- View Full Specifications
Downeast "Picnic" Boat
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Brooklin, ME
- Hull Material:
- Last Listed Price:
- US$ 29,500
Originally built of the best materials (mahogany on oak frames and teak decks) for a wealthy summer family to run them to their island estate in Maine, GREY SEAL's more recent work is as a service vessel at a successful marina, along with some day cruising and overnighting. She is a strongly built, well cared for and seaworthy Maine cruiser and in the last several years has been repowered with a Volvo 6 cylinder turbo diesel engine. At various times in her life she has been given partial rebuilds or partial refits, as delineated under hull & deck. Work has also included a completely new electrical and plumbing system with a new cockpit control station. At the time of her engine repower, new engine beds were installed, new shaft log, propeller, cutlass bearing, and a fully cushioned transom seat added.
"A Certified Professional Yacht Broker and Past President of the Yacht Brokers Association of America, Bill holds an Unlimited Master Mariner's License and has over 40 years experience in marine fields. Bill has been a broker with ECYS since 1998.".
Please contact Bill Full, CPYB at 207-846-4545
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Builder: Rich Brothers
Designer: Rich Brothers
Hull Shape: Semi-Displacement
LOA: 32 ft 0 in
Beam: 10 ft 6 in
Minimum Draft: 4 ft 0 in
Total Power: 130 HP
Engine Brand: Volvo
Engine Model: TMD 40
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Power: 130 HP
Cruising Speed: 11 knots
Maximum Speed: 14 knots
Fresh Water Tanks: 1 Plastic (15 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: 2 Aluminum (80 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: 1 Plastic (6 Gallons)
The focus on this handsome little downeast power cruiser is the cockpit, but there are reasonable accommodations for two to do an overnight or longer cruise to the extent the occupants understand and enjoy camp cruising. Below GREY SEAL has a 6'-6" long V-Berth with filler. Below the filler is a manual head plumbed via a Y-valve to the waste tank. Aft and to starboard are storage cubbies and a counter surface while to port is another small counter surface with stainless sink with manual fresh water pump. Headroom below is a bit over 5'. Natural light and venitlation is provided by six opening bronze ports with screens and a large overhead hatch. 12 volt lighting.
- Varnished trim accents below including storage racks for dishes and glasses
- Portable ice chest for chilled food stuffs
Set up for coastal cruising
- Standard Horizon CP-175C color plotter 2010
- Furuno 1721 monochromatic radar
- Sitex AVS-107 fishfinder/depth
- Icom M-58 VHF
- Rayline search light
- Standard horizon VHF/Fog horn/hailer
- Danforth constellation magnetic compass
- 2 windshield wipers
Electrical: Wired for 12 Volt DC and 110 Volt AC service. The entire 12 Volt and 110 Volt electrical system was replaced in 2010 including all wiring and the switch panel.
12 Volt DC
- Switch panel with breakers
- Volt & Amp meters
- 80 amp alternator
- 1 group 31 lead acid engine start battery
- 1 group 27 lead acid house battery
110 Volt AC
- Distribution panel with breakers
- Volt & Amp meters
- 30 amp shore power inlet
- Xantrex True charge 40 amp battery charger
Fresh water cooled 6 cylinder turbo charged Volvo diesel turns a 4 bladed 18" propeller and a 1.5" stainless steel shaft.
The engine was purchased used in the winter of 2010/2011 with just under 1110 hours on it and an additional 229 hours have been put on it since (12/13) on a new hour meter.
- All work delineated below was done in early 2011
- Prior to installing the engine, the top end was opened up and inspected and found to be in very good condition so no work was done.
- Heat exchanger and oil cooler removed and cleaned out and re-installed with all new gaskets, etc. Heat exchanger core replaced
- New belts and hoses
- New engine mounts
- All new exhaust system
- New fuel hoses and pump overhauled
- Turbo charger overhauled and balanced
- Added exhaust temp alarm
- New propeller
- Morse engine controls
- Racor fuel filter
- 2 Electric bilge pumps
- High water bilge alarm
- 1 Manual bilge pump
- Manual macerator pump for waste tank and deck pumpout
- Teleflex rack and pinion to cable/chain steering
Hull & Deck
Built by the respected Rich Brothers of Mt. Desert Island, Maine of 3/4" x 2" mahogany planking on white oak frames and timbers on 14" centers using bronze fastenings. Decks are solid teak over plywood on white oak deck beams on the side and fore deck and solid teak in the cockpit.
Transom seat with storage under, full width raw teak decked cockpit, white oak rub and quarter rails with bronze half round. Side decks have comfortable width to allow transit fore and aft.
In 1995 she was rebuilt, any frames that needed it were sistered, decks completely replaced and extensive repairs were made to her house. A separate rebuild in the winter of 2003/2004 covered similar items but having had extensive work done in 1995, little in that regard was warranted.
- 2011 All new extended engine beds and new transom seat
- 1998 Fuel and water tanks removed and cleaned
- 2010 Completely re-wired and re-plumbed including all new fuel hoses and water hoses.
All finishes all oil based enamels, Gull grey topside paint, green boot top with a hard red epoxy anti-fouling on the bottom.
- Teak anchor pulpit
- Stainless steel bow rail 2010
- 35 lb CQR with app 15' chain and 150' rode
- 22 lb Danforth
- 6 type II PFDs
- Flare Kit
- 2 fire extinguishers
- 3 fenders and 4 docklines
GREY SEAL is a wholesome downeast power cruiser form a respected builder that has enjoyed periodic upgrades and re-fits. She would make a fine vessel for those who want a vessel of this styling to service an island home, to do day cruises with a larger party, or to do cruises of longer duration with one or two aboard. Her sale includes linens and a small amount of galley wares.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.