- View Full Specifications
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- £ 575,000 Tax Paid (US$ 703,570)
A recent Discovery 55 with go anywhere cutter rig and fully battened in mast mainsail (sails by North), originally built to meet MCA to Cat 2. She has been cruised extensively and is fully fitted to take you to any corner of the world. She has been maintained to a very high level. In 2011/2012 she underwent a comprehensive pit stop to bring her back up to tip top condition – with her systems being upgraded (further upgrades again in 2014). A well-presented and thoroughly tweaked Discovery 55. She is ready for the off.
Please contact Alan McIlroy at +44 (0)1590 679222
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Builder: Discovery Yachts
Designer: Ron Holland; Ken Freivokh
LOA: 55 ft 9 in
Beam: 15 ft 8 in
LWL: 44 ft 9 in
Minimum Draft: 7 ft 3 in
Maximum Draft: 7 ft 4 in
Displacement: 22500 kgs
Total Power: 160 HP
Engine Brand: Yanmar
Engine Model: 4LHA-HTP
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Power: 160 HP
Number of single berths: 7
Number of cabins: 3
Number of heads: 2
A recent Discovery 55 with go anywhere cutter rig and fully battened in mast mainsail (sails by North), originally built to meet MCA to Cat 2. She has been cruised extensively and is fully fitted to take you to any corner of the world. She has been maintained to a very high level.
In 2011/2012 she underwent a comprehensive pit stop to bring her back up to tip top condition – with her systems being upgraded (further upgrades again in 2014). A well-presented and thoroughly tweaked Discovery 55. She is ready for the off.
We searched extensively for the right cruising boat for long distance live aboard cruising with a focus on finding a boat that was a high quality build for both our pleasure as well as safety, good performance, practical layout and had a raised saloon. We found the boat to be a brilliant layout, at sea there is always a comfy spot to snuggle into, the motion is good and the performance was beyond our expectations (we were faster than just about every other boat we ever cruised with). The raised saloon meant we could sit below and be on watch when the weather is wet, likewise at anchor in a beautiful location with bad weather, we could still enjoy the location and not feel closed in like most boats do. The ongoing owner support from Discovery was outstanding too – we always had a support team only a phone call away which was gold.
MCA Category 2 (up to 60 miles from a safe haven).
RCD Status: The yacht conforms with the essential safety requirements of Directive 94/25EC (Recreational Craft Directive) and is categorised A – “Ocean”.
- Composite hull construction with end grain balsa core.
- Layer of kevlar from the bow to just aft of the keel.
- Non-pigmented gel is used below the waterline – helps prevent osmosis.
- Vinylester resins are used throughout – stronger and more resistant to osmosis.
- 3 x Layers of epoxy as a barrier against moisture ingress.
- Hull moulding in ‘Flag Blue’.
- Air Draft: 77’2” / 23.52m.
- Sea water inlet manifold fabricated from stainless steel.
- Sea water strainers with metal bodies.
Deck & Superstructure Construction:
- Composite construction with end grain balsa core.
- Marine ply, stainless steel is used in all load bearing areas.
- White gel coat with black mullions.
- Teak capping rail & decks.
- Joined to the hull with epoxy paste and stainless bolts.
- All bulkheads are laminated into the deck.
Keel & Rudder:
- 9,500kg (20,500lb) shaped lead keel and a depth of 7’3” (2.23m) provides a ballast ratio of 42%.
- Semi balanced large kevlar reinforced rudder.
Engine & Gearboxes:
- 1 x Yanmar 4LHA-HTP 160hp diesel engine with gearbox ratio of 2.68:1.
- Full walk-in engine room.
- All hoses ISO 7840 – to comply with MCA codings.
- Remotely accessed shut off system extraction ducting.
Maintenance & Performance:
- Always serviced at recommended intervals or earlier.
Propulsion & Steering:
- Single lever controls at cockpit pedestal.
- New Raymarine Hybrid Touch E95 plotter display at pedestal.
- Gori 2 speed, 3 bladed, feathering propeller.
- Rope cutter to propeller shaft – AM15, 3-bladed.
- Maxpower 125 composite bowthruster.
- Leather covered stainless wheel controlling a Whitlock Mamba, solid rod steering system.
- Raymarine Smartpilot X30, integrated with nav. screens and wind. Control at helm, wireless control and wifi control via nav. screens.
