1967 Custom Long Range Luxury Yacht
- View Full Specifications
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Located In:
- Victoria, BC
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- US$ 430,000
An outstanding 1967 73’Custom-Built Long-Distance, Ocean Crossing, Flush Deck Cruiser, well known as a “little ship”, is now on the market!
Pioneer was built in 1966-67 in Chula Vista, CA as a customized offshore yacht to meet the highest industrial and military standards of that time. Comfort, safety and long-range was the target. She is a one-of-a-kind, built to order, some say unusually overbuilt for the early days of long distant cruising boats and too expensive to be built in todays competitive market. It begins with a fiberglass hull that is 6" thick, 70’ WL (73’ LOA), 20 1/2’ beam, 6 1/2’ draft, full displacement that comes in at 91 net tons/130 gross tons. Her interior configuration has been designed to comfortably accommodate up to 6 people in 3 staterooms including a full-beam master suite on the lower deck aft. Her elegant choices of wood throughout the vessel, create a warm cozy living space. The mechanics of the design were chosen to perfectly match the heavy-duty hull with redundancies everywhere.
George Moore, Naval Architect (San Diego) and designer of Pioneer, and William Weinberg, owner, supervised the custom build in a private site purchased specifically for the project. The plan was to build her as a sea-kindly, ocean crossing full displacement hull that is safe, efficient and economical to operate. Over her very active history Pioneer has completed many ocean passages, including dozens of long distance non-stop coastal passages (e.g. non-stop from Southern California to various Mexican ports, British Columbia, Alaska and Hawaii.
Pioneer has had 4 owners and was based in Southern California and Hawaii during her
first 33 years. For the last 19 years Pioneer has been based in the PNW with annual trips north of Desolation Sound to Northern BC and Alaska as well as local Gulf and San Juan Islands and the Puget Sound. The original owner had the boat for 24 years cruising the West Coast of North America, Mexico and Hawaii, the second owner was a boat broker based in Hawaii, the 3rd owner a Texas couple based in Hawaii and then Southern California, and the current owner for over 20 years cruising from Manzanillo, Mexico to Glacier Bay, Alaska, keeping the boat in the PNW since.
Pioneer had a full time captain for 27+ years working for the 1st and 3rd owners The current owners are a couple who have operated the vessel without crew since purchasing the boat, often spending 2-3 weeks at anchor before tying up at a marina 5-6 months each year.
Some notable events regarding Pioneer, while in Hawaii, because of her beautiful lines, she has been used in a few movies with Harrison Ford and also Robert Wagner.
Call today to book your private viewing of this "little ship!"
It would be my pleasure to answer any questions you may have about this vessel. Please call or email at you convenience.
Please contact Robert Ksyniuk at 250.327.4572(Cell)
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Flag of Registry: United States
Hull Shape: Displacement
LOA: 73 ft 0 in
Beam: 20 ft 6 in
Dry Weight: 186000 lbs
Number of heads: 2
Engine and Mechanical
The walk-in Engine room is located mid-ship. This is a very spacious open room that contains the main engines and generators, work bench, drill press, electric grinder, acetylene torch, air compressor, an extensive selection of tools and test equipment, spare parts for many of the ships mechanical and electrical systems, copper plumbing for the 12 diesel fuel tanks, fuel circulating and transfer pumps, hot water heater, water maker, 2 battery banks, 2 inverters and a battery charger, 100 gal. bulk oil storage tank and more . Ample workspace with 6′ 6″+ head room and great walk around access on 7 sides of the 2 main engines and 2 generators
- 2 x Cummins NH-250 (855 cu. in.) Marine Diesel (both Rebuilt 2012) rated at 250 hp each, naturally aspirated. Fresh water cooled
- Dry stack engines, flybridge deck funnel
- Twin Disk MG 509 Marine Gearbox– 2.95 to 1, Hydraulic
- 2" Drive Shafts, Monel Steel - thru stuffing box to 5-blade props
- 5 Blade bronze props with 2 x spare 5 blade props
- 3 x Cutlass bearings support each shaft with enclosed struts
- 2 x Cummins JN 130 Generators 40 Kw each (fixed 1200 rpm) with GE generators, both engines rebuilt in the 90s, port engine top end rebuilt in 2000, fresh water cooled
- Dual fuel circulating and polishing pump system with 2 750 Luberfiner primary filters for trapping contaminates and water and recirculating fuel back into the fuel storage tank to maintain a clean source of diesel.
