- View Full Specifications
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Annapolis, MD
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- US$ 438,000
- Not for sale to US residents while in US waters
Deep Draft PERFORMANCE … Shallow Draft FREEDOM!
There are very few yachts that open the oceans and anchorages of the world like a Southerly.
Built by NorthShore Yachts in England, there are over 1,100 Southerly Yachts sailing the oceans of the world for over 36 years. True blue water cruisers designed and built to deliver exhilarating offshore performance, unmatched directional stability and safety, while allowing you to anchor in places that even a catamaran is denied.
You can anchor or dock this Southerly 42 in only 2 feet 9 inches of water and if the tide goes all the way out, she will sit comfortably on her bottom until the tide returns. With a push of a button this variable draft yacht can lower her keel to an impressive 8 feet 11 inches and allow you to sail to weather at angles reserved only for racing yachts.
Designed by Rob Humphrey's, the Southerly 42RST is a very popular model.
SIMPLE ABUNDANCE is hull # 32. She has been well maintained and loved by her original owners. She is equipped for cruising and ready to fulfill her new owners dreams.
Some of her features and upgrades are as follows:
- Raised salon seating with panoramic views
- 2 cabin layout with 2 heads
- Push button control to adjust the depth of the keel
- Keel position gauge indicator at helm
- Bow thruster
- Power halyard winch
- Autopilot w/wireless remote
- Raymarine chartplotter
- Raymarine AIS500 transceiver
- Generator lightly used (88 hrs)
- Hot air heating system
- Washing machine
- New Dodger 2016
- New Bimini 2016
- Dodger and bimini w/side curtains and sun awning
- Solar Panels
- Zodiac 6 person liferaft
- Dinghy and outboard
"Simple Abundance" is currently in the Islands and will be heading soon to Annapolis, MD.
This is a preliminary listing. More details to come soon - or contact us now.
S&J Yachts have been the U.S. Dealers for Southerly Yachts for 8 years. We know these yachts well. For more information on Southerly Yachts and on our company visit our website www.SJYACHTS.com .
I am available on my cell phone 410 971-1071 to answer any questions you may have or if you wish to schedule an appointment. Jack Malatich
Please contact Sharon and Jack Malatich at (410) 971-1071
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Designer: Rob Humphreys
Flag of Registry: United States
LOA: 42 ft 2 in
Beam: 13 ft 3 in
LWL: 36 ft 5 in
Minimum Draft: 2 ft 9 in
Maximum Draft: 8 ft 11 in
Displacement: 23479 lbs
Ballast: 8091 lbs
Bridge Clearance: 61 ft 5 in
Total Power: 56 HP
Engine Brand: Yanmar
Engine Model: 4JH4-E
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 1200
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 56 HP
Fresh Water Tanks: (77 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: (89 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: (23 Gallons)
To Prepare her for her New Owners
The current owners have loved their boat but have now completed their sailing adventures. To prepare Simple Abundance for her new owners they offloaded her and had the following work done in July 2016.
- New bottom paint
- Swing keel, prepped, primed and painted
- Max prop serviced
- All exterior teak cleaned
- Hull, deck and stainless detailed and waxed
- Interior completely detailed including all lockers
- Upholstery steam cleaned
- Engine compartment detailed
Simple Abundance looks very good!
As in most Southerly models, this 42RST has large deck salon windows providing the raised salon and raised nav seating with panoramic views. These large windows as well as the numerous overhead hatches give you a wonderful feeling of light and of space. Partially reflective tinted glass gives privacy while also deflecting the sun's rays. 2 cabin layout and convertible salon provides sleeping accommodations for 6. Cherry interior joinery.
Easy companionway steps lead you to a bright open salon area. The large salon windows provide great visibility and allow you to see what is going on around you. The salon seating is raised allowing you to see outside while seated. This area is very comfortable either underway or when entertaining. The salon table folds to provide a smaller coffee table or expands for a large dining table. The table lowers and converts to a large double berth. Lots of storage is found under the seating and outboard in lockers. Lee cloths are on the port side. Concertina type blinds on the deck salon windows add privacy and provide shade when desired.
The chart table is to starboard and is in a raised position to take advantage of the panoramic views. For additional details see "Navigation and Electronics" below.
The galley is amidships to starboard in a lower position for greatest comfort at sea. For further details see "Galley" below.
