1980 Hinckley Bermuda 40 MKIII Sloop
cheap and easy
- View Full Specifications
A True American Classic
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Charleston, SC
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- US$ 279,000
- Sale Pending
The Bill Tripp, Jr. designed Hinckley Bermuda 40 is a true American classic. Her lovely lines, mirror-like varnish, substantial polished stainless steel fittings and timeless design have tickled the fancy of boaters since the launch of hull #1 in 1960. There were 200 plus B-40s built between 1960 and 1991 and Redemption is likely the nicest example on the market today.
She was originally built to the exacting standards of a Swiss national jeweler who demanded the finest B-40 ever built. He enlisted the help of his friend, an architect from Geneva, Switzerland and flew him to Maine on a monthly basis to "oversee" the build. Upon completion she was packed into a container and shipped to Switzerland where she spent twenty years in the fresh waters of Lake Geneva. She was then shipped back to Maine in 2001 and purchased by her second owner who enjoyed light seasonal cruising in New England. Her current owners purchased Redemption in 2017 and invested more than $200,000 in maintenance and upgrades, including a new engine, electronics, renovated galley, renovated head, exterior varnish and much more. Redemption is a stunning vessel that will endure for many more generations.
If you are seeking a proper yacht in excellent condition, please consider Redemption.
Draft: 4' 9" center board up and 9' 3" with the center board down
MATT J. MALATICH
S&J YACHTS - CHARLESTON
843-872-8080 | www.sjyachts.com | email@example.com
Charleston City Marina
13 Lockwood Drive
Charleston, SC 29412
Broker of fine yachts and dealer for:
Discovery Yachts, Southerly Yachts, Bluewater Yachts, Britannia Yachts, Island Packet, Seaward, Blue Jacket and Delphia
Charleston, SC | Annapolis, MD | Rock Hall, MD | Deltaville, VA | Palmetto, FL
Please contact Matt Malatich at (843) 872-8080
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Designer: Bill Tripp Jr.
LOA: 40 ft 9 in
Beam: 11 ft 9 in
LWL: 28 ft 10 in
Maximum Draft: 4 ft 9 in
Displacement: 20000 lbs
Ballast: 6500 lbs
Bridge Clearance: 53 ft 6 in
Headroom: 6 ft 4 in
Total Power: 45 HP
Engine Brand: Yanmar
Year Built: 2017
Engine Model: 4JH45
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 70
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 45 HP
Cruising Speed: 6 knots
Maximum Speed: 7 knots
Fresh Water Tanks: Fiberglass (110 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: (66 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: 1 Aluminum
Number of single berths: 1
Number of double berths: 2
Number of cabins: 1
Number of heads: 1
Redemption's interior features a full-width salon, dedicated navigation station, galley, head and forward cabin. The interior joinery is gloss varnished Honduras mahogany and the cabin sole is mahogany and holly. The main and forward hatches are Hinckley built of teak and translucent plexiglass and are double hinged to allow them to open forward or aft. There are LED lights and new Hallo fans throughout the interior.
The SALON comfortably accommodates six people around a drop-leaf dining table with two pull-out drawers. There is a u-shaped seating area to port and a transom berth on the starboard side with a pilot berth above. There are pull-out drawers below the seats, storage behind the seat backs and shelves mounted outboard. There is a book/bottle shelf and hanging locker forward of the starboard settee.
The GALLEY was completely redone in 2018. It features a L-shaped counter, undermount stainless steel sink, pressurized water faucet, new manual fresh water pump, Grunert heavy-duty refrigerator/freezer, new three-burner stove and a new convection oven/microwave. There are two pull-out drawer below the microwave and storage cabinets with sliding louvered doors above the counter and a shelf.
The dedicated NAV STATION is on the starboard side. There is a comfortable upholstered seat with a pull-out drawer below, a large nav desk with storage and two open shelves. The electric panel and electronics are mounted in the nav area.
The ENGINE COMPARTMENT is accessible via a door under the galley sink and removable companionway steps.
The HEAD was also redone in 2018. There is a new counter with an undermount stainless steel sink, pressurized hot/cold water faucet, shower head, mirror, storage cabinets and a manual head.
The private FORWARD CABIN has a V-berth with pull out drawers under both sides. There is a hanging locker to starboard opposite a dresser with five drawers and an open cubby. Shelves are mounted on either side of the berth.
A bulkhead with a door separates the forward cabin from the FOREPEAK.
- Hull: Solid hand-laid fiberglass with additional laminate in high stress areas. Flag Blue Awlgrip topsides, with double white boot stripes and gold leaf cove.
- Keel/Centerboard: 6,500 lb. molded lead ballast keel (external to the hull to provide grounding protection), is cast of lead and secured to the hull with 1" stainless steel bolts. The foil-shaped centerboard is a solid bronze casting and is controlled by a manually operated worm gear, with override in case of accidental grounding. 4' 9" draft with board up and 9' 3" draft with board down.
- Deck: Balsa cored deck is set in a 6" flange which is molded into the hull, fiber glassed and thru-bolted to form a permanent hull/deck joint. Oiled teak decks with white gelcoat non-skid in the cockpit and on the cabin.
- Bottom painted (2018)
- Seacocks serviced (2018)
- Centerboard serviced (2018)
- Varnished exterior teak (2018)
- New plastic coated double lifelines (2018)
- Awlgripped cockpit bulkhead (2018)
The spacious cockpit has a bridge deck, two large seat lockers and a teak coaming with scuttles for small gear stowage. The traveler is located on the coach roof bridge to keep the main sheet clear of the cockpit. There is a custom teak cockpit grate.