- Secondary Dahl #200 fuel filter/water separators after the Day Tank, plus built-in engine fuel pump filters.
- 2 x fuel transfer pumps with flow meter,
- All fuel passes through a polishing/filtering system prior entering the Day Tank
- Built-in hand oil sump pump for each engine making for easy oil changes.
- Oil changed and analyzed regularly.
- Port generator oil changed Oct 2019
- Well ventilated Engine room via high 2 speed fans bringing in fresh clean air from the flybridge, away from salty sea spray.
- Three 75 lbs.CO2 tanks with a Kiddie automatic and manual fire suppression system in the engine room and 3 CO2/ABC fire extinguishers
- Six Large Heavy-Duty Bronze Portholes for light and ventilation
Both engines: PLEASE NOTE Gallons Per Mile (GPM)
- 1600 RPM 8.5 knots, fuel consumption 1.2 GPM with generator.
- 1800 RPM 9.5 knots; fuel consumption 1.5 GPM with generator.
- 2400 RPM 10.5+ knots;
- 1600 RPM 7.0+ knots; fuel consumption 0.6-0.8 GPM with generator.
- 1800 RPM 7.5 - 8.0 knots; fuel consumption 1.0+/- GPM with generator.
- 2400 RPM
- Pacific Products “Mark VIII Sea Level” Active Hydraulic Fin Stabilizers
- Wagner hydraulic steering system with 2 pumps and oil reservoir allows operating one at a time or both when in heavy seas
- Hydraulic stabilizer installation, pump, motor, oil tank, etc. - 1 x located port aft engine room
- Kahlenberg Air compressor (air horn) - 1 x located center engine room
- Jabsco/Mansfield Bilge pumps 5 x all Bronze ball valves, plus both generators have emergency high volume belt driven bilge pumps as well
- Flow-Scan Fuel monitoring gauges on both mains - Industrial spec
- AMF CUNO Maxim Aquafresh water maker (heat recovery evaporator) 1 x high output 12 - 20+ GPH depending on heat sources
- Pioneer’s parts inventory. There are tens of thousands of dollars of spare parts for engines and many of the boat systems, such as spare props, oil and diesel filters, thermostats, fuel solenoids, pump parts and rebuild kits, motors, valves, seals, gaskets, AC, oil, SS 50’davit cable replacement, etc.,. Parts Kits: O-rings, retaining rings, Stewart-Warner flexible shaft maker, electrical wire connectors, and much more.
- Extensive Collection of Mechanics Tools and Test Equipment including: ¼:, ½” and ¾” sockets, pliers, wrenches, drivers, pry bars, crimper tools, cutters, heat gun, 3/8” & ½” power drills, pipe cutters/threaders, tubing benders, bearing, bushing, impeller extractors, and prop pullers, grease guns, oil cans, hand pumps, funnels and more. All the tools necessary to repair most systems and complete an engine rebuild on-site.
- A partial list of replacement components includes the following spares: 32 V engine starter motor, complete Jabsco raw water pump, fuel solenoid, thermostat, AC fan motor, circulating pump/motor. Note: The choice of Cummins motors for the generators was because the 4 motors share a lot of common parts including starter motor, fuel solenoid, raw water pump, full flow and by-pass filters and so on. The common parts reduce the need to store different parts for different make engines which is often the case on pleasure yachts that are built for long distance travel to remote places where parts have to be air shipped in at great expense and loss of time.
