The VX is a fresh and exciting sport one-design for the international two to three person racing enthusiast. The design concept is born of a careful review of performance one-design demographics within this category worldwide. The VX offers sailors from Junior to advanced, a vehicle for perpetual enjoyment of performance sailing in an affordable, durable, and technically advanced package, and at a realistic price.
NORTH AMERICAN AND REGIONAL REGATTAS – CLASS GROWING ALL THE TIME!! 21 boats at the 2013 North Americans in Texas. Newport, RI expects 12 to 15 boats by the summer of 2014, racing weekly from April through October. Winter venues almost every month throughout the SE and Gulf coast states.
50 ORDERED AND 30 ALREADY DELIVERED!
Now being built in the UK and shipped to US for commissioning.
The core principle is that the sailor gets to sail what is, within an affordable price, the most technology for the dollar available anywhere on the market today. Simply put, a “Big bang for the buck”.
The VX One Design offers:
*Team Design Approach: The VX team includes lead design and concepts by Viper 640 designer, Brian Bennett, naval architecture and design engineering by Ross Weene and Rodger Martin, rig development and engineering by John Clinton and the Southern Spars team, and deck layout by Harken. The VX is designed with Multisurf Yacht design software, 3D modeled with Rhino ceros, and VVP analysis by the Wolfston unit (UK) software. Hull tools will be cut with precision 5 axis CNC equipment for perfect geometry and replication.
* Optimized Construction Techniques: The VX will be built using a conservative level of technology. Major components will be resin-infused with Vinylester and e glass with PVC cores, and Armorflex gelcoat. This is the most environmentally considerate approach to building a production boat and will provide a tough, durable craft, with optimal performance and longevity. Due to the 3-D design process, all parts and systems can be duplicated with precision and stocked for quick turnaround if needed. This will be a boat that will give many years of racing service.
*ISAF One Design Development: The VX is being developed from the start using ISAF templates and guidelines to guarantee strict international design and build tolerances, and class management development.
* Cost-down engineering: A difficult task requiring experience and an understanding of the dynamics involved in producing and marketing race boats, this is a process where we look carefully at the target market and competition to determine what we feel customers will pay for the finished product, and engineer the project from this figure backwards.
* Logistics Efficiencies: Sailing is an expensive sport and suffers from varying degrees of inefficiency. The VX is designed to consider the long-ranging impact of shipping and moving multiple boats and associated equipment efficiently. On initial delivery, the VX can be delivered 3 units per 20’ container, or 8 units per 40’ HC container. The hull is light enough to comfortably stack 3 high on a road single trailer. The Southern Spars Carbon rig is shipped in 2 pieces for easy handling and stocking.
Specifications and Features
Some basic facts: (VX One version)
- LOA = 19′/5.79m
- LWL = 18.83′/5.74m
- Beam = 7.17′/2.19m
- SA Main + Jib = 215 sq ft./19.97 sq m.
- SA Gennaker = 280 sq ft./26 sq m.
- Draft, keel down = 4.33′/1.32m
- Crew Weight tolerance = 380 – 450 lbs (2-3 person)
- Boats built and serviced in the U.S.A.
- GNAV (above boom Vang)
- Self Tacking Jib on Harken Radial track
- Recessed Harken Jib furler
- Large mouth Gennaker launcher
- Single line Gennaker halyard/ retrieval/ pole launcher
- Clear coated Carbon mast by Southern Spars (NZL)
- Clear coated Carbon Gennaker prod
- Clear coated Carbon Boom
- Simple, uncluttered cockpit
- Extruded and Anodized Aluminum keel for perfect shape and durability
- High performance profile Carbon-Glass rudder
- Simplified rig concepts utilizing sensible engineering to provide for easy tuning
- Storage for Day gear/ Provisions
- Under deck paddle storage
- Optional Outboard bracket (2 Hp Outboard) for recreational use
- No paid professional programs at VX One level*
- See SS version for pro/am rules.
- All sailors welcome. No owner-driver restrictions.
- KISS approach
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.