1998 Laurent Giles 44
- View Full Specifications
Priced to sell!
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Stromstad, Sweden
- Hull Material:
- Last Listed Price:
- £ 69,000 Tax Paid (US$ 87,616)
Smaller Blue Water cruiser would be considered for Part Exchange.
Compass Rose is a Laurent Giles designed steel gaff yawl. Eight berths in total with one double berth and six single berths in two cabins and 6' 4" of headroom throughout the boat. Perkins 3.152 48hp marine diesel engine.
We look forward to organising your viewing and answering any questions you may have.
Rhu Boat Sales, Michael Schmidt & Partner, Tel: +0044(0)1436 821606 - firstname.lastname@example.org
IMPORTANT NOTICE PLEASE READ
Boats are available for viewing on PONTOONS, HARD STANDING (ladder access), on MOORINGS and in some cases FURTHER AFIELD. Please contact us before hand to check the location of the vessel you wish to view and any special requirements. If you are traveling a distance this is especially important in order to make sure the boats you wish to view are in their advertised location and available for viewing.
Please contact at +44 (0)1436 821606
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
LOA: 15.50 m
Beam: 4.0 m
Length on Deck: 13.50 m
Minimum Draft: 1.60 m
Maximum Draft: 2.40 m
Displacement: 16000 kgs
Ballast: 5000 kgs
Total Power: 48 HP
Engine Brand: Perkins
Year Built: 1998
Engine Model: 3.152
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 1310
Propeller: 3 blade propeller
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 48 HP
Fresh Water Tanks: 3 (250 Liters)
Fuel Tanks: 1 (400 Liters)
Holding Tanks: 1 (80 Liters)
Dimensions / General Information
Designed by Laurent Giles and Built by Max Monsarrat in 1998.
- LOA: 15.5m (with the bowsprit retracted it is reduced to 14m)
- Beam: 4m.
- Min draft: 1.5m - 2.4m max draft with centreboard lowered.
- Displacement: 16 tonnes.
- Keel ballast: 5 tonnes.
- Diesel Tankag: 400ltr diesel tank (located under the engine in the keel)
- Water Tankage: 750ltr stainless steel water tanks (under the cabin sole and below the settees in the main saloon.
- Grey holding tank: 30ltr.
- Black holding tank: 80ltr.
Hull and Construction
The hull is steel and is in black and the deck and superstructure are also steel and are in white and grey.
Commissioned in 1998 and fitted out to a high standard with many modern materials and ideas whilst preserving the classic look. Extensive inventory and an exceptionally comfortable, dry and sea-kindly boat.
A real classic, ideal for live aboard, coastal and offshore sailing.
Set up for short-handed sailing.
Throughout construction, the 'classic' look has been preserved while using as many new materials and ideas as possible to be consistent with that look.
- Hull has four chines (each reinforced) - avoiding the usual sardine-can look of many steel boats.
- Deck - 3mm plate
- Hull - 4mm plate
- Sides of the keel box - 8mm plate
- Base of the keel - 10mm plate
- Deck & Mast fittings - A4 316L stainless steel - all surfaces that liable to wear are reinforced with 8mm stainless steel round bars
- Steel was sandblasted and treated with approximately 14 coats of Awlgrip epoxy & polyurethane paint.
- Awlgrip epoxy also painted inside and then spray insulated with 5cms of close-celled polyurethane with covers the underside of the deck and 40cms below the water line.
Compass Rose has a lifting keel (min draft 1.5m to 2.4m keel down) and a skeg rudder wheel steering with Whitlock Mamba gear in an aft style cockpit. The 1100kg cast-iron centreboard can be raised and lowered by a pulley system through the deck to the port side mast winch.
8 berths in total with 1 double berth and 6 single berths in 2 cabins. 6' 4" of headroom throughout the boat, Dickinson diesel & wood burning stove heating in the main saloon and the interior is finished in a mixture of chestnut & Elm and blue wool upholstery.
- White tongue-and-groove ceiling.
- Traditional opening skylights - main saloon & fore-cabin - new covers 2015.
- Brass opening portholes throughout.
- 12v led cabin lighting.
Two single berths with lee boards with storage space beneath, port & stbd bookshelves and a hanging locker is forward.
Straight bench to port & starboard, with hinged, table to seat 2 or 4 with an extension that enables 8 people to sit. Both benches convert to bunks with lee cloths and there are pipe cot berths hidden away on either side above the benches.
PAR manual toilet, washbasin with manual cold water, self-draining shower with hot and cold water pressurised via stainless steel calorifier. The toilet discharges either straight overboard or into a holding tank that can be emptied either by its own dedicated Henderson pump or through a land-based pumping system.
