- View Full Specifications
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Burnham on Crouch, Essex, United Kingdom
- Hull Material:
- Last Listed Price:
- £ 57,250 (US$ 71,494)
This Swan 40 is a unique Cruising version of the classic Sparkman and Stephens design from the 1970's, hull no.47 out of 51 built. 'Star Swan' is a sea kindly yacht, well designed to sail well over long distances in all conditions and has been extensively cruised and club raced by her current owners of the last 15 years, mainly just two up. She has been continuously updated and is presented in good condition.
Viewing by prior appointment only through our Essex Office on 0044 (0)1621 785600
Please contact at +44 (0)1621 785600
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Designer: Sparkman and Stephens
LOA: 39 ft 4 in
Beam: 10 ft 10 in
LWL: 28 ft 6 in
Maximum Draft: 6 ft 8 in
Displacement: 8600 kgs
Ballast: 3600 kgs
Total Power: 40 HP
Engine Brand: Yanmar
Year Built: 2001
Engine Model: 3JHE
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 2527
Propeller: Folding propeller
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 40 HP
Cruising Speed: 6 knots
Maximum Speed: 7 knots
Fresh Water Tanks: (135 Liters)
Fuel Tanks: (135 Liters)
8 berths in three cabins with max headroom of 6' 3".
Forecabin: V-berth forward and infill to make into a double berth.
Heads: Baby Blake marine toilet and wash basin. Cupboards opposite.
Saloon: Settee berths and pilot berths to port and starboard and folding dining table.
Galley: to starboard with Plastimo Neptune 2000 gas cooker with two burners, grill and oven, stainless steel sink with pressurised hot and cold water (heated by calorifier from engine), Isotherm 12 volt fridge with underwater heat exchanger (efficient in hot climates) and ample storage.
Chart table: to port with good stowage, electrical panel and instrumentation.
Aft cabin: Single quarter berths aft to port and starboard.
The interior is fitted throughout in a mix of teak battens lining the hull and light Koto veneers on the large surfaces. These, with a half bulkhead dividing the galley from the saloon and an extra hatch just aft of the mast make 'Star Swan' and unusually light boat of this type. Security grilles for all hatches to keep the boat airy in hot weather.
Spars & Sails
Masthead bermudan rig (short rig version). Original Nautor white painted aluminium single spreader, keel stepped mast and replacement larger Hood boom. Spinnaker pole. Jockey pole. Stainless steel 1 x 19 standing rigging (new 2015). Dyneema running rigging. Removable inner forestay with highfield lever. Navtec hydraulic backstay adjuster. Slab reefing mainsail. Harken Mk III headsail furling system. Mainsheet system with coarse/18:1 fine tune and Antil mainsheet track. Extra tracks forward for blade genoa. Solid vang.
- 2 x Barlow 28 self-tailing sheet winches in cockpit
- 1 x Barlow 23 self-tailing furling line winch in cockpit
- 2 x Barlow 28 halyard winches on deck by mast
- 2 x Barlow 16 winches on mast
- 1 x Barlow 24 winch on mast
- Fully battened mainsail - -2010
- Furling genoa - Lonton and Gray - 2000
- Furling blade genoa - 2008
- Storm jib
- Storm trysail
- 1.5 oz spinnaker
- 0.75 oz spinnaker
- Cruising chute with snuffer
- Set of older racing sails - mainsail, No.2, No.2, No.3 blade
- Many other older serviceable sails
Yanmar 3JHE, 40hp inboard diesel engine fitted new in 2001. Starting panel in cockpit with indicators for engine temeprature, oil pressure, revs and alarms. Racor fuel filters. Shaft drive with Max prop 3 bladed folding propeller. Full log of regular engine maintenance. 2527 engine hours (09/09/16).
