1968 Discovery 42
- View Full Specifications
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Port Townsend, WA
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- US$ 99,500
Extremely Well Updated Discovery 42!
Three State-room, Custom Hard Top Pilothouse, Ready to Cruise the PNW and Beyond, Great Liveaboard !
Beija Flor, Hummingbird in Portuguese (“Flower Kisser”), is a fastidiously maintained and brilliantly updated Discovery 42. Her owners, one a 40-year marine electrical and systems specialist, Whaleback Marine Systems, in Seattle, and both fantastic mariners, have been incredible stewards for Beija Flor during their ownership and after many years enjoying the boat they are moving on to new chapters. The boat is in excellent condition and ready for showings.
This Discovery 42, 3 Stateroom boat, features a 2003 Yanmar 4-Cylinder 56HP Diesel w/ 1997 hrs (oil changes every 50hrs), Auto Stream 3-Blade Stainless Steel Feathering Propeller, Custom Epoxy and Cold Molded Hard Top, Solaria Solar Panels, Salt Water Wash Down Pump, Anti-Flood System (see Descriptions under ‘Alarms’), Custom Shore Power System (see Descriptions under ‘Electrical System’), Custom Helm Pedestal, Auto Pilot, Garmin Chartplotter and Radar System, AIS, Aft Cabin, Electric Windlass, Custom Backlit Electrical Panel, 1000 Watt Stainless Water Heater, Water Maker, Emergency Fuel Pump System, a Kenwood CD/iPod Stereo with a 240 Watt Amplifier with JL and Boston Acoustic Speakers and Much More!
Beija Flor is well laid on deck with easy access to the cockpit from port and starboard. The side decks are wide and easy to navigate with very stout, oversized lifeline stanchions for safety. The bow deck area has a large storage cabinet forward of the mast. The life-lines connect to a stainless steel tube bow pulpit forward. The aft deck provides access to the BBQ, LPG Propane Storage and Swim Ladder. The Cockpit is very roomy and comfortable surrounded by the Custom Hard Top with Dimmable Lighting and great ventilation options.
Going aft down a single step, from the Cockpit, takes you into the Aft Cabin that houses a Double Berth, Vanity and Sink with Hot and Cold Water, a Hanging Locker, Storage and the step removes to provide access to the Engine Room that is extremely well organized, maintained and has great lighting. The Engine Room can also be accessed from the front of the Engine by removing the ladder to the Galley/Salon.
Going forward from the Cockpit takes you down a few steps to the Salon and Galley. The Galley is immediately to port with a Stainless Steel Sink, Kingston Brass Faucet, Microwave and Force 10 Stove and Oven with lots of storage. To starboard is a Nova Kool Refrigerator and Freezer, Navigation Station and a Custom Backlit Electrical Panel (see Descriptions under ‘Electric System’). Also aft on starboard is the Vacuum System Connection (that connects to a Shop-Vac in the Engine Room), Fuel Tank Gauge, and Flood and Bilge Controls. Going forward from the Galley and Navigation Area is a well-lit and roomy Salon with a U-Shaped Leather Dinette to port, large table with inlaid Compass Rose, Electric Heat unit and lots of storage. Ceiling Boards are Port Orford Cedar. Bulkheads are Ribbon Grain Mahogany. To starboard is a Leather Settee, all Salon Cushions are Leather with Dual Layer Foam, Flat Screen TV that connects to the Stereo System or iPod for Movies, Dickinson LPG Direct Vent Bulkhead mounted Heater and lots of storage.
Going forward from the Salon takes you to the Head to starboard that has an Electric Toilet, Sink with Hot and Cold Water, Shower with Extension for showering on deck and a heated Towel Rack. To port is a cabin with two Bunks, storage and a Hanging Locker. All the way forward is a beautiful V-berth with a Custom Mattress, lots of light, an Overhead Hatch and a Hanging Locker.
Last Bottom Paint: January 2021
Zincs Replaced: January 2021
Last Oil Change: Every 50 hours, 2020
The current owners are the 3rd owners and have cared for Beija Flor for 17 years, they lived aboard for 12. They have taken extremely good care of Beija Flor and their updates and attention to detail will benefit the next owners for years, and years, to come. Other upgrades from the previous owner(s): new Yanmar Diesel, new Skeg and Rudder, and new Keel Bolts. This boat is clean, extremely well-maintained, smart, extremely well-upgraded on deck and down below, organized and ready to take on any horizon!
