ALDEN 54/50 #002 AFT COCKPIT*
Designed by: J. G. Alden, Inc
L.O.A. 50' 10"
L.W.L. 40' 0"
BEAM 14' 4"
DRAFT 5' 6" / 10'4"
DISPLACEMENT 52,000 LBS. (full fuel, empty water tanks)
SAIL AREA 1,170 SQ.FT.
MAST HT. ABOVE WATER 70 FT
FUEL 120 GAL.
WATER 280 GAL.
Construction and equipment built under American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) survey to class +Al Offshore Yacht Service.
1. Laminate - of isophthalic neopentyl glycol gelcoat, vinylester barrier resin and stitched unidirectional fiberglass. Core material has Lloyd's Register of Shipping, Quality Approval Certificate No. YSC/QAI03. Ten year warranty against osmotic blistering.
2. External lead keel - of approximately 16,300 lbs. with stainless steel keel bolts cast
3. Structural bulkheads - major bulkheads of composite construction.
4. Additional structural components -FRP lateral and transverse beam stringer system to distribute compressive loads and provide exceptional torsional and fore and aft rigidity
5. Centerboard- fiberglass, airfoil shape, positive buoyancy, controlled from cockpit hydraulic panel. Incorporates pressure relief valve and easily replaceable break-away pin in the event of grounding.
6. Hull interior -accessible spaces coated with thixotropic polyester coating for ease of cleaning.
7. Sole bearing timbers - from mahogany, polyester encapsulated.
8. Bottom - painted with two coats of anti- fouling paint.
9. Boot top – Single.
10. Cove stripe
*(information based upon Alden specifications provided shortly after the yacht was built, and changes made thereafter. This information is accurate to the best of our knowledge, but is not guaranteed)
1. Material selection -Teak
2. Finish -full varnished interior with satin bulkheads and gloss accents.
3. 16,000 BTU air conditioner w/reverse cycle heat
4. Luke Soapstone fireplace
5. Cabin Sole - teak lumber, epoxy laminated with hard rock maple contrasting strips.
Varnished to satin finish.
6. Hanging Lockers -lined with aromatic cedar hull ceiling.
7. Berth cushions - 6" thick polyurethane foam with zippered covers. New main cabin upholstery
8. Cabin doors cold molded laminated door frames.
9. Drawers - dovetail jointed mahogany sided drawers glide on roller guides with stop.
10. Overheads - from textured vinyl laminated to closed cell foam on removable panels
below insulating air space. Main cabin panels replaced 2010.
11. Hull Ceiling - varnished hull ceiling battens outboard of berths.
12. Screens on all openings
13. Espar diesel hot-air furnace thermostatically controlled.
14. 6’7” headroom.
15. Forward berth extended to 7’3”, and widened to 5’6”
16. Air conditioning – 16,000 BTU
1. Stove - polished stainless steel throughout range with four top burners and ceramic broiler
in thermostatically controlled oven, safety shut-off on all burners, full gimballing.
2. Stove guard -1" stainless steel, attachment points for harness.
3. LPG gas cylinder -Two aluminum 20 Ib. vertical, in wells venting overboard.
4. Refrigeration – custom designed 120 volt eutectic plate system with refrigerator and separate freezer. System new 2004.
5. Remote thermometers continuously monitor refrigerator and freezer temperatures.
6. Microwave GE new 2009.
1. Toe rail aluminum with Alden designed polished S.S. fabricated bow, stern and
2. Natural ventilation - dovetail jointed varnished teak dorade boxes, with chromed
adjustable rotational locking cowl vents. Interior non-corrosive insect screens.
3. Ports -fixed ports glazed with tinted polycarbonate. Six Almag 35 metal opening
ports, inset in cabin house sides. 7 X 14 metal opening port in each aft cabin.
4. Deck hatches - all Almag 35 metal, glazed with tinted polycarbonate: 19 x 19 over
forward cabin, and galley. 24 x 24 over main saloon. 12-1/2 x 17 -1/2 over forward
head (all new 2008). Three 7 x 13-5/8 over aft cabins and aft head. Sliding companionway hatch and drop boards.
