1998 Nautor Swan 56
- View Full Specifications
Extensively refitted Swan 56
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Formia, Italy
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- EUR 450,000 Tax Paid (US$ 486,540)
WHY NOT is 3-owner, twin-cockpit, 2.75m draft Nautor Swan 56 from 1998. Extensively refitted and upgraded in recent seasons, so 100% good to go.
** Over 50 new photographs from November 2018 available on request **
FURTHER BROKER’S COMMENTS:
Originally launched in March 1998, WHY NOT is a three-owner twin-cockpit example of the extremely popular German Frers designed Nautor Swan 56. Extensively refitted in her current ownership, almost every aspect of her build and inventory has been reviewed, overhauled and improved from her purchase in May 2007 at Nautor’s Villfranche facility.
Please contact us for a full refit history/summary.
“Nautor's new Swan 56, available as either a cruiser/racer or regatta model, is a powerful and elegant statement from one of the world's premier sailboat builders. Designed by German Frers, the Swan 56 demonstrates Nautor's renewed commitment to performance, while maintaining the essentials of structural integrity, seakindliness, comfort and safety that have earned the company an enduring reputation among demanding sailors the world over…
…Swans have always been capable upwind boats and the 56 will be no exception. Her bow features the requisite small-entry angle for speed by waterline but she also has enough of a rake to assure a clean entry. There is sufficient forefoot area to reduce pounding in a chop. The wide stern has just a trace of counter to keep the trailing edge out of the water. However, the 56's forte, like most performance boats today, will be quick planing and blazing off-the-wind speed. Both versions of the 56 are based on the same hull shape, which carries the beam well aft, although the keel sections are different. The standard, loaded draft of the cruiser/racer is 9 feet, while the regatta's loaded draft is a shade more than 11 feet, which should keep even the most laid-back sailors on their toes. The interior, deck and sail plans also reflect the differences between the two…
…Swan's superb deck layouts have often been copied but rarely duplicated. The nearly flush teak deck with a wedge look and two cockpits are a Swan trademark. The aft steering cockpit features a scooped-out Destroyer wheel, a curved helmsman's seat and nicely angled foot supports…
… once you negotiate the ladder, there is little to dislike about the 56's interior. From the light Burmese teak veneers, to the elegant curved teak moldings, to the well-thought-out layout, the interior is stunning, in the classic, understated Scandinavian way…
…Bringing the boat up, we managed 6.8 knots without stalling at 30 to 35 degrees apparent. There was a modest bay chop, and I was impressed by the lack of any noticeable pounding up forward. There is no disputing that today's long waterlines are fast, sometimes dramatically so, yet often there is a trade-off in upwind motion. It seems Frers has found that elusive balance between speed and motion when sailing on the wind. We were anxious to crack off on a reach and put a wave under the quarter. Unfortunately, there just wasn't enough of a sea running and we didn't have enough sail to get the boat on top of the water. Still, we clipped along at 7 and 8 knots consistently. The Swan 56 lives up to its promise. It was intelligently conceived and beautifully finished. I have a suspicion that in a few years' time, we will be calling the 56 the latest Nautor Swan classic.”
Sailing Magazine – November 2008
- Our understanding is that the vessel is exempt from the Recreational Craft Directive as she was first placed into use prior to 16th June 1998.
Hull and deck Construction:
- The hull is of single skin construction using glass/aramid hybrid fibre reinforced polyester laminate.
- A high proportion of the fibres are unidirectional, giving a stiff laminate with excellent strength and fatigue properties.
- Hull finished in gelcoat NGA 2000 white,
- Coaming boot line in Awlgrip dark blue G 5002 over gelcoat.
- The transom opens hydraulically with bathing platform and separate swimming ladder.
- Teak deck and teak toe rail.
- Hull epoxy system replaced with Interprotect Interlux system - 2010
- New antifouling (2018).
Keel & Rudder:
- The keel is a lead casting with antimony and carefully finished to accurate shape.
- New JP3 lower rudder bearing system from Nautor installed 2012.
Engine & gearbox:
- Yanmar 4JH2-UTBE 96 HP, turbo, marine diesel, 71KW, 3600 rpm,
- Reduction gearbox 3.3:1.
- Fresh water engine cooling
- Single lever throttle control
Service & Maintenance:
- Engine hours – approx. 4,000hrs as of May 2018
- Hours run since comprehensive engine rebuild – approx 2,000
Propulsion & Steering:
- 3-bladed Gori folding propeller with overdrive
- Helm pedestal with large diameter hide-covered stainless steel wheel
- 24vDC primary domestic system with 12vDC starting circuit and 220v AC via shore power, generator or inverter.
