- View Full Specifications
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Georgetown, MD
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- US$ 74,900
T I M E L E S S E L E G A N C E
This Gulfstar 53 Motorsailer is the perfect Chesapeake Bay cruiser, with her shoal draft of just 4.5 feet. Want to venture beyond? The Bahamas, the Keys...perhaps Bermuda or crossing the Atlantic? She'll get you there delivering excellent performance under sail. With a 300 gallon fuel capacity, you'll never be stuck in the doldrums! At a fuel burn rate of about 4 gallons an hour, you won't be tied to the fuel dock too often!
Designed by Vince Lazzara, originally of Columbia Yachts, the Gulfstar 53MS was built from 1971 through 1975. Since only 27 of them were built, they are a rare find and do not last long on the re-sale market.
With her 15' beam and expansive accommodations below decks with classic tri-cabin layout makes her the perfect live-aboard! In fact, the current owner has owned and lived aboard her since 2002. He has traded the sheets for two screws and has moved aboard his new motor yacht...creating this awesome opportunity!
The Gulfstar 53MS has developed quite the legacy as the cruiser of choice for all types of cruising conditions. She’s perfect for the Chesapeake Bay with her shallow draft keel, which also makes her perfect for island hopping in the southern waters. Her hull is solid, built of solid fiberglass and molded thick to take any conditions the bay or sea throws at her. While she is no speed demon and does not point too closely to the wind, she’s a joy on a broad or beam reach! With three staterooms, two heads, a huge salon and dinette area, she’s got plenty of room. Her center cockpit has room for eight and the enclosure offers protection from the elements.
"Southern Cross" is a nice vessel with a lot of potential. She proved her sea worthiness on her recent trip down the coast to the Chesapeake Bay from New York Harbor. If you’re willing to put a little work into her, she’ll love you back with many years of cruising enjoyment!
Updates completed by the current owner include:
Cruise-Air electric heat, with 2kW elements at each of the three blowers. She's warm in the winter!
All standing and running rigging has been updated
The decks have been peeled, re-cored. She's solid!
All the old port lights have been replaced with Hood s/s port lights
The bottom is freshly painted
Survey completed in August 2014
"Southern Cross" is now berthed in the protected fresh waters of the Sassafras River. Her slip is paid for until Fall of 2016 and will convey with the vessel.
CALL TODAY TO SCHEDULE A SHOWING 410.885.2468
Looking for something a little different?
Don't think this listing meets your needs? Call us with your exact needs. As a yacht broker member of the number one global MLS system, we can, and will, find that just-right boat for you. Let us take the time, frustration and hassle out of the search for you. This will free up more time to actually see the boats you may be interested in. We'll assist with the entire delivery process...at no charge to you! With over 50 years combined experience as brokers AND boaters...we understand your needs!
WE NEED LISTINGS!
We had a great season...but now we need listings. We have averaged 90-days or less turn around on our recent, clean and fresh listings. We have embraced the power of the internet and figured out how to maximize exposure for all of our listings by optimizing our listings to ensure they are found. If someone is searching for your type of boat, or something similar, they'll find it in or listings. We remove the hassle and inconvenience form selling your own boat by handling all incoming calls, scheduling showings, handling negotiations and assist the buyer with every step of the purchase process.
So, whether you are considering purchasing or selling or both,
call us and find out why we should become
your broker of choice...we'd love to work for you!
CALL TODAY 410.885.2468
Please contact at 410-885-2468
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
LOA: 53 ft 0 in
Beam: 15 ft 0 in
LWL: 47 ft 4 in
Maximum Draft: 4 ft 6 in
Displacement: 44000 lbs
Ballast: 5000 lbs
Headroom: 6 ft 6 in
Dry Weight: 39000 lbs
Total Power: 65 HP
Engine Brand: Perkins
Year Built: 1974
Engine Model: 4 Cylinder
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 6000
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 65 HP
Cruising Speed: 8 knots
Fresh Water Tanks: (400 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: (300 Gallons)
Number of single berths: 2
Number of double berths: 2
Number of cabins: 2
Number of heads: 2
Wind speed and direction
Electric bilge pump
Manual bilge pump
Shore power inlet
- This is a 3 stateroom boat with the vee berth forward, a guest stateroom to port with criss-crossed berth with a forward head & shower opposite the 2nd stateroom to port. The third stateroom is aft with an ensuite head and full stall shower, with one double and one single berth port and starboard sides.
- The main salon has a large settee to starboard, with a huge u-shaped dinette opposite. Aft in the salon and to stbd is the nav station. Opposite is the L-shaped galley that goes aft down the companionway to the master stateroom. Engine room access is from this companionway and there is a solid door to the engine room for good and easy walk-in access.
- All (3) new Crusair reverse-cycle heating and air conditioning, each unit fitted with 2kW electric auxiliary heating for winter heating. All new digital controls.
- Double Beds
- Cedar Closets
- Separate Walk In Shower
- Built in Chest of Drawers
- Separate Heating & Cooling System
- Cabin with Berths for 4
- V-Berth Chest of Drawers
- Hanging Locker
- Separate Heating & Cooling System
Fwd-Mid Stateroom (to Port)
- Over & Under Berths w/ Chest of Drawers
- Large Hanging Locker
- 3 burner electric cook-top stove with oven/broiler.
- Microwave oven
- Separate Refrigerator & Freezer to starboard in companionway leading aft
- Center Cockpit
- Fenders & Dock Lines
- Anchor / Windlass
- Bow Pulpit
- Side Stanchions w/ Life Lines
- Fiberglass Decks
- Spreader Flood Lights
- Full Canvas Enclosure for Cockpit
- Dinghy w/ Outboard
- Life Raft
- Pedestal Hydraulic Steering
- New Hood Stainless Steel Port Lights
- Decks have been peeled & re-cored
Rigging & Sales
- Ketch Rigged
- Aluminum Mast & Booms
- Mast, Tapered Aluminum Spreaders
- At-the-Mast Roller Reefing (Main & Mizzen)
- Stainless Steel Rigging (updated)
- Adjustable Topping Lift
- Main Boom Traveler Arch
- Two Primary Winches
- Spare Winch Handles
- Onan 20kW Marine Generator
- Battery Charger
- 2/30 AMP Shore Power
- 1/50 AMP Shore Power (for electric heating)
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.