1981 Sparkman & Stephens Finn Craft 38
- View Full Specifications
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Annapolis, MD
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- US$ 99,000
She has a proven blue water heritage with several trips from the Mediterranean to the Caribbean. She is on the hard in Annapolis and is ready for your inspection. Please call the listing broker for information or to setup a private showing today.
Available to view strictly by appointment.
Please Note: Due to the varying locations of our yachts, your travel time and the distances that may be involved, we recommend that you only make arrangements to view if you are actively considering purchase.
Contact Erik Haaland; CPYB (410)279-3027 Talk or Text
Italia Yachts USA Sales Director and North American Hylas Yachts New/Brokerage Sales
David Walters Yachts
Port Annapolis Marina
7080 Bembe Beach Rd Suite 111
Annapolis, MD 21403
(410) 279-3027 - Cell
Erik is a Certified Professional Yacht Broker and Florida Licensed/Bonded
Go to www.CPYB.net to learn more about how a CPYB Broker can better work for you!
Please contact Erik Haaland at 410-279-3027
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Flag of Registry: United States
Hull Shape: Monohull
LOA: 38 ft 0 in
Beam: 12 ft 0 in
LWL: 30 ft 0 in
Maximum Draft: 5 ft 5 in
Displacement: 19200 lbs
Ballast: 10500 lbs
Bridge Clearance: 53 ft 0 in
Total Power: 50 HP
Engine Brand: Perkins
Year Built: 1981
Engine Model: 4-108
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 50 HP
Fresh Water Tanks: (100 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: (80 Gallons)
Number of single berths: 7
Number of cabins: 2
Number of heads: 1
Seating Capacity: 7
- Starting forward, there is a V-berth, with each side being 6'5'' by 32'' at the shoulders beneath each berth.
- There is storage locker forward of the V as well as lots of storage beneath each berth.
- There is a center step-up with storage beneath it also.
- There are deep fiddled bins the length of each berth running along the hull sides.
- There is additional storage under the cabin sole
- Lighting and ventilation are provided by a large sliding overhead hatch and a pair of reading lights.
- The head is located aft of the forward stateroom on port.
- As you enter, the head is directly in front of you. There is shelf storage with sliding doors behind and above it along the hull.
- To the right of that is a counter space and the sink, with a sliding door locker beneath and a large mirror above the counter.
- Headroom is 6'; there are several lights and a dorade vent.
- Wilcox Crittenden 'Skipper' manual head
- Par plastic holding tank
- Shower wand on height adjustable bar
- Single lever shower mixer
- Teak shower grate
- PAR electric shower sump pump
- Folded fiberglass liner with integral sink
- Scandvik hot/cold water mixer
- Large mirror over sink
- Directly across from the head are two full-height lockers; the left one being a hanging locker and the right containing pull-out wire baskets for clothing and a fiddled shelf above them.
- Continuing aft into the saloon on starboard, there is a 6'5" long straight settee.
- There is drawer storage below it and sliding door accessed storage behind it. Above and behind that is a pilot berth with a built-in weatherboard.
- There is storage along the hull above the pilot berth.
- On port the U-shaped settee is 6'5" long. There is storage below and behind it and three tiers of fiddled shelves behind it running the length of the settee.
- The forward end has an icebox built in under the seat which could be turned into freezer space if you wanted.
- The mahogany dinette table has a drop-leaf on the corridor side and slides, both to move the drop leaf to the starboard settee as well as making more room to sit down on the dinette side.
- The table drops to convert this to a double berth.
- The saloon area has two fixed lights behind the settees, two overhead and two reading lights and a large overhead hatch.
- One step up from the saloon is the nav station and galley.
- The nav is on port and forward facing. The seat is upholstered and has a back rest and storage beneath it.
- The chart table is nicely sized and will hold a chart book; storage beneath the lid is good.
- There are four drawers beneath the table top.
- Outboard is the 12v panel, tank gauges and a shelf with a flip-up lid covering tube storage for charts.
- There is a fixed light in the hull side, an overhead deck prism, a map light and a regular overhead light.
- The galley is U-shaped and at the base of the companionway on starboard. Facing forward is a large icebox, with a drawer beneath it.
- Facing the hull is the stove, which is gimbaled and has another drawer beneath it.
- To the right of the stove is a dry bin storage space, followed by the sinks and sink drain surface.
- There is double-door storage beneath the sink. There are two lockers above the sink; both have wire racks in them, with the left side being a dish rack.
- Both allow dishes to dry and drain below into the sinks.
- Along the hull there are lockers the width of the galley space with sliding doors.
- There is a fixed light in the hull, a prism above and assorted lighting for this space, as well as a 12v fan for ventilation.
