1986 Custom Alloy 72 Sloop
- View Full Specifications
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Marigot Bay, St. Lucia
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- £ 299,500 (US$ 377,041)
Italian style and panache with robust build for serious passage making without effort. She has had a number of significant refits through life, the last of which was carried out at Pendennis in the UK. She is now professionally maintained and has been successful on the charter market, but would also be excellent for serious world cruising. She has an epic beech interior into which light floods. She turns heads wherever she goes.
Please contact Sue Grant at +44 (0)1590 679222
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Builder: Yacht Officine Pesaro SRL
Designer: Giorgetti & Magrini - Milan
LOA: 71 ft 11 in
Beam: 19 ft 0 in
LWL: 59 ft 0 in
Minimum Draft: 12 ft 10 in
Total Power: 350 HP
Engine Brand: Caterpillar
Engine Model: 3126 TA
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Power: 350 HP
Number of single berths: 8
Number of cabins: 4
Number of heads: 4
RCD Status: The yacht conforms with the essential safety requirements of Directive 94/25EC or RCDII (2013/53/EU as appropriate (Recreational Craft Directive) and is A – “Ocean”
Hull, Deck & Superstructure Construction:
- Aluminum hull, deck and superstructure using ¾-inch plate below the waterline and ½-inch plate above.
- Teak laid deck that requires some attention in high wear areas on the foredeck.
- Hull repainted in 2003 in Awlgrip color ‘Flag Blue’ at Hamble Yacht Services. The paint has faded from original.
- Flag Blue color, especially starboard side which has had more sun, but still looks good after Awlcare.
- Protective Polymer Sealer (which is regularly applied).
- Superstructure repainted in 2005 in Awlgrip color ‘Castle Tan’ at Pendennis and refinished by PaintTech St Martin in 2012.
- Below waterline painted annually in Seahawk Biotin color white at Peakes.
Keel & Rudder:
- Fin Keel.
- Spade rudder
Engine & Gearboxes:
- Caterpillar 3126 TA, 6 cylinder in-line 350hp turbo-charged diesel engine with transmission oil cooler installed new 2005.
- A Twin Disc Inc. of Wisconsin 2.47:1 marine transmission reduction gearbox was new in 2005 and the stern gear refurbished with a shaft seal by SureSeal System from Tides Marine of Florida which includes a water pick-up kit to cool and lubricate the shaft seal.
- Engine room refitted 2005 at Pendennis Shipyard Ltd, UK, including new engine and generator. In addition, much of the pipe-work to services etc. was upgraded or replaced at that time. It is an exceptionally tidy installation with all engine servicing points easily accessible.
Maintenance & Performance:
- Usual cruising speed under engine: 9 knots. Maximum speed under engine: 11 knots.
- Long range fuel consumption averages 10 litre per hour to give a ‘to dry tank/no reserve’ cruising range with full tank under economy power (1,400rpm) of 1,540 nautical miles @ 7 knots. 2 x 220Ah.
- Racor fuel filtration. Long range cruising speed under engine at economy power setting: 7 knots.
Propulsion & Steering:
- Solimar steering.
- 22” 3-bladed Max-prop propeller refurbished 2018.
- Emergency steering gear.
- Bow thruster - Sidepower SP220 tunnel unit, with its own batteries and charging circuit (2003).
- 24vDC domestic system with 220v from generator and/or shorepower.
- 12V start batteries new 2015. 5,562.2 hours total time as at May 10th, 2019.
- New 12V generator start battery in 2017.
- Bowthruster 2 x 12V 90Ah batteries new 2019, and unit refurbished 2007.
- Service batteries are 24 x Exide 2V wet cells in 2 banks of 12 cells with total of 1,240 Ah. All new in 2018.
- Dedicated Victron digital battery monitor at chart table.
- Victron Phoenix 16aH charger for radio and bow thruster batteries (2003).
- 2 x Victron Skylla 24V/80A chargers new in 2018.
- Victron Phoenix Combi 24V (2kW inverter/ 50A charger).
- Dedicated Victron Phoenix 24V/16A charger new in 2018.
- Two 50A alternators.
- Generator -17.5 kW Onan, 240V 50Hz (European standard) single phase with remote start (2005).
- New 12V start battery in 2017. Fuel consumption averages 2.5 liter per hour under typical loads. 22,151.3 hours total time as at May 10th, 2019.
- 220v - 50 amp - 50 htz standard European - but you can run 110v USA appliances through a converter.
Fresh Water & Water Heating System: .
- 2 x 240V AC hot water boilers (forward 2015 and aft 2008).
- Spectra Newport 400 DC powered. 16 US gallons/60 liter per hour (2003 but constantly upgraded with new vane pump, main motor, control board CPU upgrade 2017.
