- View Full Specifications
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Southampton, Hampshire, United Kingdom
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- £ 225,000 Tax Paid (US$ 274,613)
"Rocking Horse" is a super example of one of Najad,s best loved models!
It is rare to find a Najad 400 on the brokerage market and especially so with this level of equipment. In the words of her current owner "she’s a boat that looks after you rather than you having to look after her. She has quality stamped right through her like a stick of rock."
Please contact Mike Jennings at +44 (0)23 8045 7966
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Warranty: 5 years
Hull Shape: Monohull
LOA: 40 ft 0 in
Beam: 12 ft 8 in
LWL: 34 ft 3 in
Headroom: 6 ft 6 in
Dry Weight: 26896 lbs
Total Power: 52 HP
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Power: 52 HP
Fresh Water Tanks: (158)
Fuel Tanks: (60)
Holding Tanks: (15)
NAJAD 400 ‘ROCKING HORSE’
A true cruising yachtsman’s boat from the design board of Judel and Vrolijk with the very high quality build you expect from the Najad yard, Rocking Horse comes well prepared for bluewater cruising and in excellent condition.
- Hull no 48, built 2004
- GRP with teak cockpit and side decks
- Taller rig than original design
- Aft cabin layout ‘B’ with central double bed, single heads
- Teak interior cabinetry in excellent condition
- Original Name ‘Moocher’, renamed ‘Rocking Horse’ in 2010
- VAT paid
- Small Ship Registration
- Hull/coachroof stripes painted Blue Awlgrip 2010
- LOA 12.2m
- LWL 10.44m
- Beam 3.85m
- Draught 2.0m
- Displacement 12,200 kgs
- Ballast 4,000 kgs
- Headroom: 1.97m in saloon, 1.95m in heads, 1.82 in aft cabin
- Beautifully crafted and stylish mahogany interior with teak and holly floors.
- Forward cabin: 2 x 2m long berths forming a generous double. Fore and aft shelves and storage cupboards on each side. Hanging locker and large shelved cupboard. Cavernous storage space beneath bunks.
- Saloon: settees/sea berths on each side surrounding the central table. Bookshelves and cupboards on each side.
- Galley: longitudinal galley in walkway between saloon and aft cabin on the port side. Twin sinks, gimballed 3 burner cooker, 100 lt. fridge, numerous storage cupboards, shelves and drawers, Corian work surface.
- Navigation area: starboard side, forward facing chart table, stowage for books and charts, plenty of space for instrumentation, easy access switch panel.
- Heads/shower: aft of navigation area, large compartment with white laminated bulkheads with Corian basin and work surface . Manual toilet, shower with pump out. Cupboards and ventilated oilskin locker.
- Aft cabin: Aft of the galley, a positively luxurious aft cabin, with centre line island double bed and small settee. Hanging locker and cupboard, several large storage bins, full length shelves on either side, and yet more storage beneath bunks.
- Spacious engine compartment accessed through door alongside galley, with room for a generator if required. additional access tothe engine below the companionway steps if required
- Large storage area which is below the cockpit locker, accessed from starboard side of the aft cabin.
- Hatches and opening port-lights in each cabin. ‘Cabin’ side reading lights in all cabins, LED lamps throughout.
Engine, Mechanical etc
- 55 HP Yanmar diesel 4JH3-E, 1500 hours (600 hour engine service March 2016)
- Racor fuel filter 2010
- Shaft seal replaced 2013
- Flex-o-Fold three blade propeller
- Rope cutter 2010
- Remote greaser for rudder bearing 2010
- Lewmar Mamba steering and electric autopilot
- Max-Power CT100 Bowthruster 2010
- All through hull fittings replaced in bronze, 2013-2015
- 2 x 210 amp/hr Lifeline AGM domestic batteries, 75 amp/hr AGM Rolls engine start battery 2010
- Emergency switching between battery banks
- Victron battery monitor 2010
- 40 amp battery charger 2013
- Balmar 110 amp alternator with Balmar multi stage smart charger and Echo-charge management 2010
- Mains shore power connector and internal ring main ( 240v & converter for 115v)
- 40 litre hot water tank heated from engine /mains
- Fuel 2 x 115 litre tanks with calibration dipstick
- Water 600 litres in 3 tanks
- Holding tank 60 litres
Rigging and Sails
- Selden mast, fractional rig with twin spreaders , Selden boom with slab reefing, spinnaker pole on mast
- S/S standing rigging replaced 2015 by Performance Rigging, Hamble
- Gas strut, new spring 2016
- Furlex jib roller reefing
- 2 x single line reefing boom
- Manual backstay adjuster
- Removable s/s inner forestay
- All lines led aft to cockpit
- Spare main halyard