- 3 x 12 135 amp/hour volt batteries with 3-way switch
- Batteries charged by alternator on the engine
- Link two battery bank monitor
- Smart charger
- Heavy duty RCD, shorepower and battery charger
- 2 x 240 volt 3 pin AC sockets
- 3 x regulators for solar cells and/or wind generator
- Monitor Windvane steering fitted to transom (includes emergency steering)
- 20kg anchor with 60m x 3/8" chain
- Kedge anchor
- 1500 kw electric anchor windlass (new 2013) with remote corded controls
- Stainless steel pulpit, pushpit, stanchions and guardwires
- Removable swin ladder with fixings by port shrouds
- Blue mainsail cover
- Blue sprayhood
- 3-part bimini sun protection over cockpit with side and aft extensions
- Numerous fenders, warps and lines
- Flag staff and ensign
- Sun protection deck canvas covers for protection in hot climates
- Plastimo steering compass on binnacle
- Raymarine ST60 steering compass in cockpit
- Raymarine ST60 multi in cockpit
- Raymarine ST60 multi in cockpit
- Raymarine ST60 windspeed/direction in cockpit
- Raymarine ST60 Tridata speed/log/depth in cockpit
- JRC Radar 1000 at chart table (new 2000)
- Lowrance HDS7m colour chart plotter (new 2015) at chart table, not linked
- Lowrance Globalmap I600 GPS at chart table linked to instruments
- Standard Horizon GX1500E DSC VHF at chart table with second station by helm in cockpit
- Raymarine ST6002 autopilot by helm
- Clock and barometer
- 12 volt socket at chart table
- Original Nautor lighting enhanced by LED reading lights
- Trilolour light at masthead
- Deck flood and steaming lights on mast
- Deck level navigation lights
- Firdell radar reflector on mast
- 2 x fire extinguishers
- Fire blanket
- 2 x horseshoe lifebuoys
- Webbing type jackstays
- Harness eye in cockpit
- Gas alarm with new regulator and Gas Saefty Check Certificate issued 2016
- EPIRB new 2015
Built in 1971 (short rigged cruising version) by Nautor, Hull No. 047 of only 51 built to a Sparkman and Stephens design. White GRP hull, with teak laid decks which were replaced with 1/2" teak in 2008. Long fin keel. Skeg hung rudder. Aft self draining cockpit . Whitlock steering wheel. New perspex to windows in saloon. New perspex to forehatch and forward cabin windows.
'Star Swan' is a unique Cruising version of this classic Sparkman and Stephens design from the 1970's. She has raced in the Solent as well as club racing on the East Coast. Mostly we have cruised her as a couple. Since 2000 we have crossed the Atlantic to the Caribbean as well as spending time in Madeira, the Canary Islands and the Azores. 'Star Swan' has always performed well as a coastal cruising yacht in the UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Portugal and the Mediterranean. She is a sea kindly yacht, designed to sail well over long distances in all conditions. 'Star Swan' was prepared for Caribbean cruising, again, in 2015, but never went and is now back in the UK and is ready to go.
As one the UK’s largest Brokers with over 330 boats for sale we are able to introduce you to Boat Insurance providers that offer all types of Boat Insurance including insurance for Yachts, Sailing Boats, Motor Cruisers, Narrowboats, Inland Waterway Craft, Barges, Houseboats, Speedboats, Rigid Inflatable Boats, Waterski Boats, Jet Skis, Personal Watercraft, Dinghies, Fishing Boats, Commercial Boats, Boats in Build or Refit.
Just call us to request an insurance quote for this boat or your current boat.
The company normally acts as broker for the vendor who unless otherwise stated is not selling in the course of a business. Whilst every care has been taken in the preparation of these particulars the correctness is not guaranteed and they are intended as a guide only and do not constitute a part of any contract. A prospective buyer is strongly advised to check these particulars and where appropriate and at his own expense to employ a qualified marine surveyor to carry out a survey and/or to have an engine trial conducted which if conducted by us shall not imply any liability on our part.
Other Boats from Clarke & Carter Interyacht Ltd.
Grenada W.I., Grenada