- Video Gallery
- View Full Specifications
Ultimate Cruising Trimaran!
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- US$ 179,900
Now in Fort Lauderdale, this proven, safe, and fast ocean-cruising Trimaran, beautifully maintained and continually up-graded has now reluctantly been placed on the market by her knowledgeable owners!
The Chris White 55 is a very specific yacht for a very specific type of sailor, able to make extended ocean passages as a very quick, safe and easily handled vessel. She is equipped with a very comfortable and seamanlike interior with attractive natural timber finishes, solar panels and a wind generator for electrical self-sufficiency and good ventilation. The designer commented that “she is long in order to provide comfort sailing in the ocean, wide for stability in extreme conditions, but simple in construction, accommodation and systems. She’s an excellent performer, and has a very comfortable motion in waves”. The concept of the Juniper 2 is a new design incorporating several refinements and improvements from her predecessor. She is wider overall, has a longer and finer bow, and uses a balanced spade rudder instead an outboard hung rudder. Aesthetic details such as the crossbeams and their fairings and the sheer line were refined. The hull underwater shape has less wetted surface than the original and the fin and rudder sections were refined for less drag. The interior layout was refined to increase elbow room and now incorporates a dedicated shower stall. Incorporating a ketch rig that is an absolute joy to handle, tacking is a matter of just turning the wheel. The crossbeams are very high above the water and there are no cabin projections beyond the hull sides. These features eliminate pounding in rough seas, contribute to her comfort underway, and was designed and built for safety and survivability offshore. Her interior and exterior finish is excellent. All systems and equipment were installed and have been carefully maintained and upgraded with an eye for simplicity, reliability and serviceability.
Edwards Yacht Sales on Facebook
Edwards Yacht Sales on Facebook!
Out of State Buyers can buy and use their boat in Beautiful Florida for 180 Days with No Florida Sales/Use Tax - Ask me how!
Contact: KIRK MUTER @ (954) 649-4679 Cell, Based in Beautiful Fort Lauderdale
Edwards Yacht Sales Email: Kirk@EdwardsYachtSales.com
Click here to search for more Yachts!
Please contact Kirk Muter at 954-649-4679
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Builder: Don and Tamar Clark
Designer: Chris White
Flag of Registry: United States
Hull Shape: Trimaran
LOA: 54 ft 6 in
Beam: 31 ft 6 in
LWL: 51 ft 0 in
Maximum Draft: 4 ft 6 in
Displacement: 14500 lbs
Bridge Clearance: 55 ft 0 in
Total Power: 27 HP
Engine Brand: Isuzu
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 3006
Propeller: Folding propeller
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 27 HP
Fresh Water Tanks: Fiberglass (90 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: Fiberglass (30 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: Plastic (30 Gallons)
Number of single berths: 2
Number of double berths: 2
Number of cabins: 3
Number of heads: 1
Vessel Description and Specifications
As you enter the cockpit area, you will find comfortable seating on both sides, and a sun-blocking custom hard bimini, and removable side curtains. The protected helm is well situated to the port side of the companionway which leads to the main cabin, where the accommodation spaces are attractively finished with varnished Alaska yellow cedar hull surfaces and wood trim throughout. The overhead and bulkheads are coated with polyurethane paint.
Entering the aft cabin through the aft crossbeam bulkhead, there is a navigation station on the port side equipped with a 50" x 25" varnished black walnut chart table with flat chart storage beneath. The electronics area is above the chart table. A wet gear locker is also located on the Port side. Large windows to port and starboard provide excellent visibility and light. An aft double berth is located in the aft portion of the compartment. There is storage below and aft of the berth. Two electric fans are provided in the aft berth area.
Next on both port and starboard sides is the galley. The aft port portion of this section houses the head compartment. The head is fitted with a stainless steel sink, a vanity with laminate counter top and stowage under. A mirror and cabinet are provided over the sink. There is a manual marine head with "Y" valve for selectable discharge either overboard or to a 30 gallon holding tank. The holding tank is located in the aft portion of the port float, ensuring that no odor will reach the living area.
Next, through the forward crossbeam bulkhead is the salon/dinette area. Settees are fitted on each side of a varnished black walnut drop leaf table. The settees are 7' long and also function as single berths. Ample stowage is provided beneath the seats and the cabin sole.
