1979 Southern Ocean Peterson 33
- View Full Specifications
Charter with Purchase Option!
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Yarmouth , ME
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- US$ 16,000
New Lower Price!
The Peterson 33's are known for their great sailing performance. This partiuclar example has been nicely upgraded, including a 2011 Yanmar diesel, 2010 all-new freshwater system and many other upgrades. She is for sale in an attractive lease purchase program.
Please contact Spencer Drake at 207-846-4545
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Builder: Southern Ocean Ltd. (UK)
Designer: Doug Peterson
Flag of Registry: United States
LOA: 33 ft 0 in
Beam: 10 ft 5 in
LWL: 26 ft 6 in
Minimum Draft: 5 ft 11 in
Displacement: 9000 lbs Half Load
Ballast: 4233 lbs
Total Power: 21 HP
Engine Brand: Yanmar
Year Built: 2011
Engine Model: 4GMD
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Propeller: 3 blade propeller
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 21 HP
Cruising Speed: 7 knots
Maximum Speed: 8 knots
Fresh Water Tanks: 1 Plastic (30 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: 1 Aluminum (13 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: 1 Plastic (18 Gallons)
While orignally designed as a "3/4 tonner" under the IOR rule the Peterson 33 has pleasant accommodations for up to 7 (plan was to have the ability to have a full racing crew onboard but one does not have to use all of those berths!) yet provide the family with an attractive, functional cruising layout as well. The interior is full varnished teak with a varnished teak and holly sole. 12 volt lighting throughout and natural light and ventilation via 4 large and 2 small fixed ports, a large hatch fwd and solar vent in the head.
Starting forward is a 6'-4" V-berth with filler; below the berth there is bin type storage and above the berth the hull is lined with varnished teak "ceilings". Next aft to port is the enclosed head with 2002 par electric W.C. plumbed via a Y valve to the holding tank and storage in cubbies outboard. Opposite the head is a large hanging locker.
Next aft is the Main Salon with 6'-6" settees P&S with storage in drawers in the seat backs. Above the settees P&S are pilot berths outboard. Dining is from a teak trimmed Formica finished drop leaf table on c/l.
Aft and to starboard is the fwd facing Nav. Station with flip top type chart table, storage below in a large locker, the yachts electrical distribution panels, and navigation electronics. Aft of the Nav. Station is a 6'-4" quarter berth with some bin type storage under.
Opposite is the L shaped galley featuring Formica counter tops, top loading ice box fitted with a new 2005 VertiFrigo refrigeration system, single basin stainless sink with H&C pressure water (fixtures new in 2010. Cooking is off a new 2008 Origio 6000 gimballed low pressure alcohol 2 burner stove with oven. There is a counter extender that folds up at the aft end of the port settee and reasonable storage in 4 lockers.
- Pioneer AM/FM/CD stereo 2010
Sails & Rigging
Keel stepped aluminum mast and boom with new in 2010 1X19 stainless steel standing rigging, and turnbuckles, the boom was also new at that time.
- Lewmar ST#40 2 speed primaries
- Lewmar ST#30 2 speed halyard and reefing line winches
- Lewmar #7 main sheet winch
- Harken main traveller system
- The main traveller and winches are not original to the boat but prob date to the 90s
- 2003 Hood roller furling
- Hood main
- Hood 150% genoa
- 3/4 oz spinnaker
- Alum spinnaker pole
- Navtech hydraulic backstay adjuster recently rebuilt
- Several other undated upgrades including rope clutches and sheet blocks
Fully equipped for racing and coastal cruising.
- 2004 Raymarine ST40 Depth
- 2004 Raymarine ST40 Speed/Log
- 2004 Raymarine ST40 Wind Pt. & Speed
- 2005 Raymarine RC-245 chart plotter
- 2006 Raymarine ST6002 autopilot
- 2006 Icom M-402 VHF
- 2008 Icom HM-127W Command Mic.
- Icom hand held VHF
- Ritchie 5" binnacle mount compass
Wired for both 12 Volt DC and 110 Volt AC service. A bit anecdotal but between 2003 and 2008 the wiring from the engine to the distribution panels was replaced along with the distribution panels and an inverter was added.
12 Volt DC
- 2000 or later Blue Seas 12 volt panel with breakers
- Amp & volt meters
- 4 new Group 27 house/inverter batteries
- 1 new Group 24 engine start battery
- 40 amp alternator
- Xantrex battery system status monitor
110 Volt AC
- 2000 or later Blue Seas distribution panel with breakers
- Amp meter
- 30 amp shore power connection
- 50' 30 amp shore power cord
- Water heater (also engine supplied)
- 2011 Charles charger 20 amp battery charger
- Insta-Power 750 watt inverter
A new 2011 Yanmar diesel turns a 3 blade fixed propeller on a 1" stainless shaft through a 2:1 reduction gear.
- New 2008 fuel tank
- New 2008 prop shaft, dripless shaft seal, and cutlass bearing
- 2010 new fresh water system including tank, lines, pump, and fixtures
- manual bilge pump
- electric bilge pump
- manual waste tank pump
Hull & Deck
Fiberglass hull with original white gel coat in good condition with blue boot stripe and cove. The bottom was stripped and barrier coated in 2003 and is finished with blue hard epoxy anti fouling and has been kept very fair. The hull and decks are partially end grain balsa cored.
Comfortable cockpit with traditional cable pedestal steering, large sail locker to port. Low maint exterior with the only teak being two grab rails on the house top.
- 18 lb. Danforth anchor with chain & rode
- Double stainless steel bow and stern rails
- Double stainless steel stanchions & lifelines
- 8 Type II PFDs
- MOB pole with signal
- Jim Buoy life ring
- 3 fire extinguishers
- 4 fenders and 4 docklines
- Cockpit cushions (recent)
This Peterson 33 has been extensively upgraded by her former owners who graciously donated her to a non-profit. She is available on an attractive charter with option purchase program. Given the extensive work done to her she is an extremely attractive offering.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.