- View Full Specifications
LOWEST PRICE S42
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Cruising, FL
- Hull Material:
- Last Listed Price:
- US$ 299,000
Deep Draft PERFORMANCE … Shallow Draft FREEDOM!
There are very few yachts that open the oceans and anchorages of the world like a Southerly.
Built by NorthShore Yachts in England, Southerly Yachts have been sailing the oceans of the world for over 30 years. True blue water cruisers designed and built to deliver exhilarating offshore performance, unmatched directional stability and safety, while allowing you to anchor in places that even a catamaran is denied.
You can anchor or dock this Southerly 42 in only 2 feet 9 inches of water and if the tide goes all the way out, she will sit comfortably on her bottom until the tide returns. With a push of a button this variable draft yacht can lower her keel to an impressive 8 feet 11 inches and allow you to sail to weather at angles reserved only for racing yachts.
Prior to crossing the Atlantic, “Dawn Chorus” underwent a £35,000 refit at Northshore Shipyard in 2015. (Full details available.) Following that, her owners sailed her across the Atlantic to the Caribbean, then on to Bermuda and from there to the Chesapeake Bay. As stated by her owner “When I look back over our adventure aboard Dawn Chorus, I feel there are very few boats that could have ticked all the boxes in the way the Southerly 42 did.” Read the complete comments from the owner in the full listing.
Some of her features and recent upgrades are as follows:
- Hull waxed, bottom painted and interior detailed (New Oct. 2016)
- 3 cabin layout
- Teak decks
- Self-tacker and an electric winch for easy sailing
- Gennaker (New 2011) and Code Zero (New 2015)
- Bow thruster
- Rutland Wind Generator (New 2015)
- Solar panels
- Hydrovane wind steering system (New 2015)
- Auto pilot w/wireless remote
- Liferaft, dinghy and outboard
- See the full listing for more details
Please contact us for additional information and to arrange inspection of this exceptional cruising yacht.
S&J Yachts have been the U.S. Dealers for Southerly Yachts for 8 years. We know these yachts well. For more information on Southerly Yachts and on our company visit our website www.SJYACHTS.com .
I am available on my cell phone 410 971-1071 to answer any questions you may have or if you wish to schedule an appointment. Jack Malatich
Please contact Sharon and Jack Malatich at (410) 971-1071
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Designer: Rob Humphreys
Flag of Registry: United States
LOA: 42 ft 2 in
Beam: 13 ft 3 in
LWL: 36 ft 5 in
Minimum Draft: 2 ft 9 in
Maximum Draft: 8 ft 11 in
Displacement: 23479 lbs
Ballast: 8091 lbs
Bridge Clearance: 61 ft 5 in
Total Power: 56 HP
Engine Brand: Yanmar
Engine Model: 4JH4AE
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 1750
Engine Power: 56 HP
Fresh Water Tanks: (95 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: (89 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: (23 Gallons)
"When I look back over our adventure aboard Dawn Chorus, I feel there are very few boats that could have ticked all the boxes in the way the Southerly 42 did. We sailed double handed for most of the time so the self-tacking jib and electric winch for the large mainsail made her easy to handle, and having the option to fully deploy the 9ft keel meant she was rock steady during ocean passages. But the boat really came into her own when we were in the shallow waters of the Caribbean, the Intracoastal Waterway and the Chesapeake, where the lifting keel allowed us to reduce our draft to 3ft and glide right up to beautiful sandy beaches and swim ashore, or creep into still creeks where the only sounds were birdsong and jumping fish. Even in New York, the freedom to nudge our way into areas designed for shallow draft boats meant we could anchor in Great Kills harbor on Statton Island or berth right up the Hudson River on the Upper West Side and walk to Central Park. The generous cockpit size, multiple berths and twin heads meant we could comfortably accommodate extra crew, family and friends whenever we liked, but it was wonderful to know that we could manage so easily by ourselves."
Easy companionway steps lead you to a large open salon area. The deck salon windows provide panoramic views and give you an instant feeling of space. Partially reflective tinted glass gives privacy while also deflecting the sun's rays. Concertina blinds cover the deck salon windows for additional shade and privacy. With 3 cabins, you can sleep 8 people very comfortably. Cherry interior joinery. Teak and holly floors.
