- View Full Specifications
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Twin / diesel
- Located In:
- Portsmouth, RI
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- US$ 2,495,000
After an exhaustive market search just one year ago, satisfaction for a very judicious buyer was found in the classically styled Marlow line of vessels. More specifically this Marlow 78 Euro styled transom, otherwise referred to as the Marlow Explorer 78E. Numerous nuances surround even this single model! Blue Heron hosts the more sought after options including and starting from the top, her custom hardtop with new EZ2CY custom enclosure from Admiral Canvas, an extra-long boat deck creating extra storage space for tender and toys up top, as well as magnificent cover for her cockpit seating area which is also completely enclosed with easily opened EZ2CY panels, newly added custom lexan wing doors complete her aft enclosure and brilliantly transform this area from fun in the sun to offering interior comforts for extended New England cruising. Comfort abounds in her numerous seating / lounging options as well!
The most suitable power option offers economically operated Caterpillar C 30 engines with under 1500 hours of use, Blue Heron will cruise comfortably at 18 - 20 knots and top out at around 26 knots while also offering extreme comfort at displacement speeds and in a seaway with her optional 9 square foot stabilizer fins.
Interior styling and layout options include Blue Heron's four stateroom plus crew, four head, centerline driving with large wrap around dining settee in Pilot House and optional dining area desk with split entertainment and lounging space in the deck level main salon all customized in 2011. Note all interior option finishes include satin varnished teak and holly cabin soles throughout and satin varnished teak wall panels throughout.
For complete details please contact Central Agent Bill Titus at Northrop and Johnson, Newport office, (401) 848-5500, Cell (401) 935-3058. To receive more information by email: CLICK HERE.
For over 50 years Northrop and Johnson has provided our clients with timely, accurate information to help them acquire the right yacht. This service requires professional, experienced brokers and cannot be solely derived from the Internet To view other Northrop and Johnson listings, please visit our website. CLICK HERE.
Please contact Bill Titus at 401-849-0120
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Designer: David Marlow
Flag of Registry: United States
Hull Shape: Modified Vee
LOA: 82 ft 10 in
Beam: 20 ft 4 in
Length on Deck: 78 ft 2 in
Minimum Draft: 4 ft 10 in
Maximum Draft: 5 ft 1 in
Displacement: 100000 lbs
Total Power: 3100 HP
Engine Brand: Caterpillar
Year Built: 2005
Engine Model: C-30
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 1462
Engine Power: 1550 HP
Engine Brand: Caterpillar
Year Built: 2005
Engine Model: C-30
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 1462
Engine Power: 1550 HP
Cruising Speed: 17 mph @ 1500 RPM
Maximum Speed: 26 mph
Fresh Water Tanks: Stainless steel (300 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: (3000 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: (100 Gallons)
Number of single berths: 3
Number of cabins: 4
Number of heads: 3
BLUE HERON was delivered to her original build owner via ship and lightly cruised in the Mediterranean for two years and then brought to Florida for interior and exterior styling refits. With the vessel located at the Marlow USA Yacht Yard in Snead Island, Florida her second owner saw the opportunity to make her like new adding beautiful changes and upgrades. In fact much became brand-new on this boat at this time. All electrical infrastructure was brought to USA standards, all control panels, all chargers, a fully redundant and complete Furuno electronics package, stabilizers, tender and engine, upholstery and interior decorations, fabrics, draperies, bedspreads, linens, water maker, water filtration system, entertainment systems, fuel polisher, all household appliances i.e. cooktop, dishwasher, oven washer, dryer systems, entertainment systems, refrigeration and freezer systems, fuel polisher, exterior cushions, all canvas, barrier coat and anti-fouling, boot stripe paint, alarm system, satellite and cellular Wi-Fi networks, the addition of new stern thruster, redundant hydraulics both engines, all teak floors refinished, custom-built desk area, salon and dining tables, engine room fans and controls, complete updated exhaust system, inverter system, most of the exterior teak refinished, barbecue grills, motorized top deck awning, fire extinguishers, exterior lighting, simply to name a few.
