- View Full Specifications
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Port Townsend, WA
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- US$ 109,900
SWEET 'OL TUG! "Atlas," a 53ft Tugboat built in 1909, has been the beneficiary of major restoration from 1989-2017. Noted for rum running to Alaska during prohibition, this classic with a history had to be restored! The owner methodically rebuilt the vessel, rib by rib, plank by plank. The comprehensive list includes new electrical, hydraulics, plumbing, electronics, decking, windows, interior and exterior paint and much more. Atlas exudes charm and character, strength and brawn. This rugged vessel is now ready to cruise the coastal waters of the Pacific Northwest and rum run back to Alaska once more.
Please contact Sandy Bakken at SEA Marine for additional information or to arrange viewing.
Office: 360-385-4000 Cell: 503-475-0619
Please contact at (360) 385-4000
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Total Power: 105 HP
Engine Brand: Buda
Engine Model: 6 cylinder
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Propeller: 3 blade propeller
Engine Power: 105 HP
Vessel Restoration History
Major restoration started in 1989. Replacement of most woodwork and systems means that relatively little of the original vessel remains. The following is a brief summary of the work done , meeting ABYC standards and carried out by professional craftsmen :
* New Douglas Fir stem and horn timber built & fitted
* Vessel replanked with Douglas Fir and refastened with 4" galvanized screws in 1998
* Original keel timber sistered
* Al ribs(102) replaced with oak
* All frames replaced or sistered as required
* New 500 gal aluminum fuel tanks custom built and installed
* New 500 gallon water tank
* New deckhouse with fiberglassed top built and fitted
* New trunk cabin with fiberglass deck
* Decks and rim logs replaced
* Total rewiring for 12VDC & 110VAC electrical service
* New galvanized steel bulwarks built and installed, replacing wood bulwarks
* New hydraulic steering system installed
* New sponsons built and installed
* Aluminum mast with hydraulic winch built and installed
* Engine driven hydraulic pump installed
* New Diamond Glaze metal framed safety glass windows installed
* 2010 Navigation electronics installed
* 2010 Dickenson Beaufort diesel galley
* 2010 9Kw Nor-Pro diesel generator
* 2010 Commercial hydraulic anchor winch/chain/cable
* 2010 Cutlass bearing at shaft exit
* 2010 Full-vessel fire & bilge alarm system
* Crankcase Airsep breather system
Built in 1909 in Harper, Washington
Vessel Name: Atlas
BUILT IN HARPER, WA. 1909
Measures 46'3" x 12' 5" x 7'6"
19 gross tonnage, 13 nrt
OPERATE AS A SMALL SUPPORT TUG AROUND PUGET SOUND, NOTED FOR RETRIEVING THE CLOCK TOWER OFF OF THE COLMAN FERRY TERMINAL AND BEACHING IT ON ALKI POINT. ALSO, NOTED FOR RUM RUNNING IN ALASKA TO THE INDIAN TRIBES DURING THE PROHIBITION.
TRUNK CABIN RE-BUILT BY BILL O’NEIL, OWNER &SKIPPER, IN SEATTLE DESIGNED AND BUILT 1980 BY FRANK PROTHORAX, SON OF A FAMOUS SHIPWRIGHT IN SEATTLE (BROTHER STARTED THE NORTHWEST SCHOOL OF WOODEN BOAT)
1989 STARTED A COMPLETE RE-BUILD: ALL RIBS AND PLANKS, DECKING, ENGINE, TRANSMISSION, ELECTRICAL & ELECTRONICS, HYDRAULICS AND PLUMBING STEM TO STERN BY DICK BOTHELL
- FUEL 1000 GALLONS IN TWO SADDLE TANKS STRADDLE
THE ENGINE (TANK MADE FROM 5000 SERIES ALUMINUM
- WATER TANKS TWO STAINLESS STEEL TOTAL 500 GALLONS AFT OF ENGINE AND UNDER CABIN FLOOR
- HOLDING TANK 60 GALLONS & MACERATOR PUMP LOCATED UNDER SHOWER AND HEAD FOR TOILET, GREY WATER TANK 50 GALLONS SAME LOCATION &. GREY WATER PUMP
- Furuno VHF
- Furuno NavNet 3D multi-function
- Compass : Dirigo
- GPS : Furuno GP-32
- Autopilot - Furuno NavPilot
Engine and Mechanical
Engine - World War II, Buda 6 cylinder 105 hp diesel -fresh water cooled, naturally aspirated, coupled to a 4" bronze propeller shaft and a three blade bronze propeller. The engine has had the fuel system, cooling system and exhaust system replaced or upgraded.
