- Video Gallery
- View Full Specifications
Owner says Sell !
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Marina del Rey, CA
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- US$ 139,950
- B&G Instruments w 6 Displays
- New Interior Biege Leather Cushions 2014
- 2 Mainsails newest 2014
- Ulman #1 Genoa 2016
- 2 #3 Genoas
- Cruising Genoa
- 2A North ASYM 2014
- 3 other ASYM Spins
- Spin Cruising Sock
- New Head
Contact Bill Peterson for more information.Office: 310.821.5883Cell: (310) 871-1977Email: Bill@DenisonYachtSales.com
For a Personal Showing Call Bill Petersen 310 871 1977 cell firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact Bill Petersen at 310.871.1977
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Designer: Rod Johnstone
Hull Shape: Monohull
LOA: 40 ft 0 in
Beam: 12 ft 0 in
LWL: 35 ft 0 in
Maximum Draft: 7 ft 0 in
Displacement: 13900 lbs
Ballast: 6000 lbs
Dry Weight: 13900 lbs
Total Power: 38 HP
Engine Brand: Yanmar 3JH2E
Engine Model: Yanmar 3JH2E
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Propeller: Folding propeller
Engine Power: 38 HP
Fresh Water Tanks: (75 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: (27 Gallons)
Number of single berths: 8
Wind speed and direction
Fully battened mainsail
Manual bilge pump
Electric bilge pump
Shore power inlet
IJPE : 781.50 sq ft
I : 50.50 ft
J : 14.50 ft
P : 46.50 ft
E : 17.83 ft
Working Sail Area : 780.00 sq ft
Manufacturer Provided Description
Comfort is a sense of well-being. It is a faith in coming through no matter what the weather. The J-120's ease of operation means getting off the mooring in three minutes with people who've never sailed before, and sailing with mainsail alone with plenty of visibility and control in crowded harbors. Comfort is freedom from anxieties. Comfort is protection under a well-designed dodger with side curtains. The cockpit seat-backs are angled outward for sailing comfort to windward as well as lounging in harbor. It has flared topsides that slap waves down instead of bouncing them up onto the deck. Comfort is a predictable, stable motion. Comfort is straight-as-an-arrow tracking of the long, narrow hull when running before seas. It is a balanced, not wedged, hull shape with enough reserve buoyancy forward to lift the bow easily over waves when surfing off the wind. Comfort is a responsive, large-diameter, leather covered wheel for one-hand steering from either side-deck or from behind the wheel. Sail controls are within easy reach for trimming mainsail and genoa (or asymmetric spinnaker) on long coastal passages - without leaving the wheel or relocating a safety harness. Two people can fly the asymmetrical to steady the boat and sail fast enough to make port in time for a walk ashore. Among 40-foot cruisers or racers, there's no match for the J-120's velocity made good upwind or downwind, doublehanded. VMG is the measure of sailboat design: velocity made good straight into the wind or away from the wind, regardless of tacking or jibing angles. A J-120 sailing at 7.2 knots, 38 degrees off the true wind (25 degrees apparent wind angle), makes good a velocity (VMG) of 5.7 knots straight into the wind. This is 15 percent faster than a boat doing 7 knots at a 45 degree true wind angle. The J-120's performance is a function of a low center of gravity, a narrow waterline, good draft and a powerful sail area to displacement ratio. A key contributor is high-quality balsa-core laminate construction with 65 to 70 percent glass content achieved with TPI's resin infusion process. And, owners can go one step further by selecting the Hall Spars carbon-fiber mast rather than aluminum. The 120 lbs. saved up high is the equivalent of having two 200 lbs. crew on the weather rail when sailing to windward. Reaching at over 10 knots becomes almost a daily occurrence in a J-120. Two people can safely fly the asymmetrical spinnaker on its 7-foot retractable carbon-fiber J-Sprit. No one has to go on deck when the spinnaker is deployed. It's contained in a snuffer sock operated from the cockpit. Jibing is as easy as letting go the old sheet and pulling in the new one. Sailing downwind, the spinnaker projects out to windward from behind the wind shadow of the mainsail, driving the apparent wind as much as 50 degrees forward of true wind direction. The J-120's boat speed and wind speed are about equal in six knots of wind with a remarkable downwind velocity of nearly two-thirds the wind's speed.