BLUE HERON most recent updates and improvements include full enclosure of fly bridge and aft deck with the addition of custom Lexan wing doors. Custom helm seats on fly bridge and dual companion seat at fly bridge, as well as new exterior cushions on fly bridge and after cockpit complete with canvas covers. She also benefits from a new AB 15 VST hard bottom inflatable tender, reworked hydraulic crane system, upgrade to batteries and charging system for thrusters, additional 100 amp shore power service, Glendenning real, updated AV Satellite systems and TV’s to High Definition throughout and Low Voltage LED lighting throughout not to mention updated appliances in galley and laundry, simply to name a few.
Blue Heron features an open main salon and dining area with AV console to port flanked by one recliner and one matching chair to dining set. To starboard and aft is a wrap- around built in settee with corner cabinet. Forward of the settee is a second matching leather recliner with massage and heating options. Great for lounging and enjoying the 46’ retractable HDTV with surround sound. Forward to starboard, divided by a half wall is the dining area with concealed desk outboard and sideboard with storage forward. To port is the wet bar area with built in wine cooler massive counter space and storage with glass faced storage lockers for wine and cocktail glasses.
Up three steps and forward is the fully equipped galley, open to the pilot house and casual dining area. Black granite countertops coupled with under mount sink and flush cooktop allow for an abundance of working space and tidy-up to complete the overall incredibly esthetically pleasing fully functional work space. Forward of the galley and completing the pilot house one finds the centerline helm station with leather covered Stidd helm seat flanked to port by the casual dinette and to starboard by the accommodations staircase down with additional work space / navigation area to starboard and furthest outboard.
Moving below and forward down the magnificently crafted staircase one finds four private staterooms, aft and amidships is the full with berth master cabin with King center-line walk around berth with drawer storage below, large closet forward to starboard, writing desk to port and dresser storage outboard on both sides of cabin. Aft of the berth and accessible from both sides one finds the full beam, his and hers bath and head arrangement with centerline large walk in stall shower. FABULOUS! And more than the comforts of home!
VIP is cabin forward with ensuite head and stall shower, hanging lockers to port and starboard and adequate clothing storage in drawer storage below the berth.
Guest cabin one is to port with ensuite head, split single berths with drawer storage below and one hanging locker outboard.
Guest cabin two is forward and outboard of the inward turning staircase from the Pilot House and shares the VIP / Day Head. The vessels laundry equipment is below this berth. Tamboured doors quickly privatize this space if desired otherwise open to the staircase architecture features.
Additional interior details include Satin finished teak paneling throughout, solid hardwood valances, varnished teak and Holly sole, louvered or Tamboured face cabinet doors, English beveled mirrors, dovetail Douglas four drawers with ball bearing slides, brass stainless hardware throughout, all storage cabinets lined with Formica, all hanging lockers lined with Cedar, insulated ducting and hardwood grills for air-conditioning, lamp positive cabinet locks, tasteful designer fabrics, drapes, bedspreads, teak wood blinds in the salon and pilothouse, cylinder lifts on births, motorized parentheses motorized and master), Grohe faucets and fixtures, granite countertops in galley and heads, stainless port lights with screens and blackouts in all state rooms and heads, Matching carpets with black binding in all cabin areas, pilothouse, galley, and salon, all bedding new 2013, all fabrics and carpets marine grade.
Full beam master state room forward of the engine room amidships, insulated from engine room by bulkhead fuel tanks and his and hers heads with adjoining shower. King-sized birth on centerline, large stall shower, c sheets report with ample drawers and three hanging lockers, four hanging lockers to Starboard with drawers and lockers, desk with swing out stool and lighted vanity forward, built-in nightstands each side with swing arm lamps, drawers under birth, 26 inch Sharp TV with Direct TV receiver. Two full-length mirrors, six opening stainless port lights with screens and blackouts, three under deck bilge storage areas, Sony receiver with CD, to Sentry safes in master with touchpad access
Centerline king-sized birth, chest of drawers under birth with auto lighting, two hanging lockers, private ensuite head and shower separate to Starboard, 15 inch Sharp flat screen TV with direct TV receiver, stainless port lights with screens and blackout screens, Sony stereo receiver with CD, below sole storage areas
Twin berths separated by large storage locker, 15 inch flat-panel TV, Stainless port lights with screens and blackout screens, under deck storage, private ensuite head and shower, Sony stereo receiver with CD.
