- View Full Specifications
Price just reduced
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Torquay, Devon, United Kingdom
- Hull Material:
- Last Listed Price:
- £ 45,000 (US$ 56,133)
Built in 1989 by Martin Heard, this heavy displacement, long keel gaff cutter has been maintained to the highest possible standard and is probably the best equipped Heard 28 available today.
Comprehensive professional refit completed during 2014, which included topsides repainted in dark blue and epoxy/copper coat applied to bottom. Comprehensive Raymarine electronics installed including AIS Raymarine 12" chart plotter and Evo autopilot, also new Maxpower bow thruster fitted and Lofrans Cayman power windlass. Specification includes Beta 35hp engine, full rewire with Sterling battery charger and four new batteries, re-caulked teak decks and much more.
Fully optimised topsail gaff cutter rig, with power windlass also set up for lifting bow sprit and for bosun chair activity. With self-tail winches and efficient slab reefing, this traditional gaffer can be sailed single handed with confidence.Cockpit now converted to self-drain, with sump and auto-pump, Webasto heating, Isothem.
A classic yacht not to be missed - this is an exceptional example of the Heard 28 at £45,000 o.n.o.
Call Mike Lucas for more info.
I bought Majala to have a fast and sea kindly yacht for single / short handed sailing.
She has proved an absolute joy. Her 43 feet of sail length on a 28 foot hull gives her massive power and alongside her long hull and heavy ballast makes for a remarkably fast and sea kindly yacht, whether in heavy winds and seas or in light airs. Her gaff rig also allows a range of sail to be carried to suit conditions in a very easy manner. Her long but relatively shallow draft (5.1 feet) allows for endless exploring of coastal estuaries far and wide.
A lot of thought went into adding a range of features to enable her to be safely and enjoyably sailed single handedly: powerful Raymarine navigation, auto helm and remote control, electronic anchor with remote control & even a bow thruster. The effect of these additions is to give me a second or even third virtual person when sailing alone, whether in the open sea, close to shore or coming in to estuaries and then anchoring or coming alongside pontoons. This achieved my desire to have a beautiful boat I could confidently sail alone, both because there is a great pleasure in single handed sailing and also so as not to be dependent on crew.
So many happy memories, whether of sailing contemplatively alone or with family & friends. She is equally enjoyable on a fast, exhilarating sail or to live aboard days on end quietly up unspoilt creeks in Devon & Cornwall. And at the end of the day what better than a whiskey in the spacious cockpit watching the sun set or in the snug of the saloon with dinner cooking.
Change in personal circumstances requires a totally unexpected sale of Majala - with much regret, but with so many happy memories.
Please contact Mike Lucas at +44 (0)1803 212818
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Builder: Gaffers and Luggers
Designer: Martin Heard
LOA: 27 ft 10 in
Beam: 10 ft 2 in
Maximum Draft: 4 ft 11 in
Displacement: 8164 kgs
Ballast: 4536 kgs
Total Power: 35 HP
Engine Brand: Beta
Engine Model: 35
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 1100
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 35 HP
Fresh Water Tanks: 1 (120 Liters)
Fuel Tanks: 2 (42 Liters)
Number of single berths: 4
Number of double berths: 1
Number of heads: 1
Total Liferaft Capacity: 6
Hull and Deck
- Fibreglass hull with teak clad deck over marine ply.
- All deck caulking removed and renewed by local boatbuilder in the spring of 2013.
- Rubbing strakes, capping rail and boom crutch in varnished teak, newly stripped and revarnished in 2014.
- Cockpit now includes special sump fitted with auto bilge pump (2014), which provides effective self-drain facility.
- Gearbox PRM 80 2.5 / 1 reduction.
- 1.25ins drive shaft with four hole clamp coupling driving a 3 BRH 17 x 10 propellor.
- 100 amp alternator with polyvee drive.
- Freshwater cooling.
- Engine hours as at September 2015 - 1100 hrs approx.
- Various engine spares;- filters, belts, anodes, seals etc.
- Deluxe control panel with following instrumentation;-
- Rev counter hours meter.
- Oil pressure gauge.
- Water temperature gauge.
- Ignition pre-heat and warning lights.
- Stainless steel Sigmar marine water heater 25 litre capacity plumbed to engine.
- 240 volt ac electric heating element installed to heater also.
- Two of Series C 42 litre fuel tanks gravity feed to engine. Tanks fitted to port and starboard with separate deck fittings, water separator filters, coarse and fine.
