- View Full Specifications
PRICE REDUCED mkII Starlight
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Bursledon, Hampshire, United Kingdom
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- £ 65,000 Tax Paid (US$ 82,674)
Well known to us here at Grabau International, having sold her to the current owners, STARFIRE is a fantastic example of the later mkII Starlight 35 built by the legendary Rival Bowman Yachts.
A particularly highly specified example, STARFIRE has been set up well for longer passages with inventory highlights including self-steering gear, wind generator, solar power and satellite phone. She is however equally happy sailing inshore and provides a secure, yet entertaining ride.
Heavily updated in her previous and current ownerships, much of which was in anticipation of a big ocean crossing which she never started, STARFIRE has benefitted from plenty of recent expenditure. Her standing rigging is in date, her systems are well serviced and she benefits from brand new white topsides paint in 2015.
STARFIRE represents a great opportunity to pick up one of these hugely popular ‘do all’ fast cruising yachts, in the preferred ‘deep keel, no-teak decks’ configuration and with the benefit of the later mkII Rival Bowman build. Her owners will be very sad to see her go, but she has been replaced by another fine young lady who is presently giving her new parents plenty of sleepless nights and little time to enjoy sailing.
Acclaimed by the yachting press as one of the prettiest boats afloat in her class, this popular and fast cruising yacht has now over 100 yacht afloat around the world. Designed by Stephen Jones, and voted the overall winner of the 1996 Yachting World ‘One of a Kind Rally’ and CHS ARC winner in 1994.
The Starlight 35 features a double moulded method of construction with built-in installation, a deep bilge and a choice of lead deep keel fin (as fitted to Starfire) or shallow draft wing keel. The mk2 version includes a more luxurious interior and a very full inventory.
YACHTING PRESS REMARKS:
“The Starlight 35 has clearly been conceived by people who understand the demands of a yacht, in particulars her accommodation and her operation in a seaway… At no point, even when hard pressed, did the Starlight attempt to gripe or show bad habits. In steep and awkward seas she surfed readily at up to 12 knots, always in good control”
“Underwater, the boat is as innovative in shape as it is in construction… Edge and fiddle details is second to none… a fine advertisement for British boat building”
"There is little doubt that the designers of the Starlight 35 achieved their basic aim to create a yacht that combines the comfort of a traditional cruising yacht with the performance of a light displacement cruiser racer and the easy handling of a substantially smaller yacht.”
Practical Boat Owner
- The boat is CE certified for category A (unlimited ocean voyages).
Hull, Deck & Superstructure Construction:
- Hand laminated GRP hull with full length interior moulding bonded to give strength to hull - contains polyurethane "closed-cell" foam, which provides buoyancy and is unique to Starlight construction - it also contributes to strength and stiffness.
- Deck has effective non-slip pattern moulded in and is securely bonded to hull, using aluminium toerail.
- Highest quality materials are used in the moulding process to give protection against osmosis.
- Self-draining cockpit featuring low bridge deck at forward end and large lazarette stowage beneath aft curved seat.
- Hull painted in white(3x white undercoat and 2x Toplac high gloss white enamel topcoat) with dark blue boottop and cavita lines – 2015
- Antifouled for 2016 season
Keel & Rudder:
- The solid lead fin keel is bolted through a deep laminated stub, using stainless steel studs and providing a deep bilge.
- Rudder is skeg mounted for strength and directional stability.
Engine & gearbox:
- 1 x Volvo Penta MD 2030 29hp 3-cylinder shaft driven diesel
- Freshwater cooled engine.
- Single lever engine control on helm pedestal
Maintenance & Performance:
- Engine hours: approx. 2,100 as of April 2016
- Date of last engine service: June 2015
- Exhaust elbow replaced Aug 2014
- New circulation pump and thermostat Sep 2013
- Inter alia main gaskets replaced Jun 2013
- Engine seacock replaced Sep 2013
Propulsion & Steering:
- Folding 3-blade propeller (2006)
- Stripper rope cutter
- Whitlock Cobra wheel steering, with elk-hide cover
- Emergency tiller.
