- View Full Specifications
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Rockport, ME
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- US$ 725,000
No need to wait for a new build when you could step aboard "FREE SPIRIT" and sail to far horizons. One owner, professionally maintained in A-1 condition with many sail handling and equipment upgrades. Easily mistaken for a new boat, this is a rare opportunity for a blue water sailor who wants the best. Many custom touches will continue to draw admiring looks and praise for years to come. A must see!!
Specializing in Used Hinckley Boat Sales, please call me, WYTHE INGEBRITSON: Cell: 207-664-8111 Office: 207-244-5531 or E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on the used power or sailboat Hinckley market.
HINCKLEY BROKERAGE OFFICES:
- SOUTHWEST HARBOR-ME:
- Broker: Bob Pooler Cell: 207-460-7589 or email@example.com Office: 207-244-5531
- Broker: Wythe Ingebritson Cell: 207-664-8111 or firstname.lastname@example.org Office: 207-244-5531
- PORTSMOUTH, RI:
- Broker: Joe Dwyer Cell: 401-578-2919 or email@example.com Office: 401-683-7005
- ANNAPOLIS, MD:
- Broker: Jack Erbes Cell: 401-418-2188 or firstname.lastname@example.org Office: 410-263-0095
- Broker: Tripper Vincent Cell: 561-262-3900 or email@example.com Office: 772-403-5387
- Broker: Whitney Brackin Cell: 205-389-0944 or firstname.lastname@example.org Office: 239-261-2879
- HARBOR SPRINGS-MI:
- Broker: Marty Letts Cell: 231-330-3680 or email@example.com Office: 231-526-4378
Please contact Wythe Ingebritson at 207-244-5531
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Builder: Hinckley Yachts
Designer: McCurdy & Rhodes
LOA: 42 ft 9 in
Beam: 12 ft 6 in
Minimum Draft: 5 ft 0 in
Maximum Draft: 9 ft 2 in
Displacement: 23500 lbs
Ballast: 9000 lbs
Total Power: 50 HP
Engine Brand: Yanmar
Engine Model: 4JH2E diesel
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 1478
Propeller: 3 blade propeller
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 50 HP
Cruising Speed: 7 knots
Maximum Speed: 7 knots
Fresh Water Tanks: (140 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: (50 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: 1
Number of single berths: 2
Number of double berths: 2
Number of cabins: 2
Number of heads: 1
The Sou’wester 42 is a timeless model within the Hinckley lineup, one that has been admired for its beauty and sailing characteristics around the world. Many Sou’wester 42’s have sailed the globe, but of the 78 built in total, FREE SPIRIT is one of the most desirable since she has only been used seasonally in New England. In every way she is appointed, equipped, and has always been maintained, to the highest standards. Only one person or family will become the next owner of FREE SPIRIT, but many will regret not buying her when they had the chance.
HULL and DECK
- Topsides: Flag Blue Awlgrip
- Bootstripe: Double White
- Cove: Gold leaf
- Bottom: Blue
- House & Deck: White gelcoat with Camel Brown molded in nonskid
- Exterior trim: Varnished teak
The Hull is a composite construction of Kevlar/E-glass inner and outer skins, with foam core that is SCRIMPed with a 100% vinylester Resin. The Deck is E-glass and balsa core, SCRIMPed with 100% vinylester resin.
The hull is laid up with a 4" recessed flange to receive the deck which is bonded to this surface with reinforced polyester adhesive and thru-bolted on 8' centers with additional fastenings in the area of toe rail tracks, thus assuring a strong, permanent and watertight hull/deck joint.
- Keel: 9,000 lb. molded lead keel is secured to the hull with 1" stainless steel bolts.
- Centerboard: Molded solid fiberglass
- Rudder: Skeg-hung rudder.
- Marelon ball-valve type seacocks are flush with the hull.
- Guardrail: Varnished teak at sheer and with solid stainless steel half oval
- All stainless steel deck hardware, including SS 10” springline cleats port/starboard
- Stainless steel bow and stern pulpits, with integrated stern folding teak tread boarding ladder and varnished teak removable bow pulpit seat
- Stainless steel stanchions with double lifelines and port and stbd boarding gates
- Double-side opening hatches with smoked plexiglass covers – include custom butterfly hatch.
- Forward partitioned anchor locker has direct drainage to the bilge; 2nd anchor rode deck pipe fitting
- Varnished teak, double dorade box with two dorade ventilators with closures and a small covered storage area between
- Saltwater deck wash
- Fresh water deck shower with hose and mixing valve in lazarette – spigot in stbd aft coaming.
- Stainless steel bow roller for CQR anchor
The aft T-shaped teak-lined cockpit coaming with custom inlay is wider adjacent to the wheel for comfortable outboard seating for the helmsman. The water-sealed opening cockpit seats have molded nonskid. The cockpit has a teak sole. The sail and equipment locker to port has a stainless steel line rack, a custom light and can be secured with a lock operated from the main cabin. Cockpit includes a propane locker with vent. There are four stainless steel trimmed winch pockets in the coaming.
