2000 Herreshoff / Van der Graaf 'ELEONORA'
- View Full Specifications
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Barcelona, Spain
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- EUR 6,320,000 (US$ 6,984,232)
Eleonora is an exact replica of the schooner Westward. Westward was launched on March 31 1910, as hull number 692 at the Herreshoff Manufacturing Co. in Bristol, RI, USA. She was then arguably one of the most famous and best known racing schooners in the world. She was designed by Nathanael Greene Herreshoff, the ‘Wizard of Bristol’, the designer of the America’s Cup defenders which turned back all six challenges from 1893 to 1920.
Westward was undoubtedly the fastest schooner in the world in 1910 and following years. With Captain Charlie Barr, who was one of the finest racing skippers in the world at her helm, she sailed successfully against racing yachts such as Britannia, Lulworth, Meteor II, and won numerous trophies.
For thirty seven years, Westward graced the yachting scene and represented all that was best in yacht design and workmanship.
Eleonora not only follows Westward’s heritage of big schooner racing but also offers, with her comfort and space, an unforgettable cruising and relaxing experience.
Eleonora was built at the Van der Graaf shipyard in Holland and was launched in March 2000. Since then, she has successfully participated in a number of classic sailing regattas and hosted on board a number of high profile guests during her charter activities.
Eleonora shows astonishing beauty under sail, her slender hull cutting a pathway through the sea in an elegant combination of beauty and power.
Over one hundred years after the launch of Westward, we are again able to appreciate the awesome majesty and grandeur of this superb classic sailing yacht underway, sails filled as she surges forward, her white wake streaming behind.
With no sacrifice to luxurious standards of comfort, her staterooms and the entire interior display the ambience and elegance of another age.
Major works and improvements carried out recently on Eleonora
- The replacement of all air conditioning compressors and auxiliary fittings (pumps and associated pipe-work).
- The replacement of the large storage fridge compressor and fittings.
- Rigs removed for inspection and overhaul. All fittings removed, sanded and painted. All rigging wires inspected and replaced where necessary. All spars checked, repaired where necessary, stripped back to bare wood and 8 coats of varnish applied.
- All electrical wires replaced in the masts to accommodate new B&G wind instruments.
Masts re-stepped and re-rigged.
- New Satcom C and the fleet 250, 4G and VHF antenna.
- Extensive paint and varnish works on deck and below in the crew and guest areas.
Work in progress
- All mast hoops replaced;
- New main boom constructed;
- Haul out, antifouling;
- Ongoing extensive maintenance and repairs of the engine, generators, pumps, winches, blocks, both tenders, etc.
Adrian Nicolle has been a Professional Yacht Broker for many years; Adrian Nicolle founded Nicolle Associates in 2001.
An experienced sailor (200gt commercially endorsed Master of Yachts) having extensively raced sailing yachts internationally and cruised motor yachts in many areas including the canal system through the length of France, he has served on the executive board of the Royal Southern Yacht Club as Chairman of Sailing and at Cowes Week as Chief Race Officer.
His background is from a customer focused and service led industry and has a broad range of management skills having grown companies from start up to London stock exchange listed businesses with over 200 employees.
While handling most types of yacht sales, Adrian specialises in large sail and motor yachts; he has the marketing and conveyance knowledge, experience, expertise and integrity to represent your needs before, during and long after your purchase.
Contact Adrian Nicolle by email using the link below, or at DDI +44 (0)23 8115 7013, M +44 (0)77 6883 4664 for more details.
Please contact Adrian Nicolle at +44 (0)23 8115 7013
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Beam: 26 ft 7 in
Maximum Draft: 17 ft 10 in
Total Power: 460 HP
Engine Brand: Baudouin
Engine Model: 6R124SR
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 460 HP
TYPE - Sailing Yacht
RIG - Gaff Schooner
BUILDER - Van der Graaf, The Netherlands
DESIGN / NAVAL ARCHITECT - N.G. Herreshoff, 1910
YEAR BUILT - 2000
REFIT - 2008 (Newport, RI, USA)
CLASSIFICATION - Bureau Veritas/MCA, Commercial Vessel
CONSTRUCTION - Steel Hull, Teak Superstructure
CREW - 9
FLAG - British, London registered
ENGINE - 1 x 460Hp Baudouin 6R 124SR (5RP2)
GRT - 148 tons approx.
