1971 Salar 40
- View Full Specifications
One owner since 1972!
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Ardfern, Argyll & Bute, United Kingdom
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- £ 30,000 (US$ 37,422)
The Laurent Giles designed Salar 40 proved to be a very popular concept, a robust cruiser with a doghouse providing good shelter to the centre cockpit and sufficient horsepower to driver as a motor sailor if preferred. The design was produced around the globe in relatively large numbers with various configurations.
CAOLAS MOR was built by Essex Yacht Builders in 1972 and has been in the same ownership since. Over the years she has been professionally maintained, thoughtfully upgraded and regularly surveyed, her last survey was in 2017. Lightly used in the last 10 years the boat is well presented with comfortable accommodation below decks for 6 people, including an en-suite heads in the aft cabin. The owners advancing years have brought about the hard decision to sell this much loved member of the family, she comes with a full inventory with the majority of equipment a new owner would require to sail away.
Currently lying ashore under her winter cover here at Ardfern, serious offers are invited.
Please contact at +44 (0)7988763254
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Builder: Essex Yacht Builders Ltd
Designer: Laurent Giles
LOA: 11.90 m
Beam: 3.43 m
LWL: 9.45 m
Maximum Draft: 1.77 m
Displacement: 10565 kgs
Ballast: 3630 kgs
Total Power: 65 HP
Engine Brand: Perkins
Year Built: 1971
Engine Model: 4236
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Propeller: 3 blade propeller
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 65 HP
Fresh Water Tanks: 1 (380 Liters)
Fuel Tanks: 1 (570 Liters)
Electrical Circuit: 12V
- Traditional heavy weight hand consolidated GRP moulded hull.
- Full length traditional type keel.
- Lead ballast keel mounted externally.
- Full depth rudder secured on pintle.
- Topsides painted with International Paints two-pack paint system 2003
- Traditional heavy weight hand consolidated single piece moulded GRP deck and coachroof.
- Non-slip textured panels moulded into decks.
- GRP moulded doghouse.
- Timber and perspex fixed enclosure at aft end of doghouse to create full protected wheelhouse.
- Decks and coachroof painted with International Paints systems 2011
Spars and Rigging
- Masthead, single spreader sloop rig.
- Spars of gold anodised alloy, manufactured by Sparlight.
- Standing rigging of 1x19 stainless steel wire with roll swage terminals and chromed bronze rigging screws. All new in 2004
- On mast Bamar roller reefing system for mainsail.
- Hood Seafurl roller reefing system on forestay for genoa.
- Twin spinnaker pole tracks on mast.
- Removable inner forestay with Wichard tensioner. 2009.
- All running rigging completely replaced 2004/05.
- Z-Spars whisker pole.
- Mainsail - On mast roller reefing sail, white Dacron.
- Genoa - Roller reefing, white Dacron.
- Staysail - Heavy weight white Dacron, hank on to set on removable inner forestay. Owen Sails 2009
- Primary Winches - Gibb 9CR chromed bronze, two speed.
- Mainsail Outhaul - Lewmar 30st, chromed bronze, two speed.
- Mainsheet - Single speed
Mooring and Ground Tackle
- Main Anchor - Delta plough type anchor on 80m 3/8ths chain rode
- Kedge Anchor - Admiralty Pattern type on short 3/8th chain rode.
- Spare Anchors - 1x Bruce anchor 1x Fisherman type folding anchor.
- Windlass - FML 400 Electric windlass. Mounted on deck with chain gypsy and warping drum.
- Two pack painted coachroof and deck.
- Moulded non-slip panels painted in contrasting colour.
- Coachroof and doghouse tops painted in non-slip deck paint.
- Twin bow roller stem head fitting
- Panama style fairlead forward, port and starboard.
- Deck mounted horizontal windlass.
- Moulded bulwark running full length of deck edge with solid teak capping rail.
- Solid teak grabrails running the length of the coachroof and dog house roof.
- Stainless steel stanchion supporting stainless steel guardwires outboard. Guardwires completely replaced 2012.
- Fold down seat over liferaft on aft deck.
The original doghouse has been modified at the aft end to close in the cockpit with a timber framework and perspex panels. Washboards are fitted at the entrances on the port and starboard sides with perspex panels in way of the primary winches being fully removable. The modification creates a full enclosed cockpit and provides a second all weather living space. The cockpit itself is spacious with the large timber helm located centrally forward. Engine controls and instrumentation are all easily to hand and the three windows forward provide and excellent view. A chart table is provided forward of the helm on a varnished timber surface, some chart storage is provided below the working surface. Bench style seating is provides aft of the helm port and starboard with cavernous lockers beneath.
