- View Full Specifications
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Lymington, Hampshire, United Kingdom
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- £ 375,000 Tax Paid (US$ 485,250)
A wonderfully shiny white Discovery 55, loved by her one owner from new. She has been constantly updated and maintained and is ready for more adventures.
Please contact Alan McIlroy at +44 (0)1590 679222
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
SLIP ANCHOR II
Builder: Discovery Yachts
Designer: Ron Holland
LOA: 55 ft 9 in
Beam: 15 ft 8 in
LWL: 44 ft 9 in
Minimum Draft: 7 ft 3 in
Maximum Draft: 7 ft 4 in
Displacement: 22500 kgs
Total Power: 140 HP
Engine Brand: Yanmar
Engine Model: 4LHA-HTP
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Power: 140 HP
Number of single berths: 7
Number of cabins: 3
Number of heads: 2
SLIP ANCHOR II is a superb cruising yacht that was thoughtfully specified for long distance family cruising. She has succeeded admirably in this role and has been carefully maintained through life including a thorough pitstop in the Spring of 2010 to update many of her systems. She continues to be professionally maintained and is being fully prepared for the 2016 season.
The Discovery 55’ has been extensively reviewed, Bluewater Sailing called her `an innovative and eminently comfortable voyaging home’, whilst Boat International said `the Discovery 55’ is a beautiful boat, soundly constructed out of the best materials and designed to look after her crew, whatever nature throws up. But none of this is at the expense of performance which is in the top league of today’s modern cruiser-racers’.
Call us today for an appointment to view, and if you would care to have copies of the boat tests above, please just ask.
Hull and Deck
White GRP construction to Lloyds and CE Category A Ocean. Two coats of isothalic gelcoat, non- pigmented below the waterline followed by a powder bound matt. Vinylester resin is used throughout the hull. 5 year guarantee against osmosis from build. Lay up incorporates an end-grain balsa core and this is laid up under vacuum. Woven mat is used for optimum strength to weight ratio and this is further strengthened with a layer of woven Kevlar through the forward part of the hull. Stringers run the full length of the yacht incorporating engine beds and tank supports. There are 3 x watertight bulkheads. One behind the anchor locker, another aft of the forward lazarette and the third toward the main saloon. The hull is epoxy painted beneath the waterline with moulded boot top gelcoat in Mid Blue together with the cavita line. Antfouling in white. Hull and topside polished (2015), and fresh antifoul (2015). New anodes (2015).
Deck in GRP with balsa core, with load bearing areas in marine ply with aluminium and with stainless steel backing plates where needed. Deck cleaned (2015). Deck incorporates 2 x lockers in the transom, 2 x lazarette steps, self draining gas locker, liferaft locker amidships, fold out bathing ladder, shower with hot and cold water.
Weather deck, forward coachroof, cockpit seats, helmsman’s seat and Discovery hot tub with hot and cold fresh water plumbing, forward cockpit sole and transom steps, teak laid in quarter sawn teak with teak capping rail.
The hull to deck join incorporates a raised flange from the bulwark which is bonded to the matching hull flange with epoxy bonding paste.
All windows are constructed of toughened safety glass set in marine grade aluminium frames which were resprayed 2013. The main saloon windows are double glazed, 6 x opening ports in hull, portlight above pilotberth.
- Yanmar 4LHA-HTP 140hp 4 cylinder, turbo charged diesel engine with gearbox ratio of 2:1:1, serviced in 2015.
- Dual alternators
- Engine is flexibly mounted with Aquadrive coupling and stainless steel shaft to cast bronze p bracket. Cutlass bearing (2011).
- Maxprop propeller and ropecutter (lubricated and cleaned 2014).
- Engine room in lined with fire retardant insulation faced to avoid contamination. Ventilation ducting is also sound insulated where required.
- Separ fuel filter.
- Stainless steel sea chest reducing dramatically the number of through hull fittings, all overhauled (2013).
- Steering greased and checked (2014).
- 11 kw Onan generator in an acoustic hood, serviced in 2014.
- 220v sockets throughout ship.
- Engine and generator start are charged by their own alternators. This provides secure back-up with 2 120amp hour separate batteries in gel, both systems at 12v replaced (2010). The main engine has a 55 amp hour alternator. There is an emergency link which allows charging from either alternator.
- 2 x 260Ah 12v batteries manufactured by Red Flash Nick (2014). All batteries are secured against knockdown.