Next, forward of the salon area is the master cabin fitted with a 7’ long double berth with storage below, a large #10 hatch providing light and ventilation, (2) portlights, (2) reading lights, and fans.
The forepeak houses the shower area including an on-demand hot water system. The water-maker is also installed in this compartment
- Laminate counter top
- Flush mounted double sink
- Fresh and salt water supplied by Whale Gusher foot pumps
- Pressure water supplied by in-line pressure pump
- Multiple drawers, cabinets and storage bins beneath the counter areas
- Shipmate stainless steel 4-burner propane stove/oven/broiler
- 2 x 10 lb. aluminum propane storage bottles in ventilated locker with solenoid shutoff
- Well insulated super-efficient top-opening refrigerator with Adler Barbour 12 volt compressor and holding plate
Design and Construction
- Open wing design with (2) crossbeams
- Low aspect keel on main hull
- Balanced hydrofoil section spade rudder operated by Edson pull-pull cable steering system with stainless steel wheel
- Sterling paint on hull and topsides
- Hulls and decks are vacuum bagged triple diagonal Alaska Yellow Cedar using WEST System® epoxy resin with glass/epoxy exterior skin
- Crossbeams are epoxy laminated Douglas Fir and marine plywood
- Sterling® polyurethane exterior finish with contrasting boot top.
- Epoxy/glass composite rudder blade with solid marine grade stainless steel stock turning in low friction bushings
- 3 x coats Micron 66 antifouling paint.
Sails and Rig
- Freestanding ketch rig provides effortless tacking and superb offshore reliability
- Tapered hollow wood/carbon fiber epoxy masts
- Custom Lazy Jacks
- Innovative sleeve luff sails are efficient and allow conventional slab reefing
- Custom gooseneck fittings allow the sails to be luffed on any point of sail to reef or lower sails
- Mainsail (450 sq ft) by Haarstick Sails, 2008, Dacron cloth. 3 x reef points, fiberglass battens, rugged construction details, sleeve luff
- Mizzen (450 sq ft) by Haarstick Sails 2008 Dacron cloth. 3 x reef points, fiberglass battens, rugged construction details, sleeve luff
- Mizzen staysail (500 sq ft)
- Mainsail and mizzen covers in Sunbrella fabric 2014
- New main halyards 2015
Deck and Hull Equipment
- (2) Lewmar Ocean Series # 43 CST (chrome self-tailing) main sheet and mizzen sheet winches
- Lewmar #30 CST dedicated vang/preventer winch
- (1) Lewmar #40 CST halyard winches
- New Lewmar 46 EST electric winch 2014
- Custom Atlantic tower arch amidships
- Dyneema netting –all trampolines 2011
- Custom stainless steel bow pulpit
- (2) 12" mooring cleats
- (6) 10" dock cleats
- Bulkhead mounted Edson wheel with wheel brake, adjacent engine controls, compass and sailing instruments
- (4) Lewmar deck hatches over the main hull, with screens
- Custom deck hatch in each float to access stowage space
- Opening port in head
- (2) opening ports in shower
- Aluminun dual anchor rollers
- Self-bailing deck lockers behind forward crossbeam for anchors and rode.
- (2) 35 lb. CQR Plow anchors, each with 20' chain and 150' x 3/4" nylon rode.
- (1) 40 lb. Danforth hi-tensile anchor
- (1) Fortress FX55 storm anchor
- 200' x 3/4" spare anchor rode
- (4) dock lines, 30' x 1/2" braided rope with spliced ends,
- (5) Par 10" x 24" fenders
- Custom Bimini with removable clear side curtains
- Shade cloths (80% shade) for sides and back of Bimini for use at anchor
- Removable cockpit dining table
- Deck awning
- Stainless steel swim ladder
- Dinghy chocks, power winch lift
- In-line transmission with 2:1 reduction
- Vibration damping engine mounts
- PSS dripless shaft seal, new 2003
- Vibration damping Aquadrive® thrust bearing between transmission and stuffing box.
- Shaft coupling.