Starboard Guests & Laundry Area
Single berth left open to passageway when not in use, full-sized under bunk, Miele washer and dryer units 2011, Two stainless port lights, Tamboured door for privacy when used, full length beveled mirror
Full beam aft of engine room, two separate single bunks with nightstand, hanging locker, storage lockers. Upgraded built in closet and drawer unit, head with separate shower, entertainment system, 110 V refrigerator and 110 V microwave, Samsung 23 inch HDMI TV, Samsung blue Ray player new 2011, optional entrance from both aft deck and transom door.
All en suite in master VIP guest and crew cabin including white hi -gloss paneling with varnish teak trim, louvered teak cabinet doors, granite countertops, English beveled mirrors, electric vacuum flush toilets, keep framed Lexan doors to showers, China sinks, vent blowers, Grohe he faucets for sinks and showers.
- Miele compact dishwasher
- Dacor Oven
- Whirlpool Gold glass cooktop
- Sharp Carousel convenction microwave
- Broan trash compactor
- Deep undermount Stainless steel sink w/insinkerator
- Ample amounts of pantry and dish storage
New and 2011 available at both pilothouse and flybridge unless otherwise specified
- Redundant Furuno MFDB Nav Net 3-D black box
- Dual Furuno 17 inch color monitors (2 in pilot house and 2 on fly bridge)
- Furuno Max Sea computer and navigation system
- Furuno Nav Net 3-D control console
- Furuno Nav Pilot auto pilot
- One Furuno 6kw open array radar scanner
- One Furuno 12kw open array radar scanner
- Icom IC-M604 VHF Radio with Hailer
- Icom commansmic 3 at alternate station
- Airmar PB 200 weather service Sirius XM weather
- AIS system PB-50
- Echo pilot FLS platinum forward seeking sonar in pilothouse
- Naiad multi-sea Stabilizer controls (9 square foot upgrade)
- KVH satellite dome for HDTV with matching dummy dome for miscellaneous antennas
- Wireless networks for cell and satellite
- Satellite phone
- FLIR night vision camera
- Intercom system with stations in pilothouse, engine room and fly bridge
- Hanshin Search light with controls at each home
- Glomex TV antenna
- Kahlenberg dual stainless air horns mounted on the pilot house roof
- Complete engine instrumentation at both pilothouse and flybridge steering stations
- Electronic engine controls
- Full control station in aft cockpit including thrusters
- 6 inch Ritchie compass
The engine room features exceptional headroom with easy access to all sides of the engines and other service required equipment. The space is air-conditioned with easy access from aft deck or transom door. Low hour, Caterpillar C- 30 diesel engines at 1550 HP each 1462 hours at time of listing (2/2015)
- Aqua met 22 shafts with custom CNC cut Nybril S Class propellers all updated February 2013
- Flexible aqua drive couplings and thrust bearings with FRP coupling covers updated February 2013
- Tides Marine dripless engine shaft seal logs updated February 2013
- Aqua Drive soft engine mounts
- Polished stainless steel engine beds risers and fuel manifolds
- ESI fuel polisher and filtration system
- Underwater exhaust system with updated high-temperature hoses all new 2011
- Reverso oil change system with swim deck discharge fitting for used oil recovery
- Engine lube oil tank
- Main engine block heaters
- Generator Remote gauge packages
- 900 gallon per day sea recovery water maker
- Sea chest supplying all required seawater with individual shut off valves
- Two 1500 gallon FRP fuel tanks front of bulkhead at center of buoyancy
- Site gauges on tanks
- Four 3700 gallon per hour bilge pumps with auto and manual switches
- Heavy-duty manual bilge pump
- Hi water bilge alarm
- PSR fresh water pressure system
- PJR drinking water pump
- Drinking water sterilizer and water filtration system for icemakers and galley drink faucet
- 24V waterproof overhead lights
- FRP gray and black water holding tanks
- 30 gallon stainless steel water heater
- Heavy duty discharge pumps for gray and black water with deck pump out option
- Color coding on all piping for fuel, water, hydraulics etc.