5. Foredeck hatch - 31 x 31 Almag 35 hatch (new 2008), deck opening over sail handling room.
6. Cockpit seats and sole - laid teak, epoxy bonded to FRP substrate, payed seams.
7. Stem fitting - mirror polished type 316L SS weldment w/bow roller. Anchor retaining pin
8. Quarter fittings - mirror finished type 316L SS with integral chocks.
9. Main sheet traveler - Harken, with recirculating ball bearing car. 4: 1 tag line system
10. Genoa sheet tracks - l- 1/2" stainless steel bolted through reinforced laminate with
backing plates, two genoa cars, one lead block per side.
11. Turning blocks -4.5" diameter Stainless dual sheave foot blocks.
12. Mooring cleats - Forward 15" and 2 12” cleats, 4 midships and 2 aft cleats 12".
13. 4 cockpit safety attachment points.
13. Windlass - Nilsson VWC 3000 chrome windlass with rope capstan and chain gypsy feeding integral hawse pipe.
14. Mast collar - aluminum, with a lip for lashing on mast boot.
15. Flagpole socket -1-l/4" size, chrome bronze.
16. Dorade guards - heavy wall stainless steel, over fwd. dorades
17. Staysail tracks - 1-l/2" stainless steel with lead block and stainless
cheek blocks to fairlead sheets through stoppers to winches mounted on house top convenient to cockpit.
18. Lifelines - 27" high double lifeline system, with boarding gates port and starboard.
19. Pulpits - Double rail design fabricated from I" dia. heavy wall stainless. Bow pulpit incorporates teak seat and gated European design.
20. Deck joiner work and trim -Teak varnished with smooth high gloss finish.
22. Cockpit coaming lockers - port and starboard with teak framed opening.
23. Deck and house top - molded in non-skid pattern.
24. Firdell radar reflector
25. Navigation, masthead, foredeck, spreader, and cockpit lights
1. Wheel -stainless steel destroyer type 40" diameter.
2. Pedestal -Edson 6.' with stainless needle bearings.
3. Emergency tiller.
4. Compass - Danforth Constellation compass, 6" diameter with chrome hood.
5. Autohelm SPX30/P70r w/S100 wireless handheld remote (new 2012). 7000 backup
1. Cockpit Primary - Two Barient # 36 3 sp Self Tailing Chrome electric on molded winch island
2. Cockpit secondary - Two Barient #32 2 sp Chrome on molded winch island
3. Main Sheet/staysail sheet - Barient # 27 2 sp Self-Tailing Chrome on house top convenient to cockpit, with stopper.
4. Main outhaul/staysail sheet - Barient #27 2 sp Self Tailing Chrome on house top convenient to cockpit, symmetrical to main sheet winch, with stopper.
5. Genoa Halyards - Barient # 27 2sp Self Tailing Chrome on spar port side with rope
clutch for roller furling halyard.
6. StaysaiI Halyard - Barient # 24 2 sp Self-Tailing Chrome with rope clutch.
7. Main Halyard - Barient # 27 2 sp Self Tailing Chrome on mast stbd side with rope clutch
8. Spinnaker Halyard – Barient #24 2 sp Self Tailing Chrome on mast port side
1. Engine – Yanmar 4JH3-HTE turbocharged 100 HP engine new 2005. Engine drip pan with drain. 7.5-8 knots cruise, 8.5-9 knots max.
2. Engine Panel – Mounted on steering pedestal - Gauge for RPM, with visible and audible alarms for over-temperature and low oil pressure. Audible alarm for water in fuel and high cooling seawater temperature. Additional audible oil pressure and engine temperature alarm. Temperature and oil pressure gauges on engine enclosure.
3. Propeller Shaft - 1-1/2" dia. Aquamet 22
4. Shaft coupling - Scatra Aquadrive constant velocity joint coupling system (rebuilt 2005) for minimum vibration and ease of alignment.