There are 2 heads. One is located just forward of the galley and the other is ensuite to the master stateroom. A comfortable seat covers the head allowing you to sit when showering. The aft head has an extractor fan. With minimal wood in the head, it is easy to keep clean and maintain. Good storage is found under the sink and in outboard cupboards and lockers. Some additional features in the heads include: Jabsco head, large sink, shower, electric shower pump, hot and cold pressurized water with a mixer tap and a waste tank gauge.
The owner's spacious stateroom is aft with a large centerline berth and seating on either side. The berth is split to accommodate lee cloths. A very unique feature is the large area over the berth which opens to the cockpit and provides a nice open and airy feeling. Good light and ventilation is provided to this area which has 3 opening ports as well as 2 hull ports. Excellent lighting is provided by the reading lights and many overhead lights. Concertina blinds which are very easy to open/close or adjust to any point, cover the windows. There are ensuite facilities to a large private head. Good storage for your clothes is provided by a large hanging locker, outboard lockers and shelves and good deep storage under the berth.
The forward cabin has a long v-berth with a filler. Plenty of light and ventilation is provided by a large hatch overhead and hull ports. Curtains cover the ports for privacy. Aft of the berth to port is a locker with a washing machine. Convenient outboard shelves provide easy access storage. On the stbd side aft of the berth is a large hanging locker. In addition there is a tremendous amount of storage under the berth.
- Hot air heating system - 4 outlets
- Salon seating converts to double berth.
- Concertina blinds fitted in raised coachroof area.
- 1 roller shade/screen in forward cabin
- 3 roller shade/screens in salon/chart table.
- 2 lee cloths (salon port settee and master berth)
- 2 holding tanks for both the forward & aft head
- Extractor fan/blower fitted in aft head - solar vent in forward head
- Jensen stereo system with speakers
- SS security locking bar to companionway hatch
- Washing machine Eumenia Single Nova 110 HK
- Hella turbo fans (6)
- Toshiba 22" TV
- Watermaker 17Gal hr. Aquatec AC65
The linear galley is located on the starboard side amidships at a lower level. This location lessens the motion and provides more stability for the cook when at sea. There is a grab bar for additional safety. Lots of storage is found outboard in both enclosed lockers and open shelves. More storage is found under the sink. Opposite the galley is a locker for bottles.
- SS front loading Friga Boat Refrigerator/Freezer
- Top loading freezer, keel cooled
- 3 burner Stove w/oven
- Samsung Microwave/Grill
- 2 deep SS sink
- Freshwater foot pump
- SS grab bar
- Garbage bin
Navigation & Equipment
Nav area and seating is raised allowing excellent visibility through the deck salon windows. In foul weather you could even steer inside using the autopilot. The chart table opens for storage below. The main switch panel is conveniently located at the base of the nav table and is illuminated making it very easy to see at any time of day. Aft of the nav seating is a large hanging locker, convenient for your foul weather gear. Below the nav seat is all storage. Outboard is an enclosed storage compartment as well as a convenient open storage area.
- Raymarine E90W multi-function touch screen display aft end of cockpit table
- Raymarine 18” scanner
- Raystar 125 Satellite GPS antenna
- 15" LCD monitor with Raymarine Seatalk 2 keyboard at nav. Links with E series display on deck.
- Raymarine AIS500 receiver and transponder for collision avoidance
- Raymarine ST60 + Speed, depth and wind indicators above companionway
- Raymarine autopilot with Mamba drive, ST6002 + displays in cockpit and at chart table
- Raymarine Smart controller wireless remote for autopilot
- RAY218E VHF Radio with DSC function
- RayMic 2nd station hand mike for VHF radio in cockpit
- Icom Ic-802 short wave radio
- Pactor modem
- Clipper Easy- Navtex dual frequency receiver
- Insulated backstay for SSB
- Sea-me radar reflector (active transponder)
Sails & Rigging
The Southerly 42 boasts an impressive sail plan, for powerful windward performance. The Selden tall fractional rig with swept back double spreaders, combines a self tacking furling jib (for very easy sailing) and a large mainsail. Fully battened main with Stac Pac system, Selden MDS cars and lazy jacks allows the main sail to drop very quickly and easily! Single line reefing system with 3 reef points. All lines run back to the cockpit.