- Techimpex gimballed two burner LPG stove with oven and pot clamps
- Marinetics LPG control
- Double stainless steel sinks with integral drain board
- Scandvik hot/cold pressure water mixer
- Salt water foot pump
- Fresh water foot pump
- Cupboards above sinks with unique dish racks that drain into the sink
- Aft on port is a door leading to the aft cabin. As one enters, there is a wet locker on port, behind which is an ample sail locker, with a port opening to the cockpit.
- On the starboard side of the aft cabin there are two single berths, one high and one low.
- There is a fiddled bin alongside the hull above the upper berth and a nightstand along the center line with storage beneath it.
- There is a reading light for each berth and another opening port on this side of the cabin.
- Koto wood interior with mahogany accents
- Koto staving lining all exposed hull sides
- Ultra suede 'Topiary' fabric with roping and button trim
- Varnished teak cabin sole
Aiolos is a classic Sparkman & Stephens design featuring a common S&S hull bottom with an external lead ballasted modified fin keel and full skeg hung rudder. This design is both quick and safe. The rudder plane is far above the keel plane so there is little chance of grounding the rudder. The running gear is nicely protected by the keel and skeg hung rudder is a standard straight shaft fitting with a three blade Autoprop. The hull is solid GRP with longitudinal and transverse stringers for support. The deck is cored.
This hull design is renowned for it's blue water handling characteristics in waves and confused seas.
The topsides are Awl-Grip jet black with red boot stripe, plus a white cove stripe. This is a stunning look and matches well with the painted black mast and boom. There is also a stainless steel rub rail for docking protection. An aluminum toe rail finishes off the topsides with multiple areas to mount gear or fenders.
- Topsides Awlgrip Black - 2014
- Custom teak and stainless steel rubstrake with an end and mid trim caps - 2014
Of all the worlds yacht builders the Scandinavians and SE Asian yacht builders are most well known for their finish work and teak applications.
Being of Finnish build Aiolos is no exception to this rule. Her decks were recently replaced with GLUED and VACUUM BAGGED (no screws) teak decks. A unique feature of the deck design is that the decks do not have sharp angles due to a separate cabin house and side decks. All is blended into one, creating a sleek and sexy appearance that is easy to move around and uncluttered.
Starting forward there is an anchor roller with CQR anchor and two oversized mooring cleats. On the foredeck is an oversized deck hatch that can be slid back or open upwards for ventilation. Two dorade boxes with stainless vents on either side before the mast. There are also four deck prisms for overhead light in the main saloon and topside mounted port lights.
The standing rigging is oversized and well suited for offshore work. The mast is a single, straight spreader arrangement with easy access to halyard winches. There are two reefing lines with separate winches for each mounted on the boom. There are two spinnaker halyards, a whisker pole, five mast mounted winches and an adjustable boom vang. Be aware that all halyards are controlled from the mast so the cockpit is left clean except for the mainsheet, traveler and genoa sheets. The genoa is fitted to a ProFurl unit which has it's furling line run to the cockpit, and sheets run through adjustable genoa tracks that can be used for 100-150% sails. All sailing gear/winches are by Lewmar.
At one point Aiolos was fitted with a self steering windvane, however when she was repainted this was removed along with the mounting hardware. The helm hardware and turning blocks are still installed.
Just forward of the dodger is another opening hatch and two varnished teak grabrails.
In the cockpit there is a large, protective dodger allowing for great visibility forward. There is also a bimini with connector piece. The traveler is mounted just forward of the helm and there is plenty of space to accommodate four comfortably. Full engine controls at accessible from the helm and it is easy to reach the mainsheet as well.
Under the helm seat is a large storage locker that takes up the stern of the yacht. This area is well laid out and functional. Fitted inside is a two bottle propane locker and access to the steering gear. The battery charger is also mounted here and the emergency bilge pump as well.
Finishing off the cockpit there is a custom fitted four-beverage cup holder and the port side seat forms an emergency escape hatch or large item transfer to the aft storage area of the interior.
- Stainless steel anchor roller
- 45# CQR anchor
- 40’ of 3/8” HT chain, Schaffer anchor shackles and 450’ of New England 3⁄4” three strand rode
- Fortress FX-85 storm anchor ('10; never used)
- Stainless steel bow pulpit and stern push-pit
- 16” bow cleats (’00)
- 12” stern cleats (’00)
- Drogue attachment plates on stern
- Slotted aluminum toe rail
- Double vinyl life lines
- Lifelines padded around cockpit
- Custom vacuum bagged 1/2" thick teak deck and cockpit ('00)
- Bomar hatch ('00)
- Sliding varnished teak forward hatch with Sunbrella cover ('00)
- Oversized cockpit drains installed ('00)
- Varnished teak grab rails with Sunbrella covers (2)
- Four deck prisms and custom stainless steel trim plates ('00)
- Fiberglass dorade boxes with stainless steel cowls ('16)
- Dodger with aft and side grab bars
- Dodger cover
- Bimini with sight window
- Bimini cover
- Bimini rear and side weather drop downs
- All canvas was built by Yacht Canvas in Annapolis using Sunbrella Black fabric (except connector panel)
- Pro Mariner 50 Amp 3-Bank Charger
- Custom electrical refit with all new wiring, switch board, isolation transformer.
