- View Full Specifications
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Seattle, WA
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- US$ 149,900
This moderate displacement bluewater cruiser has undergone very extensive refitting since purchase in 2010. Over $100,000 has been invested in thoroughly upgrading almost every system on the boat to meet or exceed current standards, and to achieve reliable, ready-to-go offshore cruising condition. A more stock Panda 38 with 15 year old equipment and 25 year old systems would cost less initially, but certainly cost more ultimately, if upgraded to the standard of Guud T'aa'uun. All work professionally done by top vendors - just the way you'd want it done - but now you don't have to - just go cruising! Maintenance & upgrades have been ongoing, with over $15,000 spent since September 2013 to install brand new house batteries (big ones!), as well as major professional varnish work on exterior teak trim, decks cleaned & brightened, sheer stripe polished, etc.
Built by the renowned Ta Shing shipbuilder, this beautiful blue-water design has just about the warmest, most attractive & most inviting interior you'll ever find in a 38' cruising sailboat - an ideal size for couples cruising - handling, maintenance, storage, liveability, capability - all exceptional.
Please contact Michael Locatell CPYB at 206-459-0880 cell
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Builder: Ta Shing
Designer: Gary Grant
LOA: 41 ft 0 in
Beam: 12 ft 0 in
LWL: 31 ft 6 in
Length on Deck: 38 ft 0 in
Maximum Draft: 5 ft 9 in
Displacement: 19000 lbs
Ballast: 7600 lbs
Total Power: 32 HP
Engine Brand: Universal
Engine Model: M-40
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Power: 32 HP
Fresh Water Tanks: 2 Stainless steel (140 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: 1 (75 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: 1 Fiberglass
Guud T'aa'uun displays workmanship typical of the remarkable Ta Shing boat builders: Solid teak staving on bulkheads & spruce-batten ceilings throughout. Solid teak trim throughout with louvered teak cabinet doors. Hanging lockers lined w/ aromatic cedar. Contrasting spruce staving for the overhead. Beautiful teak & spruce cabin sole. Newer custom upholstery & upgraded foam for the forward berth. Grab rails & handholds built into the woodworking. Heavy-duty bronze opening ports. A gorgeous large teak butterfly opening hatch over the salon. This boat has been well-cared for & the interior is in lovely condition - substantial, warm & inviting.
- Spacious-feeling forward stateroom w/ a large double berth, access to the chain locker, generous storage, three opening ports & a large overhead hatch.
- Next aft to starboard is the bathroom w/ vanity sink, brand new Raritan manual marine toilet & generous separate shower stall w/ a sit-down bench. Opening ports port & starboard plus two dorade ventilators in this area.
- Opposite to port is a large hanging locker & prepared pedestal & surround for the diesel-fired cabin heater.
- Amidships is the salon w/ large U-shaped settee to starboard & stunning salon table, and a straight settee opposite to port - storage lockers behind & above the settees. Four opening ports & the large butterfly hatch in this area.
- Aftmost to starboard is the ample nav desk & open quarter berth. On centerline is the companionway w/ engine access under. The spacious galley is opposite to port. Opening ports either side & in the galley aft bulkhead as well as two more dorade ventilators in this area.
- The comfortable sea-going cockpit has lockers port & starboard plus an LPG storage locker under the helm seat. Hinged teak doors at the companionway for easy entry.
- Large sea-going galley w/ a generous number of drawers & storage lockers. Counters are of Corian.
- Double deep stainless steel sinks on centerline w/ hot/cold water on demand plus manual fresh & raw water pumps.
- Brand new Dickinson gimbled stainless steel 3-burner LPG stove/oven plus a brand new GE stainless steel built-in microwave oven.
- (2) 20# LPG tanks w/ Marinetics remote solenoid switch control panel in the galley, but away from the stove.
- Magma stainless steel LPG B-B-Q mounted on the stern rail w/ hose to the LPG locker.
- Adler Barber 12V water-cooled Super Cold Machine in the large divided icebox. Freezer side is top-loading only. Fridge side is both top & front-loading. Fridge top & front door seals replaced in 2011.
- Bulkhead-mounted spice rack & tilt-out trash bin under the sink.
- Autohelm ST50 wind/speed/depth mounted over the companionway in cockpit.
- Autohelm ST50 speed/depth repeater at the nav desk.
- New Raymarine RD424D mast-mounted radome w/ 14" Raymarine C140W chartplotter display at the nav desk, and Raymarine C90W chartplotter display at the cockpit helm.
- Furuno GP-30 GPS at nav desk w/ serial port connection for future PC.