DISPLACEMENT - 214 tons approx
LOA - 49.50m / 162‘5“
LOD - 41.50m / 136‘2“
LWL - 29.30m / 96‘2“
BEAM - 8.11m / 26‘7“
DRAFT - 5.20m / 17‘1“
SPEED AND RANGE UNDER POWER
MAXIMUM SPEED - 10 knots under engine / 15 knots under sail
CRUISING SPEED - 9 knots under engine
FUEL CONSUMPTION - Approx. 35/litres/hour (including generators)
RANGE - Approx. 2,300nm at cruising speed
ACCOMMODATION - 8 guests in 4 cabins / 3 Double, 1 Twin cabin
CREW - 9 Crew
FUEL - 9,000 litres / 2,370 US gallons
FRESH WATER - 12,000 litres / 3,170 US gallons
GREY WATER - 4,850 litres / 1,281 US gallons
BLACK WATER - 4,850 litres / 1,281 US gallons
MASTER CABIN AFT
This spacious and airy stateroom is accessed from the companionway entrance and runs the full width of the yachts beam. It is well illuminated by portholes and a large skylight. There is a large king size bed, fitted wardrobes, drawers, a dressing table and seating area with an office desk. The adjoining luxurious bathroom includes a marble topped bathtub, shower, twin basins and toilet.
TWIN GUEST CABIN, STARBOARD
Situated amidships with access from the companionway, it has two single berths, a wardrobe, drawers under the bunks, a bedside cabinet with a glass fronted bookcase above and a desk. The en-suite bathroom has a shower, basin and toilet.
DOUBLE GUEST CABIN, PORT FORWARD
This second stateroom is lavishly appointed with its own sitting area and table. The large comfortable queen size bed has numerous drawers and stowage below. There is a large bureau writing desk with a glass fronted bookcase above, a set of drawers, a wardrobe and an en-suite bathroom with shower, basin and toilet.
DOUBLE GUEST CABIN, PORT AFT
Accessed from the main companionway, this spacious cabin with a queen size bed has also an en-suite bathroom with a shower, basin and toilet. It is well equipped with a writing desk, a with glass fronted bookcase above, a full-length wardrobe, a hanging closet and drawers.
This magnificent traditionally panelled saloon spans the full beam of the yacht. The mahogany dining table to port seats up to eight guests, while to starboard, there are two solid mahogany coffee tables and a full-length settee. There are numerous sideboards, glass cabinets and lockers with a concealed hi-fi and television system. At the entrance is a bar with a drinks refrigerator.
Situated next to the navigation station and main companionway, it has a single berth, wardrobe and chest of drawers. There is an en-suite shower room with a basin and toilet.
GALLEY AND LAUNDRY
The large all stainless steel professional galley is fully equipped with modern appliances, including a large oven, Siemens hob, microwave oven, dishwasher, ice machine and coffee machine. It is situated forward of the salon, and is accessible from both the crew quarters and the saloon.
The laundry area is equipped with modern professional washing machine and a tumbler/dryer.
There are eight crew berths in three cabins, which are all accessible from a separate crew companionway. There are two bathrooms with basins, showers, and toilets. A crew mess with TV is situated to starboard with a laundry area port forward.