More information on the Beija Flor available.
Showings available by request, thank you!
Please contact Rob Sanderson at 360-316-9370
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Designer: Stan Huntingford
Flag of Registry: United States
LOA: 42 ft 0 in
Beam: 12 ft 6 in
Length on Deck: 42 ft 0 in
Minimum Draft: 7 ft 0 in
Displacement: 30000 lbs
Headroom: 6 ft 3 in
Total Power: 56 HP
Engine Brand: Yanmar
Year Built: 2003
Engine Model: JH3E 3-Cylinder
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 1997
Propeller: 3 blade propeller
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 56 HP
Cruising Speed: 7 knots
Maximum Speed: 8 knots
Number of single berths: 3
Number of double berths: 2
Number of cabins: 2
Number of heads: 1
Electrical Circuit: 12V
- Boat Construction: GRP, Hand Laid
- Decks, Cabin Side and Cabin Tops: Fiberglass with Closed Cell Foam Core (doesn't absorb water, core sample available for viewing)
- Hard Top: Custom designed and built Epoxy, Cold-Molded Full Length Hard Top with Detachable Side and aft Eisen Glass Curtains
- Rudder: Stainless Steel Armature, Epoxy w/ Plywood core
- Stanchions: Custom and Oversized
- Steering: Hydraulic
- Ship's System: 12VDC & 120VAC
- Shore Power: Custom Shore Power System that accepts 30A/120V or 50A/240V
- Electrical Panel: Custom designed, backlit, w/ digital meters and dimmable backlighting through light reactive paint
- New Wiring throughout (2014)
- Battery Charger: ProMariner 60Amp Digital
- Inverter: 300 Watt (New 2010)
- Alternator: 150 Amp Dual Belted w/ D-50 Regulator
- Solar: Solaria 650 Watt System. Sellers Note: At Anchor, with engine off, the solar system will enable you to run the Watermaker and make 25 Gallons of fresh water, continue running the fridge, and have fully charged batteries by late afternoon. Sellers have observed as much as 40 Amp output at 14.4V (576 watts) from the solar system! You can also shade the panels 10% and they will still put out 90% power!
- Solar Charge Controller: Outback Controller w/ Remote (New 2017)
- House Batteries: AGM 675, 650AH (New 2021)
- Starting Battery: AGM 125AH (New 2015)
- Smart Plug Shore Power
- Bilge Pump(s): (2) Auto/Manual Latching Switches (so you don't hold them to operate), 2000GPH
Electronics and Navigation Systems:
- Chart Plotter and Radar: Garmin 5212
- VHF and AIS: Standard Horizon GX2150 w/ RAM Mic at Helm. Matris AIS feeding to Garmin System
- Auto Pilot: Simrad
- Depth Sounder: Standard Horizon
- Compass: Ritchie bulkhead mount w/ night lighting
- Ship's Clock and Barometer: Shatz
- Stereo: Kenwood CD/iPod w/ 240 Watt Amplifier going to pair of JL and a pair of Boston Acoustic speakers. Incredible custom designed sound for music lovers!
- TV: AOC Flatscreen, swing out, inverter-driven. Can play movies via Kenwood Stereo or iPod w/ Surround Sound
- High Bilge and High Engine Room Heat Alarms w/ Loud Noisemaker: System designed so if an alarm occurs, from the helm you may mute the noisemaker to deal with the alarm condition, which will show at the helm with a specific red light until the condition is alleviated. When the mute switch is activated, a red light will come on to indicate that you have muted the system and will stay on until you re-activate the noisemaker.
