THIS 2008 BUILD SHOULD NOT BE OVERLOOKED BY THE KNOWLEDGEABLE SAILOR LOOKING FOR A SERIOUS "GO -TO- SEA" BOAT. IF YOU HAVE ALREADY SAILED FAR AND WIDE - THEN THIS IS YOUR NEXT NO-NONSENSE BOAT.
VELA is a special boat, custom designed by Chuck Paine for an experienced sailor who wanted an aluminum offshore sailing vessel that would be easy to handle on extended passages, self sufficient and simple to maintain. The design brief called for speed under sail, a balanced helm and rock-solid security in rough conditions. While electric winches make life easier, all functions can be performed manually. Numerous small details enhance the sailing/living experience. The owner’s vision, the design talents of Chuck Paine and the craftsmanship at Kanter Yachts came together to create a truly wonderful cruising yacht.
For additional information please contact Annie Lannigan at (941) 374-3742 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Shore power inlet - Hubbell 61CM52 50 amp 125/250 volt
Inverter - Mastervolt Mass Sine Wave 24/2500
Electrical Circuit: 24V
Total Liferaft Capacity: 4
VELA has a two-stateroom layout. Cabin detailing is simple by design with quality-varnished Cherry joinery and contrasting white cabin trunk side and intermediate bulkhead surfaces resulting in a bright fresh interior. Cabin soles are Activa/Pirelli rubber tiles, a practical, durable and attractive alternative to varnished wood. Hanging lockers are lined with aromatic red cedar and ventilation comes from opening port lights, overhead opening hatches and six large dorade ventilators.
Owner’s cabin is aft and has a centerline queen with side access, night stands and lockers port and starboard. To port is a small desk with seating, to starboard is a hanging locker. Three pull-out compartments compliment the front of the berth, with copious storage behind them. Natural light and ventilation are provided in good measure from a large overhead hatch, opening cabin trunk ports, fixed hull ports and (2) dorade vents. LED overhead lights, reading lights, (2) fans and 110 AC outlets complete the cabin detailing.
The galley is to starboard, adjacent to the companionway. The counter faces, lockers and drawers are all constructed of clean varnished cherry. The galley is L-shaped with Corian countertops, functional fiddles and a forward-facing double sink. The gimbaled stove has a blue glass tile surround and great lighting. Aft of the stove is the refrigerator, followed by lockers outboard along the hull side. Storage is generous, and hatches and ports have been placed to provide excellent airflow and great natural light to the area. The galley is ideally located for cooking underway in a sea and for serving up sandwiches to those in the cockpit.
Galley Main Features:
• Full-sized double sink with Scandvik pull-out mono faucet
• Redundant water supply features two Whale Gusher foot pumps, one from bulk tanks and one from the plastic drinking tank • Activated charcoal water filter on cold water supply line • Detergent dispenser mounted at sink • Force 10 3-burner propane stove with oven; burners have safety thermocouples • Frigiboat front-opening refrigerator compartment with automatic light and dedicated, water-cooled compressor • Frigiboat top-loading freezer compartment with automatic light and dedicated, water-cooled compressor • Pull-out garbage bin is located for maximum convenience • Outboard lockers with dividers for cups, glasses, wine tumblers and plates
The main salon has settees port and starboard with a mast-mounted drop-leaf table between. The starboard settee is L-shaped and easily converts, transom berth style, to a wonderful sea berth, with the table support serving as a natural lee board. The cherry table has two storage compartments. Outboard are storage lockers, book shelves and two hull ports. Lighting is provided by dimmable LED lighting – bright (when needed) and energy efficient.
The forward guest cabin has a large double berth with large cherry-faced drawers beneath. There is a chest of drawers to starboard, running from cabin sole to deck, and a full-length hanging locker to port. Above the berth and along the hull deck joint are lockers, book shelves and fixed hull ports, port and starboard. The berth cushion is deep closed-cell foam, and the cabin has great natural ventilation with an overhead hatch and cabin trunk opening ports. There are overhead LED lights, reading lights, 110 VAC outlets and two fans.
The companionway steps match the cabin sole. They can be removed to access the top of the fuel tanks. There are handholds on either side of the steps. Immediately adjacent to the companionway is a tall chest of drawers with a bin on top for those items that should be close at hand when going on deck (flashlights, safety harnesses, small tools, sunscreen etc.). The wet locker is also here, so wet items may be stowed immediately upon going below.