- Heavy duty watertight engine room door with inspection report
- 230V three-phase ventilation fans with individual frequencies drives and four position switch and remote on off switch in pilothouse new 2011
- 24V builds blowers
- Lead and foam sound and Insulation
- Dual engine room cameras
- Mounted storage boxes for supplies and spare hardware
- Hydraulic pumps for steering and stabilizers driven by either engine
- Side power bow and stern thruster with controls at each helm after cockpit and remote
- Wireless shifter and thruster remote by “Captain Controller”
- Upgraded AC circulation fans for salon and crew cabin units
- Upgraded AC water pump relay controllers with spare relays
- New AC chiller control boards
- Central vacuum system with the outlets in salon, cabin area, pilothouse and crew area
- Bronze through whole fittings
- Varnish teak bilge grating
Speed / Fuel Consumption
RPM 800 Speed 11.1 MPH GPH 9.00
RPM 900 Speed 11.7 MPH GPH 13.00
RPM 1000 Speed 10.8 MPH GPH 18.00
RPM 1100 Speed 12.6 MPH GPH 21.00
RPM 1200 Speed 14.4 MPH GPH 29.00
RPM 1300 Speed 15.5 MPH GPH 36.00
RPM 1800 Speed 21.6 MPH GPH 87.00
RPM 1900 Speed 22.9 MPH GPH 97.00
RPM 1950 Speed 23.6 MPH GPH 102.00
RPM 2000 Speed 24.7 MPH GPH 109.00
RPM 2050 Speed 25.5 MPH GPH 114.00
WOT 2300 Speed 30.75 MPH GPH 165.00
Hull & Deck Construction
This yacht is constructed from the most modern materials and techniques providing more strength with less weight than possible with conventional technology for use. The use of Kevlar modified epoxy resin And high density core materials allows the Marlow explorer to be stronger than the heaviest of holes at a fraction of the weight. The use of modern resin infused vacuum assisted transfer is made on every counter, cabinet and soul in the yacht. The result is a yacht that cruises at 20+ knots when conventionally constructed Yachts would only achieve 17 knots with similar power. Even if speed is not a driving factor for some the increased range and reduced fuel costs will be of great benefit.
Other hull and deck construction aspects include proprietary high-pressure lamination system, vacuum bagging, engineered sandwich construction throughout. The Strut Keel technology structure protects running gear and improve directional stability. The epoxy barrier coated bottom and Seahawk anti-fowling paint offer the finest coating protection. Heavy duty 316L stainless rub rail, laminated and tapered window glass and molded FRP flush window frames for low maintenance, venturi windscreen with stainless safety rail, Portuguese bridge deck storage lockers, bowl work doors and gates port and starboard.
Additional deck gear includes Lofranz dual windlass with Vetus controls and Highland house controls deck switches with emergency shut off at helm. Danforth stainless 80 pound anchor with chain and rode, primary ground Tackle is a Bruce 110 CQR with 250’ of galvanized chain. Stainless anchor rollers, stainless anchor tethers with clips, shore water inlet and phone TV jacks in port foredeck hatch, fresh sea water wash down supply in starboard foredeck locker, laid teak decks throughout, all hardware stainless or chromed brass, custom stainless anchor light and pennant bracket, hidden fueling ports with anti-spill catch, 1.375 inch stainless stanchions on main deck, stainless cleats because holes with custom rollers and asked deck, teak bow and stern staffs, varnish teak rails, Exalt heavy duty windshield wipers and washers, 10 three-quarter inch dock lines, pilothouse forward windscreens, pilothouse door tracks fitted with Dellron for ease of operation, deck and ceiling lamps refitted with dual color LED, blue/white operation. 12 Mega Fend fender hooks with tailor-made fenders with covers 12 x 34", aft station controls with thruster controls and at aft seat lounge, aft deck camera, all exterior seating cushions white with dark blue stripe, all seating and table covers new, 12 custom white with blue striped pillows, with storage bags, three custom teak lounger pads.
