- View Full Specifications
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Alameda, CA
- Hull Material:
- Last Listed Price:
- US$ 49,900
Very nicely maintained cruiser/live aboard
Steppenwolf is a Tayana 37 designed by Robert Perry and has been in production since the late 70s. She has a long keel with a cut away forefoot making her a stable, easily handled cruising boat for a couple or a singlehander. The design includes extensive storage space throughout the boat – a requirement for any long distance cruiser. Over 400 of the boats have been built and a significant number of them have circumnavigated. There is a very active, supportive Tayana Owners Group both on Facebook and on Google.
The boat interior is beautifully finished with traditional looking woodwork that is as functional as it is beautiful. Most storage areas include louvered doors to promote good air circulation throughout the boat. Most cabinet hardware is bronze with a few stainless steel fittings. The cabin sole is made up of teak and holly panels.
In the last two years, Steppenwolf has been undergoing an extensive refit with the objective of being able to accomplish a circumnavigation. The basic philosophy has been to keep the boat a simple boat with rugged, reliable equipment. For example, the boat has tiller steering because it is simple, reliable and gives the helmsman a much better feel for boat balance and performance. It also works much better with the Monitor windvane than wheel steering. When not under sail, the tiller can be pivoted up out of the way freeing the cockpit for social gatherings.
Since the boat was also my home, I wanted to be beautiful. I have brought the brightwork up to a level that draws frequent compliments from bypassers.
Unfortunately, a combination of health and financial circumstances are making it necessary for me to sell the boat. Some work will be required to finish the upgrade. Some of items necessary to finishing the upgrade have been purchased and are included in the equipment being sold with the boat. Most of the remaining work can be accomplished by a person with moderate experience of maintaining and working on boats.
For more info and a showing Call
Please contact Bill Hackel at (510) 523-5988
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Builder: Ta Yang Yacht Building Co.
Designer: Robert Perry
LOA: 36 ft 7 in
Beam: 11 ft 7 in
LWL: 31 ft 0 in
Maximum Draft: 5 ft 6 in
Displacement: 27000 lbs Full Load
Ballast: 7140 lbs
Headroom: 6 ft 3 in
Freeboard: 2 ft 0 in
Dry Weight: 22500 lbs
Total Power: 45 HP
Engine Brand: Perkins
Year Built: 1979
Engine Model: 4-108
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Propeller: 3 blade propeller
Drive Type: Stern drive
Engine Power: 45 HP
Cruising Speed: 6 knots
Maximum Speed: 7 knots
Fresh Water Tanks: 2 Fiberglass (50 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: 1 (90 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: 1 Plastic (50 Gallons)
Number of single berths: 3
Number of cabins: 2
Number of heads: 1
Seating Capacity: 6
VHF - Icom IC-M506
Autopilot - Tiller master to Windvane steering
Wind speed and direction
Manual bilge pump
Electric bilge pump
Shore power inlet
Electrical Circuit: 12V
Solar panel - 85 watt x 2
Major refit Items
* Removed old chainplates. Replaced with titanium chainplates bolted to the exterior of the hull. Lower end studs on most standing rigging are new Hayn fittings.
* Replaced original bowsprit with new, laminated Douglas Fir bowsprit. Replaced sampson posts with new white oak posts.
* Removed old mast wiring. Installed conduit with new wiring. New lights include LED masthead tricolor/anchor/strobe light, LED steaming/foredeck light, dual LED spreader lights.
* Installed mast climbing steps, cabin top to masthead.
* Replaced halyards with low stretch dacron halyards.
* Replaced most of the rest of running rigging.
- * Perkins 4-108 diesel engine
* Monitor wind vane
* Roller furled working jib and staysail
* Twin 85 watt solar panels
* Battery charger for dockside operation
* Bronze opening portholes with screens throughout the boat
* Skylight in main cabin with screens
* Frigoboat refrigeration
* Hot water heater – electrically heated or heated by engine
* Many interior lights have been replaced with LED fixtures
* Raytheon masthead windspeed and direction with cockpit display
* Raytheon speedometer with cockpit display
* Raytheon depth finder with cockpit display
* Icom IC-M506 VHF and Icom MA-500TR new in 2015. This combination gives AIS class B capability, GPS position display, DSC calling and more
* West Marine stereo with AM/FM and Sirius/XM receiver
* Raymarine AIS 100 splitter allowing VHF, AIS and FM receiver to share a single antenna
* Island time WiFi booster for extended range connection to shore based WiFi
* Onboard router with Wifi for onboard Internet connection
* Dual fresh water tanks – believed to be 50 gallons each
* Holding tank – approximately 50 gallon capacity
* Diesel fuel tank – approximately 90 gallon capacity
* Double stainless steel sink in galley
* Gimbaled 3 burner propane stove with oven
* Electrically operated remote shutoff for propane
* Two 20lb propane tanks in separate cockpit lockers
* Pressure water system
* Shower in head
* Stainless steel sink in head
* Medicine cabinet in head
* Switch in head allows head to pump into holding tank or overboard
* Shipstrike clock and barometer set
* Force 10 propane cabin heater
* Numerous 12v bulkhead mount, swiveling fans mounted in main cabin and forward cabin for air circulation
* Screens on hatches and portlights
* CQR 35 lb bow anchor
* 2 – Danforth style stern anchors
* Simpson Lawrence mechanical anchor windlass on port bow anchor
* Lewmar mechanical vertical windlass on starboard bow anchor
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.