The navigation station/desk is located to port, opposite the galley, and adjacent to the companionway. The desk is varnished cherry and was designed to accommodate a complete set of Admiralty Pilot charts. The nav desk top opens up like a school desk and from the side as well. The base houses three drawers down its side face.
VELA has one centrally located head amidship. The head is entered from the salon, to port, aft of the navigation station, and also from the aft cabin going forward. The location is ideal both from the standpoint of minimized motion at sea, as well as its proximity to the companionway. The forward portion of the head houses the toilet and sink console, while the aft portion is devoted to a pass-through stall shower.
Aft of the shower is a Splendide front-loading washing machine, additional storage and water maker manifold controls.
• Corian countertop with integral basin • Scandvik mono faucet • Medicine cabinet with extra storage • Lavac Zenith marine toilet with diverter valve • Scandvik shower rail system • Scandvik mono shower mixer • Corian topped shower seat for showering ease when underway
Designed to be extra quiet, the engine room is insulated with 2” Soundown vinyl/foam. All machinery, pumps and motors are mounted on vibration-absorbing mounts. One large access door and a removable galley panel provide excellent access to engine and components.
VELA’s cockpit prioritizes comfort, protection and visibility. It is a deep, offshore center cockpit with supportive high seatback coamings and a hard dodger. More than a simple spray dodger, VELA’s hard dodger/open pilothouse allows for comprehensive and easy navigation and provides excellent protection in inclement weather. Chuck Paine did a wonderful job of blending the dodger into the lines of the hull and deck, a rarity for boats of VELA’s size. No lines pass through the front of the dodger. This creates a large area of totally dry storage in front of the instrument pods, perfect for clothing, snacks and charts. The center of the windshield opens for ventilation, and there are convenient grab rails on the roof. Strong aluminum construction allows for standing on the dodger, a nice feature. The roof of the dodger supports (2) 130 watt solar panels, while LED lights, both red and white, illuminate below. The hinged companionway door features excellent offshore security, a safety glass window, and can be stored in a dedicated slot below the companionway stairs.
• Teak seats and cockpit table lend warmth to the cockpit.
• The cockpit sole has (3) levels. Aft, the helm is elevated 4” allowing even a short sailor excellent visibility over the hard dodger. Forward, a 2” lower recess with a raw teak grate keeps feet clean before entering the cabin
• Lewmar Enguard pedestal with Lewmar Commodore 42” flat polished 5-spoke wheel with elk hide cover • Engine instruments in cockpit are completely watertight • Whale gusher manual bilge pump is mounted in cockpit sole • (4) 2” diameter cockpit drains
Electronics and Navigation Equipment
• NEMA 200 networked system • Furuno NavNet 3D multifunction displays (MFD8) (2) – (1) at helm, (1) under dodger for convenience and redundancy • Furuno 4KW digital, mast-mounted radome (DRS4D) • Furuno FA-30 AIS receiver, displays on both MFD8s • Simrad AP-42 course computer with rudder feedback • Simrad AP-28 autopilot with oversized Lewmar ¾ hp motor drive. This is a completely integrated system, one of the strongest offshore autopilots • Maretron DSM-200 programmable displays (2) for depth, speed etc. • Maretron DSM-250 programmable, color display (1) for wind or other data • Maretron DSM-200 Tri-data repeaters at nav station and rear berth • Maretron DST 100 speed, depth, temperature sensor located on hull centerline forward • Maretron WSO-100 non-mechanical wind, weather sensor at masthead • Maretron SSC-200 gyro compass • Maretron GPS-100 GPS antennas, (2) for redundancy • Maretron USB-100 NEMA 2000 to USB adaptor allows a computer to interface with the system • ICOM M-504 VHF at nav station, with waterproof full-function Commandmic II in cockpit • ICOM M-802 SSB w/ antenna on insulated backstay • ICOM AT-140 auto antenna tuner • West Marine Medium Tri-Lens radar reflector, spar mounted • Electronic chart system • Ritchie 6” illuminated compass mounted on binnacle • VHF antenna at top of mast w/ wind direction indicator • Wema electrical gauges for tank levels