- Switching at Helm are for Tri-Color light or Nav Running lights, Spreader lights, Foredeck lights, Compass light, Fuel Pump, Engine Room lights, Discharge Pump and Alarm Mute
- Indicator Lights at Helm are for Engine Room Heat/Fire, High Bilge, Bilge Pump Running, Fresh Water Pump Running (not connected), Engine Room Lights "on", Fuel Pump Running, Discharge Pump Running, Mute switch "on"
- Whaleback Stop Flood Alarm System: (Design and Invention by Seller) Monitors Bilge Pumps. If Bilge Pump Activates, it will perform these functions automatically:
- Shut Off Fresh Water Connection from dock
- Shut Off Fresh Water Pump
- Shut Off Salt Water Wash Down Pump
- Gives a 1-Second pulse blink of the bilge pump running light at helm to alert skipper to alarm condition
- Closes switch that can activate an optional "call out" alarm
- System reset switch can be operated by skipper
- Bilge Pumps have green LED indicator lights to show that they are armed in the automatic position and red LED lights showing that they are running. This panel is down in Salon
- Refrigerator: 12V Nova Kool w/ Separate Freezer Door
- Sink: Stainless w/ Kingston Brass Faucet w/ Ceramic Disc Valves (New 2017)
- Countertop: New 2017
- Stove and Oven: Force 10 4-Burner LPG
- Microwave: Tappan
- Lots of Storage
- Bulkheads: Ribbon Grain Mahogany
- Ceiling Boards: Port Orford Cedar from Salon fwd
- Salon and Seat Back Cushions: 16 Custom-made Leather Cushions (New 2014) w/ Dual Layered Foam for comfort and durability
- Tons of Storage
- Cabin Heater: Dickenson Newport LPG w/ Direct Vent
- Electric Heaters: King Dial-a-Watt Stainless Electric Heaters throughout boat
- Central Vacuum System
- Foc'sle: Custom King Mattress, can be converted back to two separate beds. Drawers and hanging locker. Port Orford Ceiling Boards
- Portside Bunk Cabin: Storage Drawers, Mirror and Hanging Locker
- Aft Stateroom: Athwartships Double Berth, Vanity Sink w/ Hot and Cold Water, Drawers, Cubicle Storage and Small Hanging Locker
- Toilet: Tecma Electric Head
- Heated Towel Rack: Runtal Neptune 450 Watt Programmable Heated Towel Bar
- Shower: Handheld w/ Extension for Showering on deck
- Fuel Tank(s): (2) 90 Gallon, Fiberglass = 180 Gallons Total
- Water Tank(s): (2) 60 Gallon, (1) Fiberglass, (1) Stainless (Aft) = 120 Gallons Total
- WaterMaker: Pur Power Survivor 80-2 80 Gallon/Day. Complete with all spares w/ selector valve at galley sink for testing water quality and sending it to the tank. Excellent quality for drinking according to Katadyn and Aqua Pro TDS water tester.
- Hot Water Heater: 1000 Watt Stainless Steel Tank Water Heater w/ Temperature Adjusting Mixing Valve and Heat Exchanger from the Engine's Cooling System. (Hot Water when you're plugged in or when you are running the engine, but is delivered through a mixing valve that gives you a lot more usable hot water capacity)
- Holding Tank: 35 Gallon, Can be pumped out from deck or with a Sealand T-12 Electric Discharge Pump. Schedule 40 PVC 1 1/2" plumbing
Engine and Fuel System:
- Yanmar 3-Cylinder JH3E 56 HP, Naturally Aspirated w/ 1997 hrs (New 2003)
- Propeller: 3-Blade 316 Feathering Stainless
- Filters: Dual Racor 500 Filter Package w/ Preemptive Carson Pump protected by a Baldwin 1212 spin-on filter. Pump can be switched from Helm or in Engine Room
- System Design: System specifically designed to (in an emergency) pressurize a partially plugged Racor to keep the engine running. Fill up the Racor canister after changing to a new filter and via a selector valve that will polish and transfer fuel at 32 gallons per hour when boat is sailing or sitting.
- Hard Top: Custom made, epoxy, cold-molded full length hard top with solid wood edges, exterior grab rails and detachable side and aft Eisen glass curtains.
- Helm Pedestal: Custom w/ all necessary switching, indicator lights, alarms, and chart system, auto pilot w custom cockpit lighting dimmer. RAM mic for main VHF
- Cockpit Cushions: Custom
- Salt Water Wash Down System
- BBQ: LPG Stainless Steel
- Storage Locker: Forward of Mast
- Stern LPG Tank Storage Rack
- Swim Ladder
Sails and Rigging:
- Genoa: 110% Roller Furled, Good Condition
- Furler: Hood Yachts Systems
- Main: Fully Battened w/ (New) Lazy Jacks, Strong Track and Stack Pack, Sail in Good Condition
- Cruising Gennaker: Brand New, Never Used
- Standing Rigging: New 2003
- Electric Windlass: LoFrans
- Primary Anchor: 45lb CQR w/ 250' Chain w/ anchor marking system, stainless swivel
- Secondary Anchor: 35lb CQR
- "Lunch"/Spare Anchor: Fortress
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
Other Boats from Port Townsend Boat Company
Port Townsend, WA, United States
Port Angeles, WA, United States
Juneau, AK, United States
Camper & Nicholsons
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico