1989 Sabre 38
- View Full Specifications
Huge Refit, Shoal Draft
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Harpswell, ME
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- US$ 89,000
This Sabre 38 MKII Keel/CB has enjoyed a very high level of care and frequent equipment upgrades under her current long term ownership since 1991(please read the full specs for details). Typical of New England boats she is stored out of the water eight months a year. Since 2009 that has been in inside heated storage. These two stateroom performance cruisers afford spacious accommodations and wonderful sailing characteristics. For those who envision being in a slip, the fact that she has a bow thruster will be a huge plus!
"A Certified Professional Yacht Broker and Past President of the Yacht Brokers Association of America, Bill holds an Unlimited Master Mariner's License and has over 40 years experience in marine fields. Bill has been a broker with ECYS since 1998.".
Please contact Bill Full, CPYB at 207-846-4545
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Designer: Roger Hewson
Hull Shape: Displacement
LOA: 38 ft 0 in
Beam: 12 ft 4 in
LWL: 31 ft 5 in
Minimum Draft: 4 ft 3 in
Maximum Draft: 8 ft 0 in
Displacement: 17300 lbs
Ballast: 7000 lbs
Engine Brand: Westerbeke
Year Built: 1989
Engine Model: WB38
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 2000
Propeller: 3 blade propeller
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Cruising Speed: 6 mph
Maximum Speed: 7 mph
Fresh Water Tanks: 2 Plastic (106 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: 1 Aluminum (45 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: 1 Plastic (30 Gallons)
Max Draft: 4'3"/8'
The Sabre 38 MK II accommodates up to seven in a two stateroom layout with 6'-4" headroom throughout (all berths & settees are 6'-6") with a full varnished teak interior with varnished teak and holly sole. There is abundant natural light and ventilation given her four large fixed ports and eleven opening ports along with three polished stainless steel dorades and two large and four smaller hatches. Artificial lighting is equally well addressed with swivel style reading lamps at each berth/settee as well as several overhead dome style lamps.
Starting forward is the Master Stateroom featuring a generous V-Berth below which there are large cargo drawers. Above the berth the hull is lined with varnished ash "ceilings" and a full length teak storage shelf. Aft and to starboard is a hanging locker while opposite to port is a dressing seat with storage under and two lockers outboard as well as a small vanity and sink with H&C pressure water.
Next aft is the Main Salon with L-Settee that makes out into a double berth to port and straight settee to starboard. Both settees have tankage and some storage under. Behind the settees there is storage as well as in teak lockers and shelves above. Dining is from a foldaway table that stows at the forward bulkhead when not in use. Hidden behind the table is a glass/storage rack.
The aft facing Nav. Station is just aft of the starboard settee and features a bench seat, flip top type chart table with chest of drawers below. The yacht's electrical distribution panels are above as are navigational instruments and storage in two lockers.
Opposite the L-Shaped galley detailed below while aft is the Head featuring vanity with stainless steel sink with H&C pressure water, separate shower area draining to its own sump, manual w.c. plumbed via a Y-Valve to the holding tank.
Aft of the galley is the private Aft Cabin with queen width berth above where the hull is lined with varnished "ceilings" and then under deck lockers. Forward of the berth is a dressing seat outboard and then a large hanging locker.
- 3 12 vdc Hella cabin fans
- Jensen AM/FM/CD stereo with Bose speakers in Salon & Cockpit 2002
- Cabin sole refinished 2007
- Includes fitted sheets and blankets for both cabins
Generous storage and counter space are found in the L-Shaped galley which is to port with Formica topped counters with deep double basin stainless steel sink with pressure and manual fresh water. Large icebox with Seafrost refrigeration upgraded 2006. Regal gimballed 4 burner CNG stove with oven.
Sails and Rigging
Aluminum mast and boom Awlgripped white with rod rigging. Mast head height is 55'-6" not including head gear. The following replacements have been done to the rig: mast splice inspected 2010, new upper spreader tips 2011, new top spreaders 2013, new lower spreader tips 2013, new rod headstay and backstay and intermediate stays 2017. The following running rigging has been replaced: Mainsheet 2014, Jib halyard 2013, reef line 2017 and outhaul line, Main halyard 2013
(Every other year the primary canvas goes to the sail maker for cleaning and service.)