Electronics & Navigation
Albeit vintage, the electronics aboard Aiolos are fully functional.
- B&G Network 4x Displays (Depth, Speed, Wind, Tack)
- SIRS Navigation Binnacle Compass
- Lo-Kata watchman Radar Detector
- Seasearcher Twin Fathometer
- Cetrek 721 Autopilot
- Garmin GPS48 Handheld GPS
- Weems & Plath Barometer
- G.Wright Clinometer
- Icom IC-M422 VHF with DSC and cockpit remote Icom Commander II RAM Mic
- Data connections for PC navigation.
- Dell Pentium II laptop w/GPS tracking and Nobeltec charts
Sails and Rigging
- Selden keel stepped single spreader aluminum mast and boom painted black
- Adjustable height spinnaker pole car and track on mast
- Profurl roller furler
- Dyform 3/8" Stainless steel 1x19 wire standing rigging with Norseman fittings ('00)
- Harken mechanical boom vang
- Lewmar #8 reefing winches on boom (2)
- Extra Barient #8 halyard winch on mast
- Lewmar #25 two-speed chrome spinnaker halyard winch on mast
- Lewmar #40 two-speed chrome self-tailing halyard winches on mast (2)
- Anderson #12 single speed chrome self-tailing furler winch
- Lewmar #48 three-speed chrome primary winches (2)
- Lewmar #44 two-speed chrome self-tailing secondary winches (2)
- Custom Genoa tracks mounted inboard for a higher sheeting angle
- Schaefer chrome double turning blocks on varnished teak pads
- Lewmar Ocean series mainsheet track and car
- Lewmar Ocean Series Size 3 mainsheet traveler system with 6:1 ratio
- Running rigging routinely replaced as needed
- Spinnaker pole with reaching strut
- Quantum 8.3 oz. Offshore Cruising main w/3 reefs (new in 2016- never installed; 387 sq. ft.)
- Inshore main (~ 323 sq. ft.)
- Little main (~ 77 sq. ft.)
- 130% Genoa (~ 510 sq. ft.)
- High aspect jib
- Scott #3 Jib (~ 340 sq. ft.)
- #5 Storm jib (~ 71 sq. ft.)
Air draft: approx. 53'
Engine and Machinery
- Perkins 4-108 low-line engine S/N 108US9188
- Fuel consumption is 1 to 1.2 GPH
- Oversized fresh water pump ('12)
- Fram fuel/water separator
- Remote oil filter for cleaner oil changes
- Borg Warner Marine Velvet Drive transmission with 2:10:1 ratio
- Shaft Lok propeller lock
- 30mm stainless steel drive shaft
- 17” three blade Autoprop feathering propeller
- Full set of new Autoprop parts for changing bearings
- Shaft Shark line cutter
- Automatic engine room fire extinguisher system
- VDO fuel tank gauges at nav
- Wargia steering pedestal ('00)
- Leather-wrapped stainless steel destroyer wheel
- Single lever engine control
- Sirs Navigation Celestron “Major” compass with nightlight, dimmer and Sunbrella cover
- Aries wind steering vane (not currently installed) with all attachments, 4 hardwood vanes, complete rebuild kit and instruction manual. Ariesvane.com still sells them as well as rebuild kits.
- Para-Tech 18" parachute type sea anchor with instruction video, all fittings and bridle (used once)
- West Marine horseshoe buoys (2)'
- Jack lines
- Apex 7'6" 4-person hard floor dinghy
- Johnson 4HP outboard motor
- Outboard motor pad
- Winter cover ('01)
- Winch covers
- Full sun shade for entire boat ('10)
- Courtesy flag halyard
- Flag staff holder and flag
- Teak cup holder
- Boat hooks
- Dock lines
- Fenders with fender covers ('15)
- Weems & Plath waterproof Nautilus barometer with clinometer (lifetime warranty)
- Brass thermometer
- Loads of spares
- Extensive literature and information binders
- Complete set of line drawings from Sparkman & Stephens
- Assorted paper charts and chart books
- Installation and operation manuals
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.