SMEV 4 burner gas hob with oven and grill, double stainless steel sinks with manual cold fresh & sea water via a foot pump, Isotherm fridge and ample storage space in shelves, lockers and drawers.
Double Aft Cabin
110cm-wide bunk with storage underneath and hanging cupboard with shelves.
Perkins 3.152 3 cylinder 48hp inboard marine diesel engine with shaft drive to a 3 blade fixed prop.
- Freshwater cooling from a tank.
- Engine extractor fan.
- 1310 engine hours.
- Borg-Warner gearbox.
- Morse controls.
- Last serviced Feb 17.
The engine is cooled by a tank built into the side of the hull of the boat below the water line. (meaning there are no impellers or filters or sea cocks to check).
The exhaust is dry and well insulated and exits under the counter with a one-way valve that prevents seawater getting into the system.
The ships 12v electrical system is powered by 2 12v 110ah domestic batteries and 1 12v 100ah engine start battery - all new 2014 Platinum Extreme. Electrical switchboard located at navigation station includes separate mains fuse box with 30mA RCD and reverse polarity protection.
- 220v shore power with cable.
- Engine alternator (90ah) charges the batteries.
- Sterling Marine battery charger and engine management system.
- 2 x 100-watt solar panels with a separate regulator to batteries.
Mast, Rigging and Sails
Gaff rigged yawl with Douglas Fir masts - new Mizzen mast 2016, aluminium gaff and booms, stainless steel standing rigging with Norseman terminals and braid on braid running rigging which has been partially replaced in 2014.
- Slab reefing on the mainsail and mizzen.
- Sail covers for all sails.
- Lazy Jacks - main & mizzen.
- Douglas Fir bowsprit.
- Mainsail - Synthetic in good condition.
- Yankee - Synthetic in good condition.
- Staysail - Synthetic in good condition.
- Mizzen - Synthetic in very good condition.
- Topsail - Synthetic in good condition.
- Mizzen staysail Synthetic as new.
- Gennaker with a sock.
Deck and Deck Equipment
Easily navigated wide side decks lead to the very spacious foredeck which is all secured by a stainless steel pulpit, stainless steel stanchions with double stainless steel guard wires with port & stbd gates.
- Retractable 2m bowsprit.
- Double bow roller.
- Anchorman 1200w electric anchor windlass with foot and remote control.
- 30kg Bruce anchor with 50m of chain.
- FX37 kedge anchor.
- Anchor chain locker, via a deck hatch which has full standing headroom.
- 12 warps.
- 8 mooring cleats.
- 8 fenders - new 2014.
- Hot & cold deck shower.
- Stainless steel boarding ladder.
- Sprayhood - new 2015.
- Hatch covers all new 2015.
- Aluminium bottom 3m RIB by Ocean - 2016.
- Removeable derrick to assist putting an outboard in place.
- Sail locker in the large cockpit for an outboard, petrol canisters, warps and fenders.
- 2 x 5kg gas bottles are stowed just under the aft deck and are equipped with an Alde leak detector.
- Shurflow electric wash-down pump for the anchor chain.
- Electric winch for mainsail halyard.
- 2 x 2-speed self tailing manual halyard winches.
- 2 x 2 speed self tailing manual primary winches.
- 2 x 2speed self tailing manual secondary winches.
- 4 winch handles.
- Icom ICM58VHF radio 2004.
- Silva Nexus GPS.
- Silva Nexus wind speed and direction.
- Silva Nexus echosounder.
- Silva Nexus Speed/Log.
- Suunto Compass.
- Admiralty chart size storage.
- Tank sender unit to monitor levels of the diesel and water tanks.
- The navigation area is equipped with a sprung, shaped seat that in a former life was mounted on an ancient tractor!
- Gusher type manual bilge pump.
- Electric manual bilge pump.
- Fire blanket.
- 3 manual fire extinguishers.
- 3 harnesses.
- 2 harness points in the cockpit.
- 2 lifebuoys.
- Navigation lights - masthead tri-colour, anchor light, port & stbd running lights and an aft light on the mizzen mast.
- Manual horn.
- Navtext receiver.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
General note on safety equipment: Any safety equipment such as life rafts, Epirbs, fire extinguishers and flares etc. are usually personal to the current owner(s) and if being left on-board as part of the sale of a used vessel may require routine servicing, replacement, or changing to meet a new owner’s specific needs.
Whilst we make best effort to obtain documentation from Vendors it is advisable to check what is available before travelling to view or making an offer.