- View Full Specifications
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Westbrook, CT
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- US$ 395,000
"Fast is Fun" with this New Zealand-built Rob Humphreys 53 performance cruising yacht.
Rob Humphreys (Oyster Yachts designer) is well known for his ability to design a smooth-sailing high-load-capacity-carrying hull. INDEPENDENCE was commissioned by an experienced sailing couple as their ultimate passagemaker and cruising home.
Built with attention to performance, features such as carbon mast, boom furling and composite construction have shaved off roughly 25% of the weight, when compared to similar cruising yachts of her size.
Below decks the yacht has the feel of a much larger boat. The three-stateroom interior is finished in teak joinery. The raised saloon is bright and airy, with saloon windows giving occupants a nice feel of their surroundings both at sea and at anchor.
The deck layout is clear and uncluttered. Singlehanded sailing is easy with all sail controls leading to the cockpit. The 105% headsail is easy to tack, and the fractional rig sail plan is the most efficient available. For passages a removable staysail is fitted. Hull was painted low maintenance Gloss White with Flag Blue boot and red bottom paint (fall, 2013). Spring launch paid for by Seller.
INDEPENDENCE is a quality-constructed cruising yacht built with attention to detail and with pedigreed equipment. Estate Sale.
Please contact Bob Marston at (401) 474-1275, mobile, or via e-mail at bmarston@WellingtonYachts.com for detailed information on this yacht.
Please contact Bob Marston at (401) 474-1275
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Builder: Ian Franklin Boatbuilders
Designer: Rob Humphreys
Flag of Registry: United States
LOA: 53 ft 0 in
Beam: 15 ft 4 in
LWL: 45 ft 6 in
Minimum Draft: 7 ft 6 in
Displacement: 36500 lbs
Ballast: 14425 lbs
Bridge Clearance: 78 ft 0 in
Total Power: 100 HP
Engine Brand: Yanmar
Year Built: 2000
Engine Model: 4JH3-HTE
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Propeller: Folding propeller
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 100 HP
Fresh Water Tanks: (120 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: (80 Gallons)
Number of double berths: 3
Number of cabins: 3
Number of heads: 2
Electrical Circuit: 12V
Total Liferaft Capacity: 6
Teak joinery interior featuring sleeping accommodations for six in three private staterooms, with an additional two berths in the saloon.
Master Stateroom, Aft:
The owner's stateroom features a centerline queen-sized berth, small settee, hanging locker, abundant storage with vanity, large and small drawers, cabinets, four opening ports for excellent ventilation and 270-degree viewing. There are one large opening hatch overhead with retractable screen and shade, overhead halogen lights and reading lamps, as well as Hella fans.
Master en suite Head:
Master stateroom has an en suite head forward to port, with a walk-through door to the nav area.
The middle guest stateroom features a double berth, hanging locker, drawers, cabinet, overhead halogen lights and reading lamps, oscillating fan, large overhead hatch with retractable screen and shade, opening port for good ventilation and viewing outside.
The forward guest stateroom features a large centerline queen-sized berth, small settee, hanging locker, drawers and cabinets, overhead halogen lights, reading lamps, two opening ports, a large overhead opening hatch with retractable screen and shade and two Hella oscillating fans.
Shared by the guest staterooms, opposite the middle guest stateroom, also functions as a day head.
The main saloon is spacious, bright and airy. The cabin features a U-shaped settee to port, full-length settee to starboard, adjustable height cocktail/dining table, crystal and wine bottle storage cabinet, CD stereo system with Bose marine speakers in interior and cockpit, two large opening hatches with retractable screens and shades and two opening ports. Large Lexan windows surround raised cabin sole and provide natural interior light.
Top and front opening fridge and freezer for full and easy access with 5" insulation. Sea Frost separate engine-driven and DC refrigeration systems. Full-length Savannah Magna Corian counter tops with dedicated dishware compartments built-in.
- Force 10 three-burner stove with oven and broiler
- Microwave oven
- Small pantry and abundant storage
- Double S/S sink with retractable spray hose
Electrical system designed by Nigel Calder; 900 amp/hrs. gel cell house battery bank; dedicated battery for main engine starting.
- Navigation lights, running lights, anchor lights etc.
