (330 hrs.)
- Mastervolt MASS combi 24/2500 60a charger/ inverter
- Matervolt Easyview touch screen monitor with shunt
- Mastervolt chargemaster battery charger 24V 100A
- Mastervolt 110v/220v 3.5Kw transformer
- 110v ring main with double socket to each cabin
- Engine / generator start battery 12v AGM 225Ah
- Service battery bank upgraded to 10 x AGM Slimline 185 Ah each (24V 925Ah total)
- Isolating switches for all battery banks
- Battery monitor
- 12 volt 25amp socket in cockpit
- 12v DC tinned wiring
- Shore power inlet with cable that electrically retracts inside stern locker
KEEL, DECK & EQUIPMENT
The Southerly 535 hull is characterised by a long waterline, fine entry and beam carried aft to ensure the highest degree of performance, comfort, stability and safety. The beautifully stylish lines of the coachroof exudes sophistication and elegance, normally only seen on much larger yachts.
VARIABLE DRAFT KEEL
The Swing Keel is a great advantage on a yacht of this size. While the deep draft of 10' 11" provides excellent windward performance, stability and good sail carrying capabilities, the extra depth is restrictive in marinas and around shorelines, etc. With the Southerly swing keel - at the 'touch of a button' the keel can be raised to give a shallow draft of only 3' 5" or anywhere in between - perfect for coastlines, low tides and those shallow waters that most all other sailboats cannot get into.
The keel is raised and lowered by a hydraulic ram powered by an electrically driven pump with a hand operated back-up. All hydraulics are easily accessible for maintenance.
The mid cockpit is spacious, yet secure with comfortable seating and a large cockpit table for entertaining guests in style. For convenience there is a cooling box in the table. A glass windshield provides great visibility and extra protection from the elements.
Twin wheels provide excellent line of sight and easy passage to and from the mid cockpit as well as dedicated areas for sail controls and sailing short-handed. Further seating aft allows for guests to relax in comfort, while enjoying all round views.
Additional features & equipment:
- Bow & Stern Thrusters
- Teak laid deck
- Copper coating on hull and keel
- Flo coat inside of hull up to waterline
- Teak rubbing strake w/stainless steel strip
- Lewmar V4 Windlass with gypsy and drum, deck foot switches and chain counter
- Anchor upgraded to Rocna 40
- Aft kedge roller fitted on transom
- Windshield fitted to coachroof
- Dodger attaches to glass windshield
- SS side grab handles on either side of dodger
- Free standing Bimini w/folding SS frame
- 2 wheel rims covered w/ hide
- Large Teak cockpit table with folding leaves. Well designed SS safety railing surrounds table top
- Cooling box fitted into cockpit table
- Custom designed davits
- Polished SS wire guard rails
- Teak seats to pushpit (port & stbd)
- Sugar scoop transom
- Ocean Safety life raft, 4 man
- Full light canvas cover
- Solar panel (500watts) stainless steel structure
- Zodiac inflatable 9 foot with 6hp Yamaha outboard
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
Other Boats from S&J Yachts
Annapolis, MD, United States