- View Full Specifications
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Oxford, MD
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- US$ 129,000
NEPENTHE was purchased by her current owners in 1998 and they have carefully returned this Classic Bermuda 40 to "excellent" condition.
Many years of upgrades, maintenance and repairs have this B40 standing tall and a must for your short list of Hinckley’s to see. The engine was completely rebuilt in 2008 and only run 200+/- hours since that overhaul was performed. The Herreshoff interior has recently been repainted, including the headliner, and the attention to detail work performed by Hinckley has this interior looking meticulous at 48 years old. All interior hardware was recently sent out for a fresh coat of chrome and the head was completely updated with new Corian countertops, sink, faucet and a custom fiberglass shower pan with integral drain. This is likely the only B40 on the market with modern shower pan and it is topped off with a custom Teak grate. NEPENTHE is a "must see" for anyone in the market for a Hinckley Bermuda 40.
Specializing in Used Hinckley Boat Sales for over 33 years, please call me, BOB POOLER (Brokerage Manager): 207-244-5531 or E-mail: email@example.com for more information on the used Hinckley power or sailboat market.
HINCKLEY BROKERAGE OFFICES:
- SOUTHWEST HARBOR-ME:
- Broker: Bob Pooler Cell: 207-460-7589 or firstname.lastname@example.org Office: 207-244-5531
- Broker: Wythe Ingebritson Cell: 207-664-8111 or email@example.com Office: 207-244-5531
- PORTSMOUTH, RI:
- Broker: Joe Dwyer Cell: 401-578-2919 or firstname.lastname@example.org Office: 401-683-7005
- ANNAPOLIS, MD:
- Broker: Jack Erbes Cell: 401-418-2188 or email@example.com Office: 410-263-0095
- Broker: Jennifer Richards Cell: 443-852-0707 or firstname.lastname@example.org Office: 772-403-5387
- Broker: Whitney Brackin Cell: 205-389-0944 or email@example.com Office: 239-261-2879
- HARBOR SPRINGS-MI:
- Broker: Marty Letts Cell: 231-330-3680 or firstname.lastname@example.org Office: 231-526-4378
Please contact Bob Pooler at 207-244-5531
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Builder: Hinckley Yachts
Designer: Bill Tripp
LOA: 40 ft 9 in
Beam: 11 ft 9 in
Minimum Draft: 4 ft 6 in
Maximum Draft: 8 ft 9 in
Displacement: 20000 lbs
Ballast: 6500 lbs
Total Power: 40 HP
Engine Brand: Westerbeke
Year Built: 1981
Engine Model: 40 FWC diesel
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 200
Propeller: 2 blade propeller
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 40 HP
Cruising Speed: 6 knots
Maximum Speed: 6 knots
Fresh Water Tanks: (110 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: (40 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: (30 Gallons)
Number of single berths: 6
Number of cabins: 2
Number of heads: 1
Total Liferaft Capacity: 10
NEPENTHE is a Hinckley Bermuda 40 Custom that is Yawl-rigged and has the B-40 standard 6-berth offshore layout. In 2012, she had a Hinckley interior and exterior make-over including a Vivid Red Awlgripped hull and Herreshoff-style finished interior. In 2008, her 1981 Westerbeke engine was rebuilt by Hanson Marine (now only 200 hours). NEPENTHE has the comforts of home including a Force 10 cabin heater.
HULL and DECK
- Hull: Vivid Red Awlgrip (new 2012)
- Deck: White with complementary Beige non-skid
- Boottop: Single white (2012)
- Bottom: Green
- Cove and Talaria, Name & Hail: Gold (2012)
The Hull is hand laid fiberglass. The deck is set in a 6” flange in the hull, then fiberglassed and bolted to form a permanent hull/deck joint.
- The 4,200 lb. external lead keel is fastened with ¾” Everdur bolts.
- Centerboard: Bronze centerboard is operated by a worm gear with safety override.
2012: Complete make-over by Hinckley, Oxford, MD of Hull with Vivid Red Awlgrip and gloss varnished toe and hand rails, eyebrows, hatches, cockpit, dorade boxes, propane locker and lazarette hatch.
- Stainless steel bow and stern pulpits
- Double lifelines w/port & starboard gates
- Two main hatches and companion way boards plus original screens.
