1979 Valiant V40-Cutter
- View Full Specifications
Incredible-Best V40 Available
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Located In:
- Redondo Beach, CA
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- US$ 89,000
Every once in a while, we offer one of the older Valiant 40s from the blister years. The good news is these blister year Valiant are often an incredible value. This is one of those special offerings! And she is quite a boat!
This is a great opportunity to own a Valiant 40 at an affordable price. This listing broker knows Valiant! He personally owned the Valiant 40 #282 for 10 years, and then together we had a new Valiant 42 built for ourselves in 2009. We are proud to have been the Valiant Dealer of the Mid Atlantic and SE USA also. But mostly importantly we’ve owned two Valiant and we’ve sold 66 of them. We’ve sold more than half of ALL Valiant sold worldwide. We’ve sailed them offshore and delivered them countless of ocean miles. Needless to say we know a nice Valiant when we see one! We are so pleased to represent the owner of this 1979 Valiant 40 named Sabbatical.
This Valiant 40 is well loved and maintained. She is part of a lovely family that was readied for the big retirement cruise to Mexico in 2009-10. She is berthed in Southern California. You can buy her and be ready for your cruise to Mexico…. or to the South Pacific.
Here are a few of the highlights of getting Sabbatical ready for the Sabbatical!
All new rigging in 2008 – mast pulled and painted all new standing rigging, complete with new blocks, line stoppers, and new traveler!
Totally re-rigged for single hand sailing with all controls in the cockpit and everything honed to perfection from the Tides Marine mainsail mast track, to the jiffy reefing system, and lazy jacks system and the fabulous Electric multi-purpose winch!
All new Quantum sails in 2008 with all control lines led to the cockpit! Complete storm sails and trys’l track. Plus Asymmetrical spinnaker and ATN sock.
All the safety gear we hope you’ll never need from the two manual bilge pumps, emergency tiller, Life sling, PFDs, Life raft which is now well out of certification!
Great ground tackle from the 66lb Bruce anchor with 300’ chain to the monster electric windlass rebuilt in 2012 plus more!
Structural and cosmetic upgrades from the topsides faired and painted, to the bottom barrier coat renewal, to the rebuilt rudder, and to all the new thru hulls, to the new deck paint and stainless steel lifelines.
Mechanicals maintained properly from the Westerbeke 40 hp with fewer than 4K hours and a top end rebuild in 2010, Max prop service in 2018 along with a new Cutlass Bearing, and complete heat exchanger clean out and service in 2019. She runs like a top!
All the interior comforts with new cushions and mattresses with extra Cherry cabinetry and a special dining table that stows on the bulkhead out of the way. And she was a really special Valiant 40 from the factory with beautiful teak interior extra cabinetry and many useful features.
Communications upgrades including ICOM 802 SSB, with turner, Pactor II USB modem and firmware for Pactor III, ICOM 504 VHF, and ICOM MXA 5000 AIS receiver, Standard Horizon CP 180 plotter at the helm, Furuno GPS. Plus the trusty Alpha autopilot and rigging for a Monitor wind vane steering system.
Sabbatical is a great Valiant 40 that is ready for a new owner to take over. While she is an older boat, we certainly love the Valiant 40 because they are virtually indestructible.
What can we say about Valiant 40 that has not already been said? We like to call the Valiant the all-ocean SUV. It’s the rich man's floating pickup truck. You can just get on to this boat and go anywhere right now. Sabbatical is just what we love to see, an affordable ocean going sailboat that does not cost a fortune. She’s a good deal.
If you are staring at this listing and dreaming and scheming as to how to get it together to buy her, you really need to make the call NOW!
Someone else will call us now, and….. you guessed it…… "you missed the opportunity once again".
Just call now! We are here to help!
David Walters Yachts, RogueWave Division located in Annapolis MD is your choice for bluewater boats! Buying or Selling... Reach Bernie Jakits at 443-742-1792 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Reach Bernie Jakits and the RogueWave Division at 443-742-1792 or email@example.com
RogueWave Yacht Sales has merged with David Walters Yachts! The RogueWave Division of David Walters Yachts is Your Choice for Blue Water Boats. Now in California and Annapolis MD! We take great pride in helping our clients get into the right boat! Call us to discuss your sailing vision! We are always interested in marketing your high quality blue water capable boat!
Email Bernie@davidwaltersyachts.com or call anytime, 443-742-1792.