The large raised salon is very spacious and has generous seating for 6-8 people. The salon table folds to provide a smaller coffee table or expands for a large dining table. The large salon windows provide great visibility and allow you to see what is going on around you. This area is very comfortable either underway or when entertaining.
With just the push of a button, the table lowers and converts the seating area to a large double berth. Lots of storage is found under the seating and outboard in lockers.
The chart table is to starboard and is in a raised position to take advantage of the panoramic views. For additional details see "Navigation and Electronics" below.
The galley is amidships to starboard in a lower position for greatest comfort at sea. For further details see "Galley" below.
There are 2 heads. One is located just forward of the galley and the other is ensuite to the master stateroom. A comfortable seat covers the head allowing you to sit when showering. Both heads have an extractor fan. With minimal wood in the head, it is easy to keep clean and maintain. Good storage is found under the sink and in outboard cupboards and lockers. Some additional features in the heads include: Jabsco head, large sink, shower, electric shower pump, hot and cold pressurized water with a mixer tap and a waste tank gauge.
The owner's spacious stateroom is aft with a large centerline berth and seating on either side. The berth is split for lee cloths. A very unique feature is the large area over the berth which opens to the cockpit and provides a nice open and airy feeling. Good light and ventilation is provided to this area which has 2 opening ports as well as 2 hull ports. Excellent lighting is provided by the reading lights and many overhead lights. Concertina blinds which are very easy to open/close or adjust to any point, cover the windows. There are ensuite facilities to a large private head. Good storage for your clothes is provided by a large hanging locker, outboard lockers and shelves.
The forward cabin has a long v-berth with a filler. There is an additional third berth over the starboard side which can also be used for additional easy access storage. Plenty of light and ventilation is provided by a large hatch overhead and hull ports. To port is a very large locker with shelves as well as a long outboard shelf. In addition, there is a tremendous amount of storage under the berth.
The third cabin is on the port side opposite the forward head. There are 2 good long berths; upper and lower. Good storage is found in the large hanging locker and under the lower berth. In addition there is a custom cabinet with 2 shelves for very convenient storage.
- Interior detailed including lockers and engine compartment (New Oct. 2016)
- Eberspacer heating system to all cabins
- Concertina blinds cover the large deck salon windows
- Stereo / CD system with auxillary & external speakers
- Push button control easily lowers salon table to make a large double berth
- Lee cloths
- Extractor fan/blower fitted in both heads with a 2 way switch
- Holding tank system with 2 holding tanks
- All new sanitation hoses (New Oct. 2016)
The linear galley is located on the starboard side amidships at a lower level. This location lessens the motion and provides more stability for the cook when at sea. There is a grab bar for additional safety. Lots of storage is found outbard in enclosed lockers and open shelves. More storage is found under the sink. Opposite the galley is a locker for bottles.
- SS front loading refrigerator/freezer
- Addtional refridgerator/freezer (Waco 12V) is located in third cabin
- 3 burner stove w/oven
- 2 deep SS sinks
- Saltwater foot pump
- SS grab bar
- Bottle locker inboard
NAV & EQUIPMENT
Nav area and seating is raised allowing excellent visibility through the deck salon windows. In foul weather you could even steer inside using the autopilot. The chart table opens for storage below.
The main switch panel is conveniently located inboard, at the base of the nav table and is illuminated making it very easy to see at any time of day.
Aft of the nav seating is a large hanging locker, convenient for your foul weather gear.
- Raymarine C90 radar chartplotter at nav
- Digital Yachts 3000 AIS transceiver. WiFi relays to smart phone and tablets (New 2015)
- Raymarine 18" Raydome RD12 (scanner)
- Raystar 125 satellite differential
- Raymarine autopilot w/displays at helm, at companionway and at nav
- Raymarine wireless remote autopilot controller
- Raymarine ST60 Speed/Depth/Wind/Autopilot above companionway with graphic display at helm
- Standard Horizon GX2000 VHF DSC radio w/AIS feed at Nav and hand mic in cockpit (New 2015)
- Epirb (New 2015)
- Iridium 9555 Satphone with Red Box firewall for email (New 2015)
- External aerial for Satphone (New 2015)
- Wirepro external Wifi booster with data Sim card option (New 2015)
- Echomax radar reflector (New 2015)
SAILS & RIGGING
The Southerly 42RST boasts an impressive sail plan for powerful windward performance. The Selden fractional rig with swept back double spreaders, combines a self tacking furling jib (for very easy sailing) and a large mainsail. Fully battened main with Stac Pac system, Selden MDS cars and lazy jacks allows the main sail to drop very quickly and easily! Single line reefing system with 3 reef points. All lines run back to the cockpit.
