1984 Hallberg-Rassy 38
- View Full Specifications
Deck replacement end May.
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Ipswich, Suffolk, United Kingdom
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- £ 68,750 Tax Paid (US$ 87,292)
Yacht for sale UK. Hallberg Rassy 38 for sale. New deck finishes now laid and sealed June 2018 professionally. Encapsulated keel, 5' 9" draft. Skeg hung rudder.Benefits from replacement VW Marine 50 hp marine diesel. 3 blade Maxprop feathering propeller. Forward and aft main double berth cabins both with heads adjacent. The aft second head port side to rear in saloon aft cabin lobby..Copper anti-foul system as well as 2 no. ultrasonic anti-foul transducers.The craft is in very good order throughout with many updates as listed in the descriptions section.Silk finish mahogany joinery throughout. Contact us for update and viewing arrangement. Video within this listing schedule, see photographs section. 2017 Survey available when viewing. A very sensibly priced craft that has had alot of updates and recent spend. Ready to sail over the horizon...
FIXED PRICE BROKERAGE - UK and International Service: - NO SALE - NO FEE - NO Upfront Payments - NO Cancellation Fees - Call us on 01473 780286
Precious Marine Ltd
01473 780286 ext 1
Ashore nr Ipswich office.
Please contact Graham Knight at 01473 780286
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Beam: 11 ft 6 in
Maximum Draft: 5 ft 11 in
Total Power: 50 HP
Engine Brand: Volkswagen Marine
Year Built: 2005
Engine Model: SDI 50 4
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 500
Propeller: 3 blade propeller
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 50 HP
Number of single berths: 2
Number of double berths: 2
Number of cabins: 3
Number of heads: 2
- 8 Berths.
- Sleeps 8 very friendly adults, or sleeps a family of 4 in luxury.
- Top quality solid mahogany joinery throughout. Hand finished as silky smooth as the day it was launched.
- Heated by a thermostatically controlled Eberspacher 4DL 4.3Kw heater with 3 outlets. Eberspacher rebuilt in 2015. ducting replaced.
- Light beige carpet throughout over teak floors. New carpets 2017.
- Blue upholstery and blue curtains. All porthole glass replaced in 2016.
- 6ft headroom in all cabins.
- Restricted headroom (5ft4) in the passage between saloon and aft cabin.
- Forward Cabin
- Double V-berth with 6ft length and optional fill in and heavy canvas lee cloths.
- Ample day storage side lockers supplemented by cavernous long term storage under bunks.
- LED Cabin reading lights.
- Opening toughened glass hatch with a curtain.
- Opening side portholes with 10mm acrylic glass.
- 2 hanging lockers with additional storage shelf.
- Large mirror over a large porcelain sink with pressurized hot and cold water.
- Jabsco ITT large bowl toilet (new 2015)
- Ample storage behind the toilet, next to the sink and under the sink.
- Hanging storage pockets.
- Folding solid mahogany table with central drinks storage.
- Side settees converting to 1 large single berth and 1 large double berth both with heavy canvas lee cloths.
- opening hatch with toughened glass.
- 2 opening portholes with 10mm acrylic glass.
- 6 side cupboards
- Radio, CD, cassette player with iPod/Android charging point and iPod/Android audio port.
- 2 speakers.
- Ample stores storage under port side settee
- Tool storage under forward settee
- Long range diesel tank under starboard side settee.
- 4 LED brass reading lights.
- 1 central LED light.
- top opening fridge and icebox cooled by a Waeco CU84 compressor with air forced condenser. (replaced 2015)
- stainless steel Force 10 2 burner stove with oven and grill.
- opening porthole with 10mm acrylic glass.
- prism glass skylight
- 2 bowl stainless steel sink
- Food and kitchen storage cupboards on the starboard side.
- Latching mahogany drawers for kitchen utensils.
- Rack over sink.
- Shelf with deep fiddle over cupboards.
- 3 florescent lights
- Opening chart table with storage for full-size charts and manuals.
- iPad mounting arm used to hold an iPad (not included) operate Raymarine chart plotter from chart table.
- Rack for navigation instruments.
- Storage box for incidentals.
- Panasonic 16Nm radar unit over chart table.
- opening porthole with 10mm acrylic glass.
- Switch panel with 4 banks of thermal magnetic circuit breakers 4 dials and 2 digital Amp/Volt meters monitoring service and engine battery banks.
- Chart table light and night chart table light
- Jabsco ITT Toilet
- Small storage cupboards behind toilet
- prism glass skylight
- Technical area for Autopilot SpartPilot unit, AIS Class B transponder, Ultrasonic Antifouling drive units and various other electronics units.
- 1 double berth and 1 single berth with heavy canvas lee cloths.
- Small porcelain sink with pressurized hot and cold water via mixer tap.
- 2 LED reading lights.
- Locker under sink with shelves.
- Large mirror over double berth.
- Large hanging locker.
- Ample storage under double berth.
- Main service battery bank and main fuse bank under single berth.
- Opening hatch with toughened glass and curtain.
- 2 opening portholes with 10mm acrylic glass.
- Raymarine E7 multifunction chartplotter on deck, loaded with UK charts and fully integrated. (last updated 2016, running latest software).
- Em-Trak Class B AIS transponder (2016) on dedicated AIS aerial.
- Icom M412 Radio on dedicated Matra Metz mast-head aerial with R8X low loss wire up mast.
- Raymarine S1 autopilot with Type 1 linear drive direct (full service 2016) onto rudder and ST6001 head.
- ST60 multi.
