1985 Shannon 38 Ketch
- View Full Specifications
Go Cruising Now!
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Salem, MA
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- US$ 64,900
SooLoo is a good example of this esteemed offshore cruiser. The Shannon 38 is noted for their exceptional build quality, a sea-kindly hull form, and a versatile staysail ketch rig for all conditions. She is easy to sail short handed, won't snag lobster pots, and is ideal for a cruising couple that prefers classic elegance over contemporary veneers.
After a recent refit at the Shannon Boat Company, SooLoo received a Remanufactured to New certificate. She shows well and is priced to sell, representing an excellent value for this model.
Sooloo represents the best value on the market for this model.
Contact Sam Pollard by cell at 617-529-6153, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact Sam Pollard at 781-631-4910
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
LOA: 37 ft 9 in
Beam: 11 ft 6 in
LWL: 30 ft 0 in
Maximum Draft: 5 ft 0 in
Displacement: 18500 lbs
Ballast: 6500 lbs
Headroom: 6 ft 3 in
Total Power: 40 HP
Engine Brand: Perkins
Year Built: 1985
Engine Model: 4-108
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 776
Propeller: 3 blade propeller
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 40 HP
Cruising Speed: 6 knots @ 1800 RPM
Maximum Speed: 7 knots
Fuel Tanks: Aluminum
Number of heads: 1
SooLoo features a solid teak interior designed with offshore cruising in mind, with abundant handholds and substantial storage capacity. Ventilation is excellent and all ports are designed to withstand boarding seas. There are 4 excellent sea-berths, not including the V-berth.
Dual-chamber Chain Locker is forward with access from the V-berth
Large V-berth with storage and drawers underneath.
Opening hatch overhead and two bronze opening ports.
Two Cedar-lined hanging lockers aft to port, head aft to starboard.
2003 Groco toilet
Poly holding tank and macerator pump for O/B discharge. Tank needs repair or replacement
Y-valve for overboard or holding tank with deck pumpout.
Vanity with pull-out shower
Custom teak doors allow access from both the forward cabin and main salon.
Settee and pilot berth to port both with lee cloths. Settee pulls out to form a larger berth.
L-shaped settee to starboard (with lee cloth), pulls out to form larger berth.
Teak drop leaf dining table centerline seats six comfortably
Storage lockers outboard of starboard settee.
Opening overhead hatch and six opening ports.
Aft to port is a large storage locker
Full-size nav station and switch panel aft to port.
Quarterberth aft of nav station
Batteries and H/W heater stored under quarterberth
Two opening ports.
Large U-shaped galley is located aft to starboard, across from Nav Station.
Galley is secure for passagemaking and within easy reach of the companionway.
Two opening ports.
Engine access is excellent and located beneath companion way steps
To starboard of the companionway steps is a large, secure U-shaped galley
- double S/S sinks,
- three burner gimballed propane Hillerange stove with oven,
- Seafrost engine-driven and 110V refrigeration,
- hot and cold pressure water,
- 6 gallon H/W heater, 2008
- hand pump w/ y-valves for pumping sea water, fresh water, and draining icebox
- wine rack, dishes, and numerous lockers and bins.
- Counters are laminated butcher block.
Fuel: 70 gallons in aluminum tank.
Water: 100 gallons in three S/S tanks.
Holding: 2003 poly tank (may need repair or replacing).
Fuel and Water tanks were cleaned and inspected by Shannon Boat Co. in 2008.
Engine & Mechanical
- Perkins 4-108 diesel, 50 hp, 4 cyl., FWC, with 776 hours as reported on hour meter. Removed and rebuilt by Hinckley Yacht Yard in 2008.
- Hurth transmission.
- 1” S/S shaft.
- 3 bladed 14x19 RH Bronze prop.
- Perko sea strainer.
- Partially sound-insulated engine compartment.
- Racor fuel filter with vacuum gauges, 2008.
- New exhaust elbow 2019
- Verna lift muffler.
- Spur cutters on shaft.
- Excellent engine access.
- In 2000 engine was steam cleaned and new engine mounts were installed.
- 2011 Walker Air filter installed
- 2017 new starter.
- In 2009 new cylinder head installed.
- 12V/110V electrical systems.
- 4-12V gelcell batteries; 1-12V wet start battery.