- New Jensen AM/FM/CD/DVD player w/ Bose speakers in salon & cockpit.
- New 24" Insignia 1080p flatscreen TV in the salon.
- Shakespeare Sea Watch TV antenna mounted on the radar arch.
- New Raymarine Linear Drive below-decks autopilot w/ control head in the cockpit.
- New ICOM M-604 VHF marine radio at nav desk w/ Command Mike 2 & speaker in the cockpit.
- New VHF antenna & Tri-color/anchor light at the masthead.
- ICOM M-710 SSB/Ham radio w/ AT-120 automatic tuner & insulated backstay antenna.
- New Pactor PTC-III modem w/ USB connection available for future PC for on-board e-mail capability.
- New Sirius Satellite radio w/ weather.
- New ICOM AIS receiver.
- Firdell Blipper radar reflector mounted on the mast.
- New Ritchie Globemaster SP5 compass mounted at the pedestal.
- Ship's clock & barometer.
- New Windex at the masthead.
- Combined 12V DC & 110V AC panel outboard of the nav desk w/ circuit breakers & meters.
- Panel & panel wiring upgraded to ABYC standards in 2010.
- Ample Power APC Energy Monitor II battery condition/use meter.
- 115V/30A shore power system w/ connector & 30A shore cord.
- 4-position rotary battery selector switch.
- Batteries include (2) 8D house batteries & (1) Group 24 engine starting battery. House batteries brand new late 2013.
- Ample Power "Eliminator" starting battery isolator.
- Heart Freedom 20 Charger/Inverter w/ remote control panel.
- Entire electrical system professionally inspected & upgraded as necessary in 2010.
- New Tri-color/anchor light at the masthead (2012).
- Laminated bowsprit w/ bobstay & heavy duty teak bow platform w/ very sturdy dual anchor rollers.
- Stainless steel bow & stern pulpits, with integral boarding ladder at the transom.
- Double coated lifelines (new in May 2000) w/ stainless steel stanchions & boarding gates port & starboard.
- High bulwarks & wide sidedecks for safe passage fore & aft.
- Teak sidedecks bedded in Thiokol or equivalent.
- Almost $10,000 invested in late 2013 to completely strip, prep & re-varnish w/ multiple coats the caprails, bow sprit, cabin "eyebrow" & coaming tops.
- Moulded non-skid pattern in contrasting color on the coach roof.
- Mooring hawsepipes through the bulwarks forward, aft & amidships.
- Sampson post on the foredeck & cleats amidships & aft for mooring.
- Lighthouse stainless steel 12V anchor windlass.
- 45# CQR primary anchor w/ 250' chain plus 150' nylon rode.
- 35# CQR secondary anchor w/ 50' chain plus 175' nylon rode.
- New saltwater washdown pump at the foredeck.
- 30# Danforth lunchhook stored on the stern pulpit w/ chain/rode combo & hawse for storage belowdeck.
- Forespar stainless steel manual dinghy davits at the transom will turn inward for storage.
- Heavy-duty stainless steel arch over the cockpit incorporates various antennas, cockpit light & stereo speakers & a lifting crane for the O/B motor.
- New cockpit dodger w/ stainless steel frames & grab bars at rear & sides, plus bimini top by Jason Iverson.
- All new canvas covers for hatches, handrails & mainsail by Jason Iverson.
- BottomSiders closed-cell cushions for the cockpit.
- (8) Polyform fenders (5 are new).
Sails & Rigging
- Keel-stepped, single-spreader cutter rig.
- Mast & boom of extruded aluminum painted white.
- 1x19 stainless steel wire w/ swaged terminals appear in very good condition - replaced in May 2000.
- All new internal halyards; spreader lights; external spinnaker halyard.
- Whisker pole stored on deck w/ heel-lift system on the mast.
- Brand new North Sails cruising main, jib & staysail - former sails usable & available as spares.
- Asymmetrical cruising spinnaker w/ ATN sock new in 12/97 & lightly used.
- All running rigging is braided dacron.
- Harken furling gear on forestay & staysail stay. Control lines led aft.
- Harken mainsheet traveller system w/ control lines into the cockpit.
- Lewmar 48CST primary winches & 30CST secondary winches.
- Lewmar 40CST mainsheet winch on housetop; 16CST for reefing at the mast.
- Lewmar 16CST, 30CST & 40CST at the mast for halyards.
- Universal M-40 4-cylinder FWC diesel engine w/ V-drive rated at 32HP at maximum RPM of 2800.
- Extensive inspection & servicing of engine in 2010 by Gallery Marine, including a brand new V-drive transmission - all belts, hoses, etc. renewed. Engine in excellent operating condition.