- Clarke pump 2018, membrane 2018), & with an auxiliary March feed pump to increase the supply water pressure and to guarantee rated output from water maker.
- Gianneschi pigtail-drive waste pump (new 2016).
- Salt water deck wash/fire pump (2003).
- High-volume electric bilge pump/grey water pump (2017).
- Emergency electric bilge pump for main bilge (2008).
- Electronic (no moving parts) high water alarms in all three bilge areas.
- 2 x Fresh water pressure pumps for domestic water system (2016).
- Manual Patay bilge pump (2008).
- 1 x U shaped baffled stainless-steel diesel fuel tank feeding engine and generator, with a single wide fill point on port side, holding 581 US gallons (2,200 litres).
- 2 x Stainless steel freshwater tanks with single point fill on port side, holding a total of 290 gallons (1,100 litres).
- Port and starboard tanks are cross-linked / isolated as required.
Grey/Blackwater holding tanks:
- 2 x Grey water tanks capacity 41 US gallons (155 litres).
- 1 x Black water tank with high level alarm & ultra-sonic contents level gauge - capacity 38 US gallons (144 litres).
- Brookes & Gatehouse Hydra 2000 system (dual depth and speed transducers - speed paddles and depth transducers on port and starboard with gravity switches to switch from side to side), FFDs in cockpit and at navigation, 2003.
- Brookes & Gatehouse Hydro Pilot 2 system with Accu-Steer Inc. of Bellingham WA HPU-75 3.21 litres/minute constant running pump and Accu-Steer ram all 2003 (except hydraulic ram) - all refurbished 2006 at Pendennis, new seals in ram 2008 Gosport.
- Raytheon RL80C 10" color combined chart plotter and radar display in navigation station 2003.
- Raytheon RL80C 10" color combined chart plotter and radar display by helm in cockpit, including daylight viewing 2003.
- Raystar 120 GPS system 2010.
- Raymarine ST290 MOB unit at cockpit.
- Ritchie steering compass on steering pedestal.
- Autohelm electronic hand bearing compass.
At chart table:
- Navtex ICS Nav 6 (2006) at chart table.
- Icom VHF radio Command Mike remote unit and Raytheon Ray 430 loudhailer/foghorn/intercom system in cockpit on engine panel with repeater engine instruments, remote windlass control, general call alarm, & all exterior lighting switches.
- Icom 506VHF unit with DSC and AIS receiver (2017) & Skanti TRP 8251 long range MF/HF Transceiver at the chart table.
- Alpes 4-burner gas cooker with oven.
- Twin sinks with mixer taps, and with carbon filter.
- Solar DOM LG micro/grill/convection combination oven.
- Deep freeze + 3 fridges at galley using Iceberg AC500 system (240V) (2003), refurbished with new compressors 2005.
- Drinks fridge at galley, using Danfoss 24V system (2003).
- U-Line icemaker installed new 2005 by galley / saloon.
- Washing machine Indesit (installed at crew head area).
- Full bed linen, towels cutlery and dinner service for charter work.
- 3 Silence Plus Tecma electric flush heads (2003).
- Jabsco manual head in crew cabin.
- All the forward head/shower areas were refitted 2006 in Palma, with the walls refinished with epoxy & a GRP smooth finish for easy wipe down.
- The head-linings were also renewed in forward areas in 2006.
Heating & Ventilation:
- 240V AC Air conditioning.
- Cruisair reverse cycle – fully refurbished by main dealer in 2003 and maintained since by Reefco in St. Thomas but due overhaul.
- 2 x 48,000 btu units give aircon throughout boat including the crew cabin.
- A high output 0.5hp March pump ensures efficient sea water cooling of compressors regardless of sea water temperature.
- Panasonic DVD home theatre System with surround sound (DVD/CD/tuner with aux inputs).
- Sharp LC30e 30" widescreen flat panel TV.
- Elan Z660 6 channel amplifier.
- B & W speakers throughout with remote controls in each cabin and on deck.
- RelQ150sub woofer system.
- Custom recessed navigation lights.
- Mast head tri-color and anchor light.
- Steaming light.
- Emergency navigation lights.
Summary of Accommodation:
The yacht is light and airy throughout with the use of an unusual combination of light spruce woods, stainless steel trim, teak hatch surrounds and white headlining. This look was specifically designed for the yacht by Gae Aulenti, the famous Italian interior designer and architect who designed, among other things: Le Musee d'Orsay in Paris; the Contemporary Art Gallery at the Centre Pompidou in Paris; the Palazzo Grassi in Venice; and the Asian Art Museum of San Francisco. Recent modernization of the interior detailing, and the “head and shower” areas, have improved the yacht even further.
Description of layout from forwards:
Acting as a storage area and workshop with AC & DC power sockets and built-in lockers for spares & tools, is accessed either by the large overhead deck hatch or via a watertight door that leads aft on the starboard side.