- Strainers and fine filters to switchable independent supply lines to engine.
- Power management panel fitted at chart table.
- All wiring overhauled/replaced 2014.
- 4 new batteries supplied and fitted 2014.
- Sterling 20A battery charger fitted 2014.
- Cockpit flush mounted Garmin 128 GPS.
- Cockpit flush mounted Raymarine ST 40 log (2014).
- Cockpit flush mounted Raymarine ST 40 depth sounder (2014).
- Tacktick wind direction/speed (2014).
- Plastimo compass with backlight.
- Fuel gauges for port and starboard tanks.
- Raymarine E125 12.5" chart plotter, plus gold card and GPS (2014).
- Raymarine EVO autopilot with P70 compass and gyro, plus remote control (2014).
- AIS transceiver (receive and transmit) - VHF/gps interface (2014).
- Icom DSC VHF IC M505 radio, chart table, speaker is switchable to cockpit speaker (2014).
- VHF live wired to GPS unit with VHF digital screen showing GPS coordinates at nav station.
- Lights panel with illuminated boat schematics.
- Hygro thermometer digital clock with inside and outside temperature readings.
- Auto bilge pump switch and alarm (2014), also self-drain cockpit switch at chart table.
- Alpine C DE 9841R CD stereo radio with switchable interior and cockpit stereo speakers.
- Cllipper Navtex and 12 volt charging socket.
- 12 volt flexible stalk LED red/white chart light.
- Navigation table is Admiralty small chart folio size with hinged lid and chart stowage under.
- Maxpower CT80 bow thruster, with control panel and joystick control (2014).
- 12 volt LED lighting to main cabin, forward cabin, engine bay and cool box.
- 12 volt LED red white stalk lighting to nav station and galley
- 3 of gimballed brass weighted oil lamps with heat reflectors to main cabin.
- Mains lighting circuit to boat with MCB panel.
- 240 volt ac halogen downlighters 6 in main cabin and 3 in forward cabin
- 13 amp ring main fitted to boat with MCB panel and 3 double sockets in
- Satin black finish.
- New worktop to galley with inset s/s sink and s/s cooker. Cool box fitted near galley with Isotherm ASU refrigeration (2014).
- Storage under cooker, cutlery draws and cupboards under sink. Chrome mixer tap to sink.
- Screw down bronze roof ventilator over cooker position.
- Techimpex s.s. two burner stove with gimbals and pan clamps, grill and oven (2006).
- Fuel is calor gas - new hoses and tested 2014 by Gas Safe Marine.
- 12 volt pumped cold water supply from s/s 120 litre underfloor water tank hot water supply from 25 litre insulated s/s calorifier from engine or mains electric heater.
- Main cabin, Simpson Lawrence bronze portholes x 4, 2 to port, 2 to starboard.
- Bronze opening hatch to main cabin roof.
- Glazed sliding hatch over companionway.
- Bronze opening hatch to forward cabin roof.
- Eberspacher 2 outlet fitted (2014).
- From companionway, four steps down into main cabin. L shaped galley to port with oak worktop, splashback and surround.
- Zip up fabric door to wet locker to starboard with two inset shelves above.
- Nav station to starboard with aft facing nav table. Setteee to starboard with end forming seat to nav station.
- Forward end of settee has half bulkhead and timber grab post.
- From galley to port half bulkhead separating the dining area. Settee for four with drop down table to form double berth. Table raises to ceiling height to stow if required.
- Stowage under all settees and also behind settee backs.
- To port and starboard outboard of the seating are further stowage shelves.
- Through dividing bulkhead into forward cabin.
- All saloon cushions, bases and backs, replaced with new foam and covered in petrol blue coloured eco suede. Piping to top face and draincloth mesh to underside. All new in August 2013.
- Jabsco marine toilet to port new in 2010.
- Wardrobe and clothes stowage to starboard.
- V berth in forward cabin with infil to form double berth with shelving under.
- 4 ins foam cushions to forpeak
- Chain locker under berth. Hawse pipe and Sampson post forward of berth and sail stowage forward.
- Cockpit table over Lagun folding mount.
- Iroko grating to cockpit floor, lift up floor panels to access engine bay and self-drain cockpit.
- Lockers under seats forward, port and starboard and also under bench seats aft.
- Stern locker and a further two side lockers.
- Gas bottle stowage in lazarette vented overboard.
- Instruments to starboard in cockpit, engine panel and fuel gauges to port in cockpit.
