- View Full Specifications
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Deale, MD
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- US$ 65,000
- Sale Pending
BOAT SHOW SPECIAL
THIS IS A MUST SEE CLASSIC YACHT
Pretty lines and a forgiving design from Carl Alberg, plus a sturdy build, make this classic a capable offshore cruiser. Andrew Vavolotis founded Cape Dory Yachts in 1963. The fledgling company went from building the original 10-foot Cape Dory to becoming one of America's premier sailboat builders in the 1970s and 1980s.
It is a privilege to announce this listing for "Spray", hull #98, of this renowned CD 36 classic. When you first see "Spray" you will immediately be drawn to her graceful lines, stunning Teal Awlgrip hull, and her obvious well maintained look overall. She is certainly a boat that is easy to imagine as yours when you walk down the dock. While she is a very capable offshore cruiser she also feels quite at home in local waters. With the self tending staysail and self tailing winches she is a breeze to sail.
SPRAY has been impeccably maintained...
As a recent full time solo cruiser and live aboard, I will offer you many insights and shared experience in choosing your next boat. This includes technical as well as outfitting advice. As a corporate "graduate" I will offer you a customer service experience that has my full attention and includes both negotiation, insurance, and finance skills.
I will help make your boat buying experience easy and fun, and guarantee that you can get the boat best suited for YOUR boating needs and budget. I will help make your buying and selling experience take less time. I will help make sure you get the best price. And, I will be there to help manage your showing, survey, insurance needs, financing options, and closing activities… whew!
Also, please, don't forget! I am always looking for good, quality sail and power boat listings. Call me to discuss your current boat and how we can maximize its sale and minimize it’s time on the market.
Jim Ireland; 203-521-9469; email@example.com
Please contact Jim Ireland at 203 521-9469
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
LOA: 36 ft 0 in
Beam: 18 ft 8 in
LWL: 27 ft 10 in
Maximum Draft: 5 ft 0 in
Displacement: 16100 lbs
Ballast: 6050 lbs
Bridge Clearance: 46 ft 6 in
Total Power: 40 HP
Engine Brand: Perkins
Engine Model: 4-108
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 2800
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 40 HP
Fresh Water Tanks: 3 Plastic (60 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: 1 Aluminum (53 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: 1 Plastic (24 Gallons)
The interior plan is straightforward and functional, and the level of finish is exceptional. Dropping below through the slightly off-center main hatch you find yourself in the galley. The small nav station and quarterberth are opposite the galley to starboard. The saloon is warm and inviting. Continuing forward the head is to port with a hanging locker opposite. The V-berth cabin is spacious. There is storage in well-crafted drawers below the bunks. This is definitely the cabin for sleeping when at anchor, with a large overhead hatch and opening portlights to move the air around. Ventilation is excellent throughout the boat as well with plenty of opening bronze portlights.
- Teak and holly sole
- Nicely finished teak joinery throughout
- Comfy upholstery with custom cushions
- Force 10 Cabin Heater
- Ten bronze ports with screens
- Two large overhead hatches
- Two SS dorades with teal interiors
Galley and Saloon
The galley is U shaped and boasts two large sinks and a three-burner cooker with an oven. The ice box / fridge is aft giving this galley good counter space and lots of storage ready to cook up those gourmet summer meals.
- Deep double SS sink
- Large well insulated Ice box
- Seaward Princess 3 burner propane stove with oven
- Floret 33 gpm water pump - New 2007
- Manual sea water pump at galley sink
The saloon includes an L-shaped settee to port with a straight settee opposite. The port settee turns nicely into a double bunk. There is a fold-up table mounted on the bulkhead. And, having the table fold up out of the way makes this space open when needed.