- Hydrovane Wind self-steering (Aug 2010)
- 12vDC domestic systems with 220vAC via shore-power
- 1 x Varta 95 Amp.hr engine battery (Sep 2013)
- 2x Varta 95 Amp.hr domestic batteries joined in parallel to supply 190Ah (Sep 2013)
- Sterling battery charger
- Charging of batteries is by alternator from engine
- 40w solar panels (2010)
- Rutland 913 wind charger (2010)
- Marlec Regulator management system
- 230v shore power with isolator, circuit breaker and shore power cable
- Ring main with RCB + 5 outlets
- 12v socket in cockpit and cigar lighter at chart table
- Electric panel with circuit breakers at inner chart table with LCD readout for amps/volts
PLUMBING & GAS SYSTEMS
- The hot freshwater circuit is led into well insulated hot water tank, heated by engine or 230v AC immersion heater element.
- 1 x manual bilge pump
- 1 x automatic electric bilge pump - 2011
- Approximately 136 litres
- Fresh water capacity is approximately 200 litres (tank replaced 2011)
- 50 litres holding tanks - 2010
NAVIGATION & COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT
- Autohelm 6000 autopilot
- B&G speed, log + depth
- B&G 360º wind speed, VMG + magnified wind
- Plastimo steering compass
At Chart Table:
- Furuno 1621 Mk11 radar display
- B&G Network Data multi-repeater
- Simrad CP31 colour chart plotter with GPS
- Yeoman Pro-active chart plotter
- McMurdo ICS Nav6 Navtex
- Clock & barometer on main bulkhead
- Standard Horizon GX2100 DSC VHF & AIS (Sep 2013)
- Iridium satellite phone (Aug 2010)
- Plastimo Neptune 2-burner gas cooker with grill, oven, fiddles and pan clamps
- Insulated refrigeration system
- Galley twin sinks and mixer tap plus foot-pump
- Jabsco marine heads - 2010
- Hot & cold pressurised water supplies with shower cubicles
Heating & Ventilation:
- Webasto diesel fired hot air cabin heating – serviced 2015
- Mainly halogen lighting is used and is located in all the important positions.
- Some LED interior lighting
- Red night light at chart table
- Stereo/radio (2013)
Summary of Accommodation:
- Two double cabins plus one heads with further sea-berths in saloon
- Teak faced marine-ply with maple inlay and satin finish varnish.
- Teak and holly laminate cabin sole throughout
- Textured head linings
- Full length grab rail along port and starboard deck head
- Dark blue upholstery
- 2x lee cloths in saloon
Description of Accommodation from Forward:
- Double berth with insulated under-berth stowage. Full length shelving outboard, and large shelf over forward end. Hanging locker with fiddled shelf above. Vanity wash basin with hot and cold supply to starboard.
- Settee berths port & starboard fitted with leecloths. Starboard berth may be converted to a double. Fixed table to port side with centre storage area for bottles. Bookshelves, cupboards and lockers above port & starboard berths with stowage bins below.
- Located to starboard aft of saloon. Twin S/S sinks, Refrigerated ice-box and gimballed 2-burner gas cooker with oven and grill Ample lockers with stowage for crockery and cutlery above worktop. Large locker with wire baskets under worktop.
- Located to port aft of saloon. Chart table to suit half admiralty chart. Ample stowage for charts and books. Stowage below table and chart seat.
- Located aft of chart-table. Marine manual WC. Wash basin with hot & cold water supply. Shower with electric pump out. Shower seat above WC. Ample stowage in lockers outboard and under washbasin.
- Located aft of galley. Large double berth, hanging locker and seat. Insulated under-bunk storage and large full-length shelf with stowage bins along hull sides. En-suite access to aft heads via door beneath companionway.