• Battery - Main engine start - (1) Lifeline AGM Group 31 • Battery - Electronics - (1) Lifeline AGM Group 31 • Battery - House service bank - (4) Lifeline AGM Group 4D • Battery Security - All batteries are secured for a 360 degree rollover. Hella battery isolator switches are positioned near each battery bank • DC battery charger - Mastervolt 24/12-20 for engine starting battery • AC battery charger - Mastervolt Mass 24/100 AC battery charger for house bank • Alternator - Primary - Mastervolt 150 amp, 24 VDC high output, mounted to main engine with double belt drive • Alternator - Engine start battery - standard Volvo supplied 12 VDC • Inverter - Mastervolt Mass Sine Wave 24/2500 • Isolation transformer - Mastervolt IVET-D 3.5 kva 16a multi-Tap • Battery monitoring system - Mastervolt BTM-III • Shore power inlet cable - Hubbell 61CM52 50 amp 125/250 volt • Solar panels - Kyocera 130 watt panels (2) • Solar controller - Outback MX-60 PV MPPT • Wind Generator - Southwest Air Breeze 24V • Shore power inlet receptacle - Hubbell 63CM74 chrome-plated brass, 50 amp • Main electrical panel - Bass backlit, digital, dimmable panel includes 24V DC circuits and 110 AC circuits • 110V AC circuits are fed by shore power or inverter • Second electronics panel - controls 12 VDC electronics, contains redundant battery monitors
• Model: D2-75 Volvo turbo diesel with 12 VDC starting and water-cooled exhaust • Aqua Drive thrust bearing for long engine life • Firemaster automatic Halon fire extinguisher • Racor Model 75/500 turbine series dual engine fuel filter w/ valve and pressure gauge • Vetus exhaust system with silencer • 1.5” shaft with Tides Marine Strong Sureseal System • VariProp feathering four-blade variable pitch propeller • Shaft Shark line cutter • Mamba steering system • Mamba auto pilot drive • Webasto 45,000 btu diesel boiler provides heat to (5) registers throughout boat and hot water to the hot water heater • Jabsco fresh water pump • Jabsco macerator pump fitted to holding tank • HRO Water maker 17-gallon/hr with fresh water flush, sea strainer and plankton filter • Atlantic T-10 10-gallon water heater, accepts input from Webasto heater/boiler, 110V AC power and engine heat exchanger
• (2) 24 VDC Rule bilge pumps, wired for float switch and manual operation (plus spare motor)
• (2) 24 VDC engine room extraction fans, mounted on rubber mounts, activate with engine use
Sails and Rigging
VELA is rigged for shorthanded, performance passagemaking with all controls leading to the cockpit. All blocks, cars and tracks are Harken. Furlers are Harken, except for Code Zero, which is a Facnor. Four sails cover a very wide range of wind conditions.
SAILS: • Fully battened, tri-radial, boom furling, laminated Carbon Cruise mainsail (560 ft.) with full telltales (Quantum) 2008 • Roller furling jib (560 ft.), 108% tri-radial laminated Carbon Cruise w/ UV resistant cover on leech & foot (Quantum) 2008 • Staysail (240 ft.), tri-radial laminated Carbon Cruise with removable Harken staysail furling and UV resistant cover on leech & foot (Quantum) 2008 • Code Zero (1,200 ft.), Large Quantum V3 housed on a Facnor continuous furler with a 2:1 halyard fitting
• Triple spreader tapered mast (Awlgrip) • Leisure furl offshore boom (Awlgrip) • Carbon fiber spinnaker pole • Rod rigging for low stretch performance • All serious running rigging is Warpspeed Dyneema for low stretch strength • Running backstays are rigged for heavy weather conditions • All control lines utilize Spinlock clutches for safe, secure line control • Extra halyards fore and aft • Hydrovane self steering gear is custom mounted on transom and can steer VELA without using electricity. A great backup to the autopilot. Doubles as a great sailing instructor – balance is everything.
• Hull is Oyster White Awlgrip finish with a double Blue boot stripe and Blue antifouling E-paint bottom • Cabin house and aluminum deck are finished with White Awlgrip and non-skid texture • Forward and aft watertight bulkheads • Innovative Paine designed, angled, skeg hung, foil shaped, rudder puts prop in an aperture, decreasing entanglements • Sugar scoop stern with aluminum handrails • Open transom steps • Transom mounted Whale Swim and Rinse hot and cold shower • Every effort was made to minimize through-deck fittings
VELA is built to CE standards (European Community Yacht Construction Directive) and has passed CE inspection for offshore sailing yachts.