- An A/C unit can be mounted in the companionway
- Westmarine CD player with two speakers - New 2013
- 6 foot 4 inch headroom
- Cabin Shade Cover
Navigation and Electronics
Nav Station Features:
- Siltex chart plotter - New in 2004
- Icom IC-M59 VHF radio
- Furuno 1715 radar - New in 2005
Helm Station Features:
- Datamarine 5100 knot meter
- Data marine 5200 depth meter
- Navman 3100 wind indicator - New in 2003
- CPT Offshore low draw autopilot - New in 2014
- Ritchie compass
Sails and Rigging
The cockpit was designed to accommodate a pedestal and decent-sized wheel. The visibility from the helm is excellent and the narrow beam places the sheet winches within easy reach. Yet the cockpit still feels spacious and there's plenty of storage with lockers port and starboard and a lazarette astern for the propane tanks. The teak coaming boards add a nice touch. There's a stout bridgedeck and the mainsheet traveler is set up on a bridge spanning the companionway with midboom sheeting on what is a proportionately long boom. The side decks are wide and there are long teak handrails atop the cabinhouse and a stout teak toerail. The single-spreader mast is keel-stepped and heavily stayed.
The Cape Dory 36 tracks well and resists pounding in a seaway. With an SA/D of 15.7 and a D/L of 356, the CD 36 isn't a race boat, but it can carry sail and continue to make way when lighter, faster boats are running for cover. The CD 36 tracks quite well and heaves-to very well which is very reassuring to bluewater sailors.
- 9 oz battened main with three reefing points - New in 2015
- There is a spare main in decent condition
- Yankee cut furling genoa - New in 2007; New sunbrella in 2015
- Hank on staysail - New in 2014
- There is a spare staysail in good condition
- Lifelines were replaced (uncovered) - New in 2014
Engine and Electrical
The reliable Perkins 4-108 4-cylinder 40-horsepower diesel engine was standard on the CD 36. It is set into place behind the companionway with just enough room to work on it and the maintenance items are within easy reach. The engine compartment is also nicely soundproofed.
The electrical panel is located directly below the companionway behind the steps.
- Gauges; Temp / Pressure / RPM / Hours
- Fresh water cooled w/ heat exchanger
- Folding Max propeller
- New Starter in 2016
- Spare filters, belts, and impellers
- Engine room blower
- Statpower 20 amp battery charger - New in 2002
- Batteries; (2) six volt house; (1) engine start
- 6 Gal Atlantic Marine hot water heater - New in 2002
- Electric bilge pump with manual whale gusher in the cockpit
Hull and Deck Features
Cape Dory did an excellent job of building boats and the proof is how well they've held up. The hull is hand-laid in a rotating, one-piece mold with alternating layers of fiberglass mat and woven roving. The deck is balsa cored except in areas of high loads and stresses where it is solid glass, plywood, or aluminum. The hull-and-deck joint is on a wide, 3-inch inward flange and through-bolted on 12-inch centers.
Separate tools or molds were used to lay up the headliner and the pans in the V-berth and galley. The ballast is cast in two pieces and placed inside the keel cavity. It is secured in place with several layers of fiberglass and covered with gelcoat for a smooth, clean bilge finish. The rudder combines two fiberglass half shells filled with a polyester compound and is built around a beefy 1 ½-inch stock.
- Teal Awlgrip - New in 2000
- Soda blasted bottom with 3 coats epoxy and 2 coats bottom paint - New in 2015
- Teak cockpit table finished like new
- Dodger and Bimini with Connector
- Bimini frame cover used when not in use
- Closed cell cockpit cushions
- All deck teak has recent 5 coats Cetol
- Deck non-skid was refinished - New in 2013
- 1 Plow and 1 Danforth anchor with chain and rode
- Double anchor rollers
- Simpson electric windlass
- Motor mount for stern rail
Safety and Other
Safety and Other Features;
- 6 life jackets, bell, horn, flares, and fire extinguisher
- Dock lines and fenders
- Custom winter cover
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
Other Boats from S&J Yachts
Rock Hall, MD, United States
Rock Hall, MD, United States
Rock Hall, MD, United States
Rock Hall, MD, United States
Pasadena, MD, United States
Deltaville, VA, United States