- 2 x 40 Andersen winches for mainsail
- 2 x 52 Andersen primary winches with electric motors added 2010
- Fully battened, 3 Slab reefed main North in Soft Norlam 2011, with Selden cars
- Stakpak and lazyjacks by Kemp new 2015
- 125% Carbon/Technora cruising furling genoa by Quantum 2010
- Working jib UK Sails
- Storm jib UK Sails with sheets (hanks to inner forestay)
- Storm tri-sail North 2006, with dedicated track 2010, with sheets
- 4 winch handle pockets
Canvas etc (all canvas in Oyster or Light Grey)
- Stainless steel fixed windscreen from Najad 2015
- Sprayhood and s/s frame 2015
- Bimini 2011
- Cockpit cover 2010 (altered to fit new sprayhood)
- Canvas ‘Door’ attaching to sprayhood to keep rain out of entrance
- Mast to backstay sun awning 2010
- Lee cloths in main and aft cabin 2010
- At sea canvas covers for saloon and forecabin 2012
- Viking Pro 4 man liferaft 2010, serviced spring 2016, in s/s cradle on stern
- Automatic and manual bilge pumps
- Firdell Blipper
- Jackstays on deck and cockpit and additional strong points in cockpit 2010
- Seame Active Radar Enhancer 2010
- Vesper transmitting AIS with aerial splitter2011
- Removable ladder with deck plates on either side 2010
- 20kg Rocna main anchor with 60 metres x 8mm chain
- 14 kg [ ] kedge with 5 metres chain and 60 metres x 18mm multiplait warp
- Mooring warps and fenders
- Lofrans Aeron 1000 electric Windlass
- Raymarine E80 chartplotter/radar 2006, in Scanstrut pod in cockpit 2010
- Raymarine radome on mast 2010
- Raymarine ST60 speed, depth, wind with graphic displays in cockpit and at chart table
- Garmin GPS 2010 (interfaced with all instruments)
- Raymarine ST6001 autopilot with gyro compass
- Raymarine 230 DSC/VHF, with cockpit station and deck horn
- Iridium satellite phone aerial with chart table connection 2010
- Deck level navigation lights, steaming light, spreader light and masthead tricolour with anchor light
- VHF radio/CD /IPOD player with saloon and cockpit speakers
- ICOM SSB receiver with isolated backstay and KISS ground system in stern space
- Upholstery in light blue and curtains in cream
- Saloon table with 2 drop leaves and modified for easy removal
- Extra ceiling handhold saloon port side
- Cockpit table and cover
- Eberspacher warm air heating
- GN Espace Levante 3 burner cooker 2010, fitted 2015, electric solenoid
- Gas piping renewed 2015
- Pilot gas alarm
- Isotherm fridge with Frigo water cooled compressor
- Seawater hand pump in galley
- Fresh water hand pump in head compartment
- External h/c water shower on stern, shut off valves accessed inside aft cabin
- Shut off valve for hot water tank
- LED lights throughout
- Electric air fans in saloon and aft cabin
- TV/DVD and cabin clock
- Ocean air hatch screens in all cabins
- Security bars for hatches
- Mosquito screens for opening windows and hatch entry
- Fixed 3- blade propeller
- 80 amp alternator
- Numerous spares for equipment, all equipment brochures and manuals
Over the last 40 years we have had 10 different yachts, ranging from a Nicholson 26 to a Swan 44 and crossed several oceans; Rocking Horse is without doubt the best all round offshore cruising boat we have owned, and the one we’ve kept the longest. She’s responsive and quick for a genuine long distance cruising yacht and a delight to sail, easy to handle for a couple or single handed , well balanced and well mannered, has practical and comfortable liveaboard accommodation, large tankage and excellent load carrying capability, and when the going gets rough she’s a boat that looks after you rather than you having to look after her. She has quality stamped right through her like a stick of rock. In 2010 we did a serious and thorough upgrade for a 3 year cruise to the Caribbean and North America and have made continuous additions and upgrades along the way. We shipped her back to the UK in 2014 and now she’s ready to go again.
Manufacturer Provided Description
The Najad 400, is a modern cruising sailing yacht, meeting the highest performance and layout standards for long coastal and ocean sailing, she is the result of many years experience. The Najad 400 has thus been designed with a long sailing waterline and the stern raised out of the water to achieve a small wet area. The broad stern makes room for the spacious aft cabin and the integral swimming platform in the transom for comfort/security as well as increasing the stability and the downwind performance. The sharp pointed fore-body is designed to prevent the yacht slowing down in rough and heavy sea and reduce slamming. The keel is long enough to achieve a good moderation and to reduce the centre of gravity.