- ST60 Depth
- ST60 Speed
- ST60 Wind
- Airmar P19 Depth Transducer
- Spare Airmar P317 Depth transducer
- Retractable Airmar Speed transducer
Hull, Deck, Safety & Canvas
The hull has been professionally Copper Coated which in combination with two Ultrasonic Antifouling units has eliminated the annual anti-fouling ritual as well as giving the hull its original smooth profile. At the last haul out, after 18 months afloat there were no barnacles on the hull which was covered in a light algae slim
The cockpit seating is laid to teak on plywood with a cavernous cockpit locker containing ropes and a mahogany cockpit table. Either side of the companion-way are african mahogany sideboards which get stripped and revarnished at the first sign of UV damage to maintain a mirror finish. These make excellent perches for lunch, small children and charts/pilots even in foul weather.
The cockpit is protected by the classic Hallberg Rassy fixed screen that allows the timid, sick or cold to steer the boat via autopilot under cover.
The cockpit floor is lined with teak lattice work draining into 2 large cockpit drains. Washboards are African mahogany, also re-varnished regularly to maintain a mirror finish.
The craft has the latest realistic Flexiteak replacement ring decks fitted, June 2018.
Primary winches are Lewmar self-tailing 46’s, secondaries are Lewmar ST 16s only used for tweakers and spinnaker sheets in light winds. At the mast there are a pair of Lewmar 40s and the obligatory small Lewmar reefing winch.
The main sheet is a 8:1 block system with a traveller. Reefing is efficient and safely done at the mast, usually hugging it by the time a third reef is required.
The inventory comes with a 45lb genuine CQR set on just under 60m of 10mm galvanised main anchor chain handled by a Sea Wolf windlass. There is a Danforth Kedge on 10m of 10m chain with perhaps 20-30m of rope. This has never been used.
There are 2 Lifebouys with lights and a Danbuoy in holder. Although the Danbouy is in working order, it is a bit tatty.
There are 2 covered wire lifelines running the length of the boat and some additional clip on points in the cockpit.
Rigging & Sails
The mast and boom are original, thick aluminium section by Selden supported by oversized standing rigging. Standing rigging is inspected frequently with a non-destructive electrical test done in 2016 revealing no abnormal swages. Bottom swages have aluminium covers reducing salt water exposure. Being single spreader there are no vulnerable swages further up.
The backstay is adjustable. The tensioner rebuilt with new seals and bearings in 2014. The furler is a Furlex unit, serviced (re-greased) in 2016. Running rigging has been replaced more frequently with a new main sheet and a port spinnaker halyard in 2016 and new sheets in 2015.
The inventory includes a full set of spinnaker sheets and guys as well as other hardware required to fly a kite.
The current suite of sails have a good shape. The genoa is about 120%, bi-radial, cruising laminate with rope/foam luff set on a Furlex furler. Built by Quantum Sails in about 2009. The main is a fully battened cross cut main on Selden cars with tapered battens. Sail cloth is believed to be 7oz, but might be 10.
It was built bullet proof by Doyle in 1997 and probably a little overweight so has maintained its shape well forward, helped by the tapered battens and never flogging. The main sets with minimal halyard tension. There are three reefs in the main on traditional slab reefing. Both sails are certainly not new, are still solid and work well. There is also a symmetric kite and a very useful asymmetric reacher that works up to 13kn@60 degrees. The asymmetric is in a snuffer/sock.
In the cockpit locker is a small 10oz cross cut storm sail set on piston hanks. This attaches to the inner forestay with running backstays rigged. It has never had to be used in real storm conditions, although is rigged from time to time.
In addition to the working sails the inventory contains a spare main, and a spare genoa although are serviceable, they were retired to make way for replacements.
Hallberg Rassy 38s were originally fitted with an early design Volvo Penta MD12B, which has a poor quality marinization that generally did not last.
The VW Marine SDI 50/4 is a modern diesel engine with excellent efficiency, proven reliability and outstanding marinization. The core engine is the same as found in Audi A3 cars.
VW Marine engines are supported by an extensive global support network and many of the parts for the core engine are stocked at VW/Audi dealerships who have access to the same parts database.
Just 499 engine run hours.
In 2005 the engine was replaced by (French Marine Motors, Suffolk Yacht Harbour) with a modern design (VW Marine 1.9D, 50Hp) and has since been regularly maintained having done less than 500 hours.
In 2008 the hull was professionally CopperCoated and paintwork updated (Foxes, Ipswich) at the same time and each year only needs a quick lift and scrub. In addition, summer growth is minimised by 2 ultrasonic antifouling units.
Over the years: Calorifier and pressurised water pipes were replaced with barrier pipes to eliminate bad water so common in boats with pvc piping. The main switchboard was rewired and all corroded wiring has been replaced. High current wiring checked frequently for voltage drop and replaced. Standing rigging and running rigging constantly inspected and replaced. Toilets upgraded and replaced. Most items that would be in a major refit, have either been replaced or completely rebuilt.
More recent replacements to equipment include.
Service batteries (2015) Engine battery (2015) , Battery chargers (2015) Fridge (2014), Chart plotter (Raymarine e7) and charts (Navionics +, XL UK+Holland) (2015). Various sheets and spinnaker halyards (2015), Class B AIS (2016). All porthole windows (2016). VHF antenna (2016).New deck finishes June 2018. Now looking tip top.
All VAT is paid. The boat is Part 1 UK Merchant shipping act registered. She is currently located on the East Coast of the UK.
- 1 no. 110 ah cranking battery.
- 3 no. 110ah domestic supply batteries.
- 2 no. battery chargers 30a and 10a
- Shore power
- Smart charging system.
Precious Marine Ltd offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer. Some websites that link to us may not drag the full information across please feel free to click the link and ask for the full inventory. www.preciousmarine.co.uk - +44 (0)1473 780286 - # Fixed Price Brokerage