- View Full Specifications
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Twin / diesel
- Located In:
- Antigua & Barbuda
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- US$ 3,950,000
- Not for sale to US residents while in US waters
PRICE JUST REDUCED!
ORION is a marvel to behold, unique in every respect and represents thousands and thousands of hours of design and construction technique from the pre-eminent catamaran builder in the world. She is unquestionably the finest Catana ever built and very likely the finest catamaran of her size ever built.
Unlike so many custom catamaran projects, cooked up by men with big dreams, big budgets, but little experience, Orion was built for a seasoned seaman who owned two previous catamarans, including a Catana 582 he sailed around the world. He knew what it was like to live on a cat, voyage on a cat, care for a cat, and sail a cat through massive seas and winds. He set out, in partnership with Christophe Barreau, the famed naval architect for Catana, to create his dream boat. It took thousands of hours to design Orion and many more thousands to build her.
After the completion of the build and use by the original owner Orion was subsequently purchased by another accomplished yachtsman who has multiple Atlantic crossings on his own 60' catamaran.
Since the purchase in 2012 Orion has been crewed by the talented Scott Fratcher and Allison Thompson who have over 250,000 sea miles each. Scott Fratcher, (a licensed marine engineer/Yachtmaster Ocean) and Allison Thompson (Yachtmaster Ocean/Holistic grommet chef) are no strangers to multihulls. They each worked five years in Alaska on a 104ft power cat, spent two years as management and crew of Mariah, a Catana 582 in South Pacific charter and were critical members of Team Earthrace, the multihull that currently holds the Round The World Speedboat Record. Scott Fratcher and Allison Thompson completed the commissioning of Orion and have since sailed her over 20,000 miles taking her from Spain through the Canarias, & Cape Verde Islands, as far South as Trinidad, North through Main, New York Harbor, almost every Caribbean Island, and many other stops along the Atlantic seaboard.
Orion is now a tried and true blue water luxury cat. The crew sails her conservatively and average about 250 miles a day during her many ocean passages. Her best one day run to date is 310 miles. She will sail easily in the high teens while in protected waters, and the crew throttles her back to 12-15K while ocean sailing.
The current long term crew are willing to stay with the vessel or happy to provide a detailed turn over to new crew or owners. The current crew are also willing to make up a full video explanation of each yacht system so future crews or owners can benefit from the experience of the current crew.
Orion has been in light charter for two years in the Caribbean and is US Imported and thus able to charter in US waters. Orion comes as working charter boat that could help offset expenses when not in owner’s use.Orion is currently registered with a Jamaican flag and a US Cruising permit as a Private charter vessel able to complete up to 91 charter days per year.
Orion was built to BV survey and is currently in good standing with BV with all inspections current.
Phil Berman was in France to personally inspect Orion and met with her build captain who lived in Canet (near the Catana factory) during the construction of the yacht to oversee every aspect of her build. What is most striking when you first approach Orion is that she looks almost identical to smaller Barreau designed Catana 65's and 50's, but sits off the water so high that, yes, she has two floors in her tall hulls - a first in catamarans.
This has two unique advantages. First, all of the technical equipment is under the floor, out in the open where the crew can simply walk up to the pumps, water maker, etc... making maintenance a breeze. Second, all of the above floor space is open and used simply for the crew and guests. There is not one cupboard filled with an air conditioning unit or any other equipment. Instead, all of the cabin space is for guests and the technical equipment is below the floor. The crew reports that this has worked out wonderfully and cannot imagine going back to a standard catamaran.
The bridge deck of the yacht hosts a massive salon and galley. The enormous hulls contain owners cabins, guest cabins, and crew quarters, while the lower floor of the yacht is devoted entirely to systems - watermakers, generators, inverters, wiring, plumbing, etc. Every system on the yacht is easily accessed for care and repair. She is the most carefully thought out large catamaran I have ever had the pleasure to inspect with regards to her systems. And of course, like all Catana's, she sports a massive carbon fibre mast high tech sails, dagger boards, etc. Orion was designed to fit under most “ship bridges” With an airdraft of 126ft off the water Orion even fits under the 127ft Brooklin Bridge. Fact is, you could not possibly "upgrade" Orion in a single area because not a penny was spared during her fabrication.
For the most part, catamarans of this size are male-molded products, not female molded, for the simple reason that tooling up female moulds for a yacht of this size is seldom done due to the enormous costs. Yet Orion is a female molded boat and looks as such. Her hulls are perfectly fare, gelcoated, and her decks are factory perfect molded non-skid. If you walk onto Orion she looks like a production yacht in terms of fit a finish - no sprayed on paint, no sprayed on non-skid, etc. And her furniture is cabinet grade in every respect.