A 28” stainless steel wheel is mounted on a steering pedestal with guardrail. The pedestal contains a compass mounted in a stainless-steel binnacle, a wheel brake, throttle, clutch controls and the 12” Garmin chart plotter (2018).
- Cockpit cushions – white with blue piping
- Dodger and bimini – white
- Varnished teak cockpit table and cup holders
- Teak seat back extenders (2)
- Recessed switch panel
- Electric primary winch controls
- Electric in-mast furling control
- Engine instrument panel (2018)
- Speakers (2) mounted on the stern rails (2018)
Sails and Rigging
- Painted aluminum tapered mast and boom with in-mast furling (Hood Stoway 2 w/electric drive)
- The spars and standing rigging were inspected in 2018 when the mast us un-stepped in preparation for transport to Charleston, SC.
- All standing rigging is 1 x 19 stainless steel wire with swaged terminals
- Furling head sail
- Spinnaker halyard and spinnaker pole
- All sails were serviced and inspected by North Sails in Charleston, SC in February of 2019.
- (2) Hood Stoway main sails - 8.8 oz with Duroseam (1 used one season only)
- (2) Hood 150% genoas - 7.0 oz Seafurl w/Duroseam+white sunshield (1 newish condition)
- Hood Working jib - 8.2 oz for Sea Furl
- Hood MPS/ spinnaker - 1.5 oz
- Hood light tri-radial spinnaker - .75 oz.
- Hood reacher - 3.5 oz. sail
- Garmin GPSMap 7608 at Nav station (2018) - chart plotter with 8-inch multi-touch widescreen display has a 10 Hz internal GPS that updates position and heading 10 times per second. It is fully network capable, including the Garmin Network and NMEA 2000, and offers the conveniences of built-in Wi-Fi® connectivity. Preloaded with BlueChart g2 Maps and LakeVu HD Maps
- Garmin VHF 300 Series with GHS 20 wireless remote (2018)
- Garmin GMI 20 Marine Instrument at Nav station (2018) - show depth, speed, wind and 100+ marine and vessel parameters, its large, bright 4” color display with extra large digits is easy to read at a distance and 170 degree viewing angle.
- Garmin GHC 20 Marine Autopilot Control at Nav station (2018)
- Garmin GPSMap 7612 at Helm (2018) - chart plotter with 12-inch multi-touch widescreen display has a 10 Hz internal GPS that updates position and heading 10 times per second. It is fully network capable, including the Garmin Network and NMEA 2000, and offers the conveniences of built-in Wi-Fi® connectivity. Preloaded with BlueChart g2 Maps and LakeVu HD Maps
- Garmin radar (2018)
- AIS 600 Black Box Transceiver (2018) - AIS 600 integrates with a Garmin chartplotter and VHF radio via NMEA 2000®, giving you the ability to initiate a call to any MMSI target directly from the chartplotter by selecting the “call with radio” function.
- Fusion MS-UD755 Marine Digital Media Stereo (2018) - NMEA 2000-capable with an internal UNI-Dock that protects and charges your Apple or Android smartphone. One speaker in the forward cabin, one speaker in the galley/salon and two speakers in the cockpit.
- WiFi Booster
Mechanical and Plumbing
Redemption underwent a major mechanical refit in 2018.
- 2017 Yanmar 4JH45 (45 HP) with 70 hours
- Replaced engine related hoses, engine wiring, sea strainer basket, shaft seal, and the shift and throttle cables
- Max Prop (2018)
- Duel Racor fuel filters (2018)
- Fiberglass water tanks
- New heads system (2018)
- Aluminum holding tank (2018)
- Tankwatch system (2018)
- Deck wash down pump (2018)
- Whale Gusher manual bilge pump and hose (2018)
- Electric bilge pump (2018)
- Two LPG containers hosed in a varnished teak covered lazarette
- Espar forced air heating system. New duck piping (2018)
- Replaced the LG hose and inspected the detection system (2018)
- Serviced seacocks (2018)
- Water heater
- Pressured hot and cold water at the galley sink and in the head.
- Whale manual fresh water pump at the galley sink
- Refrigerator and freezer (serviced in 2018)
The primary electrical switch panel is located aft of the navigation station. The engine, rigging and electrical system are bonded to the keel.
- Two 12 Volt Lifeline GPC-4DL AGM Sealed Batteries (420 Ah total) (2018)
- Dedicated engine starter battery (2018)
- DC system upgrades (2018)
- 30 Amp shore power cable
- Mastervolt Mass Combi Inverter and charger (2018)
- Balmar Alternator (2018)
- 110 Volt outlets and 12 Volt outlets
Lighting upgrades in 2018: LED bulbs installed in interior lighting, LED spreader lights, LED mast lights.
- West Marine RIB-310 Aluminum Hull Inflatable 10' 2" (2018)
- 9.9 HP 4-stroke Mercury outboard (2018)
- Bombard 6-person Class II life raft in deck mounted container (not inspected)
- Outboard motor bracket mounted on stern pulpit
- Ideal MCW electric windlass with chain stopper
- CQR 45 with 250' of chain (2018)
- Saltwater deck wash system forward
- Freshwater deck wash system aft
- Two horseshoe rings mounted on the stern pulpit
- Two pair of teak rigging rollers
- Taylor 4-step hinged varnished boarding ladder with mounting brackets on starboard side
- Dock lines
- Fenders with terry covers
- Winch handles
- Misc spare parts
- Rigging inspected
- Re-step mast and rig
- Sails inspected and serviced
- Re-bed portlight
- Service autopilot
- Steering system service
- Painted the bottom
- Windlass service
- Refrigeration service
- Winch service
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.