- 1x 12vDC 135Ah engine start battery - 2016
- 1x 12vDC 90Ah generator start battery - 2016
- 24vDC service battery bank supplying 430Ah @ 20h
- Further 24vDC service bank supplying 180Ah @ 5h
- 24vDC radio battery – 2016
- 24vDC bowthruster batteries - 2012
- DCC4000 battery monitoring system for service battery bank
Charging / Inverter:
- Victron 80Amp battery charger for primary service bank - 2015
- 25Amp battery charger for secondary service bank
- Victron battery charger for radio battery - 2016
- Mastervolt 24/1500 1.5kw inverter
- Coelmo 7.4w 220vAC diesel generator – installed May 2018
- 75Amp engine-mounted alternator for charging service batteries - 2016
- 80Amp engine-mounted alternator for charging start battery - 2016
- 50Amp generator-mounted alternator for charging generator start battery
- Mastervolt GI3.5 isolation transformer
- 220v shore power supply with ring main
PLUMBING & GAS SYSTEMS
- Hot & cold pressurised water supply with twin 24v Flojet pressure pumps
- 40 litre hot water tank with engine driven calorifier and 220vAC immersion heater element
- Selmar 220 litre per hour reverse osmosis watermaker - 2006
- Electric bilge pump with automatic control
- 2x Whale Titan manual bilge pumps
- 590 litres fuel capacity in stainless steel tanks
- 670 litres fresh water capacity in stainless steel tanks
NAVIGATION & COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT
- B&G Hercules 2000 instruments - 2004
- 5x FFD displays
- 1x analogue 360 degree repeater
- 3x 20/20 repeaters at mast
- 1x repeater in owner’s cabin
- Electronic compass replaced 2015
- B&G Hercules autopilot
- Raytheon SL72 radar/chart plotter with 36Nm scanner
- Marine PC connected to GPS and plotter system with 14” screen
- Garmin chart plotter at helm with charts for Med, Caribbean and East Coast USA
- Raytheon GPS
- JRC 200 DGPS
- AIS – 2015
- Suunto steering compass
- VHF Shipmate RS 8400 and handset with DSC control and RS 8422 kit with converter.
- VHF handset in aft cockpit with switch and loudspeaker.
- Loud hailer 430 with cockpit speaker.
- Intercom from the helm to all cabins and the galley.
- Antenna Delta Pacific, for VHF, TV/FM, and Windex.
- SSB ICOM with Pactor 2 system for e mail and weather chart.
- Insulated backstay for SSB radio, antenna receiver and transmitter.
- Antenna for mobile phone installed in masthead, CXL 900-1, 900 MHz.
- Satellite phone – Sailor Iridium (2015) at chart table, with external aerial.
- Gas cooker, Alpes Inox with 4 burners and oven.
- Alpes Inox extractor hood over cooker.
- Top loading fridge / freezer.
- Galley with Corian work top.
- Front opening fridge with teak front.
- Fridge and freezer 220v from shore power, plus an engine driven system.
- Nespresso (2013).
- Washing Machine Electrolux EW 170 5kg.
Heads & Showers:
- 24vDC vacuum flush heads
- Hot & cold pressurised showers
- Shower and bathing platform
Heating & Ventilation:
- 220vAC reverse-cycle air conditioning - 16000 BTU for owner's cabin and fore cabin; 7000 BTU for starboard aft guest cabin; 16000 BTU in saloon.
- TV 16" liquid crystal screen. Video player. - 2011
- Hard Disk with 1200 movies.
- Radio stereo with 4 x 50 watt Bluetooth speakers (2018).
- Radio / cassette CD player with loudspeakers in cockpit and saloon.
Summary of Accommodation:
- Customised interior plan with two guest cabins aft, owner cabin and focsle.
- Two guest cabins aft - starboard aft cabin has double bed and the port cabin has twin beds (upper and lower).
- Aft companionway leads from aft cockpit to the starboard aft cabin.
- There is a connecting door from the starboard cabin to the port one.
- Each cabin with lockers and stowage.
- From the port side aft cabin a door leads forward to the galley
- Fully equipped galley including cooker, fridge, freezer, lockers, drawers etc.
- From the galley inboard a door leads into the engine room.
- From the starboard aft cabin a door leads to the aft toilet / shower compartment – from which a door leads out forward to the chart area / saloon.
- Forward facing chart table with seat, drawers, stowage and chart locker above.
- The main companionway from the central cockpit leads down on the centre line to the aft area of the saloon between the chart table and galley.
- Saloon with sofa on port side and lockers outboard - to starboard is an L shape sofa and a dining table, removable chairs fit on the centreline.
- Lockers outboard to starboard.
- The owner’s cabin is situated forward of the saloon over full width and has a double bed set to starboard, lockers and wardrobe to port.
- Forward is an ensuite head area with wash-basin and to starboard is a separate shower unit.
- There are two pipe-cot style berths in the forward “fo’c’sle”. Under the berths is sail stowage.
- The teak interior was re-varnished in 2005 by Nautor service yard.
- Two series of covers for dinette, sofas and chairs.
- Nautor aluminium mast with 3 sets of spreaders.
- Mast, boom, spinnaker boom Awlgrip white painted – 2010
- Stainless steel rod standing rigging
- V1’s replaced 2010
- V2’s, V3’s and D4 shrouds re-headed - 2010
- Harken System B track for fully battened mainsail, with lazy jacks.