- Emergency steering tiller.
- Marine grade tinned cabling is used throughout.
- 24v System.
- AC distribution panel.
- DC distribution panel.
- Aft Cabin – 12V socket either side of berth – 2 in total.
- Forward cabin – 12V socket either side of berth – 2 in total.
- Pullmans cabin – 12V socket to each berth – 2 in total.
- 12 x 2v sealed gel batteries for house providing 500 amp/hour at 24v.
- 1 x start battery for engine.
- 1 x start battery for generator.
- House battery charging via shore power or on board 11kW generator & Victron Quattro charger/inverter.
- 24v to 12v dropper, 30 amp output to supply 12v equipment.
- 55 amp/hour 12v alternator for charging the start battery.
- 110 amp/hour 24v alternator for charging the main house batteries.
- Onan 11kva generator, 230v.
- 32 amp shore power cable.
- 230v/50Hz Shore power.
- Shore power socket mounted in transom.
- 3kW Victron Quattro Inverter providing 230v/50 Hz.
- 470w Solar panels with associated regulators and custom stainless mounts on the davits.
Fresh Water & Water Heating System:
- Pressurised hot and cold fresh water.
- Pressurized sea water for deck wash, electric toilets.
- Hot tub.
- Water heater plumped to twin coil calorifier; diverter valves fitted to allow by-pass tank.
- Seafresh watermaker 105 litre per hour (H206A, 230V 50hz). Owner experienced higher outputs than this.
- Additional main bilge pump with switching circuit breaker.
Grey & Black Water:
- Grey water tank & 2 black water tanks and noted below.
- Total capacity of 1,334 litres in 3 x polyethylene tanks.
- Total capacity of 1,008 litres in 2 x polyethylene tanks.
Grey/Blackwater holding tanks.
- Total black water capacity of 160 litres in 2 x tanks.
- 3 gas bottles.
- Permanent gas supply to aft deck for rail mounted barbeque.
- ST60+ Tridata SYS.
- ST60+ wind system.
- ST60+ CH/VMG display.
- Raymarine Smartpilot X30 (upgraded) with ST7002 control head.
- Raymarine 240 dual station VHF radio at helm and at nav station.
- Raymarine Digital HD radar (new).
- Raymarine E165 and E95 Hybrid touch displays – nav. Station and pedestal (new).
- Raymarine Raystar 125.
- Furuno navtex.
- Icom M801 24v with ATU 140 – includes insulated backstay and dynaplate earth– SSB (HF radio).
- Raymarine AIS 650 unit (upgraded).
- Raymarine fish finder.
- See Me active radar reflector.
- Fleet Broadband 250 – satellite communications, telephone and data.
- Wifi and data compression system that links with satellite communications (allowing remote email / data access from an iPad etc.).
- Syrens external wi-fi point c/w antenna (on stern pole).
- Discovery owner manuals & manufacturer manuals all in digital form (can be used as a library on an iPad).
Note: Owners were able to download emails, weather files etc. to an iPad over wifi. iPad ran the yachts polars for weather routing. All this is available to new owners.
- Bosch household sized washing machine (upgraded).
- Large front opening fridge for easy access (300 litres/10.4 cu.ft).
- Large front opening freezer (170 litres/6 cu.ft).
- GN Enspace 4 burner gas cooker & oven with 4 way gimbal.
- 230v Microwave.
- Hot/cold freshwater shower on aft deck to wash down after your swim.
- Shower and sink sump pump to forward and aft heads.
- Electric WC to forward heads – Tecma with fresh water and sea water flushing.
- Electric WC to aft heads – Tecma with fresh and sea water flushing.
Heating & Ventilation:
- Eberspacher Hydronic M10 central heating.
- Full tropical air conditioning (1 x 10k BTU forward, 1 x 12k BTU aft, 1 x 16k BTU saloon).
- Fans fitted to all three cabins & saloon (2 x saloon, 2 x in aft cabin, 2 x in forward cabin and 2 x in pullman cabin).
- Ventilation grill fitted adjacent to the battery compartment, as required for MCA purposes.
- Upgraded stereo with blue tooth streaming and Bose speakers throughout.
- Separate amp for the stereo.
- LED wide screen TV in saloon and LCD TV in aft cabin.
- Apple TV with streaming system.
- Masthead TV antenna complete with gain control.
