1976 Herreshoff Mobjack 46 Ketch
- View Full Specifications
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- US$ 159,000 Tax Paid
Epaminondas is a beautiful example of L Francis Herreshoff designed Mobjack Ketch. She was built in New Zealand by Robin McGaffin to the design specifics.
The Mobjack design features an easy to sail ketch rig with a center cockpit for comfort and safety.
The interior is well thought out with a V berth forward, main salon and galley and either a walk thru or walk over to the aft stateroom.
The interior has been customized using various woods with the majority being New Zealand Kauri.
She has been lovingly maintained by her current owner including numerous upgrades.
- Ford Lehman diesel engine, 80 hp with 1770 hrs
- Northern Lights 5 kw generator with 1810 hrs
- Air conditioning, new 2016
- Updated rigging
- New paint job in 2017
- Bottom inspected in 2018, no blisters and in excellent condition
Derek Jarvis Senior Yacht Broker - Fort Lauderdale (954) 683-6047
Please contact Derek Jarvis at 954-683-6047
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Builder: Robin McGaffin
Designer: L Francis Herreshoff
Flag of Registry: United States
Hull Shape: Monohull
LOA: 52 ft 0 in
Beam: 12 ft 6 in
LWL: 44 ft 0 in
Maximum Draft: 5 ft 6 in
Displacement: 36000 lbs Full Load
Bridge Clearance: 62 ft 0 in
Headroom: 6 ft 2 in
Freeboard: 5 ft 0 in
Total Power: 80 HP
Engine Brand: Ford
Year Built: 1998
Engine Model: 490
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 1770
Propeller: 3 blade propeller
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 80 HP
Cruising Speed: 7 knots
Maximum Speed: 8 knots
Fresh Water Tanks: 2 Fiberglass (100 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: 2 Fiberglass (100 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: (10 Gallons)
Number of single berths: 1
Number of double berths: 2
Number of cabins: 2
Number of heads: 2
Wind speed and direction
Fully battened mainsail
Electric bilge pump
Manual bilge pump
Fresh water maker
Sea water pump
Shore power inlet
Electrical Circuit: 12V
Total Liferaft Capacity: 4
Epaminondas features a two stateroom, two head interior arrangement.
All the way forward is a V berth double with drawers under and shelves to port and starboard. There is also a hanging locker. There are a large hatch and ports for light and ventilation. The forward bulkhead allows access to the chain locker.
Moving aft is a set of six pullout drawers for storage.
Across to port is the guest head, beautifully finished in Herreshoff style of white bulkheads and natural kauri wood.
There are a sink, shower, Grocco manual head and numerous lockers for storage.
Next, we come to the main salon with an "L" shaped settee, and kauri table that converts into a double berth. Across is a comfortable berth for relaxing or a terrific sea berth while underway.
Outboard of the seating area is numerous shelves for books and lockers for storage. Above is a butterfly style opening hatch for natural light and air.
Aft to starboard is the functional galley which will be described next.
Across is the chart table/navigation station that includes the electrical panel and electronics. There is a drawer for charts and several other lockers for storage.
The walk-thru to the aft cabin is directly behind the nav area. Along the walk-thru is a full sized berth to port and the entrance to the engine room to starboard.
The aft stateroom features a full width athwartship double berth with lockers on each side. There are numerous opening ports and a large hatch right above the bed which allows a good breeze for sleeping.
More storage is found in drawers under the forward part of the bed
To starboard is a full sized head which has a sink, shower, head, and vanity.
The overall effect with the kauri joinery work and teak and holly sole reminds one of sailing days gone by!
Epaminondas features a well-designed galley for both food preparation at anchor or underway. Custom accents make this galley a charm.
- Double stainless sinks with hot and cold pressure water
- Custom Rich Beers refrigeration with stainless steel insulated boxes and teak lids.
- Force 10 two burner propane stove with oven
- 3 opening lockers and 5 pullout drawers for storage
- Under the sink storage
- Plenty of counter space for meal prep
- 6-gallon hot water heater
- Propane solenoid switch
- An opening port at eye level
Electronics & Navigation
Epaminondas onboard electronics include:
- Robertson AP300X Auto Pilot
- Garmin GPS chartplotter with 6" screen
- Furuno 1623 16 mile radar
- Furuno GP31GPS
- Furuno RD30 Depth Sounder
- Navtex NX300
- Icom 302 VHF radio
- West Marine portable VHF
- Danforth Sestral compass
- Bell clock
- Weems and Plath barometer
Deck Equipment, Sails, Rig
Epaminondas has a ketch rig with alloy masts and booms that are ICW friendly.
- Rigging continuously upgraded as needed (inspected in 2017)
- Running rigging replaced in 2017
- Powerful 12v electric windlass with 45# CQR anchor with 200' of 3/8 chain and 3/4 rode (Totally rebuilt in 2014)
- 35# CQR with 150' of chain and 50' of 3/4 rode, large Herreshoff spare anchor
- Double lifelines
- Large awning
- Numerous opening hatches and ports
- Dodger and Bimini
- Quantum main with three reef point, mizzen, Genoa, Asymmetrical, Mizzen staysail
Hank on storm jib
- 9 winches for various functions on board
- Pole mounted to the main mast
- Boom gallows
- Northern Lights 5 kw generator with sound shield (1806 hours)
- Sentry battery charger
- 12v engine and gen start batteries, 4 6v domestic batteries (2017)
- 6 gal hot water heater
- 12v and 110v electrical panel at nav station
- Sony stereo with speakers
- Sharp TV
- 75' 30 amp shore power cord
- Ford Lehman diesel, 80 hp with 1770 hours (installed in 1998)
- Racor fuel filters
- 3 blade bronze prop, cutlass bearing replaced in 2017
- Wheel, chain and cable steering system
- 5 kw Northern Lights generator
- Morse controls
- SeaRo 18 gal/h watermaker, 110 v runs off the generator
- DCB 4 man liferaft (needs service)
- ACR Eprib
- 15 lifejackets
- Lifesling and 2 round throwing rings
- Running and anchoring lights
- 10' Avon dinghy with Yamaha 15 hp outboard (both 2013)
- Fire extinguishers in each cabin
Epaminondas has been the finest vessel I’ve sailed on for 16 years. She made several passages to the NE, most especially Penobscot Bay. We have sailed her throughout the Bahamas since 2002. She is a classic blue water vessel and has been loved and maintained for the entire time I’ve had her.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
Other Boats from David Walters Yachts
Golden Era Petrel Daysailer
Longboat Key, FL, United States