- Instrument panel with tachometer and engine monitoring gauges and alarms
- Primary and secondary fuel filters
- Raw water strainer
- Fiberglass "Aqualift" exhaust silencer
- Sound insulated engine room floor
- Single lever engine controls mounted at helm station
- Gori bronze 2 blade, folding propeller
- Spare 2 blade fixed prop
- Aquamet 22 propeller shaft
- PUR 80 12 volt water-maker, 3 GPH (requires new membrane)
- Wallas series 3000 forced hot air externally vented diesel heater
- 12 volt electrical panel with volt and amp meters and (8) circuit breakers
- Battery selector switch
- (2) 4D wet-cell house batteries 2014, (1) group 27 AGM Separated start battery
- (6) 80 watt solar panels (Total 480 Watts with Xantrex 35 amp auto control power regulator
- Heart Interface 750 watt Freedom 7 continuous output inverter/charger
- Aquasignal masthead Tri-color and anchor light
- Port and starboard navigation lights mounted on bow pulpit.
- D400 wind generator 2011
- Honda 2000 Generator
- ICOM 735 HAM/SSB radio with ICOM AT150 automatic antenna tuner
- Furuno Navnet Vx2 Cmap radar/chartplotter
- Icom VHF with Ram mic, arch mounted antenna
- Tacktick wind/temp/speed/depth & NEMA display system
- Iridium satellite phone w/ fixed antenna
- Autohelm 3000 autopilot
- XM radio w/ marine antenna
- Aquatic AV USB/IPOD Radio player
- AM/FM radio/tape player with Bose speakers
- Plastimo bulkhead mount view-through compass
- Ritchie compass in navigation station
- (6) life jackets
- (3) Kidde class ABC fire extinguishers
- (2) Survival Technologies safety harnesses
- Man overboard life ring and man overboard light
- Gale Rider drogue with new 300' x 5/8" braided line
- Flare gun and flares
- 10.5 Achilles rib dinghy with Yamaha 15 HP outboard
- 10’ Walker Bay rowing and sailing dinghy w/ sail kit
Carisa was sailed for 12 years by her owner/builders in the Gulf of Mexico and the western Caribbean. They sailed her 6 months out of the year from their home in Tallahassee, FL.
The second owner brought her north to Narraganset Bay, RI. He sailed her there for 6 years and took two trips north to Maine. He day-sailed and the two summer vacations to Maine.
We have owned Carisa for 9 years, having purchased her in Newport, RI and sailed her down the coast to Florida. We kept her in Fernandina Beach. FL for 3 years and sailed her to the Bahamas twice a year for 2 months and 3 months. After that we kept her in George Town, Great Exuma, Bahamas for 4 years; sailing her 4 -5 months a year. That brings us to the present.
The sail plan is wonderful! There is plenty of sail area and they really power up when the wind blows. The obvious difference is "no jibs"! Setting the loose-footed mainsails is accomplished with vangs set well outboard to provide good leverage for the full range of the boom.
Carisa easily sails 9-10 knots with wind speeds of 15-16 knots. With decent sail conditions she will easily make 200+ mile days. In a flotilla she will out sail every boat except performance catamarans and 65'+ racing mono-hulls.
Most Recent Upgrades and Additions
Sails from Haarstick Sails 2008
Furuno color chart plotter 2008
Achilles 10.5 RIB and 15 hp Yamaha OB 2008
Honda 2000 generator 2008
Air Line Hooka Dive System for 3 divers 2008
Walker Bay 10’ rowing and sailing dinghy w/sail kit 2009
Sterling paint on hulls and top sides 2010
Lazy jacks, custom 2010
Atlantic Tower Arch amidships 2011
Tacktick wireless array for wind, depth, temperature, speed and NEMA 2011
Icom VHF M502 and RAM mic 2011
Dyneema netting for all trampolines 2011
Iridium satellite phone and fixed marine antenna 2011
D400 wind generator 2011
Gori 2 blade folding propeller 2012
XM radio and marine antenna 2012
On Demand hot water shower 2014
2 new 4D wet-cell house batteries 2014
Mainsail covers 2014
Mattress covers in forward berth 2014
Lewmar 46 EST electric winch 2014
Main halyards 2015
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.