Factory Original Equipment List
- J120 Specifications Hull & Deck
- Lloyd's approved Baltek Contourkore end grained balsa composite construction using biaxial and unidirectional glass with vinylester resin on the outer hull layer.
- TPI patented SCRIMP resin infusion system molding process for optimum laminate strength with 65-70 per cent glass content in structural skins.
- 6,000 lb. 7.0' draft, variable chord, high lift, lead keel bolted and epoxy bonded to deep molded stub w- sump.
- Off-white deck with a high traction non-skid.
- Single tapered boot stripe.
- Low maintenance extruded white ORC 1.5" foredeck, winch grinder, and helmsman toe-rails. T-track toe-rails from mast aft to stem.
- Large cockpit storage locker & 2 lazarette lockers.
- Watertight forward collision bulkhead (w- bow locker only).
- Molded stem platform w- swim ladder.
- Molded spray shield with dodger storage and companionway instrument pod.
- GRP molded structural bulkhead supporting chainplates bonded to hull, deck, and mast step.
- All intermediate bulkheads glassed to hull and deck for stiffness.
- Infused directly with primary lamination.
- Custom fabricated I-beam aluminum mast step.
- Heavy-duty fiberglass floor stringer grid infused into hull.
- Propulsion & Steering
- Yanmar 3JH2-E 38 hp diesel engine with hour meter & 100 amp alternator, fresh water-cooling, and Racor fuel filter.
- Max Charge external regulator with temperature sensor for alternator.
- Yanmar engine panel recessed in cockpit includes tachometer w- fuel gauge, alarms for oil, battery, night light, and temperature
- OLR 100 engine insulation with removable engine box.
- 27 gallon fuel capacity with baffles and inspection - clean out.
- 17"x16" Martec folding prop with 1" SS shaft.
- Volvo drip-less shaft gland.
- Balanced spade rudder w- unidirectional glass & large diameter shaft mounted in Harken bearings exceeding ABS specs.
- Edson 48" Diamond Series white aluminum wheel with natural leather grip on custom molded pedestal with 5" Ritchie compass, brake, and wheel height stainless guard. Gear ratio of 1:1 to facilitate installation of self-steering devices.
- Anodized aluminum emergency tiller.
- Plumbing & Electrical
- Manual bilge pump in cockpit.
- Electric bilge pump w- switch & check valve.
- Manual fresh water foot pump in head and galley.
- 75 gallon water capacity with two baffled tanks under settees.
- Raritan Marine head with 14 gallon holding tank and "Y" valve and overboard discharge pump.
- Ice box drain with valve.
- Head - shower sump pump.
- Hot & cold pressure water system with 6 gallon water heater.
- Cockpit fresh water shower.
- Five Marelon seacocks and double-clamped hoses below the waterline.
- Deluxe lighting package with overhead halogen in galley, dedicated swing out nav light, swivelling tulip & dome lights
- Two 105 AH gel-cell deep cycle batteries.
- Bass 12 VDC metered panel.
- Bass battery switch with 100 amp DC main breaker.
- 110V shorepower system including 110V panel, three 110V outlets, 50' shore cord and receptacle. o UL approved stranded, tinned copper ABYC color coded wiring throughout.
- Navigation lights and steaming light.
- Deck Hardware
- Two Harken 48.2 STA (self-tailing) primary winches.
- Four Harken 44.2 STA halyard & mainsheet winches.
- Two 10" Speed-Grip and two 8" B8AL aluminum lock-in winch handles with three PVC handle holders.
- 2:1 Mainsheet system of Harken Black Magic Blocks with three 75 mm leading to cheeks to P&S mainsheet winches.
- Harken adjustable mainsheet traveler with 4:1 purchase
- Harken clear anodized jib & genoa tracks & end-stops
- Harken Black Magic checkstay blocks system including
- Harken Black Magic 75 mm double footblocks outboard of cockpit for checkstay tails & spin sheets.
- 150 cams near primaries for spin. sheets when not in use.
- Disappearing checkstay system with three Harken bullets, and shock cord.
- Harken spinnaker sheet blocks on Wichard 6544 U-bolts fwd. of stern pulpit legs.
- Roller furling control line w- foredeck block, SS lined bullseyes and Harken cam cleat w cam fairlead.