- Selden deck-stepped anodised aluminium mast with 2-sets of spreaders
- Stainless steel standing rigging – replaced 2010
- IYE backstay adjuster
- Selden Furlex genoa furler
- Frederiksen low-friction ball-bearing battencar system for mainsail
- Lazyjacks with stackpack
- Selden gas-strut rod vang
- Towable genoa cars
- Lewmar mainsheet track forward of helm
- Control lines led aft to cockpit
- Deck reinforcement for fitment of inner forestay
- 4 sets of maststeps (2 at top and 2 at bottom)
- Second wire genoa halyard
- Spinnaker halyard and sheets
- Telesccopic spinnaker pole vertical stowage at mast
- 2x Lewmar 48ST primary / genoa sheet winches
- 2x Lewmar 40ST secondary / spinnaker sheet winches
- 2x Lewmar 30ST halyard / reef line winches on coach roof
- Parker & Kay fully battened mainsail, Dacron (1998, serviced 2014)
- Parker & Kay no.1 135% genoa, Dacron (1998 – repairs/replacement required)
- No.3 genoa, heavy Dacron (2010 – very good condition)
- Cruising chute, very good condition (2010)
- Pulpit and pushpit have opening for easy access on board
- Double stainless lifelines.
- Transom boarding ladder
- Boarding gates
Anchoring & Mooring:
- Quick Electric anchor windlass (Jul 2014)
- CQR bow anchor with 70m x 8mm chain
- Fortress kedge anchor with 5m chain and 50m warp
- CQR spare kedge anchor
- Various warps and fenders
Covers, Cushions & Canvas:
- Blue stakpack mainsail cover
- Blue sprayhood (serviced and windows replaced April 2014) with hide-covered grab rail
Tender & Outboard:
- Zodiac 270 dinghy
- Tohatsu 3.5hp outboard (serviced July 2014)
- Tricolour navigation lights
- Horseshoe lifebuoy with light
- RCD Seasava 6 person liferaft (serviced Apr 2014) - canister on pushpit
- McMurdo G4 auto EPIRB with GPS (requires change of battery)
- Manual gas detector
- 4x harnesses
- Plastimo danbuoy
- Seame Active radar reflector (2010)
- Selden Visiball masthead radar reflector
- Fire blanket
Lying Bursledon – Nr Southampton
Available to view strictly by appointment
Office Hours Mon- Fri 0900 – 17.00
Saturday by prior appointment
For more information or to arrange a viewing please contact us.
Please Note: Due to the varying locations of our yachts, your travel time and the distances that may be involved, we recommend that you only make arrangements to view if you are actively considering purchase.
Tel: +44 (0)1590 673715 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact Alex Grabau at +44(0)1590 673715
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Builder: Rival Bowman
Designer: Stephen Jones
Hull Shape: Monohull
LOA: 11.0 m
Beam: 3.60 m
LWL: 8.56 m
Minimum Draft: 1.80 m
Maximum Draft: 1.80 m
Displacement: 5993 kgs
Ballast: 2406 kgs
Total Power: 29 HP
Engine Brand: Volvo
Year Built: 1998
Engine Model: MD2030B
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 2100
Propeller: Folding propeller
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 29 HP
Fresh Water Tanks: (200 Liters)
Fuel Tanks: (136 Liters)
Holding Tanks: (50 Liters)
Number of single berths: 2
Number of double berths: 2
Number of cabins: 2
Number of heads: 1
Number of bathrooms: 1
Wind speed and direction
Fully battened mainsail
Manual bilge pump
Electric bilge pump
Shore power inlet
Electrical Circuit: 12V
Outboard engine brackets
Total Liferaft Capacity: 6
Grabau International offers the details of all vessels in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information or warranty the condition of any vessel and the details do not constitute a part of any contract. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. All vessels are offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice. Grabau International provides professional yacht conveyancing and legal transfer of title for all yachts as per the ABYA Code of Practice with all deposit payments and final balance payments processed through secure dedicated client accounts solely for that purpose. Our dedicated client accounts are written in trust at Natwest Bank and we are fully insured.
Other Boats from Grabau International
Lymington, Hampshire, United Kingdom
Ocean Star 56.1
River Hamble Area, Hampshire, United Kingdom
Hamble, Hampshire, United Kingdom
Poole, Dorset, United Kingdom
Ardfern, Argyll & Bute, United Kingdom