A crew (or guest) cabin, with upper and lower berths, lockers and, via a door to port, to its own ensuite with head washbasin / shower area. This area also houses the washing machine.
Heads and Showers:
Washbasin / shower area - and on again to the starboard twin guest cabin with upper and lower berths.
Starboard Guest Cabin:
Starboard side a door leads into the starboard guest ensuite with head (Tecma - electric/fresh water flush) / washbasin / shower area - and on again to the starboard twin guest cabin with upper and lower berths.
Port Guest Cabin:
To port forward of the saloon is another twin berth guest cabin and ensuite with head (Tecma - electric/fresh water flush) / washbasin / shower area set forward. All the forward head/shower areas were refitted 2006 in Palma, with the walls refinished with epoxy & a GRP smooth finish for easy wipe down. The head-linings were also renewed in forward areas in 2006.
The main saloon has large L shape seating areas set to port and starboard, port side with dining / coffee table, starboard side with modification in 2005 to a storage box / footrest unit. To port above the sofa is the entertainment center with a Samsung 32-inch LED TV (new 2008) with Panasonic Surround Sound and B&W speakers. There is good stowage and lockers on both sides. Carpets new in 2016, upholstery new 2005 in Palma. Headlining to saloon and aft cabin renewed 2005 at Pendennis. Note – the artwork in the saloon and cabins is specifically excluded from the sale.
Note – the artwork in the saloon and cabins is specifically excluded from the sale.
To port aft from the saloon is the chart table with instruments and electrical control panels for AC & DC systems. Past the navigation area the passageway leads aft to owner's stateroom.
From the passage there is access amidships to a well sound proofed engine room. Some systems like the aircon units, fridge compressors, grey water and bilge pumps, & the water maker membrane, are also installed in a separate space forward of the engine room and accessed from behind the companionway steps. The galley is aft of the main saloon to starboard and is fully equipped with an Alpes (Italian) four-burner propane stove top and oven (new 2012) (with remote solenoid tank closure and gas leak detection), and a microwave (new in 2018). Two aluminum 20 lb. propane cylinders are in a vented draining outside locker.
To port aft from the saloon is the chart table with instruments and electrical control panels for AC & DC systems. Past the navigation area the passageway leads aft to owner's stateroom. From the passage there is access amidships to a well sound proofed engine room. Some systems like the aircon units, fridge compressors, grey water and bilge pumps, & the water maker membrane, are also installed in a separate space forward of the engine room and accessed from behind the companionway steps.
The Owner's stateroom has two generous double berths (widened recently), also plenty of locker space and a washbasin stand on the starboard side. Forward on the starboard side is the ensuite with head (Tecma - electric/freshwater flush) / shower area. There is a direct companionway and hatch to the aft cockpit. The cabin and the head / shower area were refitted at Pendennis 2005, along with new breathable mattresses and under mattress springs by Hulsta. New hatch screens throughout in 2005 (sun shade / mosquito grill).
- Cutter-headed sloop rig.
- Alloy spars by Sparcraft.
- Three spreader keel stepped mast - finished in white Awlgrip.
- The mast has an Antal car system for fully battened mainsail (2008), and trysail track, also a Harken spinnaker track on front of the mast, and LED spreader lights.
- Mast was stripped, refitted and re-stepped 2003, plus later un-stepped again and inspected at Pendennis in 2005 including paint touched up, and the Navtec vang serviced.
- Sparcraft alloy boom with LED light over cockpit table, spinnaker pole and jockey pole - all finished in white Awlgrip all stripped, resprayed and refitted 2003.
- All new standing rigging by Reckmann Mast Systems 2003.
- Nitronic rod for backstay, forestay, VI, V2, V3 and D4; Dyform wire for Dl, D2, D3, inner forestay and baby-stay. All replaced St Martin 2012 by FKG with new CR4 turnbuckles for cap shrouds.
- Running back stays in 1 x 19 Dyform wire with Spectra tails and Dyform wire check-stays, also replaced 2012 by FKG. Annual rig-check by FKG for coding (commercial licensing) purposes.
- Navtec hydraulics for boom vang, backstay and baby stay, all stripped and serviced 2010. New Sailtec control panel for Navtec rams in 2017. Ram seal repairs as required by FKG, St Martin or Island Rigging, St. Thomas.
- Complete set of running rigging (including unused spinnaker sheets) with spares. The staysail sheets were new 2016, spectra main halyard new 2016.
- Reckmann RF90-3 electric furler system for genoa (2003 - new motor in 2013).
- Complete set of running rigging with spares.
- Primary winches for genoa sheets are 2 x custom, 3-speed units operated via twin cross linked coffee grinder pedestal systems set on the bridge deck.