- 2:1 J-Sprit control line leading to two Harken Sprit blocks, block on forward bulkhead and aft through bulkheads to cockpit cam. o Two cockpit snuffer control cams 6" behind two SS lined bulls-eye fairleads.
- Two bow chocks, two 10.5" bow cleats, two 8" stern cleats.
- Custom SS stemplate w- tack fitting & attachment studs for optional anchor roller, chainplates, & backstay tang.
- Five Lewmar Ocean Series Hatches.
- Five Bomar aluminum framed cabin opening ports and one fixed port on cabin sides and three Bomar cockpit opening ports.
- Companionway dodger with side curtains mounted against splash molding w-boot.
- Mainsail cover
- Lexan companionway drop board with nylon storage rack in cockpit locker.
- Double 5-32" coated lifelines & tapered stainless stanchions w- custom bases, double SS bow & stern rails, and stern gate.
- Four 12"x24" poly mesh line bags.
- Teak flag staff and 3x5 American flag.
- Three helmsman side & centerline seat cushions.
- Four custom acrylic covered AC hose lifeline covers for helmsman (to match non-skid deck color).
- Gimballed, 3 burner (including oven), non-pressurized Origo alcohol stove - oven w-SS safety bar & cutting board.
- Highly polished stainless double sink recessed below 1-2" off-white Fountain head counter covering.
- Vertical stainless grab post.
- Molded 6.0 cu.ft. icebox with 4" foam insulation, dual lids, utility storage shelf and slider.
- Two dry goods storage areas w- shelf & acrylic slider covers.
- Cup, bowl and plate storage on aft galley bulkhead. o Two utensil drawers o Pot storage cabinet with mid-height shelf below drawers. o Laminated cold molded fiddles.
- Mast & Boom
- Hall Spars 6061-T6 tapered aluminum performance mast section with double airfoil spreaders, finished in off-white Awlgrip, w- painted black bands, steaming light, internal wire conduit and pre-drilled head ventilation holes.
- Mast fitted with single climbing step and two CL219 clamcleats for temporary cleating of halyards when hoisting sails alone.
- Hall Spars boom w- welded end fittings, 8:1 internal outhaul purchase system, mainsail reef sheaves, mainsheet bail, and vang lug. Finished in off-white Awlgrip w- painted black band.
- Retractable carbon fiber J-Sprit extendable to 7' beyond bow w- molded GRP end caps. Standing & Running Rigging
- Continuous Navtec Rod System w- Series 200 turnbuckles. -12 headstay, -12 upper - lower shrouds, -10 interm, and -10 backstay.
- Harken split-drum 1.5 headsail furling system.
- Sailtec -12 integral hydraulic backstay.
- Hall integral C-24 Quik Vang with 8:1 Harken purchase.
- White Formica paneling with varnished teak cold molded trim, teak drawer and cabinet faces.
- Forward double V-berth measures 75" x 80.5" x 26"
- Vinyl lined hull siding throughout.
- Varnished teak & holly cabin sole.
- Forward cabin w- private head entrance, hanging locker with mesh cover, changing seat with cushions, storage below, duffel storage bin below berth, and bureau with drawers to starboard.
- Aft cabin to starboard including hanging locker with mesh cover, changing seat outboard w- storage under, large berth measuring 48" x 78" x 29".
- Settee berths in main cabin with large backrest storage compartments, shelves and storage outboard of back rests.
- Deluxe bolstered cushions
- Drop-leaf table with cold molded fiddles & stainless base.
- Large chart table w- chart storage and hinged overhead electrical & instrumentation panel. Tool storage below hinged seat.
- Head with two access doors (from fwd stateroom and main cabin) including a manual shower, sink, vanity, mirror, and storage. This area contains mast & separate sump with grate.
- Stainless companionway ladder with varnished teak treads & non-skid strips.
- Vinyl overhead in main, forward and aft cabins.
- B&G Instruments
- Remote AutoPilot Control
- 20/20 Jumbos on Mast (2)
- GPS w AIS
- Bluetooth Stereo System
- New Main Cover
- New Head
- New Interior Cushions
- 10 Sails (includes racing and cruising)
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. Hours listed may vary from actual hours due to recent use. Purchaser is encouraged to verify hours prior to purchase. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.