- Two 6” Perko chrome cowl vents on dorade boxes and in bow; one 14” extended 6” Perko chrome cowl vent.
- ALL deck hardware re-chromed to bright finish: deck cleats, cowl vents, binnacle, Merriman winches, and deck plates.
- New stainless steel “Hinckley Bermuda 40” logo amidships on eyebrow, starboard & port.
- Sunbrella Dodger
- Cockpit Awning
- Cockpit cushions - 2011 White w/Red Piping
- Cockpit cushions - Six monogrammed ‘NEPENTHE’, Tan Sunbrella.
- Teak cockpit grating
- Varnished teak cockpit coamings have inboard winch handle pockets.
- Opening sail locker seats – provide both sail and equipment storage.
- Forward varnished teak companionway entry to interior accommodations.
- Engine instruments are recessed in forward end of cockpit.
- Hubbell 30-amp shore power inlet
- Morse throttle/transmission control
Edson pedestal steering with stainless steel destroyer-type wheel
- Stainless steel binnacle guard
- Compass - Binnacle mounted, with stainless steel cover.
- Mizzen mast Helm Seat
ELECTRONICS & NAVIGATION EQUIPMENT
- RayMarine digital ST60 Wind - Cockpit
- RayMarine ST60 TriData (Depth, Speed, Trip) - Cockpit
- RayMarine ST60 Multi for hull speed, depth, wind & GPS link (+autopilot ready) – Cockpit
- Raytheon 398 GPS/Loran – Nav station
- Icom M-55 VHF – Nav station
- Raytheon R-20 Radar, with dome on mizzen mast – Nav station
- Danforth 5” Compass - Cockpit
- Alpine AM/FM Stereo Cassette - with custom mahogany speakers.
NEPENTHE has the standard 6-berth B-40 layout that has many recent upgrades as noted below. A portable AC Air Conditioner provides cooling in the summer while a Force 10 propane heater provides extra comfort in cooler conditions.
The Interior, newly painted in 2012, is Herreshoff style with white bulkheads, gloss varnish Mahogany doors, cabins, and trim, (cabin sides too). There is varnished Mahogany hull sheathing in forward and main cabins.
- New Sunbrella Curtains, 2012, track mounted for all windows.
- Teak and Holly sole.
- All hardware (doorknobs, pulls, hinges, sliders, etc.) have been re-chromed to bright finish
- (6) Interior pillows in Ralph Lauren plaid & plain fabric.
- V berths - with 6” foam blue berth cushions (all new covers in 2001) and a filler to create a double.
- Varnished Mahogany shelves over each berth and drop front and drawer storage below.
- Storage - Aft to starboard are two large hanging lockers and to port is a six drawer/drop front bureau.
- AC outlet
- Forepeak/anchor locker with varnished cabinet doors is accessed from the forward cabin.
A door separates the forward cabin from the rest of the interior. The forward cabin is finished in a Herreshoff style with white bulkheads and gloss varnished Mahogany drawers, doors and trim.
Next aft, to starboard is a second hanging locker and opposite is the Head.
The Head is newly renovated in a Herreshoff-style with white bulkheads and varnished gloss Mahogany trim
- New light green Corian counter top with stainless steel sink with hot and cold pressure water, chrome Scandvik fixtures, hand held shower.
- 2012 KH Groco head with Y-valve to holding tank (2013) w/macerator pump.
- 2012 Hinckley custom fiberglass floor pan with teak grate
- Chrome towel bar, varnished Mahogany mirror w/Talaria logo,
- Laundry hamper
- Varnished Mahogany lockers –one with six individual ditty drawers for personal gear
- Opening screened port.
Over port and starboard pilot berths are varnished Mahogany shelves for gear storage. There are three drawers under the pilot berths and pull-out transom berths for ample storage. There are four, reversible 6” foam blue berth cushions.
- Force 10 propane cabin heater - mounted in main cabin on starboard bulkhead.
- Dining table - Center gloss varnished dining table.
- Forward, on the port bulkhead is a varnished Mahogany bookshelf. A Liquor locker is built into the starboard forward bulkhead.