- Selden twin spreader mast
- North fully battened main w/Selden MDS cars and Stac Pac system
- Stac Pac (New Nov 2016)
- Main is triple reefed with reefing lines led back to cockpit
- Lazy jacks for main
- North Self tacking furling jib
- Code Zero headsail (New 2015)
- Gennaker (New 2011)
- Stainless steel bowsprit for Code Zero and Gennaker
- Facnor FX2500 continuous line furler for Code Zero and Gennaker (New 2011)
- Lewmar 46 electric winch on coachroof
- Selden spinnaker pole stows on mast (New 2015)
- Hyrdovane wind steering system (New 2015)
- Spare halyard
- 3 climbing steps on mast
ENGINE & ELECTRICAL
Yanmar 56hp 4 cylinder, fresh water cooled, diesel engine. Good easy access to the engine. Full standard 1,000 hour engine service completed in 2015.
- Bow Thruster w/ control at helm
- 3-blade feathering prop (New 2015)
- Rope cutter
- Rutland 944 wind generator & regulator (New 2015)
- 2 x 90 watt Solar panels on custom stern arch w/charge controller (New 2012)
- Mastervolt 80 amp battery charger
- 3 Rolls AGM S12 128 domestic batteries (New 2015)
- 2 Optimum AGM windlass / winch / bow thruster batteries (New 2011)
- 1 Engine battery
- Battery monitor
- 12 volt sockets at chart table (x2), companionway, master & fwd cabins
HULL, DECK & EQUIPMENT
Hand laid up heavy duty GRP molding, incorporating multi-axial and unidirectional reinforcements for strength and impact resistance. The hull is cored above the water line for insulation and weight reduction and is solid glass below. Thickness increases progressively toward the keel area. The keel box is an integral part of the hull layup. There is a substantial skeg fitted on centerline to protect the propeller and rudders when the yacht is dried out
The Swing Keel (this is not a centerboard) can be easily raised and lowered with just the push of a button and stopped anywhere in between. When lowered, the keel is an impressive 8 feet 11 inches, considerably deeper than all other similar sized cruising yachts. The additional draft enhances both performance and stability.
The push button control as well as a gauge to show the keel position is fitted at the pedestal.
Teak decks. Raised teak capped bulwarks provide extra comfort and safety. Forward is a stainless steel stem head fitting for the bow roller and an electric windlass. Deck Salon windows are partially reflective tinted glass which provides privacy while also deflecting the heat from the sun.
Large cockpit with comfortable seating is great for entertaining or while underway. The cockpit table has folding leaves, an inside storage area and a very convenient handrail. Beneath the table are contoured footrests for comfort and security while heeling.
The aft part of the cockpit is designed to give the helmsman the very best position to steer from. Foot wells for bracing, and comfortable seating both behind and outboard of each helm station offer safety at sea, while giving a clear view to the bow, while on either tack.
With twin wheels, the cockpit is very easy to move around and also to access the transom with sugar scoop steps. Floors and seats are teak for safety. There is a very large and deep lazarette locker to starboard and another locker to port.
Additional Features & Equipment:
- Hull waxed and bottom painted (New Oct 2016)
- Teak deck
- Electric windlass (Quick Hector 1500)
- Mantus 65 lb anchor w/ 300' of 10mm chain (New 2015)
- Mantus anchor bridle (New 2015)
- Brake 2nd anchor (similar to a Delta)
- Fortress kedge anchor
- Dodger w/handles and Bimini
- Teak cockpit table with SS handhold and storage inside (New 2011)
- Deck shower at transom w/hot cold water
- Pad for outboard on stern rail
- Telescopic boarding ladder
- Viking 6 person liferaft (Serviced until July 2018)
- Achilles hypalon dinghy 8' 6" (New 2013)
- Suzuki 2.5 hp 4-stroke outboard (New 2015)
- Switlik MOM8-A man overboard system (Serviced until July 2017)
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
Other Boats from S&J Yachts
Annapolis, MD, United States
Charleston, SC, United States
Annapolis, MD, United States
Enroute to Annapolis, Antigua & Barbuda
115 Mk IV