Idle speed 400 rpm
Hull speed 7-8 knots @1000 rpm. Top rpm 1200
At hull speed, engine consumes 3 gph
Gear box, new gears and bell housing shaft 3" diameter
Stuffing box through to propeller, 36" three bladdes
Steering system - hydraulic pull-push system
Generator - Nor Pro 9 kw diesel in sound proof box
Battery charger - Pro Mariner
Anchor Windlass - JFK Fabrication hydraulic winch on foredeck
Anchor & Rode #1:145# Forfjord Safety w/ 20' 5/8 , 30' 1/2" chain & 300' cable
Berths for 8
- V-berth douible
- Settee converts to Double
- Pilot house sleeps 2
- 2 singles
- Private head with shower
Galley and Salon
- Galley has full headroom with exposed beam ceiling
- Large new windows provide light, visibility and ventilation to the interior
- L-shaped dinette provides dining space for 8-10 passengers (additional storage below)
- New extra large Dickinson diesel stove and oven combination
- Refurbished wood floors
- Cabinet storage
- Enclosed engine provides spacious island
- Full size freezer
- Full size refrigerator
- TWO ENGINE ALTERNATORS:
- ONE TO RE-CHARGE 12V HOUSE POWER. ONE TO RECHARGE 12V ENGINE STARTING BATTERIES.
- 120V WATER COOLED DIESEL GENERATOR
- SHORE POWER 120 V CONNECTION AND INVERTER T0 12 V.
On Deck, Rig and Rudder
- ANCHOR 400 LBS. DANFORTH, 90 FT LARGE CHAIN, 120 FT 3” CHAIN 600 FT ½” CABLE.
- HYDRAULIC DECK WINDLASS AND LARGE STAINLESS ANCHOR HOLD/RELEASE BOW PLATE.
- BULWARKS FORE & AFT GALVANIZED AND EPOXY PAINTED STEEL WITH HAWSE HOLES INTERNAL CLEATS. TWO STERN ACCESS DOORS. BULWARKS TOP PLATE IROKO WOOD.
- HORSESHOE STERN WITH FOLD DOWN SEATING. ACCESS TO UPPER DECK & INTERNAL TRUNK CABIN. (Custom cushions)
- UPPER DECK ABOVE TRUNK CABIN WITH ENGINE EXHAUST AND 22FT. HIGH MAST & BOOM WITH HYDRAULIC LIFT FOR SKIFF LAUNCH & RETRIEVE.
RIG, Aluminum 5000 series mast height above trunk-cabin 22 ft, boom 12.4 ft Hydraulic boat lift line to bow nose steel, steel triangulation to wheel house top, side wire stabilizers
Rudder Assembly: Rudder Forged Iron, Resting on Forged Iron Pivot with
aluminum-bronze bearings. Pivot iron returns to keel. The ____ and is
through bolted each side of the skage. Skage irons sealed to skage using
Pitch sealed with lead sheets using copper tacks.
Rudder Post enters the hull through cast iron bearing plate lag bolted to
the horn timber. Rudder bearing has two aluminum bronze bearings, 1) at
the thru-horn timber entry 2) deck beam thru to the deck. All bearings are
grease fitting lubricated.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.