Orion sails flawlessly and has been fully debugged by the Catana team in France and the current highly experienced professional sailing crew. Please view our extensive list of pictures and U-Tube posted video, or do a Youtube channel search for “Yachtwork” and view the crew’s many videos of Orion under sail. The charter website for Orion is “CharterOrion.com” If you are a yacht broker or buyer and have any questions at all, or would like to arrange a showing of Orion, please contact Phillip Berman at The Multihull Company. Orion is proudly and exclusively listed by The Multihull Company. She is a very special yacht for a special catamaran sailor.
Contact - Phillip Berman
The Multihull Company Philadelphia Office
Please contact Phillip Berman at 215-508-2704
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Designer: Christophe BARREAU & Frederic NEUMAN
LOA: 87 ft 0 in
Beam: 38 ft 1 in
LWL: 86 ft 3 in
Total Power: 420 HP
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 2600
Engine Power: 210 HP
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 2600
Engine Power: 210 HP
Fuel Tanks: (1026 Gallons)
Max Draft: 1.7 m // 4.7 m
- Sails by North Sails
- 265 m² Spectra Carbon Full Batten Mainsail
- 60 m² Stay Sail Spectra Carbon
- 160 m² Spectra Carbon Yankee
- 304 m² Code 5 Gennaker on Bowsprit
- 17 sq m Storm Jib in Cuben Fibre
- Carbon fiber mast without spreaders
- Steps up to the boom
- Deck projector and navigation lights
- Radar and antenna support
- Mainsail Harken split car batt-car system
- Canoe boom in carbon fiber
- Compression beam/front beam in carbon fiber
- Bowsprit in carbon fiber
- Yankee forestay in stainless steel rod
- Staysail forestay in stainless steel rod
- 2 cap shrouds and 2 inner-shrouds in kevlar
- Sail lights on the bimini and in mast
- Hailer unit for ICOM radio fog horn system
- Furuno LH 3000 hailer and auto/manual fog horn system
- Mobile hydraulic Rigging cutter
- Hydraulic furling gear by RECKMAN on Yankee
- Manual Facnor furler on Solent
- Facnor FX1200 furler for Code 5.
- Facnor FX1200 furler for storm sail.
- Mainsail canvas sail cover on boom
- Set of adjustable lazy-jacks
- Reefing system for the Mainsail controlled from the cockpit
- All the halyards and reefing lines are in SPECTRA
- Sheets in polyester, double braid
- Spare set of main sail battens stored on the boom pocket
- Hydraulic Cariboni system for the main sail sheet controlled from both helm station
- Vang/preventer system controlled from the cockpit
- Primary winches: 2 x Harken 1111ST 3 speed hydraulic.
- Cockpit reefing and main halyard winches: 2 x Harken 980.3 ST hydraulic
- Main sheet traveler winches: 2 x Harken 70.2 ST hydraulic
- Mast halyard winch: 1 x Harken 980.3 ST manual
- Dagger board winches: 2 x Harken 70.2 ST hydraulic
- Main sail halyard winch remote control at both helm stations
- Hydraulics and Power Pack by Tenderlift including independent isolation valves. Operated from the 24 Volt system or P.T.O pump (Power Take Off) connected to Starboard generator.
- 2 tracks on mast for easy Yankee and Solent halyard tension and stowage.
- 60 mm Main Sheet traveller track on aft beam with Harken ball bearing double car system
- 2 high comfort woven dynema trampolines, attached mesh by mesh
- 2 forward Swedish pulpits with seats
- Large reinforced deck cleats
- One 1000 L/H pressurized sea water deck pump
- One 1000 L/H pressurized fresh water deck pump
- Fresh water deck wash directly connected to ships system, 3 x outlets
- Tender Nautica RIB 17 Widebody with 90hp Yamaha outboard engine with ski tow package
- MCA rescue boat equipment
- 2x cover for tender, one for storage and second operational cover with internal pockets
- Tender has a complete ski/wake board tow package
- Tender has a barefoot training bar for easy board training
- Avon Rover Air 280 Crew Tender
- Large sliding door + window as in CATANA 582
- Cockpit floor slatted with 8 mm thick Teak
- Cockpit cushions with comfort cell foam
- 2 reinforced aft pulpits
- Aft guardrail in stainless steel tubes fitted with fishing rod holders
- Extra rod holders on each side of vessel
- Bimini hard top made of sandwich structure
- Canvas removable cockpit enclosures
- Windscreen for the Bimini with fixed windows
- Built-in LED cockpit lights in Bimini with dimmer
- Large lockers in cockpit floor and under seats
- Padeyes in the bimini corners
- Full length foul weather dry locker with heater in cockpit
- 2 steering stations with 2 person seats with backrest
- Removable and adjustable sun canopy on each station.