Pioneer's thoughtful layout is an ideal comfortable cruising design. She has 6' 6"+ head room throughout. On the lower deck the owner’s family aft suites are inspired by the idea of providing comfort and privacy, with a gorgeous spacious master suite aft; crew quarters were located forward accessed by a separate set of stairs from the salon. The salon and galley are midship on the main deck and above the engine room with the wheelhouse forward with large windows throughout the main deck cabins. Exotic woods were used everywhere bringing in rich grains and warm tones using first growth Burmese teak on the main deck, American Black Walnut in the master stateroom, Oak and Mahogany in the other 2 staterooms with carved solid wood closet doors of exceptional quality and design in all 3 staterooms. Beautiful hardware on all doors. The large exterior deck is open and safe, allowing anyone to enjoy the beautiful location you happen to be while at anchor or underway!
- Cabins; 1 x Master with King, 2 x Cabins with Single and Twin Beds
- Excellent cabin layouts - The master stateroom is full beam aft with a walk around King bed, 2 large lockers (6’ wide lighted hanging closets port and starboard, storage below the bed and end tables)
- Four (4) large portholes for light and fresh air.
- Built-in sets of dresser drawers forward of the hanging lockers, one used as an office desk or vanity, the other for clothes and personal items
- The bed base, cabinets, and hanging locker doors all finished with American Black Walnut
- Large ensuite off the master with full size shower
- Guest stateroom: A guest stateroom is forward of the master and is to starboard. Includes 2 single beds and plenty of storage. Hanging locker, bed frames with storage drawers, doors and trim all finished in beautiful oak wood. Outside this cabin in the hall is a separate door to the master head.
- Forward Guest stateroom: 3rd stateroom is located forward of the engine room. It includes 2 raised single beds, built-in bureaus, a hanging locker and large storage cabinets under each bed, which is all finished in rich mahogany. This stateroom was originally designed for crew with ladder access from the stateroom to the main deck forward of the wheelhouse. This allowed for the owner’s privacy in the main cabin.
- Private guest head adjacent to the forward stateroom recently upgraded to match master ensuite.
- Included in this section of the vessel is a walk-in deep freeze/pantry/beverage storage room (325 cu. Ft.),
- Further aft is a huge stand up engine room and workshop with 3 watertight access doors
- A large storage room is to port, just aft of the engine room. This space is currently used for spare parts, plumbing systems, electrical panels, carpet cleaner, vacuum cleaner and other items
- Space under the aft stairs leading to the main deck is also storage
- The salon is mid ship and a cozy spot with seating on the starboard side and an entertainment cabinet and expandable dining table/chairs to port
- Next aft is the galley, stairs to the lower deck aft and a walkway to the aft deck.
- The wheelhouse forward is spacious with a center helm seat, chart table and pilot seat/berth to starboard. There are teak doors on either side giving access to the exterior side deck and a teak door leading to the salon. The side and salon doors are used for adjusting fresh air flow and a comfortable temperature while underway
- Carpeted flooring throughout the lower and main decks and interior stairs, except for the galley, deep freeze and engine room
- Stairs leading to the lower staterooms aft, forward cabins and flybridge are full width and centered in the boat.
- As you enter up the steps from the swim platform you come to a large covered open space which is used for outdoor relaxing, dining and entertainment. A removable dinning table can be set up when required. Aft to either side is built-in bench seating. Complete canvas/screen sides can be attached to help block winds. A washer and dryer are located inside a built-in cabinet on the starboard side below a large window/pass through opening to the galley. The aft deck space easily accommodates 8 people for a meal and has had up to 18 on special occasions.
- Very spacious wide side decks for easy movement back and forth, front to back, on both sides of the main cabin. From the aft deck there are full width steps to the flybridge deck and the swim platform (no awkward ladders to negotiate). The forward deck has spacious room in front of the wheelhouse to put a table or seating for relaxing, refreshments or dining; plus a large storage locker in front of the wheelhouse for fenders, dock lines, water hoses and other items. In this storage locker there is an access hatch and ladder leading to the forward guest stateroom on the lower deck. All deck surfaces and steps are painted with non-skid
Fly bridge Deck
- The flybridge deck is a prime space for making an enclosed sky lounge on the forward half reconfigured for a wonderful living/entertainment area
- Access to the flybridge is achieved via a wide molded stairway leading upwards from the Main deck aft deck, or up a classic wooden staircase located in the wheelhouse.
