2003 J Boats J/109
- View Full Specifications
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Annapolis, MD
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- US$ 119,000
The J/109, Reliant, is a 2003 model with a full compliment of racing sails and delivery sails. She is seriously for sale as the owner is moving in a different direction. She has a Waterline Systems bottom and is ready for her next owner.
Able to be seen anytime at Bert Jabins Yacht Yard in Annapolis.
Call Rich Kahn, CPYB 410-980-5096, email@example.com
Please contact Richard Kahn at 410-268-4100
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Designer: Rod Johnstone
Warranty: 10 years
Hull Shape: Monohull
LOA: 35 ft 3 in
Beam: 11 ft 6 in
LWL: 30 ft 6 in
Maximum Draft: 7 ft 0 in
Displacement: 10900 lbs
Ballast: 3900 lbs
Headroom: 6 ft 2 in
Dry Weight: 10900 lbs
Total Power: 28 HP
Engine Brand: Yanmar
Year Built: 2003
Engine Model: 3GM30F
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Drive Type: Sail drive
Engine Power: 28 HP
Fresh Water Tanks: (35 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: (20 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: Plastic
Number of single berths: 6
Number of heads: 1
The J/109 is setup with two large cabins, two settees in the saloon, nav station, galley, and head. Plus a sail locker behind the head.
- Port side hanging locker.
- Starboard side locker.
- Large storage space beneath berth.
- Shelving on port side.
- Cabin door can be removed for racing.
- Port and starboard settees, deep with thick cushions, great for sea berths!
- Port settee berth extends to double
- Saloon table with drop leaves and storage space inside.
- Port and starboard lockers and shelving.
- Under starboard settee; bladder water tank, batteries and storage.
- Under port settee; bladder water tank and storage, access to water valves.
- Three opening port lights.
- Large chart desk with electronics.
- Storage below seat
- Double basin stainless steel sink
- Hot/cold pressure freshwater with pull out nozzle
- Foot pump freshwater
- Force 10 2-Burner range with oven and broiler
- Ice box with refrigeration
- Raritan manual toilet
- Holding tank with overboard discharge valve and hand pump
- Hot/cold sink with pull out shower, shower sump pump
- Large double berth
- Short hanging locker
- 12V fan
- Cockpit portlight
Sails & Rigging- All Sails are North Sails
- 2010 dacron delivery main- good
- 2012 cruising main- good
- 2013 carbon racing main- excellent
- 2014 dacron delivery jib- like new
- PHRF genoa- like new
- 2014 carbon heavy racing jib- excellent
- 2013 carbon racing jib AP- excellent
- 2012 cruising heavy jib- good
- 2012 AP cruising AP jib- fair
- 2006 cruising spinnaker- fair
- 2013 AP spinnaker- good
- 2012 AP spinnaker- fair
- 2012 VMG spinnaker- good
- Mast removed 2019
- Standing Rigging Nitronic 50 continuous rod and turnbuckles
- Sailtec hydraulic backstay with pump handle
- Retractable sprit
- Harken blocks and stoppers
- Spinlock clutches
- Harken 46 2-speed primary winches
- Harken 40 2-speed secondary winches
- Harken travel with single point mainsheet in cockpit.
- Harken MkIII furler
- Sparcraft aluminum mast and boom.
Electronics and Navigation
Reliant is well equipped with current sailing electronics, some relatively new.
- Raymarine belowdeck Autopilot
- VHF with Cockpit speaker
- newer Raymarine Axiom7 plotter
- AIS on cockpit MIC
- New apparent wind indicator
- Close hauled indicator
- Knotmeter, Depth finder
- Ritchie Powerdamp Compass
- Raymarine Instruments (Qty 4) with wind wand and depth/speed/temp tri-ducer
- Raymarine Axiom 7 plotter
- AIS Receiver
- Sony AM/FM/CD/Sirius Ready Stereo
- Bose Speakers (Qty 2) mounted on saloon bulkhead.
Being a SCRIMP resin infused built J/Boat of this era she does have the normally seen gelcoat crazing on the transom and some on deck. The hull is built with Baltek Contourkore end grained balsa plus vinylester resins to protect against hull blisters. The internal structure is bonded to the hull and deck and bulkheads are tabbed to the hull and deck to increase stiffness.
- Waterline Systems race bottom, keel support system done
- Rudder bearings replaced
- Transom shower hot/cold
- Spartite mast seal
- Life line gates port and starboard
- Gebo deck hatches
- Adjustable fair lead blocks
- Three AGM batteries, 2018
- Guest battery selector/combiner.
- BEP 12V DC electrical panel with breakers.
- BEP digital battery gauge.
- 12V outlet
- 110v battery charger
- 30 amp shore power with cord
- Bilge pump with automatic Ultra sensor and manual over-ride.
Engine & Mechanical
The Yanmar auxiliary has been professionally maintained and all services are up to date, including the sail drive gasket!
If you are looking to compete or cruise fast, Reliant fits the bill. Note keel support done, mast rewired and up to date sails and electronics with propane stove and oven, and 12v refrigeration, Reliant is very flexible for versatile use. Waterline Systems did the Grand Prix bottom: strip, epoxy barrier coat, complete fairing, daltaplate and wet sand. Top notch!
IJPE : 643.00 sq ft
I : 46.50 ft
J : 13.25 ft
P : 43.25 ft
E : 15.50 ft
Working Sail Area : 644.00 sq ft
Manufacturer Provided Description
The J/109 features the retractable bowsprit and asymmetric spinnaker system and a versatile 2-cabin interior layout with standing headroom. She is designed with a very low VCG, long waterline, and generous sailplan with the horsepower for competitive racing and stability for relaxed cruising when the racing crew is not aboard. The J/109 fits within the current J/Boat sprit range as a stable, easy-to-sail performance boat with the interior volume necessary for comfortable cruising and a great dual purpose deck layout. The sleek profile and generous sailplan give one an immediate sense of the speed potential of the J/109. The hull profile reveals a long waterline, low wetted surface and a low VCG fin keel (7 feet), designed for excellent stability when sailing short-handed. The deck/cockpit layout is a cross between the J/105 and J/120, the two J/stable-mates that clearly bracket the targeted market for the J/109. Sail handling systems follow the J philosophy of keeping things easy. Halyards and reef lines are cockpit led, mainsheet controls are within reach of the wheel, and inboard sheeting tracks permit the use of both overlapping and non-overlapping headsails. There is ample on-deck stowage, thanks to the removable transom locker, cockpit seat locker and a bow compartment large enough for both the anchor rode and the asymmetric spinnaker. The interior is European-style with two private sleeping cabins and an option for a pull-out double in the large main cabin. The L-shaped galley includes a double sink, 2-burner propane stove and a pressure water system. The nav station is a large sit-down forward-facing console with abundant space for instrument displays. The head is conveniently located aft near the companionway, providing easy access from the cockpit while underway.