- 2 magnetic compasses with protection covers and lighting
- Protection covers for electronic equipments
- Joy stick and foot switch controls for bow thruster at each helm.
- Variable pitch prop joy stick control and read outs at each helm.
- 2 Carbon fiber steering wheels
- Spectra mechanical steering system (She steers like a sports car-crew)
- 2 balanced spade rudders mounted with JP3 self-aligning bearings and seals
- Slatted with Teak
- Built-in stainless steel swim ladder, with Teak steps on each transom
- Carbon fiber gangway
- Cockpit shower with cold and hot water on both sides
- Salt water outlet on both sides
- Fresh water in and out lets on both sides
- 3 large cleats for securing boat on each transom
- Pair of carbon fiber davits
- 2 lifting lines for tender with stainless steel snap shackles on Harken blocks
- Antenna Arch and lights on davits for tender including transom step spot lights
- Securing system for tender
- Bridle on the compression beam
- One Hydraulic Muir HR 6000 windlass equipped with double gypsy’s and double devils claw chain securing system.
- Hand held remote control stowed in chain locker
- Control at starboard helm station
- 2 x 150 kg Manson stainless steel anchors fitted with 110m each of 14mm stud link galvanized chain
- 2 electrical Muir VC 3500 capstans mounted on the bows in concealed lockers, including one large and one small bollard cleat on each side
- 1x Lewmar V5 hydraulic windlass in aft beam with appropriate ground tackle for "through the deck" aft anchoring includes self-stowing Delta anchor
- All equipment under CATANA "2" series standards
- Furniture in light honeycomb core
- Moldings in solid wood
- All cabin bunks have slatted mattress bases
- Extra wide corridors & doors
- Hatches and port lights are equipped with mosquito screens and roller blinds
- Isothermal external roof curtains
- Extra wide steps with an easy rake - (good for people with limited mobility)
External Isothermal saloon window covers
Cushions in High Resilient thick foam covered in material of owner's choice
LED lightings with dimmer
Upper and lower red courtesy lights
Storage for DVDs
Wine storage lockable
Ergonomic seat by Treben in leather, fully electrically adjustable
Drawer for charts
Double sinks with adjustable faucets and hose extension
Counter sunk Corian work tops
Draintap for watermaker
Extractor hood and 5 burner propane gas hob by Gaggenau 900 mm electric oven by AEG
5 burner hob
Bar area in Cockpit
Fresh water sink and ice maker in bar area inside cockpit
180 x 200 Bed
2 independent slatted bases
Mattress fully sprung 180x200cm
Reading lights and pocket trays
Large sliding hanging lockers and lockers with shelves
1 s/s combination safe
- Saloon: Bose Life Style 48 5:1 surround sound system with CD, DVD and tuner
- 4 x Bose cockpit speakers
- Saloon: 48 “ flat screen Sharp Aqous TV.
- 2 spare speakers to be used on forward deck
- 3 cabins with 17 “ Sharp Aquos TV, JVC CD and DVD player with remote control and Bose speakers
- 25” Sharp Aquos TV and Bose 321 system in owner's cabin
- 2 cabins with 17” combination TV/DVD player
- OMNIMAX TV antenna in the mast, with amplifier
- 2 x 750 L Fresh Water tanks
- 2 independent pressurized freshwater pump systems by Gianneshi with accumulator tanks, interconnectable
- Charcoal filter system for each fresh water circuit
- Plumbing for drinkable water in rigid tubing
- 2 water heaters of 75 L, on AC current and engine and generator exchangers
- Webasto Thermo 90 ST hot water diesel heating system
- US approved black water holdings tanks: according to regulations, with gauges and sound alarm. Drains by macerator pumps (sea) or by deck drain holes. Vent filters by Sanigard
- Sealand VACU FLUSH depression WC
- Marine grade Faucets and mixers
- Grey water tanks: 2 x 400L with gauges and sound alarm. Discharge by Gulper 320 electric pump (sea) or by deck drain holes. Odour vents by Vetus
- Refrigeration by Frigoboat (dual 24 V and 220 V compressors) with external hull keel cooling system.
- 2 x large Frigomar drawers in galley and 2 x large Isotherm drawers in port hull next to freezer. 1x drawer for drinks in salon
- 400L of refrigeration capacity and 500 L freezer storage.
- Raritan marine Icemaker in cockpit
- Miele 5 kg washing machine
- Miele drying machine with hot air exhaust extraction
- Webasto 40,000 BTU Chiller System in each hull with independent air handlers in cabins
- Stb hull 25,000 BTU distributed through cabins
- Port hull 25,000 BTU distributed through cabins
- Saloon 2 x 24,000 BTU air handlers
- Master cabin: Ecofit 24000 BTU air handler
- Each air handler has it’s own control panel
- 2 x M215C hp Perkins in line 6 cylinder turbo engines using PRM 1000 gearboxes
- 2 x AMARTECH hydraulic variable pitch propeller systems including Axiseal water cooled shaft seals and Aqua drive couplers.