- Morse single lever engine controls floor mounted to port side of cockpit seating.
- Calorifier accessed under cockpit floor.
- Lewmar self-tailing winches mounted outboard of cockpit coaming, two to each side (2014).
- Floating winch handles (2014).
- Working jib sheet winches new in 2007.
- Hardwood tiller demountable from transom hung rudder.
- Steel emergency tiller.
- Collapsible sprayhood in Admiral Navy acrylic canvas, new in 2009
- s/s mounts and bars for cockpit tent.
- Boom crutch mounted aft of cockpit. GPS and Navtex aerial mounted to rear of boom crutch.
- Water filler and mixer shower in cockpit locker.
- Folding boarding ladder fixed to transom on starboard side.
- Teak seats for outboard of cockpit coaming.
Sails and deck equipment
- Vessel is gaffed rigged with, keel stepped, single wooden mast.
- Mainsail is cream coloured , loose footed to boom.
- Slab reefing with three reefs with reefing lines lead to boom mounted winch, through Spinlock clutches.
- Lewmar self-tail winches for jib ST30 and staysail ST16 (2014), c/w light weight locking handles.
- Cream coloured staysail mounted on gammon sprit forward of the stemhead piston hanked to forestay.
- Working jib in blue and cream coloured stripes mounted to Karver furler (2014) on traveller to bowsprit. Working jib new in 2009 by Dart Sails (edging replaced 2015).
- Topsail is also blue and cream stripes set on aluminum spar stored in full length zipped bag to starboard side of boom. Topsail new in June 2010 by Dart Sails.
- All spars and mast in Columbian pine. Gaff new in 2009. All spars varnished.
- Sail covers to main, new in August 2013 and staysail in Admiral navy acrylic canvas, new in 2010.
- Close fitting cockpit cover in Linen coloured waterproof PU coated acrylic canvas with shock cord lacing to lacing eyes fitted to underside of capping rail. New in July 2013.
- Full length two part awning cover to deck suspended over boom and zipped to fordeck cover also in Linen coloured PU coated acrylic canvas. New in July 2013.
- Bowsprit can be hoisted to upright position to reduce overall length from 43ft to 28ft, using the power windlass.
- Stainless steel rigging bottlescrews and chainplates. Laminated timber spreaders with cap shrouds. Forward lowers and aft lowers and forstay, new in 2006.
- Running backstays to masthead with 4:1 lewmar blocks and jammers, new in 2007.
- Bobstay and whiskers to bowsprit tensioned with 4:1 lewmar blocks, new in 2007.
- Forestay replaced in 2010 by Barry hollis Rigging Services and standing rig fully checked.
- All running rigging to belaying pins at mast foot (mostly new 2013/14).
- Lazyjacks in dyneema, to control mainsail and gaff (2014).
- Rigging surveyed/repaired (2014).
- Cross tree renewal (2014).
- Lofrans Cayman power windlass with foredeck switches and remote control - also set up for lifting bowsprit single-handed. Also with 60 metres of 10mm calibrated galvanised chain.
- 35 lbs Simpson Lawrence CQR in deck chocks.
- 25 lbs fisherman anchor and 25lbs Danforth anchor and a further 30metres of 10mm calibrated chain stored aft in cockpit locker.
- 56 lbs Chum weight and shackle fitments also carried.
- Stern light, Masthead all round white light and masthead tricolour.
- Shroud mounted light boxes with additional port and starboard lights.
- All 12 volt DC
- Firdell Blipper masthead mounted radar reflector.
- Masthead VHF aerial.
- Plastimo Cruiser ORC 6 person liferaft Type 27984 mounted in hard case in cradle on cabin roof.
- 12 volt DC Rule 3700 bilge pump (2014) complete with Rule Auto heavy duty float switch. All sump mounted.
- Whale Gusher hand operated bilge pump, strum box mounted in sump.
- Engine water inlet strainer mounted in main cabin for easy accessibility.
- Beaching legs with s/s securing bolts and s/s ladder pegs to leg.
- Vessel underwater area stripped of anti-fouling by SymBlast in 2013 and painted with three coats of epoxy.
- Hull meter readings available.
- Bilge pumps - auto and self-drain cockpit (2014) plus manual.
Dinghy and outboard
Honwave 2.7m air v-floor inflatable new September 2014 Serial No. 1201929
Mercury F3.5m Outboard new September 2014 Serial No OR568647
Bracket for outboard motor at boom crutch frame, plus lift tackle for outboard.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.