- Harken Batt cars for main
- Harken Roller Furler
- Lewmar 52ST 2 speed primaries (these are optional oversized primaries)
- Lewmar 30ST 2 speed main halyard and reefing line winch 1993
- Lewmar 40ST mainsheet winch (optional oversized)
- Lewmar 30ST 2 speed geneoa halyard winch
- Lewmar 30ST spinnaker halyard winch
- Mainsail cover
- Dutchman furling system 2003
- Full battened Mainsail with 2 reef points 2002 extensive service 2015
- 130% roller furl genoa 2001
- 90% app blade jib 1994 rarely used
- 3/4 oz. radial cut spinnaker with ATN 1995 light use
- Spinnaker pole overhauled with new fitting 2009
Electronic equipment is located at both the Nav. Station and the helm, fully equipped for coastal cruising.
- Magellan Hand Held GPS with external power and antenna
- Standard Horizon VHF
- Raymarine RL72RC chart plotter/radar on Edson swivel mount 2001, Raystar GPS antenna and 2 kw radome
- Garmin GMI-10 speed/depth/temp 2010
- Datamarine wind point and speed re-built 2007
- Bow thruster control
- Ritchie 6" magnetic compass with new binnacle cover
Wired for 12 Volt DC and 110 Volt AC, service.
12 VOLT DC
- Switch panel with breakers
- Volt & Amp meters
- (2) Group 27 house batteries gel cell 2017
- 1 Group 24 engine start battery gel cell 2015
- 50 amp Alternator
- 12 volt outlet
110 VOLT AC
- Switch panel with breakers
- Volt & Amp meters
- 30 amp shore power connection in cockpit
- 50' 30 amp shore power cord
- 6 110 Volt outlets
- 40 amp battery charger
- 12 Gal Raritan Hot water heater (also engine supplied)
Freshwater cooled Westerbeke 38B turns a 3 bladed 16" Maxprop on a 1" shaft.
- Racor fuel filter
- Aquadrive coupling
- Engine compartment light
- Electric bilge pump 2015
- Manual bilge pump 2016
- Macerator pump
- Spare 2 bladed fixed propeller
- Shaft spurs added 2006
- Seafrost engine driven refrigeration upgraded 2006
- Main crankshaft pully and raw water pump new 2008
- Exhaust riser 2010
- New steering gear chain and cable and blocks overhauled 2017
- New Wilcox manual W.C. 2006
- New thru hull for holding tank discharge 2004
- New fresh water pump and accumulator tank 2016
Hull & Deck
Single unit end grain balsa cored hand laminated fiberglass hull with Vinyl Ester Resin in the exterior laminate for superior osmotic blistering resistance. The hull is was Awlgripped Aristo Blue in 1996 and kept waxed with the Awlcare wax system as appropriate and still is in very good condition. The bottom is finished with ablative anti fouling. Single unit hand laminated fiberglass deck with end grain balsa coring and marine grade plywood coring in areas of high stress with two tone finish, moon dust molded in non-skid on white. Teak trim accents finished with Cetol clear in the cockpit area while for ease of maintenance the toe rails, grab rails and brow have been stripped a few years ago and left bare.
Large 8'+ cockpit with sail locker to port and good sized lazarette aft. The cockpit coamings and other brightwork was stripped and refinished in 2017. Edson pedestal steering. Wide side decks lead forward. Recessed anchor locker, double life lines with s/s stanchions, s/s pulpit and pushpit. Bow roller and built in swim ladder.
- Maxwell VW1200 single direction electric windlass with rope and chain gypsy 2005
- 35 lb Galvanized CQR regalvanized 2007 with 100' chain and 100' rode 2015
- 2nd Danforth with 100' rode
- Salt water wash down forward 2015
- (4) S/S dorade vents
- Cockpit H&C shower
- Cockpit cushions 2012
- Dodger 1997, re-stitched 2009 & 2016, new windows 2016
- Grab rails added to dodger 2008
- Helm Bimini 2008
- Cockpit boom awning
- 4 Type I PFDs
- Flare Kit
- Horseshoe lifering
- 3 fire extinguishers
- Teak cockpit table
- 3 fenders, 4 docklines
- Magma stainless steel propane grill
- Bosun's chair
- 2 new fixed ports 2004
- 2 new opening ports 2017
This Sabre 38 MKII has had great care under the current long term second ownership. She has been seasonally used in New England and under both owners and has been stored inside during the off season since 2009. Given her extensive upgrading, we believe she is very attractively priced and should be seriously considered by those looking for a great performing cruising sailboat affording the privacy that a two stateroom layout offers. A huge plus for those who would be keeping her dockside is the bow thruster.
- 10' 2007 Zodiac RIB with 2002 3.5 hp Tohatsu outboard motor
(Items not specifically listed in this listing do not convey.)
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
Other Boats from East Coast Yacht Sales
Harpswell, ME, United States
Cumberland, ME, United States
Boothbay Harbor, ME, United States