- View Full Specifications
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Charleston, SC
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- US$ 1,195,000
Major Price Reduction - A Tremendous Opportunity!
A world class yacht, meticulously maintained with a shoal draft advantage no other yacht can match.
Call now for additional information & pictures.
“Sarai” Is a striking yacht, designed by Ed Dubois and built by English craftsman to cross oceans and to take you to those special places hard to reach with other yachts. This powerful blue water yacht was built to very high and demanding standards. The mahogany interior was beautifully custom finished with classic detailing for her current owners. “Sarai” is a very special yacht and worthy of your attention.
The genetics and abilities of the Southerly 57RST are impressive! This sleek, stunning and powerful blue water yacht is designed and built to take you anywhere. For over 36 years and more than 1,100 Southerly's the Southerly swing keel has been the leader in design and engineering. The weight of the grounding plate and of the keel improves the righting moment, the safety, the stability and the performance of the yacht.
The Swing Keel system gives this yacht a capability not enjoyed by other yachts. There are many advantages to this swing keel and the fact that the keel completely retracts inside the hull. When all the way down the foil shaped keel delivers a deep 10' 9" draft and the upwind pointing ability of many racing yachts. At the touch of a button the keel can be raised at any time to any depth from 10' 9" to an amazing 3' 6". When all the way up this yacht is designed and built so she can even sit on the bottom when the tide goes out!
Sarai has all the features & amenities you would expect for a yacht of this stature such as:
All primary functions are powered: power furlers, power winches
With a furling main and self tacking jib, sail handling could not be made easier
Double head sail rig - For light or downwind sailing you can quickly power up with the overlapping Genoa.
Bow & stern thrusters make docking real simple
Twin helms with duplicate instrumentation and engine control
Wonderful large cockpit for lounging and entertaining complete with refrigeration.
Hydraulic transom door gives access to a large storage area and becomes an ideal swim platform
Raised salon with panoramic views and many overhead hatches for light and ventilation
A chefs kitchen with full size refrigerator, freezer drawers and pull out pantry
Spacious master stateroom with settee
2 guest staterooms and much more…
Sarai had a major refit in 2014/15 at the Rybovich Boat Yard in Florida. Call for details.
Please contact us to make an appointment to see this very fine yacht!
S&J Yachts have been the U.S. Dealers for Southerly Yachts for 8 years. We know these yachts well. For more information on Southerly Yachts and on our company visit our website www.SJYACHTS.com .
I am available on my cell phone 410 971-1071 to answer any questions you may have or if you wish to schedule an appointment. Jack Malatich
Please contact Sharon and Jack Malatich at (410) 971-1071
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Builder: Northshore Yachts
Designer: Dubois Naval Architects
Flag of Registry: United States
Hull Shape: Monohull
LOA: 58 ft 2 in
Beam: 17 ft 1 in
LWL: 52 ft 6 in
Minimum Draft: 3 ft 6 in
Maximum Draft: 10 ft 9 in
Displacement: 58755 lbs Dry Load
Ballast: 18409 lbs
Total Power: 140 HP
Engine Brand: VW TDI
Engine Model: B140-5BW
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 711
Engine Power: 140 HP
Fresh Water Tanks: (228 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: (309 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: (105 Gallons)
SOUTHERLY 57 SAIL MAGAZINE BEST BOAT WINNER 2011
In 2011 SAIL Magazine awarded the Southerly 57 as the Best Boat Winner for flagship monohulls. Following is an excerpt from their announcement.
"One day you might be power-reaching across an ocean, logging double-digit speeds under a massive A-sail set on a retracting bowsprit. On another day you may be tacking effortlessly up a narrow channel, putting the helm over and watching the self-tacking jib slam across its track, enjoying the windward bite and responsive steering of a deep-drafted performance cruiser. Or you may have nosed up to a beach, the boat sitting upright on the hard sand as the tide recedes, your children playing in the shadow of the sleek hull.
If you own a Southerly 57RS all this and more is possible, which is why we had no hesitation in singling this boat out from a strong group of contenders. Designed by Ed Dubois and built in Britain by Northshore Yachts, the 57RS is the flagship of a line of strong, seaworthy and well-crafted variable-draft sailboats. It is a bluewater-capable cruiser with a difference."