The large, watertight forepeak is accessed through a deck hatch and has space for anchor rodes, fenders, the code zero and docking lines. The …” plate floor welded watertight in the forepeak area creates a crash tank.
Deck and Deck Equipment:
• Decks are built entirely of marine-grade aluminum. Deck is welded to hull, eliminating potential for leakage • No wood on deck for minimal maintenance • Lighthouse 3501 windlass, has chain gypsy to starboard, capstan to port. Controls at bow and helm. • Rocna 88 lb. galvanized anchor (self-stowing in aluminum bow fitting) with 200‘ of 3/8” Grade 4 chain and 200’ ¾” nylon rode • Danforth #4000 spare anchor (stores in lazarette) • (4) 40 ft. and (2) 65 ft. 5/8” polyester braided dock lines • (6) AERE fenders • Bow pulpit, stern pushpit • Lifelines - Amsteel blue spectra. 34” high, 1-…” stanchions, double lifelines with gates port and starboard • Pushpit with gate and integrated wind generator pole/dinghy crane • (2) Kyocera 130 watt solar panels fitted atop dodger roof, with Outback Power MX-60 controller • Southwest Air Breeze 24vdc wind generator mounted at top of stern pole • (6) Dorades with screw-in security covers • (8) Bomar deck hatches (fwd deck, aft of spar, alongside dodger, rear cabin), all with flush-mounted sliding insect and sun screens. These hatches have cast bases allowing attachment by welding, eliminating through-deck fittings. • (7) Flush transom and deck hatches, watertight and lockable (windsurfer locker, gas locker, lazarette, forepeak) with gas support struts. These deck-accessed lockers allow all “salty” gear (outboard, gas tanks, fishing gear…) to be stowed securely below deck without infringing on cabin space or cleanliness.
• Jabsco salt water wash-down system with outlets at bow and stern • Spreader lights, navigation lights, steaming light, stern light, tri-color anchor light, stern pole work light • (2) 20 lb. vertical aluminum propane tanks with pressure gauge, electric safety solenoid switch, manual tank selector valve and tie downs • (6) Flush zinc anodes on hull and rudder • (9) Oversized, aluminum, deck cleats, in line with the bulwark can accept multiple docking lines • Swim and boarding platform painted with non-skid surface • Stainless steel boarding ladder fits in sugar scoop stern • Aft deck aluminum handrails • Specialized tools for all specialized equipment on board • Spare parts inventory
• AB aluminum-bottomed rib is durable and dry • Tohatsu 9.9 hp four-stroke outboard • The dinghy stores upright, athwartships, behind the rear cabin top on (2) aluminum cradles when at sea. These cradles store easily and leave no protruding hardware. (4) Tie-down points facilitate quick and secure attachment of dinghy. • The outboard stores on a secure bracket in the port lazarette. • Both dinghy and outboard are easily hoisted on board with a custom crane assisted by a small Andersen winch • No other boat this size stores its dinghy as easily and securely as VELA.
Safety Gear and Fire Equipment
• Life raft - Viking RescYou 4, ISAF approved life raft is safely and securely stowed in a custom cradle on the pushpit • EPIRB - ACR Global Fix 406 • Switlik MOM-8A Man Overboard Unit, mounted on pushpit • Fireboy FD-1 flame and temperature alarm, located in engine room • Xintex “sniffer” propane alarm with cabin sensor • 1.4kg hand held dry chemical fire extinguisher in each compartment • High bilge water alarm • Emergency tiller • Flares • (2) Manual bilge pumps, one in cabin, one in cockpit
• Barometer - Bulkhead mounted • Ship’s clock - Bulkhead mounted • I2 Systems warm white LED lights with dimmers • Surface-mounted locker lights • Bullet-style reading lights: (2) each in master cabin, guest cabin, salon • Waterproof red/white light fixtures (pilothouse ceiling) • Fluorescent light (engine compartment) • Gooseneck red/white chart light at Nav station • Many spares for engine, plumbing repair fittings, spare pumps etc.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.