- Gray Linen Formica countertops
- Stainless steel sink with single lever faucet, pressure hot & cold water - with hot water from engine
- Gimbaled 3-burner Shipmate stove w/oven
- Adler Barbour 12-volt DC cold-plate (2000) - mounted in stainless steel icebox.
- Discreetly mounted AC outlets on port and starboard.
- A Microwave behind the icebox has replaced a custom Mahogany dish & flatware storage unit. (Note: both are available.)
- Lift out pot/pan storage.
- Varnished Mahogany glass rack and three shelf cubby w/Talaria motif are mounted on port aft bulkhead.
- (2) AC outlets – port and starboard
Starboard, chart stowage is over the icebox, which can double as a NAV STATION.
SAILS and RIGGING
HRH fabricated aluminum spars with 1 x 19 stainless steel wire standing rigging to swaged terminals and turnbuckle tensioners.
- Harken roller furling headstay system.
- Aluminum main boom rigged for jiffy reefing w/Lewmar #16 ST winch.
- 2012 - Main Halyard
- 2008 - balance of running rigging
- Stainless steel coaming mounted genoa tracks
- Barlow #27 SS ST Primary
- Merriman #5 Chrome Secondary
- Lewmar #16 ST
- Main – cruise batten (Hood – 2004)
- Mizzen – full batten (Shore – 1993)
- #1 Genoa – (Breese – 2006)
- Storm Jib
- Storm Trysail
- Mizzen Trysail
12-Volt DC and 110-Volt AC electrical systems:
12-Volt DC System
- Separate 12 volt engine and house battery banks with own switch.
- Custom 12-Volt Hinckley electrical panel with individual breakers.
- Amp meter/volt meter for house and starting batteries.
- Two Motorola alternators – 105-amp for house, 55-amp for starting batteries.
110-Volt AC electrical system:
- Hubbell chrome 30-amp AC shore power inlet + 50 ft. shore power cord
- 110-Volt AC panel with individual breakers
- Century 9000 series C battery charger
- (3) AC interior outlets – fwd cabin, galley port locker and stbd next to radar
2008 rebuilt 1981 Westerbeke 40-hp diesel engine (200 hrs. 9/2013)
- Engine rebuilt in 2008 at 2418 hours by Hanson Marine, John Payne
- Racor fuel filter
- Morse single lever control
- Stainless steel pot muffler and exhaust system
- 2-blade fixed propeller
- Bilge Pumps: Rule electric bilge pump, Wilcox-Crittenden manual bilge pump in cockpit locker, Whale Gusher manual bilge pump in cockpit locker
- Allcraft stainless steel 10-gallon hot water heater
- Force 10 propane cabin Heater
- Adler Barbour 9 cu/ft cold-plate 12-volt refrigeration (2000)
- 30-gallon stainless steel holding tank (2013)
- Original refurbished 1967 Hinckley varnished Mahogany boarding ladder
- (2) Horseshoe Life rings with ‘NEPENTHE’ (new 2012, Yellow) - with SS mounting brackets
- (6) offshore adult life jackets
- Switlik MRP 10-man life raft
- Radar Reflector
- Spotlight – 12 volt handheld
- Stainless Steel Charcoal Grill - mounted on stern rail
- Running lights on bow pulpit
- Varnished Ash Rigging Rollers
- Elkhide spreader boots
- Bosun’s chair
- Custom Mahogany dish & flatware storage unit (see galley)
- (5) Fenders - 8” with black fleece covers
- AC air conditioning unit – portable, hatch-mounted
- Ideal Electric Windless with 15’ x 3/8” chain + 200’ x 5/8 nylon rode
- CQR 35# plough anchor in stainless steel bow roller
- Danforth 22# Anchor - mounted in chocks on cabin top
- Yachtsman 35# Anchor - mounted on deck
- Spare 150’ nylon anchor rode w/ thimble
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
Other Boats from Hinckley Yacht Brokerage
Bermuda 40 Custom Yawl
Seattle, WA, United States
Bermuda 40 Custom Yawl
Monterey, CA, United States
Sou'wester 42 MK II Sloop
Southwest Harbor, ME, United States
Sou'wester 42 Sloop
Southwest Harbor, ME, United States
Bermuda 40 MK III Yawl
Beaufort, NC, United States
Sou'wester 42 Yawl
Southwest Harbor, ME, United States