- The dry stack funnel centered adds to the lines of this beautiful ship and there is more seating on both sides with more storage underneath
- The flybridge/sun deck has a limited helm station forward with 3 Captain seats center and 2 front facing bench seats with storage below on port and starboard and additional storage under the dashboard forward of the seating.
- Large engine room fan intake units used for salt free air to cool the engine room, are located here behind the front facing seats with storage underneath.
- An insulated block ice box is located on the starboard side and a vented storage cabinet on the port side.
- Further aft there is a huge open space for storage and relaxing, with a mounted storage box center, 16-person life raft on port
- A 2,000 lb. 360-degree electric davit mounted on the starboard side, used to lift kayaks, bikes etc. as well as spare anchors
Hull and Deck Construction
The hull construction is of the highest quality fire retardant F/G resin reinforced with multiple layers of woven roving making a 1 ½” laminate on the inside and 1 ½” on the outside; and a 3” foam core center made up of 4” X 3” horizontal foam strips wrapped with F/G woven roving and resin making the boat hull solid, and able to stay afloat in the event of a severe break in the hull due to an impact accident. At the keel the F/G hull is reinforced up to 6” on the radius’. Internally the boat hull is further protected with built in 12 x F/G fuel tanks (3,925 US gals) surrounding the sides and bottom of the hull’s interior, effectively creating a double hull below the water line.
- Original naval architect drawings in duplicate with all details of construction, materials and specifications are included with the yacht.
- Full displacement fiberglass hull that is 6+ inches thick
- Raked stem and flared bow design
- Wide Centered molded transom steps, off the swim grid lead up to the Main deck
- A 2nd set of wide molded steps lead upwards from the Main deck giving access to the flybridge deck
- Interior has 5 watertight doors and a watertight chain locker forward, dividing the vessel into 3 separate watertight compartments and 2 semi watertight areas where the stairs are located
- Active Fin Stabilizers designed for offshore
- All Ships power is 110 V, 240 V, 32 V
- Hubbell 50 Amp 125 – 250 VAC Shore power service (3 x connections)
- 2 x Cummins JN 130 Marine Diesels powering 2 40 KW General Electric Brushless Generators, GE Silicon Controlled Rectifier Voltage Regulators, with Woodward Speed Control Governors (fixed 1200 rpm,). Both engines rebuilt in the late 1990’s, port generator top end rebuilt in 2000.
- 2 x Engine mounted 50 Amp alternators with option to choose one over the other or both
- Spare 120 Amp alternator
- DYNO 2 volt industrial cell (locomotive use) X 16 (32 volts)house bank batteries
- DYNO 8 volt X 4 (32 volts) starting batteries (2017)
- 2 x Outback Inverter/Charger 2 X M/N: VFX 3232M, Hub 4, Mate Controller true sign wave AC output.