ENGINE - 1 X 460 Hp Baudouin
MODEL - 6R124SR
STEERING SYSTEM - Hydraulic, with Hydraulic Simrad Autopilot
POWER - 343 kW / 460 HP
PROPELLER - Feathering propeller SPW, Bremerhaven, Germany (New 2016)
ELECTRICITY - 24V DC, 220V AC, 380V AC
SHORE POWER - 380V 3 Phase, 63 amp supply
- AGM sealed 6V cells, 2700 a/h at 24V
- Main Engine start: 126 a/h at 24V
- Generator start: 2 x 50 a/h at 24V
- Emergency: 300 a/h at 24V
GENERATORS - 2 x Kohler
POWER - 2 x 41 kVA 380V 3 phases
INVERTERS/CHARGERS - 2 x Victron 4500W
AIR CONDITIONING - 3 x Compressors Chilled Water Condaria Unit, 10800 BTU with individual temperature and fan speed controls fitted throughout the yacht
CENTRAL HEATING - Condaria/Element
WASTE WATER TREATMENT - Hamann black water treatment plant
WATERMAKERS - 2 x Dessalator 200 litres/hr
FRESH WATER TREATMENT - UV Light and Carbon Filter
HOT WATER - 3 x 200 litres Immersion Tanks
FIRE ALARM - Smoke/heat alarms throughout yacht
HEADS - TECMA Macerator type
SAILS AND RIGGING
- 1,154 sqm upwind maximum
- 2,083 sqm downwind maximum
- James Lawrence
- North Sails
MAIN SAIL - 364 sqm
JACK YARD TOP SAIL - 100 sqm
FORE SAIL - 168 sqm
FORE TOP SAIL - 63 sqm
STAYSAIL - 100 sqm
JIB 1 - 108 sqm
JIB TOP 1 - 175 sqm
BALLOONER - 649 sqm
(Note - New 640 sqm spinnaker from North Sails (2016))
GOLLY WOBBLER - 529 sqm
FISHERMAN - 149 sqm
QUEEN SAIL - 76 sqm
SAIL AREA IN FAIR WIND
DOWNWIND - 2,083 sqm
REACHING - 1,227 sqm
UPWIND - 1,154 sqm
SAIL AREA IN BREEZE
DOWNWIND - 1,492 sqm
REACHING - 1,152 sqm
UPWIND - 1,079 sqm
UPWIND (basic 4 sails) - 700 sqm
MASTS AND SPARS - Oregon Pine
STANDING RIGGING - Galvanised Lower Shrouds, S/S Uppers and Forestays
RUNNING RIGGING - Duratec and Southern Ropes assorted to suit
NAVIGATION AND COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT
- 1 x Office computer
- H.P. PhotosmartC410 Printer/Scanner and Photocopier
- 1 x Navigation computer with Maxsea software and monitor
- Repeat monitor at the helm station
- Simrad IS 15 depth and boat speed
- Furuno GPS Navigator GP-170
- Simrad AIS transmit and receive
- Furuno Navnet radar
- Navtex ICS
- Simrad Autopilot AP 50
- Sailor Standard C
- Thrane & Thrane 150 Fleet Broadband sat phone
- (Note - New Iridium satellite communications system (2016))
- PABX managing satellite, 3 G fax and phone communications in all of the cabins and the crew quarters
- Simrad Shipmate RS 8400 DSC VHF
WINDLASS - Orvea 400V with warping capstan
ANCHORS - 2 x 250 kg Fisherman, to original Herreshoff design,stowed on deck
ANCHOR CHAINS - 120 meters 18 mm galvanised chain to Starboard / 160 meters 18 mm galvanised chain to Port
- 5 x Meissner 500 series 24V electric
- 2 x Meissner 300 series 24V electric
- 12 x Meissner 300 series manual
- 4 x Meissner 30 series manual
HYDRAULIC STEERING - Traditional teak wheel
COMPASS - John Lilley compass housed in bronze binnacle
TABLES - 2 x Collapsible smaller teak tables / Large removable teak table over the main saloon skylight
DECK CHAIRS - 4 x Reclining / 11 x Directors / Removable settees in front of the helm seat
BOARDING LADDER - 1 x Teak platform with steps and bronze stanchions mounted amidships on starboard side
SWIMMING LADDER - 1 x Movable stainless, teak steps
PASSERELLE - 1 x Folding teak with bronze stanchions
- Flat screen TV 40” HD concealed in a mahogany cabinet in the saloon
- DVD, Multi zone player NAD
- Hi-fi in the saloon