- Lights in deck lockers.
- LED lighting & halogen lighting.
- Night lights throughout.
- Navigation lights upgraded to LED Lopo lights (port, starboard and stern light).
- Mast lights upgraded to LED Hella (tri-colour & anchor, steaming) (2015).
Note: Light fittings largely replaced during 2012 refit.
Summary of Accommodation:
- Standard joinery in maple.
- Charcoal Alcantara upholstery 2012 refit.
- Wood effect flooring throughout, teak.
- Tinted double glazed windows in main saloon.
- All main saloon windows are toughened safety glass.
- Mosquito screens for all Lewmar portlights.
- Oceanair mosquito screens and blinds for sleeping cabin hatches (aft, pullmans and forward cabins).
- Heated towel rails installed in both heads; electric with timer switches.
- Opening port lights in hull – positive locking method required for MCA coding.
- Front opening windows in saloon.
- Deadlights fabricated for MCA requirements.
Description of layout:
- Modern galley design.
- 3 draws with custom lining able to be adjusted to hold different layouts of plates, cups etc.
- Large pantry area.
- Wet locker at aft end of galley.
- Dish drying area with removable stone top panels.
- Glass and bottle stowage included; Perspex shelves can be removed easily.
- Curtains fitted to all saloon windows.
- Saloon table top to have adjustable height so that it can be used as a supplementary berth (not including mattress).
- Storage areas allowing for long term provisioning (for long distance cruising).
- Raised navigation seat providing panoramic vision.
- Red night light.
- Raymarine E165 Hybrid touch screen – integrated with all available systems.
- All communications within arms reach.
- Work desk / nav desk with large amounts of storage at hand.
- King size double berth with split interior sprung mattress.
- 3 x Lee cloths.
- 2 x Hanging cupboards.
- En-suite head.
- 1 x Opening hatches.
- 2 x Dorade vents.
- Curtains fitted to hull port lights, mosquito screen & blind on hatch.
- TV / DVD to port side.
- Stereo / CD / iPod connection on port side, speakers in ceiling.
- Aft cabin low level portlight to transom.
- Additional hanging locker to starboard in place of standard seat.
- GRP moulded units.
- Corian surfaces with moulded sinks.
- Seats in all showers.
- Wall mounted soap dispensers & tooth brush cup.
- Blind to portlight.
Main Forward Cabin:
- Double bed raised, with split mattress. Island berth, head forward.
- Partitioning bulkhead forward of the port light.
- Central lee cloth.
- 1 x Opening hatch with mosquito screen and blind.
- Dorade vent.
- Wardrobe port, shelves starboard, drawers beneath bunk.
- Large storage locker beneath bunk.
- Fiddle incorporated above shelf.
- Starboard wardrobe has hanging rail fitted to allow dual use by removing the shelves.
- 2 x Berths.
- Lee cloths.
- Drawers, shelving and hanging locker.
- Concealed sky screens.
- Neat tidy engine room, very well presented demonstrating the maintenance performed.
- Everything is within easy reach and designed with access and maintenance in mind.
- Deep centre cockpit.
- Large drains to remove water quickly with steel grating to stop smaller items being lost.
- Deep shaped seat backs.
- Varnished cockpit table (12 coats of varnish).
- Hot tub.
- Cockpit cushions.
- I: 71’7” / 21.83m.
- J: 20’4” / 6.21m.
- P: 63’5” / 19.33m.
- E: 22’3” / 6.78m.
- Double spreader B&R rig.
- Anodised Selden aluminium mast and boom (White powder coated).
- Lewmar mainsheet traveller track.
- Lewmar traveller for self-tacking Jib.
- Electric in-mast furling.
- Lewmar turning blocks.
- Standing rigging – 1 x 19 stainless steel wire in swaged terminals.
- Spinnaker pole deck fittings for 4.8m and 5m twistle poles.
- Spinnaker guy blocks – 130mm Lewmar single racing blocks with attached screw in pad eyes.
- Spinnaker sheets, guys and pole downhaul lines.
- Selden in-boom preventer system.
- Spinnaker Halyard 1 – Halyard, splice and swiveling snap shackle, cranked top bracket, block and spinlock jammer.
- Spinnaker Halyard 2 – Halyard, splice and swiveling snap shackle, cranked top bracket, block and spinlock jammer.