- 50 Amp ConstaVolt Charger
- Bartell Galvanic isolation
Galley and Laundry
The large galley is designed for preparing great food and simply connecting you to the dining options either to the aft patio or the interior salon
- Granite Countertops
- Upper/Lower Galley Cabinets
- Jenn Air 4 burner stove/oven
- MVP IV Microwave
- Force 10 Marine BBQ
- GE Refrigeration Fridge/Freezer 20.7 cu.ft
- Walk-in Freezer located lower level
- Electric Toaster oven
- Portable Induction Burner
- Kohler Porcelain sink
- Magic Chef Dish Washer
- Braun trash compactor
- Frigidaire Washer/Dryer secured in a cabinet & located on the aft deck
Wheelhouse Navigation and Equipment
- Stand up - Furuno B&W 100-mile Radar w/monitoring and warning station added
- Com Nav Autopilot
- DECCA Pilot 752 Gyro Auto pilot
- ICOM IC-M59 VHF Radio
- ICOM IC-M120 Marine Transceiver and Hailer
- ICOM Shortwave Radio communication
- Intercom system setup to communicate to various rooms throughout the vessel
- Furuno Depth sounder
- Separate Wind direction and speed gauges
- Fluxgate compass 2 x, Magnetic compass 1 x
- Navigation w/ laptop and software includes a duplicate monitor
- Magnavox GPS Receiver
- Magellan Nav 6500 GPS tracking
- Magellan DBR GPS accuracy unit
- Bulova Acutron for celestial navigation
- Extensive inventory of paper charts (All of the West Coast North America, Mexico, Hawaii, Alaska)
- Interphase Twin Scope Forward Sonar
- Furuno Fax-108 Weather fax
- Engine Data Panel: Tachometer, Engine oil pressure, Gear oil pressure, Engine water temperature, Engine synchronizer
- Wagner Steering system includes jog steering on the wheel
- Rudder indicator
- Morse shift control with idle lever
- Navigation lights - Port, Stern, Anchor & Steaming
- 2 Mile 500,000 W Search light
- Twin Trumpet air horn
- Some systems are redundant but left in place because of quality and appearance
- Fuel - Diesel - 12 tanks - 3925 US gal total -fiberglass
- Includes a 30 gal. S/S Diesel Day Tank.
- Fuel - Gasoline - 1x 100 US gal - fiberglass
- Oil - Bulk oil tank 100 gal.
- Water - 2 x 500 US gal (1,000 US gal) - fiberglass
- Hot Water - 30 gal
- IDEAL Windlass 2500 lb. - 3 hp
- 575 ft 5/8' chain attached to 208 lb CQR anchor
- 90 lb Danforth as back-up & 35 lb Danforth
- Galvanized 3/8" extra chain on board as backup
- 200 ft of 3/4" line as backup
- 25 ft of 5/8" chain
Tender Package and Setup
- 13 ft Boston Whaler Sport tender (restored and painted 2016) w/ electric start, tilt and power steering
- 50 HP Honda Motor (2009)
- Transom davit hanging high to give 6’6” + headroom above the swim platform
- 2 HD hand crank winches.
- Fuel tank - 100 gal built into the Aft section of the hull for extra Petro for the tender
- Lewmar windlass controlled from the helm
- Bruce anchor - 50 ft chain & 200 ft rode
- Full Winter sunbrella covering the flybridge deck from windshield to the transom
- Meshed canvas coverings, snap onto windows and various other locations
- Portable Patio Dining Table
- Extensive inventory of Docking lines (different sizes and lengths)
- Washing down equipment, fresh water taps aft and forward
- Water hoses, brushes, poles, chamois, blades
- Various Washing/Cleaning products
- Teak cap rail and hand rail sunbrella protective coverings
- Bose sound System inside and out
- Interior has original Heat/Air conditioner units - Now convenient to use the electric base heaters
- Includes all manuals for almost every system on board.
- Complete report on the engine rebuild including details of post and prior tests
- Extensive medical inventory
- Canvas protective covers for wheelhouse Electrical instruments
- Ships brass clock and barometer
- Hidden secure cabinets for protection of personal items
Safety and Audible Alarms
- Life Rafts: 16 person & 15 Person Man Overboard Equipment
- Life Jackets
- HORSESHOE / Rescue Collar with line & Two 27” Life ring with line
- Jim Buoy Sea Anchor
- Re-boarding Ladder
- Horns: Twin Trumpet Compressed air horn
- 2 Mile - 500,000 W Search light
- Audible alarms for Engine, Day Fuel Tank Low, High Water Bilge, Smoke/Heat, Refrigeration warning, Water Maker
- Fire Extinguishers: CO2 & ABC located throughout the vessel
- Flares, Fire Axe, Fire buckets Flashlight
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
Other Boats from Calibre Yacht Sales
Victoria, BC, Canada
Escape 1080 S
Victoria, BC, Canada
North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Whitacre 68 Offshore Adventure Pleasure Yacht
Ladysmith, BC, Canada
Victoria, BC, Canada