5. Engine Control - Single lever shift/throttle control (new 2005) adjacent to wheel facilitates maneuvering.
6. Propeller – 19” three blade Max prop – feathering. Rebuilt 2004
7. Fuel tanks - two Certified tanks of 5052 aluminum alloy with baffle plates. Fuel selection valves readily accessible.
8. Fuel filter - Racor 500.
9. Engine room insulation - 3/4 " mylar foam and lead insulation. New 2005
10. Bow thruster – 9 HP Side-Power with control on pedestal. New 2006
1. Water tanks - aluminum with interior baffles, approximately 280 gallons total capacity.
2. Potable water inlet and distribution - US FDA formulation lined hose, polybutylene piping.
3. Water pressure –Sensor Max 17 variable displacement pump.
4. Water heater - stainless steel 15 gallon. Operates both from engine and 110 V AC.
5. Sinks - galley sink stainless steel, double bowl 9-3/4. deep. China lavatory basins
in owner and guest heads.
6. Head Faucets -European styled chrome bronze faucets in heads
7. Galley Faucet –Kohler (new 2010)
8. Toilets- Aft head – Wilcox Crittenden Skipper bronze base high volume marine toilet connected to 55 gal. Holding tank with bypass valve for use outside U. S. waters. Forward head -Vacuflush connected directly to the holding tank (both heads new 2006).
9. Sanitation device – 55 gallon holding tank with built in power evacuation pump and warning lamps. Deck discharge also.
10. Shower sumps - connected through strainer to power diaphragm pump with overboard discharge.
11. Bilge pumps - one Edson mounted below cabin sole, one Whale Gusher MK II located in cockpit, two electric diaphragm pumps with automatic sensors. Spare Edson pump.
12. Inlet and Discharge fittings - thru hull fittings with low maintenance bronze seacocks on all underwater connections.
15. 600 GPD watermaker (not used since 2002)
14. Salt and freshwater deck washdown.
1. Switchboard - with Xantrex battery monitor, DC voltmeter, DC ammeter, 38 DC circuit breakers. 3 high power circuit breakers.
2. Engine starting circuit - dedicated 70 Amp alternator charges heavy-duty AGM 105 AH battery (new 2005).
3. Ship electrical feed - dedicated 210 AH Balmar large frame alternator charges house battery bank of four heavy-duty AGM 210 AH deep cycle batteries (840 AH total). New 2005
4. DC power selection –Disconnect switches and fuses on house, engine and generator circuits. Emergency parallel switches to engine and generator circuits (all new 2005).
5. LPG Control system -illuminated control located convenient to galley and propane sensor with visual and audible alarms. Stainless steel gauge for pressure monitoring.
6. Voltage Alarm -individual alarms for each battery bank/alternator with visual and audible alarms.
7. Surge Protector -voltage surge and spike clipping device for electronic panel.
8. Bulkhead mounted lights -10 brass incorporating locking mechanism for
multi axis directional control.
9. Forced ventilation -blowers for engine room and battery compartment.
10. Separate circuits for electronics.
11. Dome lights - 22 stainless steel 7" dome lights with quartz
bulbs. Locations includelazarette, forepeak and overheads throughout vessel.
12. Outlets - 8 duplex AC receptacles G.F.I. protected.
13. AC System - 3 wire galvanic protected ground 110V, 50 ampere system.
14. AC Switchboard - with ship-shore power selector, automatic transfer between inverter and generator, double pole main breaker for each power source, polarity indicator, volt meter, ammeter, and 11 branch circuit breakers.
15. AC Service - NEMA standard locking type chrome inlet fitting, yellow 50 foot 30 amp cordset(2)
16. 50 amp and 30 amp electronic battery chargers.