- See Me active radar reflector fitted to mast.
- Loud hailer fitted to mast.
- Genoa track with additional car and stopper for Yankee.
- Chain plate for staysail.
- Cutter rig has been chosen to include inner forestay and staysail (all controls lead to cockpit).
- Inner forestay for yankee.
- Associated rigging for genoa, including furlex, foil, forestay, halyard, sheets, sheave, mast, track, additional turning block and stopper.
- Selden rod kick boom vang in white.
- 2 x Spinnaker poles, one mounted on deck, other mounted on mast – two spinnaker pole sockets on mast track.
- Twistle rig.
- Firdell blipper radar reflector fitted to mast.
- Isolated backstay for SSB.
- All Andersen stainless steel winches.
- Electric mainsheet winch.
- Electric primaries.
- Electric central control winch at companionway.
- North Spectra Mainsail – radial cut, full length vertical battens.
- North Spectra solent up wind sail 110%, radial cut.
- North Spectra Self-tacking staysail, radial cut.
- North Genoa, cross cut.
- UPS furl away asymmetrical spinnaker.
- All associated deck gear and running rigging for spinnaker.
- Bowsprit for furling asymmetrical spinnaker.
- Second spinnaker – brand new, symmetric with sock and all running gear.
- North spinnaker compression bag.
- Bathing ladder.
- Deep self draining chain locker.
- Large sail locker.
- Stainless pulpit with teak seats.
- Stainless pushpit rail with teak seats.
- Stainless stanchions with higher than standard guard rail; guard wires in stainless steel.
- Stainless guardrails over dorade boxes.
- Deck hatches hinged on aft face to allow maximum ventilation, forward hatch hinge toward bow for safety.
- Antenna post to starboard incorporating stern light, Fleet Broadband 250, Navtex, Syrens wifi and GPS.
- Cockpit table with modified stainless steel grab and toe rails, cup holders and storage inside.
- Stainless steel rubbing strip on gunwale, adjacent to cleats.
- Side ladder with mounts.
- Teak grating for aft cockpit floor area.
- Passerelle, three piece folding gangway model 931.650 – 2.5m, with two sockets.
- Shelves in lazarettes run fore and aft, high up against the hull in each side locker; sized to carry an engine oil container and cleaning products.
- Plastic cleats with lanyards fitted to all 3 deck lockers to hang warps.
Anchoring & Mooring Equipment:
- 55kg Spade Anchor with Discovery modified bow roller (upgraded).
- Anchor chain upgraded to 100m (replaced).
- Kedge anchor support on stern rail etc.
- Fortress FX55 kedge anchor.
- 10m of chain, 50m octoplait nylon warp for kedge anchor.
- Windlass upgraded to include drum.
- Remote control for anchor windlass on pedestal.
- Chain markers for main anchor chain, 10 markers at every 10m.
Covers, Canvas & Cushions:
- Sprayhood (upgraded).
- Bimini top (upgraded).
- Deck awning with side covers (upgraded).
- Full set of cockpit and pushpit seat cushions.
- Full boat cover.
Note: Canvas work largely replaced in 2013.
Tender & Outboard:
- Manual operation davits (175kg) with custom mounts for solar panels and standup paddle board racks (removable).
- Custom built, Swift 340 dinghy hypalon tubes and alloy hull (built to be super light weight).
- Yamaha 15hp.
- Dingy cover – new.
- Zodiac Liferaft mounted on aft rail, stainless steel mounting, hydrostatic release.
- Raymarine Lifetag system inegrarted into nav screens displays, 8 x Lifetags.
- 406 GPS EPIRB.
- Grab bag.
- Jon Bouy MOB recovery system.
- Strong webbing Jackstays.
- Audible alarm fitted internally to pedestal and linked to main bilge pump.
- Automatic fire extinguisher fitted in the engine room.
- Fire extinguishers point fitted under galley sink for MCA purposes.
- Wireless smoke alarm system fitted to all cabins and engine room (upgraded).
- Fire extinguishers in all cabins (upgraded).
Note: MISS BEHAVING carries a comprehensive inventory of spares.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
Other Boats from Berthon
Lymington, Hampshire, United Kingdom
Gouvia, Corfu, Greece
Lymington, Hampshire, United Kingdom
Lymington, Hampshire, United Kingdom
Lymington, Hampshire, United Kingdom