- IPod docking station
GALLEY AND LAUNDRY EQUIPMENT
- 1 x Cold room 220 V / Approx. 2,000 litres
- 4 x Fridges 220 V / w x 220 litres, 1 x 170 litres
- 4 x Freezers 220 V / 4 x 91 litres
- 1 x Ice maker
- 1 x Miele Pyro ceramic hob, 5 Burners
- 1 x SMEG Electric oven
- 1 x Nikae Microwave
- 1 x Lamber dishwasher
- 1 x Saeco professional coffee machine
- 1 x Miele professional 6 kg Washing Machine
- 1 x Miele professional 6 kg Tumble Dryer
SECURITY AND SAFETY EQUIPMENT
- 2 x SarSat Cospas EPIRB‘s
- 2 x 26 kg Co2 in Engine Room
- 16 x Assorted Sizes and Types throughout yacht
- 1 x Electric Driven IFP Pump
- 1 x Electric “D. A. BONE” Pump
- 1 x Motor Driven IFP Pump
- 1 x Portable Diesel Driven IFP Pump
TENDERS AND WATERSPORTS EQUIPMENT
- 1 x 4.60m Grey Valiant 500 Sport with a Mercury 60 HP outboard for 10
- 1 x 5.00m Classic mahogany tender with electric motor for 8 (Beam: 1.70 m)
- 1 x 3.70m Classic wooden rowing tender for 5 (Beam: 1.50 m)
- Both classic tenders are of clinker construction, built to the original Herreshoff designs
2006 – 2015 TROPHIES
2006 ANTIGUA CLASSIC YACHT REGATTA
- Best elapsed time overall in Schooner Class
- Best elapsed time in Classic Class
- Best elapsed time in Vintage and Classic Class
2006 LES VOILES DE ST TROPEZ
- Third in Class on corrected time
2007 SUPER YACHT CUP, PLAMA
- Second overall (out of 52 Superyachts) on corrected time
2007 VELE D’EPOCA, PORTO ROTONDO
- Second in Class on corrected time
2007 REGATTES ROYALES, CANNES
- Third in Class on corrected time
2007 LES VOILES DE ST TROPEZ
- First in Class on corrected time
2008 ANTIGUA CLASSIC YACHT REGATTA
- First in Classic Class A on elapsed and corrected time
- First in Schooner Class on corrected time
- First in Schooner Class on elapsed time
- First in Gaff Rigged Class on corrected time
- First in Classic Class on elapsed time
- First in Classic and Vintage Class on elapsed time
- Best charter yacht
- First for professionally maintained classic yacht
2008 NEWPORT BUCKET, USA
- Second in Class on corrected time
- Third in the entire fleet on corrected time
2008 NEW YORK YACHT CLUB CRUISE NEWPORT, USA
- First in Class, Queens Cup on corrected time
- First in Class, Astor Cup on corrected time
- First in Class, Squadron Runs cumulative on corrected time
2008 HERRESHOFF CLASSIC REGATTA, BRISTOL, USA
- First in Classic Class A on corrected time
- Special award for excellence in restoration
2008 MUSEUM OF YACHTING CLASSIC REGATTA, NEWPORT, USA
- First in La Belle Class (Vintage) on corrected time
2009 ANTIGUA CLASSIC WEEK
- Second in Class on corrected time
2010 WESTWARD CUP, COWES, ISLE OF WIGHT, ENGLAND
- Third in Big Class on corrected time
2012 WESTWARD CUP, COWES, ISLE OF WIGHT, ENGLAND
- Second place in Big Class on corrected time
2012 ROUND THE ISLAND RACE, COWES, ISLE OF WIGHT, ENGLAND
- Elapsed time: 6hrs, 49min, 22sec
2015 IN COWES, ISLE OF WIGHT, ENGLAND
- Westward Cup - second in Class
- Royal Yacht Squadron Members Regatta
- Bicentenary International Regatta - third in Class
- British Classic Week - third in Class
- Round the Island Race - elapsed time: 7 hrs, 15min, 45sec
Nicolle Associates offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
- As always photographs do not do justice so a viewing is highly recommended.
- This boat is lying in Barcelona, Spain.
- EU VAT is not paid.
- © 2019 Nicolle Associates
Virtual tour of S/Y Eleonora