It is no wonder that MORNA with her canoe stern and fine drawn out ends has found over the years; owners who adore and love her – with more volume below and expansive deck space she has always proved the perfect cruising boat. Dickies knew how to build strong and supremely seaworthy boats and in MORNA Peter Dickies’s passion for beautiful yachts is also very evident....along with a little influence from Albert Strange and William Fife II perhaps ?
MORNA designed by Peter Dickie was built by A.M Dickie and Son, of Tarbert., Argyll, circa 1920 to the order of Captain Ronald Sillars who owned her for 2 years. She was then in Northern Ireland for 35 years with the Workman family, owners of the famous Belfast shipyard, Workman and Clarke. MORNA then sailed extensively around the world returning to UK by road transport from Croatia to be bought in 2002 by the current owner, who has since set about a programme of restoration and modernisation.
Please contact at +44 (0)1202 330077
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Builder: Dickies of Tarbert
Designer: Peter Dickie
Length Overall: 48 ft 6 in / 14.8 m Length at Waterline: 38 ft / 11.6 m Beam: 11 ft 6 in / 3. Max Draft: 6 ft 6 in / 2 m Displacement: 25 tons
Total Power: 67
- 1 ½ inch thick carvel pitch pine planking - Sawn oak frames at approx 12 inch centres, interspersed with 2 steamed ribs - All fastened in boat nails and copper nails roved on the inside - Hull copper sheathed below the waterline from the 1980s - New 3 inch oak deck beams throughout - New full length pitch pine beam shelf - 1/3rd inch teak planked decks on 2 layers of Robbins Super Elite marine ply; total 1 ¼ inch - New rib ends, toe rail and toe rail cappings are teak - Original teak deck hatches and doghouse with their bronze fittings have been retained - Hardwood rudder stern hung on substantial pintles - Full length keel of c 3 tons lead with additional c 2 tons loose lead ingot ballast in bilge - Bronze keel bolts
There are berths for 8 if doubles are utilised. The accommodation is remarkable for the original mahogany furniture, trimmed with the substantial brass fittings of her era. Forward of the aft deck lazarette, cockpit and the mizzen a sliding hatch and companionway steps lead down to the aft cabin, which houses 2 berths; one either side as well as space for charts and the navigation instruments.
Forward of this is a mid cabin with a single berth to port and a double opposite, beyond which, moving up the port side is the galley housed in a tiled compartment with a Plastimo Neptune gas cooker, small sink (fitted with seawater connection and drained to holding tank with overboard / shore discharge) and generous locker stowage. Opposite is the heads compartment with wash basin and wine cellar. This whole area is also accessed from the deck by sliding hatch and steps down, the companionway leading both aft and forward to the saloon
In the saloon there is seating on the port side fore and aft facing the portable sole mounted table and on the starboard side a long settee serving also as a berth.
A bulkhead doorway leads to the fore peak, the space currently usable as a sail locker, also with a chain locker - and hanging locker on the starboard side.
Rig, Spars and sails
- Rigged as a Ketch - Spars are solid Douglas fir and include mainmast, mizzen mast, associated booms, gaffs, topsail yard and bowsprit - Stainless steel standing rigging 8mm wire 7 x 7 layup, renewed 2004 - Running rigging and cordage of mixed synthetic fibre types - New sails in 2005 by Fylde Sails of Fleetwood, main, mizzen, staysail, furling headsail, topsail; all in white Terylene - Mitre cut furling jib in Clipper Canvas (spun polyester) by Steve Hall 2014
Deck Equipment and Ground Tackle
- 40 lb CQR anchor with 100 m new ½ inch chain, 2008 - 50 lb Fisherman kedge anchor, chain and warp - New bronze deck stanchions and safety ropes
- Heavy duty galvanized mooring bitts refitted - New bronze Panama rope leads fitted fore and aft - New Muir Atlantic 2500 all bronze anchor windlass
- 40 lb CQR anchor with 100 m new ½ inch chain, 2008 - 50 lb Fisherman kedge anchor, chain and warp - New bronze deck stanchions and safety ropes - Heavy duty galvanized mooring bitts refitted - New bronze Panama rope leads fitted fore and aft - New Muir Atlantic 2500 all bronze anchor windlass
Mechanical and Electrical
Perkins Sabre 4 cylinder 67 HP marine diesel , offset to port in aft cabin, driving through hydraulic drive to stern gear comprising 3 blade bronze propeller turning on duplex stainless steel 1 ¼ inch shaft, running in water lubricated bearing - Cutless bearing new 2012 - 2 x flexi freshwater tanks stowed in galley bilge - Calorifier - 1 x Whale automatic electric bilge pump 2012 - 1 x Whale Gusher 30 manual bilge pump - 1 x Whale Gusher 10 manual bilge pump in cockpit 2012
- Seiwa GPS plotter with discreet 19 inch LED flat screen 2012 in cupboard - Cobra DSC radio - VHF radio - Garmin 128 GPS - Nasa echo-sounder. - Regulation navigation lights - Magnetic Compass.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.