17. Navigation lights - IMCO standards, pulpit and mast mounted.
18. Galvanic bonding system - to common buss for underwater metals.
19. Lightning protection -to meet ABS requirements, including chainplates and metallic components.
20. Overcurrent protection – of high amperage DC circuits.
21. Deck and mast lights - controlled from cockpit panel.
22. 3 KW generator W/Racor filter and remote controls. Includes large deep discharge AGM 105 AH battery (new 2005) available as backup for other electrical systems.
23. 6 KW isolation/voltage change transformer.
24. 3 KW inverter with remote control (1.75 KW backup inverter).
SPARS AND RIGGING
1. Mast - welded aluminum with two spinnaker halyard cranes, stepped to keel. In mast electric furling for mainsail
2. Spreaders - two pair of tapered airfoil section.
3. Cutter Rig with Hood Seafurl II furling staysail and genoa, and cruising spinnaker
4. Blocks - all necessary blocks for staysail, genoas, and main sheet. Four general purpose snatch blocks, appropriately sized.
5. Boom - with fixed gooseneck, outhaul with car and integral tackle. Navtec hydraulic vang.
6. Standing rigging - Navtec rod rigging, high strength turnbuckles (inspected 2004).
7. Running backstays - from vinyl coated SS wire for use in extreme conditions.
8. Backstay tension - hydraulic backstay with fail-safe turnbuckle, controlled from cockpit panel.
9. Halyards - two internal genoa halyards (one messengered), Internal main and staysail halyards. Two internal spinnaker halyards (one messengered). Ship's courtesy flag halyard to stbd spreader.
10. Running rigging - double braided Dacron including main, genoa and staysail sheets, and mainsail outhaul.
1. North main and genoa (new, still being adjusted)
2. Hood staysail
3. Poleless spinnaker
4. Old Hood main and genoa available if wanted.
LOOSE GEAR AND SAFETY EQUIPMENT
1. Winch handles - Four Barient 10" chrome lock in.
2. Anchor rodes - 250 ft. 3/4" laid nylon, 325 ft. 3/8” dia. Hi-tensile chain
3. Anchors - 35 lb. Hi Tensile Danforth, 45 lb CQR, 55 lb. Delta, 100 lb Luke storm anchor, dinghy anchor.
4. Mooring lines - six 3/4" laid nylon, six 5/8” laid nylon, 150’ spectra shore line.
5. Fenders – five 10" x 26" ribbed pneumatic fenders with lines and covers, two 18”round fenders.
6. Fire Extinguisher - four, dry chemical type.
7. Life Preservers - four, Type 1 life preserver with reflective material.
8. Horseshoes - two, type IV life rings with stainless steel mounting brackets.
9. Colors - varnished teak 1-1/4" x 60" flagstaff and 3' x 5' ensign.
10. 6 person Swietlik life raft.
11. 5 person AB 290 aluminum rigid inflatable dinghy new 2004 w/3 hp Torqueedo electric outboard motor (new 2010) w/two batteries
12. Gas grill
13. Dodger (new 2004) and Sunshade.
14. Cockpit cushions.
15. Winter cover.
16. 6’ aluminum passarelle (boarding ramp) with mounting bracket and harness.
17. Fitted bedding,
18. PUR SURVIVOR hand operated watermaker
- Furuno Radar new 2004
- Leica/Magnavox MX100 fixed GPS
- Handheld GPS
- Raymarine depth, speed, and wind instruments, new 2004, readouts at chart table and cockpit
- Uniden fixed VHF w/wireless remote new 2004
- Handheld VHF new 2004, backup handheld VHF
- SGC SSB/amateur radio transceiver
- CD player w/AM-FM radio
- 2 Emergency Position Indicator Radio Beacons (EPIRB), one new in 2006
- Globalstar satellite phone new 2004
- Panasonic Toughbook 29 daylight readable 13.3” screen computer with Nobeltec marine charting system loaded, connected GPS, all new 2006.
- Autohelm SPX30 w/P70r control and S100 wireless remote control (new 2012)
**We will include a copy of “Great Yachts and their Designers”, which features Elena, and a half-hull model of Elena.