Built in seating and teak table to accommodate six, extended boat deck with full overhead protection and EZ2CY custom enclosure by Admiral Marine, large door to salon, custom Lexan wing doors, twin transom doors and steps each side to swim platform, Benzoni passerail with handrails and lights hydraulic. Storage lockers for lines, stainless ladder with teaks steps from cockpit to flybridge, F. text speakers, access to crew quarters and engine room, very large storage area under swim platform.
Hydraulic 1600 pound dinghy davit, Alpine stereo CD player, 1224 and 110 V power outlets, stay home and passenger chairs with covers, full surround railing systems with screen, Custom easy to see why enclosure 360°, Stainless steel handrails on deck level for stairs to and from after deck, dual electric barbecue grill with dual temperature controls, stainless sink in the barbecue area with hot and cold water supply, master storage bags mounted In Cabinets on both sides of flybridge, dual position after flag mounts flybridge and aft deck, electric motorized awning on F of hard top with remote control 9' x 14' wide open, 110 V icemaker refrigerator combo, Red lights, teak and stainless tender chocks, teak steamer lounge chairs with cushions.
- Airmar Weather antenna
- Glowex TV antenna
- KVH rain and rain satellite phone and 10
- Two VHF 8 foot antennas
On Radar Mast:
- KVA satellite receiver for high definition TV
- 6KW radar array
- 12 KW radar array
- Hailer speakeer
- kahlenberg horns
- FLIR infrared night vision camera
- (2) 4 foot VHF antennas
In Second Dome:
- GPS antenna
- Main N 2K antenna
- A I S antenna
- SRA Serious Galaxy radio and weather antenna
- Charles iso-boost units for each shore power source
- Galvanic isolators on each shore power source
- Input/output breakers on both sides of boost units before sure relays and contactors
- Main engine room A/C distribution cabinet with new shore power relays/contactors/timers
- New 100 amp shore power source on Glendenning real
- Three removable stainless rails
- Retractable swim ladder
- 50 amp shore service cable access to Port, 100 amp to Starboard
- Upgraded storage locker hatch
- Sea/fresh water wash downs with shower on Starboard side
- TV/phone jacks and oil change outlet on Portside
- Four Ocean LED Pro Series underwater lamps in blue
Tender & Equipment
- 2013 AB15 VST hard bottom inflatable with Yamaha 70 HP four stroke outboard
- VHF radio package
- Folding swimming ladder
- Bimini top
- Full mooring cover
- Ground tackle and safety gear
- Two offshore elite life rafts with hydrostatic release and mounts
- ACR EPIRB with hydrostatic release
- 12 adult offshore lifejackets
- 2 throw able white rings with 70 foot throw lines
- Paradox along him/monitoring system with his owns on five exterior doors, one interior door, two interior motion detectors, too high water monitors, low AC voltage, and low DC voltage. (System has dial up notification capability)
- Fire boy fire suppression system modified to shut down main engines, generators, and disable engine room ventilation fans
- Fire extinguishers in all staterooms
All owners personal effects are excluded from sale. An itemized list may be provided on request.
I’ve searched high and low, inspected all of the Marlow options, and have come to the conclusion Blue Heron is the most viable option available for purchase in this past year. In fact this still remains the case if one is looking for a Marlow 78E, open bridge, with the smartest propulsion option. Please allow us the opportunity to get you a little closer and offer the pros and cons of this very attractive, user friendly and economical raised pilothouse motor yacht.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
Other Boats from Northrop and Johnson, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL, United States
Ft Lauderdale, FL, United States
Ft Lauderdale, FL, United States
Open Bridge w/Lower Helm
Chatham, MA, United States
Cruising, New England, United States
Long Range Cruiser
Fort Lauderdale, FL, United States