- Shore power for electrical outlets, batteries, fridge and freezer charging
- Heart Interface Freedom 25 inverter
- Balmar 180 amp alternator, in addition to Yanmar alternator
- Link 2000 battery charger and monitoring system
- Battery parallel switch for both battery banks
Electronics and Navigation Equipment
- (7) Raytheon ST60 multi-function displays total: (3) companionway, (1) helm, (1) owner’s stateroom, (2) nav station
- Nera Mini M worldwide satellite phone
- Full-sized chart drawer
- Raytheon ST 7000 autopilot w/Type 300 core pack
- Raymarine radar
- Raymarine RL 80C chart plotter at nav
- Raymarine RL 70C chart plotter at helm
- ICOM M710 SSB radio w/AT-130 antenna tuner
- Standard Horizon Quantum GX 2360 w DCS and fog horn, with (2) remote mics at helm and owner’s stateroom
- Chart table with opening top and (3) large drawers
- Yanmar 100hp 4JH3-HTE-98 diesel engine
- Bow thruster
- Marine Air reverse cycle air conditioning/heat
- Spectra watermaker
- Fuel transfer from lowest parts of tanks for testing or transfer
- Oil change pump on engine
- PPS shaft seal with Aqua Drive coupling
- Groco manual head system redundant freshwater system with two Jabsco freshwater pumps; integral tanks with inspection
- Tank Tender system to monitor fuel and water tanks
Sails and Rigging
- Sparcraft Hi-tech carbon fiber mast
- Fractional rig, 75' off water; mast is 68' above deck with 22 degree sweptback double spreaders; 78' air draft
- Marten Marine Leisure-Furl roller furling boom for fully battened mainsail
- Retractable stowage cover for roller furling boom that slides forward to easily cover sail when not in use
- Reef line to cockpit, boom vang, carbon spinnaker pole
- Harken 3 roller furling unit for jib
- Running rigging in Vectran and Spectra
- Discontinuous rod rigging
- Harken roller furling manual Series 3
- Harken B503 manual backstay adjuster
- Kevlar check stays with block and tackle for use when inner forestay is used
- Dedicated separate trysail cable adjacent to mast for easy deployment of trysail
- Hydraulic mast jack for easy spar work when necessary
- Colored Spectra halyards
- Stainless steel inner forestay cable with Wichard quick release (inner forestay needed only when storm staysail is employed)
- Stainless steel chainplates
- Mainsail (2012) (excellent condition, used eight times)
- 105% Ulmer (2004)
- 100% Doyle (2000)
- Doyle heavy cruising chute (2000)
- Ulmer cruising chute (2004)
All winches are conveniently located in the cockpit; electric winches have foot controls at helm allowing skipper to easily trim and ease sails. All halyard and reef lines led through Lewmar turning blocks and clutches to cockpit.
- (2) Lewmar 64 CEST electric primary winches
- Lewmar 54 CST electric main halyard winch
- Lewmar 54 CST electric main sheet winch
- Lewmar 54 CST halyard winch
- Lewmar 16 CST traveler winches
- Lewmar 16 CST jib reefing winch
Hull and Construction
Designed by Rob Humphreys, well known for his work with Oyster Yachts since 1999. Hull was painted low maintenance Gloss White Awlgrip with Flag Blue boot and red bottom paint (fall, 2013).
- (2) Watertight collision barrier bulkheads forward
- Extremely strong Kevlar composite hull with Airex closed cell foam core (epoxy E-glass unidirectional and triaxial with Kevlar cloth on fore foot area)
- Resin-International Product XTR
- Fiberglass layup (material and design by High Modulus)
- Forespar Marlon thru-hull valves.
- Humphrey's-designed unique modified bulb lead keel externally attached
- Large carbon fiber spade rudder with Harken rudder bearings
- Teak seating and floor in cockpit, with teak on aft coach roof and mast step area
- Teak pushpit seats
- Integrated toe rail with custom two-tone grey/white non-skid decks
- 32" Custom tapered S/S stanchions with double plastic-covered life lines
- (2) Large lazarettes aft, port and starboard
- Large sail locker at foredeck behind deep anchor chain locker
- Dedicated vented propane locker to secure (2) 20 lb. tanks
- Whitlock Deluxe Mamba 1001/130 DL Bevel drive steering system for precise feel and control, with recessed Ritchie compass white enamel aluminum steering wheel with leather cover
- Dodger and bimini with S/S framework, clear overhead panel and removable sides for total enclosure
- (6) 50' Yale 5/8" blue dock lines with loops
- (4) White 10 x 30 fenders
- (4) 12 x 34 fenders
- Avon offshore 6-person canister life raft mounted on aft deck
- (6) USCG approved offshore PFD's
- Horseshoe buoy
- EPIRB 406 GPS
The owner’s personal effects are excluded from the sale.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
Other Boats from Wellington Yacht Partners
Deck Saloon 53
Westbrook, CT, United States
54 Aft Cockpit
Mystic, CT, United States
Southwest Harbor, ME, United States
Stuart, FL, United States
Portsmouth, RI, United States
Hinckley / Alden
Portsmouth, RI, United States