Spacious cockpit with a large navigation table in varnised teak behind a fixed windscreen.
Seats and upper side of cockpit coming covered in caulked, solid teak.
Curved Helmsman's seat with Najad logo in teak intarsia behind the wheel.
Removable teak grating.
Steering pedestal with stainless steel protection bar for the compass.
Flush mounted winch handle pockets in the coamings port and starboard.
The spray-hood is fitted in a groove to the top edge of the windscreen
A spray-hood extension is fitted to cover the whole cockpit
Cockpit locker under the starboard seat containing fire extinguisher,
Manual bilge pump fitted
Two 2" self-drains and draining from seats.
Interior wood Description
The first-class wood interior is handcrafted in selected and unstained African Mahogany, hand polished and varnished to a satin finish.
Flooring of varnished teak plywood with holly inlay.
Headlining of white vinyl covered panels with Mahogany strips.
Additional Description Galley
The linear galley is located amidships allowing free passage between the cockpit and saloon.
Stainless steel twin sinks.
Pressure system with accumulator tank for hot and cold fresh water. Single lever tap for hot and cold water.
Gimballed gas cooker with oven.
Fixed gas pipes with manual and remote controlled shut-off valve between cooker and gas bottle.
Work areas in a durable laminate that is easily cleaned.
Well-insulated ice box, 100 lt. incl. refrigeration unit,
Storage cupboards for plates, cups and glasses, utilising pegboards to secure crockery.
Wooden drawers, one for cutlery. Lights over work area.
Opening porthole above cooker.
Additional Description Engine room
Yanmar 55 HP 4JH3-(B)E, 4-cylinder direct injection, with fresh water-cooling.
Stern gland with water lubricated rubber bearing (2015). 3-blade Flexifold bronze propeller with shaft anode.
Single lever engine control at the pedestal.
Instrument panel fitted to starboard recess in cockpit including:
Additional Description construction
The hull is handlaid in a sandwich construction of triaxial Rowing with ISO polyester.
The surface layer is of NGA gelcoat for maximum protection against water penetration.
The colour is white with carmine red trim and water lines inlaid in the gelcoat.
The hull is topcoated/ flo coat internally.
The internal construction of the yacht is reinforced with longitudinal stringers and transverse floors.
Additional Description Deck
Deck and coachroof are handlaid in Divini cored sandwich construction in glass fibre reinforced polyester.
. The gunwale is covered with teak capping.
The deck and swimming platform are laid with solid caulked teak.
A self-draining locker forward for chain, fenders, mooring lines and gas bottles. Aft, two drained lazarettes for anchor and ropes.
Two 1" (32 mm) internal deck drains.
Mast & Rig additional detail
Fractional rig with twin spreaders and twin lower shrouds.
Mast in silver anodised aluminium profile 224/150 mm, height 50’6” (15.40 m) above deck,stepped on the coachroof and supported by a galvanised steel pillar,
19-ply stainless steel wire standing rigging. 10 mm forestay, aft and forward lower shrouds and upper top shrouds. 12 mm lower top shrouds. 8 mm backstay and inter-mediate shrouds. Stainless steel rigging screws. 7/8” for top shrouds, 1/2" for inter-mediate shrouds and all others 3/4".
Furlex with control line on port side, drawn through blocks on the stanchions, stopper on the cap rail
Backstay adjuster, mechanical.
Rodkick and topping lift.
4 x 12" (30 cm) s/steel mooring cleats, through bolted.
2 x 10" (25 cm) s/steel spring cleats midships, through bolted.
Twin bow roller fitting with double integrated anchor rollers
Pulpit stainless steel fitted with a teak step.
Pushpit in acid resistant stainless steel with two integrated teak seats.
Double lifelines with five pairs of stanchions, mounted on fittings that are through bolted to the hull below the teak capping.
Folding safety ladder fitted in the integral swimming platform.
Mainsheet track with trim lines to the ball-bearing car.
2 x 2.8 m long Genoa tracks with 2 x sheet blocks with trim lines adjustable from cockpit.
Windscreen of toughened glass in a s/steel frame.
1 x skylight, 1'3"x1'8" (39x50 cm) and 2 x 1'8"x1'8" (50x50 cm). 12 x portholes in the coachroof.
4 x Dorade ventilators with stainless steel protection bars.
Teak grab rails on both sides of the coach-roof.
Flush deck fittings for filling water and fuel tanks.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
Other Boats from Boat Sales International Ltd
Hamble, Hampshire, United Kingdom
Hamble office, Hampshire, United Kingdom
Unknown, Hampshire, United Kingdom
45 Aft Cockpit
Hamble, United Kingdom
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Hamble, Hampshire, United Kingdom