- Staysail sheet winches (may also be used for genoa sheets when cruising shorthanded) are set at the aft cockpit and are two 65 self-tailing units.
- At the aft cockpit are two 55 self-tailing winches for the runners and a 65 self-tailing winch for the mainsheet.
- On the mid deck area at the foot of the mast is a Harken 74 (new 2010) electric 2 speed 24v self-tailing winch for the main halyard, along with three other manual 65's and two 55's (all self-tailing) for the other halyards, reefing and controls.
- All but one of the winches are by Lewmar and all were re-chromed and rebuilt 2003.
- All winches have protective Sunbrella covers 2014.
- North 1,259 square feet Dacron fully battened mainsail with 3 reefing points. Bought 2008 from North Sails, Gosport.
- Quantum 1,493 square feet, 120%, high-mass fiber 11.88oz, cross cut Dacron, furling genoa. Bought 2012 from Quantum, St. Thomas. New UV strip 2017.
- Doyle 485 square feet, 10.77oz cross cut Dacron, staysail/storm sail with rope-luff that requires modification to make it a hank-on sail. Bought 2016 from Turbulence, Grenada.
- North 1.5oz MPS (no spinnaker pole required for cruising chute) with sock & snuffer 2003.
- North trysail 2003.
- Sails inspected and maintained every year by Turbulence, Grenada or Ulmann, Trinidad with ‘in season’ sail maintenance by Quantum, St. Thomas.
- Total ‘3 sail’ sail area (excluding downwind cruising chute) is 3,237 square feet.
Sails in Storage:
- Sails in storage at Ullman Sails, Chaguaramas, Trinidad (storage cost $10/sail/month):
- North Gatorback spectra fully battened mainsail with 3 reefs 2003.
- Antal hardware removed for new Dacron mainsail in 2008.
- North All-purpose 1.5oz spinnaker with snuffer 2003.
- Sails serviced and repaired as necessary at Pendennis in 2005 and by North, Gosport, Portsmouth in 2008.
- Unused since then but professionally maintained and stored and believed to be sound.
- Donut, 2 sets of water skis (kids and adult sizes), wake board, snorkeling equipment.
- Large spares inventory for all equipment fitted.
- Passarelle / boarding gangway.
- Swimming / boarding ladder.
- Yale Security intruder alarm with motion sensors.
Anchoring & Mooring Equipment:
- Anchor windlass - Lofrans Team Project X4 24V electric – new motor in 2006.
- 105lb CQR anchor with 120m 12mm G70 chain (chain new 2018).
- Danforth kedge anchor with approx. 100m warp and 5m of chain.
- 6 Avon inflatable giant fenders.
- 4 Polyform HTM4 fenders with sock covers.
- 1 big ball fender.
- Mooring lines.
- Boat hook.
- Tow rope.
- Anchor light and day shape.
Covers, Canvas & Cushions:
- Teak varnished cockpit table with padded blue Sunbrella cover.
- Blue cockpit sprayhood (2003).
- Large beige Sunbrella sun awning, goes over boom, (2011).
- Beige Sunbrella sun awning, goes under boom for a quick erection (2011).
- Blue mainsail cover; Wheel & Binnacle cover; Fender skirt – all new 2003.
- New beige cockpit upholstery in 2005 with protective toweling covers 2019.
Tender & Outboard:
- Caribe 3.2m dinghy with Mariner 10 HP outboard (stored in forepeak).
- 2 x Hard case 6-man ocean safety life-rafts with SOLAS B packs inside (new 2016) in stainless cradles at aft cockpit with Hammar auto-release.
- 1 x 406 EBIRB with Hammar auto-release housing on stern rail.
- 1 x 121.5 PLB.
- Jotron Man overboard recovery system mounted on transom (2008).
- 2 Danbuoys with lights.
- 2 Horseshoe lifebuoys with lights and drogues (2016).
- Jackstays (2006).
- 3 Emergency grab bags to MCA specification (all in code with TPA’s).
- Offshore flare pack for MCA Cat 2 (in code) – in addition to flares in SOLAS B pack in liferafts.
- Emergency VHF aerial.
- Radar reflectors.
- Not Under Command lights & shapes.
- MCA cat 2 first aid kit (in date and as required to be in code).
- Automatic Sea-fire extinguisher system in engine room (2003).
- Chubb fire alarm detector in engine room and galley (2003).
- Smoke alarm in forepeak and elsewhere as required by coding.
- Fire extinguishers in every cabin.
- Gas detection and control system.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
Other Boats from Berthon
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Elliot 1850 Schooner
Bay of Islands, New Zealand
German Frers 60
Lymington, Hampshire, United Kingdom
Holman & Pye 53
Levington, Suffolk, United Kingdom
Lymington, Hampshire, United Kingdom