Pedestal wheel steering has a 42" Schmitt stainless steel destroyer type wheel with an elkhide covered rim, SS guardrail, engine controls, watertight 12-volt outlet and a stainless steel housed 6” binnacle compass and binnacle guard. A helm step is flush when not in use. A complete range of engine instruments and switches are recessed in locations handy to the helmsman. Sailing instruments are above the companionway and in the forward bulkhead.
- Cockpit Dodger – Sunbrella Linen with zipper forward window and stainless steel grab rail covered in elk hide.
- Cockpit Cushions
- Cockpit table - pedestal mounted, varnished teak fold-down cockpit table
- Drink holder - pedestal mounted, varnished teak
- Boom light – over cockpit
ELECTRONICS & NAVIGATION EQUIPMENT
- Raymarine ST6002 Autopilot in cockpit
- Radar –Furuno FMD811 in cockpit with removable SS bracket and mast antennas. Furuno GA AsFet front-end 8 tone daylight display (below).
- Northstar 951X GPS/Chartplotter with combo antenna and sensor – All interfaced with radar, GPS and autopilot
- VHF – ICOM M126 DSC radio
- SSB – ICOM M710 radio – MF/HF - with insulated backstay and AT-130\E coupler
- Robertson Dataline X Central – 360⁰ wind, digital speed, digital depth and multi - in Cockpit with main in Nav Station
- Ritchie 6” compass – binnacle
- Alpine AM/FM/CD/Cassette TDA 7552 stereo – and remote multiple CD changer
- 2 speaker pairs – (1) main salon and (1) cockpit
- Toshiba TV
- Cable TV/phone jack – with selector switch
FREE SPIRIT has a 42 MKII standard Dinette arrangement that sleeps up to six in two cabins with a total of three separate sleeping areas. Finished in satin-varnished cherry with gloss highlights, with louvered cherry locker fronts, white formica overhead with dome lights and gloss varnished teak and holly sole throughout. All hanging lockers are cedar-lined. Integrated varnished cherry full-length handrails below the ports.
- Espar D3L diesel heater – with exhaust on deck, outlets in main salon, head and forward cabin
- (1) Custom classic butterfly overhead hatch with screen – on varnished teak base
- (1) Double-opening overhead hatch with screen
- (1) Opening port with screen in head provides extra light and ventilation.
- Clear-top companionway board slide
- Fixed ports that provide illumination
- Two screened dorade vents with closures and cherry rings
- (3) Hella fans
- 12-volt lighting includes Frigast lights
- Hunter Green #4142 UltraSuede interior cushions – with matching green Sunbrella sailing covers.
Forward access to the partitioned rope/chain forepeak storage area is through a louvered cherry door. There is a separate private entrance to the head.
- Forward is a large V-berth with adapter to form a double berth – 6” Cushions w/1” soft top
- Two large storage drawers under berth
- Sliding vented door lockers over berths outboard port and starboard
- There is a 3-drawer bureau to port and additional locker storage over
- Full-length cedar-lined hanging locker is to starboard with dome light.
- Two ports and a double opening hatch with screen and translucent cover
- Full-length mirror on inside of cabin door
- Hella fan
- Frigast 12-volt lights and one dome halogen overhead
Next aft to port, the head is finished in White gelcoat and varnished cherry with cherry locker doors and cherry trim and easily cleaned. There is a screened opening port and a screened dorade vent opening with shut off.
- Cherry with gloss varnish countertop with white sink
- Faucet with pull-out shower mixer, hot & cold pressure water
- Large one-shelf locker outboard with two cherry varnished sliding doors.
- Vacuflush flush marine head plumbed to a holding tank
- Stainless steel handrail/towel bars and clothes hooks
- Halogen light over sink and three Cantalupy Roby lights over mirror
Amidships, this full-width cabin has a U-shaped dinette to port. The fold-down, varnished cherry table has custom inlay and custom bottle storage.
- Custom outboard dinette seat has an insert to form a double berth. There is storage behind this berth.
- Two custom halogen lights are over the dining table with a dimmer control.
- Over outboard are three lockers with custom storage set-up.
To Starboard: Forward is a full-length cedar-lined hanging locker with dome light. Aft of the hanging locker is a two-drawer cabinet with a locker above. Continuing aft there is a curved settee/transom berth that pulls inboard with storage behind and two lockers and center “hideaway” entertainment center over outboard. There is custom wine glass storage in the forward stbd locker.
- Two stereo speakers.
- There is an 110V outlet and TV antenna 12-volt outlet.
- Hella 12V fan, stainless steel Ocean Frigast lights, overhead dome lights.
Next to port, the Galley is separated from the main saloon by a 5/8’s bulkhead with a varnished cherry cut-out grab rail.
The U-shaped galley:
- Forward: Cameo White Corian countertop with molded backsplash, undermounted stainless steel double sink with covers, faucet with hot & cold pressure water, manual freshwater hand pump.
- Outboard: Gimbaled 3-burner stainless steel Force 10 propane stove with oven & broiler and flush Corian stove cover in a stainless steel enclosure with solenoid shut-off, and trap storage forward. A Panasonic microwave stores in forward outboard locker.