RogueWave Yacht Sales is Your Choice for Blue Water Boats. We are a unique brokerage and consulting firm specializing in ocean capable vessels of quality and substance. We take great pride in helping you get into the right boat! Call us to discuss your sailing vision! Call Kate and Bernie at 410 571 2955 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact Bernie Jakits at 1-443-742-1792
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
LOA: 39 ft 11 in
Beam: 12 ft 4 in
LWL: 34 ft 0 in
Maximum Draft: 6 ft 0 in
Displacement: 22500 lbs
Ballast: 7700 lbs
Bridge Clearance: 55 ft 0 in
Headroom: 6 ft 6 in
Fresh Water Tanks: (150 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: (90 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: (15 Gallons)
Number of heads: 1
The Valiant 40 is a blue water boat designed with two staterooms, one head, huge galley, comfortable salon, and loads of storage and wonderful access to all systems. Sabbatical is a lovely Valiant 40 with a well cared for teak interior, lots of extra cabinetry outboard of the traditional straight settees. She sleeps six in three cabins counting the main salon. Starting in the forward V stateroom, with two berths port and starboard which becomes a spacious double with the filler cushion. There are cabinets outboard above the berths. Just aft to starboard are two very large lockers with shelves that hold an immense amount of clothing. The large enclosed head is adjacent to port. It has a beautiful bi-fold door! The head has a new Lavac marine toilet, a shower that can be extended out the port light to shower on deck, a vanity with stainless steel sink and hot & cold pressure water, and rather massive storage outboard. The main salon is traditional with port and starboard settees that are really wide and comfortable berths. There is lovely cabinetry outboard the settees and storage behind. The teak dining table stows on the bulkhead to create more space to move about the cabin. It easily lowers to provide a table for two on the port side, or extends across to the starboard settee to dine four in true spacious comfort. There are bookshelves and cabinetry outboard of both settees. Next aft to starboard is a large sit down forward facing nav station and chart table with storage outboard and below. This is the ships office, communication center, and a really nice spot for updating your blog! Opposite on the port side is the famous Valiant Bob Perry galley with ample space with a three burner propane stove and oven. There is great storage in this galley with large drawers, deep dry storage, and lots of room in the fridge and freezer. This is the only Valiant 40 we’ve seen with the coveted pantry behind the nav seat to starboard. Just aft of the bulkhead is the master stateroom to port with large double berth, dressing seat and storage compartments as well as great engine access. The new mattress will complete the ultimate comfort at sea. It is a great cabin that offers a wonderful sea berth also. Aft of the nav station on starboard are at the companionway is the pantry locker with slide out drawers and two additional large hanging lockers. The companionway stairs remove for great access to the walk-in engine room. The interior is solid teak which is no longer available. Standard "Proven" Valiant 40 layout that is so well balanced and practical.
- Two staterooms with real mattress (new 2007) in both the aft cabin and forward guest v-berth
- Aft cabin has bi-fold door
- Salon with straight settees
- New salon cushions 2015
- Large head with faucet shower and great storage and bi-fold door
- Nice galley with refrigerator and freezer and propane stove and oven
- Wonderful ventilation with opening ports and hatches
- Teak interior, with teak and holly sole in beautiful condition
- All LED cabin lights as of 2015
- Smoke detectors and Carbon Monoxide detectors
The famous Valiant U-shaped galley to port has a double stainless steel sink and mixing faucet, large Formica countertops with drawer/locker storage under counter, and cabinets above. There is a gimbaled 3-burner propane stove/oven. The counter opposite the sink houses a large insulated ice box with 12 volt refrigeration and separate freezer with cold plate 12v and engine driven refrigeration. It is a famous galley!
- Technautics cold plate 12v refrigeration (DC) refrigeration,
- Engine driven refrigeration compressor for Technautics holding plate system
- Hot and cold pressure water
- Mixing faucet
- Stainless steel sinks, one deep, one shallower
- Hot water heater 6 gallon
- Saltwater foot pump that can be converted to fresh
- Propane system with one 20 lb tank and room for two!
- Three-burner propane stove with oven
- Safety bar and belt
- Formica counter tops
- Propane locker with solenoid and pressure gauge, vented and proper
- Dish storage
- Spice rack is really nice
- Cool knife rack
- Fabulous pantry
- Ample storage for pots and pans, dishes, cutlery and food!
- 150 Gallons water in two tanks under settees
- One head
- Lavac marine toilet 2008
- Y Valve for legal overboard discharge areas
- Holding tank 15 gallon bladder tank.
- Deck pump out
- Overboard holding tank discharge at sea
- Sink and Vanity in head
- Shower faucet and curtain
- Owners did not shower in the head, but instead extended the faucet out the port light to shower on deck
- Sun shower
The beautiful original Valiant breaker panel for both DC and AC systems is located outboard at the nav seat in ships office.