- Selden, twin spreader mast, single line reefing. Double headsail rig
- North fully battened dacron Main with Selden MDS cars
- North furling self tacking Jib
- North furling Genoa
- Parasailor downwind sail (156 SQM)
- Stac pac system for main
- Lazy jacks three part
- Lewmar 46AEST powered halyard winch
- Mamba steering system
- Pole with topping lift
- Vertical mast stowage for Gennaker pole
- 3 climbing steps on the mast
Engine & Electrical
Yanmar 56hp 4 cylinder, fresh water cooled, diesel engine. Extremely low hours. Good easy access to the engine.
- Mastervolt Whisper Generator: 240 volt 3.5 kw (88 hours)
- 240 Ring main
- Upgrade to 4 batteries Mastervolt Slimline (3 domestic and 1 engine)
- Mastervolt Mass Combi 12/2500w-100A inverter/charger
- 12 volt 10amp interior socket for low load applications, fitted at chart table
- Max-Prop (3 feathering blades)
- Rope cutter
- Racor fuel filters
- Mastervolt masterview easy battery monitor
- Isolation Transformer - 110-230 input - 230V output
- Solar Panels 2- 230 watt with charge controller
Hull and Deck Features
After 38 years and over 1,100 Southerly’s sailing the world, the Southerly swing keel is the leader in design and engineering. The weight of the grounding plate and the keel improves the righting moment, the safety, the stability and the performance of the yacht.
Hand laid up heavy duty GRP molding, incorporating multi-axial and unidirectional reinforcements for strength and impact resistance. The hull is cored above the water line for insulation and weight reduction and is solid glass below. Thickness increases progressively toward the keel area. The keel box is an integral part of the hull layup. There is a substantial skeg fitted on centerline to protect the propeller and rudders when the yacht is dried out.
The Swing Keel (this is not a centerboard) can be easily raised and lowered with just the push of a button and stopped anywhere in between. The push button control as well as a gauge to show the keel position is fitted at the pedestal. When lowered, the keel is an impressive 8' 11", considerably deeper than all other similar sized cruising yachts. The additional draft enhances both performance and stability. When raised, you now have an extremely shoal draft boat with a draft of only 2’ 9”. Just imagine where you can go!
Decks are two toned with a beige nonslip. Raised teak capped bulwarks provide extra comfort and safety. Forward is a stainless steel stem head fitting with twin bow rollers and a windlass. Deck Salon windows are partially reflective tinted glass which provides privacy while also deflecting the heat from the sun.
Large cockpit with comfortable seating is great for entertaining or while underway. The cockpit table has folding leaves, an inside storage area and a very safe and convenient handrail. Beneath the table are contoured footrests for comfort and security while heeling. The aft part of the cockpit is designed to give the helmsman the very best position to steer from. Foot wells for bracing, and comfortable seating both behind and outboard of each helm station offer safety at sea, while giving a clear view to the bow, while on either tack. With twin wheels, the cockpit is very easy to move around and also to access the transom with sugar scoop steps. Floors and seats are teak for safety. There is a very large and deep lazarette locker to starboard and another locker to port.
- Bow Thruster w/ control at helm
- Push button control to adjust the keel depth at helm
- Keel position gauge at helm
- Lewmar windlass w/additional control on pedestal
- Rockna 25KG anchor with 60m chain and rode
- Fortress FX23 anchor with chain & rode
- Dodger with hide covered grab bar. Additional grab bars on either side of dodger. (New 2016)
- Full bimini with side panels (Bimini New 2016)
- Sun awning
- Wheel rims covered with hide
- Cleverly designed teak cockpit table with SS grab rail for safety. Storage inside.
- Opening hatch in aft end of cockpit table
- Harness lifeline jackstays port & starboard
- Transom reinforced for future fit of davits
- Teak pad for outboard engine stowage
- Deck wash pump (in bow with hose)
- Deck shower with hot & cold water fitted on transom
- Telescopic boarding ladder
- Zodiac open sea 6 person life raft on stern rail (New 2014)
- Walker Bay 270 AF dinghy
- Mercury o/b 4HP 4-stroke
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
Other Boats from S&J Yachts
Annapolis, MD, United States
Annapolis, MD, United States
115 Mk IV
Annapolis, MD, United States
Charleston, SC, United States
Cruising to Pacific, Panama
Enroute to Annapolis, Antigua & Barbuda