- Separate track for trysail.
- 2 folding steps on mast.
- Runners and check stays in Aramid fibre white.
- Reckmann RS 2000/40 manual forestay furler
- Carbon fibre spinnaker pole.
- Jockey pole.
- White bowsprit for Code 0
- Navtec 50 hydraulic system with control unit in cockpit, single gauge, for: backstay, boom-vang, inner forestay and the flattener
- Gybe preventer for boom
- Check stay, stay and baby – in aramid
- 2x Lewmar 77/3 AEST 3-speed electric self-tailing primary winches
- 1x Lewmar 64 AEST 2-speed electric self-tailing winch
- 1x Lewmar 64 AST 2-speed manual self-tailing winch
- 2x Lewmar 54 AEST 2-speed electric self-tailing winches
- 4x Lewmar 54 AST 2-speed manual self-tailing winches
- 2x Lewmar 44 AST 2-speed manual self-tailing winches
- 2x Lewmar 40 AST 2-speed manual self-tailing winches
- North Sails Spectra grey fully-battened mainsail - 2015
- North Sails Spectra fully-battened mainsail – 2007
- North Sails Norlam fully-battened mainsail – 2000
- North Sails Spectra 140% furling genoa – 2014
- North Sails Spectra 140% furling genoa
- North Sails Norlam 145% furling genoa
- North Sails Dacron staysail
- North Sails No.1 Kevlar light/medium race genoa
- North Sails No.3 Kevlar race genoa
- North Sails No.4 Kevlar race genoa
- North Sails 0.90oz gennaker with sock
- North Sails 0.50oz symmetric spinnaker
- 2x North Sails 0.75oz symmetric spinnakers
- 1x North Sails 1.5oz symmetric spinnaker
- TriSail and Storm Jib - 2016
- Pushpit, pulpit and twin gaurdwire stanchions
- White painted aluminium pole for scanner and antennas at transom
- Cockpit table
- Carbon 2.60m passarelle
- Saltwater deck wash at bow
Covers & Canvas:
- Spray-hood over main companionway in central cockpit - 2012
- Large spray hood for aft cockpit companionway - 2014
- Large sun awning from mast to stern.
- Cushions for aft and central cockpit.
- Sun Bimini at the aft cockpit - 2015
Tender & Outboard:
- AB 3.10m tender
- Yamaha 15hp outboard engine
Anchoring & Mooring:
- Lewmar Ocean 3 24vDC electric anchor windlass with remote control in aft cockpit.
- CQR 60 lbs anchor with chain
- Second chain roller on stem-head.
- Warps and fenders
General note on safety equipment: Any safety equipment such as liferafts, Epirbs, fire extinguishers and flares etc. are usually personal to the current owner(s) and if being left on-board as part of the sale of a used vessel may require routine servicing, replacement, or changing to meet a new owners specific needs.
- RINA inspection completed May 2018 and certificate renewed for 5yrs
- 2x Liferafts, 8 person & 4 person.
- 12 life jackets.
- Life guards.
- Extinguisher "total flooding" for engine compartment with remote control near main entrance.
- 2 x Manual MOB.
Lying Formia, Italy
Available to view strictly by appointment
Office Hours Mon- Fri 0900 – 17.00
Saturday by prior appointment
For more information or to arrange a viewing please contact us.
Please Note: Due to the varying locations of our yachts, your travel time and the distances that may be involved, we recommend that you only make arrangements to view if you are actively considering purchase.
Lead Broker: Michele Antonini – Grabau International (Italia)
Tel: +39 333 74 89 281 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact Alex Grabau at +44(0)1590 673715
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Designer: German Frers
Hull Shape: Monohull
LOA: 17.53 m
Beam: 4.73 m
LWL: 15.08 m
Minimum Draft: 2.75 m
Maximum Draft: 2.75 m
Displacement: 21500 kgs
Ballast: 6230 kgs
Total Power: 96 HP
Engine Brand: Yanmar
Year Built: 1998
Engine Model: 4JH2-UTBE
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 4000
Propeller: 3 blade propeller
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 96 HP
Fresh Water Tanks: Stainless steel (670 Liters)
Fuel Tanks: Stainless steel (590 Liters)
Number of twin berths: 2
Number of double berths: 3
Number of cabins: 4
Number of heads: 2
Number of bathrooms: 2
Wind speed and direction
Fully battened mainsail
Manual bilge pump
Fresh water maker
Electric bilge pump
Shore power inlet
Electrical Circuit: 24V
Grabau International (Italia) offers the details of all vessels in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information or warranty the condition of any vessel and the details do not constitute a part of any contract. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. All vessels are offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice. Grabau International (Italia) provides professional yacht conveyancing and legal transfer of title for all yachts as per the ABYA Code of Practice with all deposit payments and final balance payments processed through secure dedicated client accounts solely for that purpose. Dedicated client accounts provided by stakeholder Grabau International Limited are written in trust at Natwest Bank and we are fully insured.
Other Boats from Grabau International