12 VOLT DC:
- 425 amp hours in battery bank
- Four batteries – six volt golf cart batteries
- Batteries located on the starboard side of the engine room in a proper, secured box
- Separate start battery – set up to charge with house bank with Blue Seas automatic charging relay
- Sterling Pro Charge 40amp battery charger 2014
- Alternator 90 AMP with Smart regulator
- DC Breaker Panel
- Link 2000R battery monitoring system
- Nav lights mostly all LED
- Tricolor Light
- Stern light
- Steaming light
- Anchor light
- 12 v refrigeration
- Two electric bilge pumps
- Cabin lights - LED
- Two 12v outlets at the nav station
- Three spare breakers
- Windlass 12v
110 VOLT AC SHOREPOWER:
- 120 Volt 30 Amp connection
- 30 amp shore power cord
- Extra 30 amp shore power cord
- 110 breaker panel
- Sterling Pro 40 AMP charger
- Three 110v outlets with GFCI protection
- One spare breaker on the AC panel
The Valiant engine room pretty amazing because you literally can walk in! The Valiant 40 is simply the best engine access you can hope for. It is a breeze to work on with easy access to all systems.
- Westerbeke 40 hp engine (fresh water cooled) low hours (3800)
- Top end rebuilt after 2008
- New injector pump 2007
- Heat exchangers and raw water pump cleaned - Rydlyme 2019
- Speed seal for raw water impeller makes it easy to change
- Murphy visual gauge for oil level and hi/lo alarms
- Racor 900 with new filter
- 90 gallons fuel in one tank with inspection ports
- Three blade Max-Prop refurbished 2018
- New cutlass bearing 2018
- Traditional shaft seal
- portable engine room fan
- Yacht Specialty steering system with emergency tiller
- Very nice custom access line to drain the oil sump
- Organized storage in the engine compartment for tools and supplies
- Assorted engine spares: two injectors, lift pump, thermostat, gaskets
Navigation & Communications
- Forward facing sit down nav station. New communications equipment.
- Standard Horizon CP 180 GPS Chart Plotter at the helm
- Furuno GPS GP-32 receiver
- AIS – ICOM MXA-5000 AIS Receiver
- ICOM 504 VHF
- ICOM 802 SSB with auto tuner insulated backstay and copper grounding system
- Pactor II Modem with Pactor III firmware loaded
- Ritchie Compass
- Data Marine depth sounder
- Signet wind speed, direction, knot meter
- Old Furuno 1720 Radar is in operative currently
- Alpha autopilot with powerful drive
RIG and Sail Inventory
She has had her chain plates replaced and she has all new standing rigging as of 2008 with new winches and lines led aft for singlehand sailing with the wonderful electric winch. She is a very nice boat and a great opportunity for you to own one of the world's best cruising boats. The Valiant is a proven offshore vessel with a true cutter rig with keel stepped mast. The mast and boom were pulled and painted in 2008 and all the standing rigging was replaced in 2008. The cutter rig provides a divided sail plan so that the sails are smaller and easily manages. The mainsail has mid boom sheeting to the traveler just forward of the dodger. True cutter design
- All standing rigging was replaced in 2008!
- New mid boom traveler
- New blocks and line stoppers (Spinlocks!)
- Running rigging all replaced in 2008
- Keel stepped single spreader mast pulled and painted 2008
- Awlgrip white mast and boom
- Profurl roller furling on the genoa
- Hank on staysail
- Mainsail has mid boom sheeting to new Harken traveler forward of the dodger
- Strong track for mainsail 2008
- Downwind pole mast mounted with track
- Lazy jacks system
- Topping lift
- Control lines led to cockpit with line stoppers
- Multipurpose electric winch
- Quantum Sails – new in 2008 and in good condition
- New fully battened mainsail with batt cars and two reef points 2008
- Tides Marine strong track for easy lifting
- Quantum furling genoa in good condition on Profurl furler
- Staysail in good condition hank on
- Storm trysail with separate track
- Asym spinnaker with sock (used once)
- Multipurpose electric winch on the cabin house!
- Big Lewmar Primary Sheet Winches #48 self tailing
- Lewmar #30 staysail winches on cabin house
- Mainsail – multipurpose Electric winch on cabin top self tailing
- Additional winch Lewmar #42S
Hull, Deck, & Ground Tackle
Everything on a Valiant is seriously overbuilt and Sabbatical has been upgraded and restored several times in her lifetime. Sabbatical’s robust hull was laid up by Uniflight in 1979. The bottom was renewed with a new barrier coat in 2008. The cabin house, deck and topsides were painted and currently the deck and cockpit is being prepped and repainted. In recent years a few osmotic blisters have appeared and have been removed and repaired on the topsides between the water line and the toe rail and a few tiny dimples on the cabin house. Each time the boat is hauled she is carefully inspected. The hull remains more substantial the most modern boats floating! There are plenty of Valiant 40s built in the 70s that have gone three times around the world giving their owners the opportunity of a lifetime to sail one of the world's best sailing boats!