- Charged the by a 100amp hour alternator on the engine or via the 2 x Victron battery charger delivering 120 amp hours of charge. This charges at 75 amp hours from the genset or shorepower. Victron Energie static invertor (2010).
- There is a 24 to 12 v convertor for 12v use.
- All wiring is tinned, multi-strand marine cable.
- Heavy duty battery switches isolate all circuits apart from the independent bilge pump system.
- Tunnel Bowthruster, the propeller was replaced 2009, blades cleaned and serviced (2014).
- Full tropical air conditioning in reverse cycle.
- Seafresh watermaker – 90 litres per hour.
- Eberspacher D10W hot water central heating system, totally refitted (2010).
- A selection of spares are included.
- 50 litre calorifier with 220v immersion.
- 2 x Blackwater tanks each of approximately 60 litres.
- Grey water holding tank of 170 litres above the keel sump with electric pump out; seacocks replaced (2013), checked and eased (2015).
- Salt water pressure pump for deck wash fitted at anchor well. 15m of hose and hose gun.
- Bilges are separated into 2 areas. The forward cabin has its own electric bilge pump; new float switch (2013). The main cabin drains via limber holes to a deep sump fitted with high output electric bilge pump which was replaced and updated in 2010/2012. There is also an electric bilge pump for the forward sail locker. All 3 pumps are fitted with automatic floats and 2 position switch. A manual bilge pump fitted with strum box can be operated from the cockpit. Bilge pumps and alarms checked (2015).
- Salt water deck wash with an outlet at the anchor well and at the hot tub.
2 x Fresh water food grade high density polyethylene tanks from Tec Tanks, fitted with inspection hatches and baffles. Tanks 1 and 2 are approximately 400 litres each. There are deck feeds for these and a rain water catching system and contents gauge. Tank senders replaced (2013). Fresh water system winterized and re-commissioned (2015).
3 x Diesel high density polyethylene tanks with baffles and inspection hatches. Total capacity 1200 litres. Each tank has a drain point at the bottom to permit the removal of water or contaminants. The main fuel feed is then led to a Racor fuel filter and water separator. There are content gauges for all 3 tanks
The interior is designed by Ken Freivokh. Cherry interior with clear lacquer finish and teak and holly soleboards in laminate throughout; the interior hinges were replaced where necessary (2013). Saloon upholstery renewed (2015). Internal cabin blemishes in varnish work etc. refurbished (2014).
V berth cabin with infill and ample lockers including high level lockers. Good ventilation and large hatch.
Port side upper and lower berth cabin again with good stowage and plenty of light.
Guest heads with Sananautica, electric heads, new plumbing and motor (2010), shower and basin with pump out, replaced in 2012, with Corian surfaces.
Door to main saloon with pilot berth for use at sea.
Main saloon raised seating area (reupholstered in 2015) with a table that allows space for 7 people to dine but which will fold down to coffee table size. It has a compass rose motif and has been altered so that it will serve as a double berth. This is a true deck saloon offering panoramic views. Port forward saloon window totally replaced in 2014.
The raised navigator’s station gives excellent visibility. The chart table is full sized. There are provision of red and white lights in this area and a separate chart drawer under the pilot berth.
The galley has a double sink near the centreline of the yacht and the surfaces are in Corian. There are cherry fiddles and a separate foot operated fresh water pump with a large draining bin beside the sink so that washing up can be left to dry naturally. There are 2 opening ports in the coachroof for ventilation, an opening hatch overhead and a hatch into the cockpit. The deep freeze has a volume of 175 litres and the fridge has a capacity of 300 litres which is front opening with 2 doors, both are by Frigomatic. They were serviced in 2013 with new anodes fitted. The cooker is a gimballed Force 10 3 burner cooker with remote gas solenoid shut off valve and extractor fan above. Complete cooker refurbishment including new gas safe certificate (2014).There is also a microwave. The galley sink has a macerator pump new in 2010.
A wet locker is situated at the aft end of the galley.
The owner’s cabin has a king size centreline double with split mattress and leecloths, set on battens for extra comfort. There are extensive wardrobes and locker space as well as ample bookshelves. There is a central dressing table and a separate heads to starboard with electric Sananautico electric heads new pipework and motor 2010, basin, Corian surfaces and separate shower stall. The main engine room access is here. The engine room was fully cleaned (2015). On the forward bulkhead is access to a full sized washer/dryer.