- Depth Sounder - Seafarer 700
- Wind Instrument - Autohelm ST50
- Log - Analogue
- Plotter - Garmin GPSMAP 450 (2008)
- VHF - Icom-M421 DSCVHF (2006)
- Handheld VHF - Silva S12
- Autopilot - Autohelm ST6000+ (1998) with SL100 remote control (2006)
- Hand Bearing Compass - Aalborg
- Freshwater System - Full pressurised hot and cold water system with faucets in galley, forward heads and aft heads.Hot water heated via calorifier with 240V heating element and engine feed. Water tank capacity - 380ltr
- Heating - Eberspacher diesel fired, blown air system with outlets in aft cabin, saloon and forepeak.
- Cooker - Plastimo Neptune 3000 gas stove. 3 burner, grill and oven.
- Fridge - Coolbox with SuperCool electric chiller unit.
- Forward Heads - Jabsco manual toilet, never used, installed 2016
- Aft Heads - ITT Jabsco manual toilet.
With one caring owner since she was built in 1972 CAOLAS MOR benefits from not having been 'modified' by a succession of different owners and the appearance of the finish below benefits from this. Internal joinery work is constructed from solid and veneer faced teak, finished with a gloss varnish. Throughout the interior soles are finished with carpets. As was customary at the time with designs of this type the aft cabin is accessible via a separate companionway, ideal for a couple cruising with younger children.
Forepeak - A clever design here allows the door for the hanging locker to double as a door into the forepeak when required. The space provides two well sized single berths in a V configuration. Access to the chain locker is provided forward via a large removable panel. Storage is provided with a small shelve running the length of the berths outboard while a good selection of locker space and drawers are provided beneath.
Forward Heads - The heads area is appointed with a brand new Jabsco manual toilet, vanity unit and stainless steel sink. An extendable sink faucet doubles as a shower head when required. The compartment is finished with easy clean formica facings and a teak sole grating. Opposite the heads is a full height wet hanging locker.
Galley - Running along the starboard side of the saloon space the galley is in a linear layout and open to the main saloon. The Plastimo Neptune 3 burner gas locker is located at the forward end with the stainless steel galley sink and drying rack set into the worktop running aft to the companionway. Top loading coolbox has been fitted with additional insulation and an electronic chiller unit to become a fridge. Good selection of storage provided beneath the worktop and in lockers outboard with dedicate storage racks for crockery.
Saloon - Opposite the galley to port the saloon table lies athwart ships with seating forward and aft. Gimballed oil lamps are fitted on the bulkheads to provide a cosy night light. A good volume of storage is again provided outboard of the seating and below each of the seating units.
Aft Cabin - Accessed via a separate companionway at the aft end of the cockpit the cabin provides two good sized single berths on the port and starboard sides. A central dresser type unit aft provides some personal storage space with additional large drawers beneath each bunk and a hanging locker to starboard forward.
Aft Heads - Located at the forward end of the cabin to port this is effectively an en-suite. A small compartment fitted out with manual toilet, sink and vanity unit.
- Liferaft - Ocean Safety 6 person cannister raft. Last serviced 2016, next service due 2019.
- EPIRB - resuceME EPIRB1, dual frequency, mounted inside saloon. Expires 2026
- Lifejackets - 4x Sowester Osprey - auto inflation type.
- Fire Blanket
- Pilot Gas Alarm
- Shore Power System - Hard wired RCD Protected system with ring main, immersion heater and battery charger.
- Battery Charger - 240V hardwired charger (2003)
- Wind Generator - LVM Aerogen 25
- Manual Bilge Pump
- Electric Bilge Pump
- Swimming Ladder - Custom made stainless steel folding swimming ladder mounted on transom with 3 rungs below water level (2003)
- Davits - Simpson type davits on transom.
- Tender - Zodiac C260 Aero (2008)
- Outboard - Honda 2.3hp, 4-stroke.
- Winter Cover - Heavy duty full cover with timber frame.
- Spares - With the owners giving up boating a large volume of spares and general tools are aboard the vessel and included with the inventory.
The engine is located within the cavernous space beneath the cockpit sole and is accessible by lifting the folding cockpit sole. Access around the engine for maintenance is excellent with the sole lifted. The space contains ample room to install a generator or any other gear that maybe required for longer distance cruising.
- Perkins 4.236 4 cylinder naturally aspirated marine diesel engine. 72hp
- Borg Warner Velvet Drive hydraulic marine gearbox.
- Conventional shaft type sterngear, completely overhauled 2004.
- Hydraulic, manually operated shaft brake.
- Fixed 3 blade bronze propeller.
- Adverc alternator smart charge controller.
- Exhaust system completely replaced 2010.
- Cathodic bonding system re-wired 2012
- Twin diesel tanks, total capacity 570ltr
All batteries replaced with new items in 2007.
In this case we are acting as brokers only. The Owner is not selling in the course of a business. whilst every care has been taken in their preparation , the correctness of these particulars is not guaranteed. The Purchaser is strongly advised to check the particulars and where appropriate at their expense to employ a qualified Marine Surveyor to carry out a survey and/or to have an engine trial conducted which if conducted by us shall not imply any liability for such engine on our part.
This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.