Rhoades Young was commissioned to work alongside Southerly's in-house design team to create a seamless interior - very careful space planning, extended diagonal sight lines and views beyond the cabin boundaries create an illusion of space which leaves the interior feeling light and airy. The overriding impression is of light and space, with connection between inside and out through extensive windows both the sides and forward, affording commanding views when relaxing in the raised salon. Numerous opening hatches provide cross ventilation.
"Sarai" has striking Mahogany joinery, with a classic styling, giving a very rich feel to the interior. The tan ultraleather upholstery enhances the warm feel of the interior. The 3 cabin layout boasts a supremely spacious aft master stateroom. A large forward guest stateroom and mid-ships cabin provides excellent accommodations for guest and crew.
The large expansive salon is raised so that you have panoramic views while dining or while you are sailing. On the portside is a large seating area with an elegant dining table. The inboard side of the solid base has a sliding door that opens to a storage area for bottles.To starboard there are two comfortable chairs that are also raised with a cocktail table in between. The top of this table lifts open to a convenient storage space. Below this is a drawer for additional storage.
Forward of the 2 seats on the stbd side is a custom entertainment cabinet with a hidden 32" flat screen TV that lifts up.
Overhead there are many opening hatches and a center skylight providing a view of sails and the evening stars. The forward facing and side windows give the salon a very light and open feeling. All the windows have concertina blinds. The blinds on the three forward windows are remotely controlled.
Just aft of the salon seating, on the port side is a proper forward facing navigation station. More on this in the "Nav" section.
Forward and to port of the main salon is the galley. The forward salon seating has an open backseat into the dining area so the cook never feels separate of the guests. More details on this in the "Galley" section below.
Just across from the galley, on the stbd side, is a seating area with a desk, storage and a cabinet for glassware. The galley and the Nook combine to make a second gathering area separate yet adjoining the salon.
The large owner’s stateroom is aft of the salon and entered from the starboard side. There is a centerline queen berth with a night stand on either side. To port there is a full size settee with back cushions. Good headroom is found throughout the cabin. The feeling of space in the owner’s cabin is enhanced by viewing ports to starboard and to port. There are also several opening ports and a large overhead hatch over the berth. There are many storage cabinets, shelving, hanging lockers and drawers. Just forward of the settee is a vanity with mirror and seating. Opposite the berth is a flat screen TV.
There is an ensuite head with Corian counters and a large separate shower with a teak seat. An elegant stainless and glass shower door separates the shower from the head. There is excellent storage and light in the head. Inside the shower is a washer/dryer and also a wet locker.
Guest Cabin 1
The larger of the two guest cabins is forward and has a centerline berth and seating on either side. There are viewing ports to port and to stbd as well as a large hatch overhead. For entertainment there is a flat screen TV w/DVD mounted on the aft bulkhead. There is a hanging locker, 2 large drawers under the berth and some cabinets for storage. A private entrance into the guest head is aft and to port. This is a very comfortable cabin for guests.
Guest Cabin 2
Forward of the nook and to starboard is the second guest or captain’s cabin. This is a nice sized cabin with full sized over and under single berths and a seat. There is drawer and hanging storage and proper room to move about.
Forward of the galley and across from the 2nd guest cabin is the entrance to the forward head. This head is shared with the forward cabin. Corian counters, mirrored cabinet doors and a separate shower with an elegant stainless and glass door are just some of her features.