- Hand laid solid glass hull laid up by Uniflight in 1979
- New barrier coat in 2008
- Cored deck reinforced with solid glass in areas for bedding deck hardware.
- Hull deck joint is attached with 5200 and thru bolted every 8 inches
- Keel is external mounted lead ballast bedded with 3M5200 and through bolted stainless steel J-bolts with stainless steel backing plates
- Skeg rudder rebuilt in 2014 by Windward Yacht Center, Marina del Ray CA
- Bronze thru hulls with ball valves – replaced 2008
- New bottom paint 2018
- Non-skid deck surface repainted 2012 and currently being prepped and painted for you!
- Teak cap rail
- Double lifelines – stainless steel 2008
- Opening ports (11)
- Four hatches with screens
- Dorades with teak boxes
- Beautiful canvas covers for hatches and dorade boxes
- Safe offshore cockpit
- Pedestal with Edson wheel steering (cable steering system)
- Teak combings nice to sit on
- Manual bilge pump in the cockpit
- Dodger with side hand holds
- Shade awning for foredeck
- Shade awning mast to cockpit
- Dual bow rollers
- Chain locker forward accessed from V berth
- Electric windlass- Ideal Model CHWSO rebuilt 2012
- Second wildcat for the windlass for larger chain
- Primary Bow anchor 66#Bruce with all chain rode
- Secondary anchor 45# CQR
- 300’ BBB chain new in 2018
- Two stern anchors; CQR and Danforth
- Chain and nylon rode for stern anchor
Avon Rover 310 roll up with wood floor easily carried on deck
Mercury 6hp outboard
Nova lift – lift crane for outboard
Outboard motor mount
- Switlik six person life raft in deck canister not certified
- PFDs type 1 adult and child
- Harnesses and tethers
- Jack lines
- EPIRB ACR Global Fix certified to 2021 – RLB-35
- Life sling
- Horse shoe throwable
- Crew overboard pole
- Two manual bilge pumps; one in cockpit and one below decks
- PAR bilge pump
- Rule spare bilge pump
- Fenders and dock lines
- Fire extinguishers
- CO detector 2015
- Smoke detector 2015
- Bolt cutters
- Gale rider drogue
- Storm jib and trys’l
- Bosun chair
- Radar reflectors (two)
- Flopper stopper
- Spare whale pump
- Spare parts for PAR pump
- Spare fittings for holding tank
The Valiant 40 lives up to its reputation earned over 35 years! As the first “Performance Cruiser" the Valiant 40 was pretty radical in the 1970s. Bob Perry’s long fin “cruising” keel and skeg hung rudder has become the definition of a stable fast ocean going boat today! The Valiant 40 designed 35 years ago still provides something cruising boats just didn't have, the ability to sail fast. And while she sails fast, she also sails safe. This is a rugged, robust, solid, safe, capable cruising vessel that is also affordable!
The Valiant 40 remains one of the very best ocean sailing vessels you can buy. It is the very same hull as the sought after Valiant 42. The same boat! A sailing vessel that is incredibly built, with virtually no weaknesses in the build or the design. Proven over and over, tough and hardly, the Valiant remains a couples cruising vessel of choice. She is like your “all ocean SUV" of the sailing world. No frills. Just function!
Regarding the Valiant Blister Years, here is an excerpt from Mark Schrader’s review of the Valiant 40 in Cruising World 2002. “Uniflite built 159 Valiant 40s from 1975 to 1984, when Rich Worstell, a Valiant owner and dealer, bought the molds. After producing some 40s in Washington, he eventually moved the operation to Texas. The first "Texas" Valiant 40 was hull number 267. Sometime during the Uniflite operation, between hull numbers 120 and 249, resin mixtures were changed to include a fire-retardant additive. Although conclusive proof was never established, there was a high correlation between the fire-retardant additive and the blisters that later developed on boats between those hull numbers. Blisters developed on most (but not all) of the boats produced between 1976 and 1981. Lots of those "blister" boats are out there with happy owners. Blistered boats represent great dollar value, but may also require costly repairs.”
Read the whole article at https://www.cruisingworld.com/sailboats/valiant-40
We are proud to offer this vessel for sail as she is an excellent example of a capable offshore cruising vessel of quality, style and substance. Having owned and sailed a Valiant 40, we can safely say we love the boat. Sabbatical is a very good boat, she is not new, but for the little money, you will not be disappointed.
I would not wait! If you have been wishing you had ordered your new Valiant, now is your chance to own one. Better call us now.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
Other Boats from David Walters Yachts
Annapolis, MD, United States
Annapolis, MD, United States
Annapolis, MD, United States
cheap and easy