- Aft: Grunert AR-50 refrigeration system (engine drive compressor) with separate refrigeration/freezer box system entered through traps in the countertop allowing for plenty of counter workspace.
- Lockers, bin, shelves and drawer storage areas are available for foodstores and galleyware. There is a pull-out trash bin and there is a built-in dustpan in the cabin sole.
To port, opposite the galley and aft of the main salon settee is the forward-facing nav area separated by a partial bulkhead from the main salon.
- Opening nav table for storage of charts, as well as storage drawers and in a cushioned nav seat.
- Custom cherry cabinet forward houses nav electronics
- Electrical panel and gauges
- Red/white dome light
- 110-volt outlet
- NMEA outlet for computer
- Nav instruments and electronics
The Quarterberth area is aft of the Nav Station with cherry sheathing lining the area outboard. A single berth has storage lockers and bookshelf over outboard. The hot water tank is located in a locker at the aft end of the berth. Area includes a 12-volt Hella fan, a stainless steel Ocean Frigast light, and an overhead dome light. A custom portlight opens to the cockpit.
COCKPIT COMPANIONWAY - is aft, on center with clear top companionway board overhead and port and starboard handrails. Below the companionway threshold there is a custom cherry flip-down louvered locker door enclosing a substantial equipment alcove.
12 volt DC electrical system
- Engine start: 500 cold-crank amp capacity batteries
- House: 380 amp/hr capacity – Gel Cell Prevailer batteries
- A dual output 140 amp alternator is mounted on the main engine.
- Emergency starting
110 volt AC System:
- Heart Link 2000 interface Inverter Charger – Nav Station
- 110-volt outlets (galley, nav, head, V-berth, salon)
- 50-ft 30-amp cord with, 30-50 adapter and inlet.
All circuits are circuit breaker protected at the nav station panel that is equipped with both voltmeter and ampmeter. Master switches are provided for starting and lighting circuits. All circuits, major mechanical components and rigging are grounded with heavy copper strapping to the keel and the mast is lightning protected as well.
SAILS and RIGGING
- Custom Hinckley built aluminum spar with double spreaders – painted to match deck
- Forespar Leisure Furl boom
- Navtec stainless steel rod rigging
- Harken II headstay with roller-furling
- Navtec hydraulic backstay adjuster - with remote panel in cockpit
- Removable inner forestay – with halyard, additional tracks and running backstays
- Stainless steel genoa tracks
- Tides marine track on mast
- Masthead includes a 5-function tri-color 360° masthead light, windex and TV/FM antenna.
WINCHES: (8) Lewmar winches
- #58 manual primary winches
- #50 electric secondary winches
- #44 halyard winch + separate smaller control winch
- (2) #44 Jib winches - mast mounted
SAILS: All North sails
- Main – Norlan, 7oz full batten, with batt slides, foot shelf and 2 reef points
- #2 Genoa, 130% Norlam, with foam luff and UV cover
- #3 Genoa – 105% Dacron
Yanmar 4JH2E FWC 50-hp diesel engine with 2:1 reduction gear, Aquamet 22 stainless steel shaft with spurs and 3-blade feathering Maxi-prop.
- Racor fuel filter
- Remote fuel gauges
- Engine alarm oil/overheat, tachometer, oil & temperature
- Oil transfer pump
- Espar D3L heater – outlets in galley, dinette, head and forward cabin
- (1) 12-volt DC automatic electric bilge pumps and (1) cockpit manual bilge pump. Bilge pump timer shows useage
- Emergency tiller steering
- Deckwash – Saltwater pressure system with spigot deck mounted – Jabsco 6900 pump
- Hot and cold pressure water system
- 12-gallon hot water tank - stainless steel, engine heated, 120V-AC element
- Marine electric flush head with holding tank and discharge pump – deck and overboard pumpout
- Sealand Tank Watch II level monitor system
- Fiberglass sump tank with 12VDC pump discharge
- Engine room blower and acoustical insulation
- Automatic fire extinguisher – engine compartment
- Tank Tender
- Simpson Lawrence Anchorman windlass – with chain wildcat
- 45# CQR anchor in SS bow roller
- 15’ chain x 200’ nylon rode
- 200’ chain x 5/16” HT grade 40 galvanized
- 25# Danforth anchor – sail locker
- White Horseshoe lifering on SS bracket
- Horn – 12VDC trumpet
- Fire extinguishers
- Outboard motor bracket – mounts on stern pulpit – varnished with chain plates
- Varnished teak ensign staff
- Fenders with covers
- Covers for helm wheel & pedestal and butterfly hatch
- Sunbrella sea covers for salon upholstery.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
Other Boats from Hinckley Yacht Brokerage
Sou'wester 42 MKII Sloop
Southwest Harbor, ME, United States
Sou'wester 42 Aft Cabin Sloop
Southwest Harbor, ME, United States
Sou'wester 42 Yawl
Southwest Harbor, ME, United States
Bermuda 40 MK III Yawl
Bucks Harbor, ME, United States
Pilot 35 Sloop
Southwest Harbor, ME, United States
Pilot 35 Sloop
Southwest Harbor, ME, United States