This Starling Burgess designed gaff-rigged topsail schooner was built
in 1924 in Essex, Massachusetts by J.F. James and Sons. She was
designed in the typical Grand Banks tradition with a spoon bow, round
bilge and full keel. Originally christened PILOT, she served 47 years
as a Boston pilot ship. For a period of that time she served along
side the pilot ship ROSEWAY.
In the 1970’s she was purchased to circumnavigate the globe. She
got as far as Fiji and in 1976 was sold. Her next owner renamed her
STAR PILOT and obtained a US Coast Guard certification to serve as a
school ship. She passed ownership again in 1998. Then soon after
sailed from San Diego, California, to Nova Scotia. In Nova Scotia she
had a major refit and was used as a training ship for young seafarers.
At that time her name was changed to HIGHLANDER SEA.
In 2002 the vessel was purchased by her current owners. In 2004
she had a major refit. The HIGHLANDER SEA now serves as the community
tall ship for Port Huron, Michigan.