- Marinetics AC-DC circuit breaker panels.
- Link 2000R Heart inverter with Xantrex regulator.
- 2009 100 amp Powermax high output alternator.
- 2008 6 gallon hot water heater (also off engine).
- Shore power cord.
- 40 amp True Charger.
Electronics & Navigation
- Loud-Hailer and fog horn.
- ICOM M506 VFH and M802 SSB radio (SSB antenna not connected).
- ICOM Commander Remote mic for cockpit.
- KVH 103 digital compass.
- Datamarine depthsounder, wind direction, and knotlog (wind speed is erratic).
- Sailor RDF (old, not used).
- Furuno network hub, Furuno UHD radar dome, Navnet Radar-GPS (MD8) at helm and below (MD12) on swivel.
- Raymarine ST70 below-decks autopilot, SPX 30 Smartpilot corepack, type 2 linear drive, new tiller arm 2011.
- Fusion stereo with Bose speakers.
- Ritchie binnacle compass.
Sails & Rigging
SooLoo features a staysail ketch rig. Spars are painted aluminum. Main mast is keel stepped. Standing rigging replaced in 2014.
- 751 sq. ft. sail area, ketch rigged.
- 1985 Thurston fully-battened mainsail.
- 1985 Thurston mizzen.
- 1985 Thurston 150% genoa (fair condition).
- Thurston hank-on staysail, self-tending.
- Thurston Yankee.
- Harken jib furler
- Two Barient #27 S.T. sheet winches.
- Barient #19 self-tailing main halyard winch and sheet winch; one Barient #21 sheet winch.
- Two Barient #18 halyard winches.
- Barient #10 halyard winch.
- Quick release lever on staysail
- new standing rigging 2014. Original rod rigging replaced with SS wire. Twin headstays converted to single stay
- Main mast has steps (spars need repainting).
- Mainsheet traveller, forward of companionway.
- Dacron running rigging.
- 44 lb Rocna anchor with 30´chain and approximately 200´nylon rode.
- 20 HT Danforth secondary anchor
- 2008 Lewmar dual action windlass
- Two Hawse pipes and dual chambers in chain locker.
- Bow sprit with twin rollers
- Varnished teak exterior trim in cockpit; natural teak toerails, handrails and bowsprit.
- 12 Bronze opening ports with screens.
- 4 cowl vents on teak dorade boxes
- 2 large opening deck hatches
- S/S stern davits
- Double S/S bow and stern pulpits.
- Double lifelines using S/S wire, with port and starboard gates.
- Tan Dodger, 2004, by Bear Paws.
- Tan sail covers, approximately 2004.
- Cockpit awning
- Helm cover
- Winch covers
- Edson wheel steering, with emergency tiller
- Teak cockpit table and drink holder mounted on pedestal guard
- White cockpit cushions
- Manual bilge pump (needs repair)
- Teak outboard bracket
- White lifering
- Teak screens for companionway
- 4 cockpit storage compartments in combing
- Propane locker under helm seat with twin 10lb. LPG tanks
- Hand laid-up one piece solid fiberglass hull
- Original white gelcoat, brown boot-top, blue bottom.
- Fiberglass with cored deck and cabin trunk.
- All bulkheads and lockers tabbed to the hull
- Shannon-designed raised diamond pattern non-skid beige and white deck.
- Full keel with encapsulated lead ballast of 6,500 lbs.
- Cutaway forefoot, attached fiberglass rudder, propeller protected in aperture.
- Edson cable to quadrant pedestal wheel steering with brake, guard and controls.
- Self-bailing cockpit.
NOTE: In 2007-2008, SOOLOO was returned to the Shannon Boat Company for a refit and restoration of all her systems. This work included removal and rebedding of all toerails, rubrails, new undersole plywood beneath the cabin soles, new batteries, inspection and testing of systems and tanks, and more. When completed, Shannon Boat Company signed a “Remanufactured to New” Certificate.
- Fairclough Canvas winter cover - recently serviced
- Brass Harwich tide clock & barameter
- Switlik MOM system (last serviced 2014)
- Manuals for most equipment
- Life Jackets
- 3 Fire extinguishers
- Man overboard pole
- Switlik MOM system on stern pulpit
- Fenders & docklines
- NOTE: Personal items not specifically listed are not included.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
cheap and easy