- Sound-proofed/fire insulated to LY2 standard engine rooms, mechanically ventilated
- 2 electrical engine control panels with sights and alarms Deluxe model
- Electrical control for the engines at each helm station. Controls by Seimi Micro Commander.
- Dual racor filtration filters on each engine.
- Maintenance free engine starting batteries
- Exhaust is standard wet type using HMI marine silencer water locks
2 x Independent Sea Recovery Aqua Matic SRC 1800-2 AMC with remote panels incorporating auto fresh water flush system Apx 65 gph each
- Maintenance free House batteries by Mastervolt 2500 AH / 24Volt system developed by 24 x 2 Volt gel cells
- 2 NORTHERN LIGHTS 26KW / 220V generator, with main control panel at Nav station and secondary controls in engine rooms
- Around the world 110V/220V capability - 110 V input gets transformed to 220 for charging batteries only
- 8 x solar panels on the bimini
- B&G Hydra 3000 system
- 1.4 M curved mast head wind speed and direction sensor
- 5 x H3000 GFD (Graphic Function Display) Location: Captain cabin, Master cabin, Nav station and one on each helm station
- 2 x 20/20 displays. Location: Interior bulkhead mounted above entrance door., includes separate push button control
- 2 x 30/30 displays, location: Exterior bulkhead mounted in cockpit, includes separate push button control.
- 4 x Analogue displays: 1 x wind direction at each helm station plus wind direction and wind speed at Nav station.
- Speed & depth sensors with SOV housing.
- 2 x independently installed B&G ACP2 auto pilot computer controls and 3 x pilot control heads. One at Nav station and one on each helm station.
- Halcyon gyro compass connected to one pilot and standard fluxgate compass connected to second pilot.
- 2 x independent auto pilot hydraulic power packs and rams manufactured by SAS Lecomble and Schmitt.
- 1 x Remote control
- 2 x 19" LCD VDS screen marine monitor at chart table.
- 2 x 15" LCD VDS marine monitor with trackball at helm station
- Furuno fish finder sounder module 600w transducer
- 2 x Marinized computers type BB-M03/BE with DVD RW, Windows XP Pro (Office pack installed) Intell Pentium
- M 745 @ 1.8 Ghz + 80 GB hard disk + 2 GB Ram
- Max Sea software
- Optima software
- WiFi & video splitters
- 1 x B&G Barometric pressure sensor
- 1 x GPS GMDSS GP 150
- 1 x GPS Furuno GP32 Installed + antenna
- 1 x AIS GMDSS Furuno FA 150-24v
- 1 x Furuno Radar Navnet VX2 1824C and software.
- Furuno Fax 30 with active antenna
- GSM/GPRS terminal 2G LR Easygate RT3000 triband with antenna
- GMDSS Sailor VHF RT 5022 DSC Duplex 24v with 2 x antennas
- 2 x GMDSS Sailor SP 3300 portable VHF radios
- Class A GMDSS Sailor SSB Series 5000 MF/HF 150w with 2 antennas + telex
- GMDSS Inmarsat C T&T TT3020C with screen, keyboard and printer
- Thrane and Thrane Sailor 500 BGAN broadband system.
- Irridium SC4000 terminal installed and configured + antenna
- GMDSS Navtex NX 700P GMDSS
- Active Echo radar detector
- 2 x Sailor SART
- 1 x SGE II EPIRB with container + 2 x Kannad GPS EPIRB
- 1 x Barograph Vion A 4000
- 2 Raymarine 9" independent plotters. One at each helm.
- Furuno 30w LH 3000 with hailer SP 40 and foghorn
- Alarm Cobra with 1 ultrasonic detector + 2 x remote control
According to MCA regulations
- According to MCA regulations
- Complete safety pack (including 3 x Viking 8 man liferafts)
- Wave Finder MOB kit including 3 controls
- Set of warps and fenders:
- 12 x long blow up fenders
- 7 emergency "fisherman" A6 extra large storm fenders
- 2 x large round blow up
- 4 x square blow up
- 220V air pump for fenders
- Bauer Junior dive compressor in the cockpit locker, 220 V with S/S frame
- Antifouling 3 coats self eroding MICRON 66 as per manufacturer's specifications
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
Other Boats from The Multihull Company
Voyaging Carribean, St. Maarten/St. Martin
Unknown, WA, United States
Newport Beach, CA, United States
Unknown, St. Maarten/St. Martin