Following are some of Sarai's interior features and equipment:
- 4 zone Reverse cycle air conditioning 40,000 BTU
- Domestic induct air purification system connected to the salon & to the master cabin A/C units
- Hot air heating system with 6 outlets (1 to each cabin, salon, wet locker)
- Concertina blinds fitted in raised coach roof area
- Remote control operation of front window blinds
- White blinds to hull ports
- Roller shade/screens to all hatches
- Teak & Holly flooring
- LED Interior lighting
- 32" Sony 1080 HD TV with TV lift with TV lift in custom entertainment cabinet stbd side salon
- 32" Sony 1080 HD TV flush mounted in master stateroom
- 22" Sony HD TV in fwd guest stateroom
- Direct TV integrated w/entertainment system (New 2014)
- Blu-Ray DVD player built into joinery connected to each TV unit
- Dual zoned sound system for salon & cockpit (4 speakers in salon, 2 speakers in cockpit)
- Upgrade all mattresses to Naturalmat Airflow cushioned mattress
- Tecma electric toilet, dual flush fresh & salt water supply to both heads
- Holding tanks
- Extractor fan/blower w/2 way switch in both heads
- Splendide Washer/Dryer vented
- 4 lee cloths (midship cabin berths, aft cabin, salon portside)
- Hella 24V fans (6)
- Dockside city water connection
The large galley is forward of the salon in a lower position for comfort at sea. It includes all the appliances and fixtures one would expect on a yacht of this caliber with large surfaces and a well considered layout.
As you will see in some of the pictures, there is an abundance of storage lockers and cupboards. In addition, there is a large pull out pantry with numerous shelves for storage. This is conveniently located just forward of the nook, opposite of the galley.
The galley has a large working area, yet is shaped to provide safety. The partially open back to the salon seating allows the chef to still partake with his or her guests.
More details follows:
- Front loading stainless steel refrigerator
- Front loading freezer; 2 large drawer units (New compressor 2014)
- Keel cooled refrigeration/freezer units
- Bosch convection microwave oven
- 4 burner stove w/oven
- Integrated extractor unit over stove, ducted to exterior
- Kenmore trash compactor
- Large slide out pantry with shelves
- 2 SS sinks with fitted chopping board
- Aquafilta water filter
- LPG gas & carbon monoxide detector
NAV & EQUIPMENT
The nav area is conveniently situated at the base of the companionway on the port side. There is a large comfortable bench seat which faces forward. A large nav desk opens with storage below. More storage outboard along with a viewing port to see outside.
- All new Raymarine instruments in 2015
- Port & stbd electronics, thruster and engine controls duplicated at both helms
- Raymarine E125 hybrid touch chart plotters -3 (nav and both helms)
- Raymarine multi function displays & control - 5 (nav, both helms, either side of companionway)
- AIS 650 class B transceiver (New 2015)
- VGA output with splitter to TV displays in aft cabin & salon from E series plotter
- Raystar 130 GPS receiver
- HD radar scanner
- Raymarine autopilot - controls at nav and both helms
- Ray218 VHF radio w/ 2nd station at port helm
- External VHF speaker
- Wind/speed/direction indicators at both helms
- Raymarine FLIR M-625XP thermal camera fitted on mast & networked to all E series plotters (New 2015)
- Scanstrut SC2-4 post fitted on aft deck for KVH antenna w/flood lights facing fore & aft
- Raymarine TV antenna
- Lopo LED nav lights
SAILS & RIGGING
The Southerly 57 is primarily designed for easy handling, and can be sailed by just 2 people. The tall powerful rig with swept back spreaders will keep the yacht sailing fast, with minimum effort. The double head sail is suitable for most wind conditions; the self-tacking jib allows you to sail easily on short tacks without any effort - ideal for coastal cruising. The overlapping genoa enhances upwind performance in light airs and together, the double headsail is perfect for downwind trade wind sailing.
- Mast pulled, inspected and completely rewired (2014)
- Selden Triple Spreader mast with a double headsail rig
- Painted spars: mast, boom & carbon spinnaker pole
- Selden powered in-mast furling mainsail w/partially battened sail
- Selden powered hydraulic outhaul drive in boom system
- Powered Genoa furling head stay, Furlex 300E
- Powered Jib furling inner stay, Furlex 400E
- Upgraded sails – North Dyneema SRP Mainsail, Jib and Genoa
- Storm jib w/wire stay w/lever for quick release & tensioning
- Lewmar 48 powered halyard winches port and starboard
- Lewmar 54 powered main sheet winch and jib sheet winch
- Lewmar 68 powered (2 speed) Genoa sheet winches
- Hydraulic boom vang, backstay w/manual pump & control panel
- Navtec quick release for boom vang
- Carbon spinnaker pole with vertical mast stowage
- Additional masthead halyard
ENGINE & ELECTRICAL
Sarai had a major refit in 2014/15.