- Original hour meter at 3,500 hours plus new meter w/ 924 hours indicated (2/12).
- Naturally-aspirated engine w/ wet-lift muffler exhaust system (muffler new in 2010).
- Dual RACOR primary fuel filtering system plus engine fuel filter.
- Emergency electric fuel priming pump.
- 120A high-output alternator w/ smart 3-step regulator.
- 1.25" stainless steel propellor shaft w/ rubber cutlass bearing at trailing edge of the keel. Cutlass bearing renewed May 2010.
- Brand new dripless shaft seal May 2010.
- 3-blade 15 x 13 RH fixed bronze propellor (balanced & tuned 2010) w/ 2-blade as spare.
- Steering is chain/wire from the steering pedestal to quadrant on the rudder shaft.
- Stainless steel pedestal w/ teak wheel w/ stainless steel rim wrapped w/ leather.
Per original PANDA 38 General Specifications:
- Hull: Hand-laminated of solid fiberglass w/ polyurethane foam insulation added to all living areas & fiberglassed in. Teak rubstrake on hull w/ bronze wear-strip.
- Deck: Hand-laminated of cored sandwich construction utilizing end-grain balsa for stiffening, insulation & reduced weight.
- Ballast: One-piece cast iron bedded in heavy keel cavity & fiberglassed over.
- Decks: Teak sidedecks bedded in Thiokol; housetop w/ moulded-in non-skid pattern in contrasting color.
- Hull Fittings: Bronze thru-hull fittings w/ bronze lever-action ball-valves.
- Chainplates of stainless steel. Chainplates & thru-hulls bonded to the yacht's bonding system.
- All deck hardware through-bolted w/ stainless steel backing plates.
- Spars & standing rigging: Manufactured in USA to designer's specifications.
- Ports: Twelve bronze opening ports designed to self-drain - all new glass & gaskets October 2011.
- Hatches: Teak-framed "house" for companionway slider; large teak-framed hatch over forward cabin; solid teak double-opening butterfly hatch over main salon.
- Tanks: (12) stainless steel fresh water tanks w/ baffles & large inspection ports - approximately 140 gallon capacity; (1) black iron fuel tank - approximately 75 gallon capacity; (1) fiberglass holding tank. All tanks vented overboard & metal tanks bonded to the yacht's bonding system.
- Fuel tank completely drained, inspected & steam-cleaned June 2010.
Guud T'aa'uun is a full-keel design w/ a cutaway forefoot & attached rudder. She was built in 1986 and is Hull #21 of a series which began in 1982. Her cutter rig carries approximately 718 sq.ft. of working sail area. Other features & equipment include the following:
- Automatic electric bilge pump w/ manual override plus a manual bilge pump in the cockpit.
- 11-gallon hot water heater heats from AC elements & engine heat exchanger.
- New (2011) Raritan manual marine toilet has 3-way system w/ Y-valve for direct overboard discharge; holding tank w/ 12V discharge pump; and a deck port for dockside pumpout.
- Dickinson Antarctic diesel-fired cabin heater.
- PUR PowerSurvivor 40E watermaker (long time in storage mode - will require servicing).
- Boom gallows of stainless steel, bronze & laminated teak & spruce.
- Stainless steel pedestal guard at the binnacle plus guards over the forward dorade vents.
- Numerous deck prisms to add to interior lighting.
- Teak folding cockpit table & drink holder.
- 12V dome & reading lights throughout the interior plus a chart light at the nav desk & (4) Hella fans for cooling.
- All new fire extinguishers August 2011.
- Brass "trawler" oil lamp over the salon table.
- Beautiful hand-crafted teak salon table w/ star-burst pattern.
- Cove stripe re-painted, new anti-fouling paint, zincs & boat name graphics May 2010.
- Following a detailed & exhaustive survey in April 2010, the current owner has undertaken to have all issues from stem to stern professionally cleaned up, corrected and/or upgraded.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice. Owner's personal items & equipment are not included in the sale: Clothing; tools; artwork; small clock & barometer set in stateroom; small gimballed oil lamp; charting tools; books; etc.
Note: Edited versions of Full Specs for this listing are available in hoppers on the boats at our docks on Lake Union. Complete versions of Full Specs with additional specifications & more photos are available at the Discovery Yachts website.
Other Boats from NW Yachtnet
Ventura, CA, United States
Bainbridge Island, WA, United States
Drifter 1250 AK
Seattle, Our Docks, WA, United States
Sitka, AK, United States
Seattle, WA, United States
Unknown, United States