Mast Rig and Sails
Selden white painted aluminium alloy masthead spar with twin swept back spreaders and B&R rig with new cap shrouds (2011). D2s and RD2s replaced 2013. Electric in-mast furling. Selden manual furlex system for both jibs, overhauled 2012. Selden hydraulic kicker with new ram (2012), all hydraulics refurbished (2012), twin pole Twistle rig system white painted, Firdell Blipper radar reflector also. Spinnaker halyard and boom light. Internal halyards, self tacking staysail. Masthead VHF antennae and cable, masthead tricolour, and anchor lights, steaming and deck lights. Windex wind indicator. Standing rigging of 1 x 19 stainless steel wire. Forestay replaced (2012). 12mm Spectra running rigging, jackstay lines, Sheets in braid. Vang re-gassed and serviced (2014). Rigging report and inspection (2014) – all ok. Available on request.
- Hood Vectran Mainsail (2009)
- Hood Dacron genoa (2003); refurbished by Hoods in 2010.
- Hood Dacron self-tacking jib (2003); refurbished by Hoods in 2010.
- Hood Terylene Cruising Shute with squeezer (2003).
Note: All sails removed, washed and serviced by Kemp (2016).
- 1 x Andersen Mainsheet 48st electric.
- 2 x Andersen 64 ECST primaries electric.
- 1 x Andersen 48 ECST main halyard, and self-tacking sheet electric.
- 1 x Andersen 44 CST headsail halyards.
- All winches serviced in 2014.
Electronics and Communications
Navigation – on deck:
- ST60 Raymarine speed and depth separately.
- ST 60 Raymarine wind vane system.
- Autohelm 7001+.
Navigation – below:
- Raymarine RL80 CRC Radar/plotter with 2kw radome.
- Autohelm 7001+ control at chart table.
- Garmin 128 GPS.
- Simrad RD68 25kw Multi-Channel VHF.
- Icom SSB with insulated back stay, replaced in 2013, and earthing plate, new microphone (2012).
- Iridium aerial without handset.
- Starboard antenna for Nautex/Iridium & GPS.
- Clarion stereo FM radio and CD player. Twin speakers in main saloon and twin water resistant speakers in the cockpit.
- Side bathing ladder and mounts.
- Varnished fixed cockpit table with storage internally.
- Teak grating in aft of cockpit in way of helm. The standard Discovery hot tub is plumbed for use.
- 150kg manual Whittal stainless steel davits – part new internals installed, including top hats, and serviced (2016).
- Lewmar Ocean 3 vertical capstan windlass with remote control with 2 way control switch. New gypsy (2010). The main roller is set forward with an oversize delrin roller for a perfect fit for the chain. There is a second roller to port.
- 88lb Delta anchor self stowing, with 100m calibrated galvanised chain. Facility for stern anchoring, and Fortress FX55 kedge anchor with 4 metres chain and 50m octoplait nylon warp.
- 6 x Mooring cleats.
- Pad for outboard on pushpit
- Starboard antennae mast for FB250, 2 x GPS antennas and Navtex antennae.
- Nova lift crane.
- Outboard holder.
- All stainless steel fabrications in 316 marine grade stainless steel mirror polished (polished 2014). Stern rail extends well forward with opening gate to transom. Gin and tonic seats on pushpit, and Dolphin seats on pulpit.
- Opening gates port and starboard with high stainless steel stanchions 715 mm set in gunwales. Double stainless steel guardwires.
- Stainless steel guard rails over all dorade boxes and grab handles along deck saloon roof.
- 3 x Stainless steel U-bolts in cockpit for safety harness attachment.
- Hard case Liferaft in Discovery liferaft locker – checked (2014) and within service dates.
- Sprayhood (2012), bimini (2007), frame and hood, table cover, helm cover.
- Gas bottles in Discovery gas locker including spare bottle.
- 8 double folding cockpit cushions.
- Detachable light weight folding carbon fibre passerelle.
- Fire blanket adjacent to companionway.
- Smoke detectors fitted as per Discovery Yachts advisory note (2014).
- Lee cloths throughout.
- Halogen down lighters throughout yacht.
- Garbage shute.
- 240v Microwave.
- Drinks locker under pilot berth.
- Washer dryer.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
Other Boats from Berthon
Lymington, Hampshire, United Kingdom
Lymington, Hampshire, United Kingdom
Lymington, Hampshire, United Kingdom
Gouvia, Corfu, Greece
Lymington, Hampshire, United Kingdom