- Volkswagen TD B140-5BW 140hp diesel (711 hours)
- Bow & stern thrusters (controls at both helms)
- Mastervolt Generator Whisper 10 Ultra 240v 9.4 kw 50Hz (85 hours)
- Mathers electronic gear controls at both helm stations
- Max prop & rope cutter (3 feathering blades)
- Duplex Racor fuel filter system
- 110 volt ring main
- AGM batteries - 11 - 900Ah Service, 330Ah domestic, 110 Ah engine, 20 Ah start (New 2015)
- EmpirBus system (Upgraded to latest version in 2014)
- Wiring replaced (2014/15)
- Mastervolt 110v / 220v 3.5Kw transformer
- Mastervolt combi inverter/charger unit 24/4000 120A
- Mastervolt combi inverter/charger unit 12/2500 100A
- Mastervolt easyview touch screen monitor
- Waterproof 110v safety socket fitted in cockpit table
- 2 - 12v 25amp sockets in cockpit (port helm and companionway)
- Both 30 amp & 50 amp shore power supply each w/50' power cable
KEEL, DECK & EQUIPMENT
The Southerly 57 hull is characterised by a long waterline, fine entry and beam carried aft to ensure the highest degree of performance, comfort, stability and safety. The beautifully sleek stylish lines of the raised pilot house coachroof exudes sophistication and elegance, normally only seen on much larger yachts. The large fold down transom door gives access to a large stowage area, ideal for a dinghy or diving equipment. When the door is lowered it makes a great bathing platform and provides good access for boarding.
The Swing Keel is an essential feature on a yacht of this size. While the deep draft of 10' 9" provides excellent windward performance, stability and good sail carrying capabilities, the extra depth is restrictive in marinas and around shorelines, etc. At the 'touch of a button' the keel can be raised to give a shallow draft of only 3' 6" - perfect for coastlines, low tides and those shallow waters that most all other sailboats cannot get into.
The aft cockpit is extremely spacious, yet secure with comfortable seating and a large cockpit table for entertaining guests in style. For convenience there is a refrigerated box in the table. A glass windscreen provides great visibility and extra protection from the elements. Covering the cockpit is a large bimini creating a real outdoor room.
The twin wheeled helming position allows the helmsman to enjoy the powerful performance of the yacht, with dedicated areas for sail controls and sailing short handed. Further seating aft allows for guests to relax in comfort, while enjoying all round views.
Additional features, equipment:
- Bow & Stern Thrusters
- Lewmar Windlass with gypsy and drum, deck and helm switches and chain counter
- Stainless Steel Windscreen with 6mm safety glass and center opening window
- 2 windscreen wipers w/integrated water jet spray
- Dodger attaches to windscreen
- Custom gateway folds down as boarding steps fitted to port & stbd side
- Custom pushpit extended fwd to next stanchion base
- Cooney electric SS davits w/remote ctrl
- Cockpit cushions with seat backs
- Large Teak cockpit table with folding leaves finished w/high gloss varnish. Well designed SS safety railing surrounds table top
- Isotherm ice box fitted into insulated cockpit table
- Low level LED cockpit lighting
- Cockpit down lighting and light fitted underside of boom
- Teak laid decking
- Single Pulpit seats with teak slats fitted port and starboard
- Double teak seats to pushpit (port & stbd)
- Hydraulic Transom door opens to large storage garage and swim platform
- Deck shower with hot & cold fitted in cockpit (Lazarette locker)
- Seawater & Freshwater deck wash pump in sail locker w/hose to run full length of deck
- Copper coating on hull and keel
- Flo coat inside of hull up to waterline
- Canvas covers for helm stations, cockpit table
- wheel rims covered w/ hide
- Upgraded cleats to Seasmart w/2 additional cleats midships
- 8 man Ocean canister life raft - mounted on stern pushpit
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
Other Boats from S&J Yachts
Annapolis, MD, United States
Annapolis, MD, United States
115 Mk IV
Enroute to Annapolis, Antigua & Barbuda