- View Full Specifications
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / Gas/Petrol
- Located In:
- Lake Chautauqua, NY
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- US$ 799,000
Own this beautiful one of a kind classic motoryacht. Custom built for J.W. Packard, founder of the Packard Car Company. This historic motoryacht carries with it a log having some of the most influential people in American history aboard. You could be the one to tell the story of these prominent passengers; President Franklin D. Roosevelt, Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, Harvey Firestone, Supreme Court Justice Robert H. Jackson, Admiral William R. Plunkett U.S.N. They enjoyed time yachting on Chautauqua Lake in New York with Mr. Packard. Latter years, visited by Lucille Ball and President Bill Clinton while at the Chautauqua Institute. "FoR ROLIGT" will be celebrating 113 years of colorful history.
Meticulous restoration of seven or more years, brought back the original beauty of hand carved mahogany interior, beveled glass windows, brass hardware throughout, white oak frames, and white cedar planking. These are just a few of her special features to enjoyed.
For more information, please request brochures and literature on
Please contact Olan Scheff at (772) 341-5192
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Hull Shape: Displacement
LOA: 44 ft 0 in
Beam: 10 ft 6 in
Maximum Draft: 3 ft 0 in
Displacement: 18000 lbs
Total Power: 135 HP
Engine Brand: Chrysler
Year Built: 1950
Engine Model: Crown
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Gas/Petrol
Propeller: 3 blade propeller
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 135 HP
Cruising Speed: 7 knots
Maximum Speed: 9 knots
Electric bilge pump
Shore power inlet
Electrical Circuit: 110V
"FoR ROLIGT" is a custom flush-deck "Day Cruiser" motoryacht with dual cabins built by the Mathews Boat Company in 1903 for automobile icon James W. Packard. She is one of the early boats know as a "Naphtha launches'' and was one of the largest on Chautauqua Lake displacing nine tons with an overall length of 44'. The hull planking is made from white cedar and her structural parts are white oak. All interior trim is made from mahogany. Most of the fittings are originally made of bronze and brass.
In 1970, an entire new bottom was installed. A 24' white oak log was cut in Chautauqua County for the forward part of the keel; and another 18' section was spliced aft. In the same year she became a postal carrier and honored by a several personal stamp.
ENGINE ROOM HISTORY
First powered by a four cylinder vertical Sterling engine which stood man- high in the forward engine room, to be replaced by Mr. Packard with one of the first to become famous Packard Marine Engines (Natch!)
This has been subsequently replaced by several power plants; which were moved back under the Captains Bridge, allowing the old engine room to be converted to a chart room and Captain's Quarters.
According to the 1903 official report by R.J. Barrows Secretary of Navigation Commissioners of Chautauqua Lake, "CARLOTTA" know now as FOR ROLIGT was the first registered on the lake that year # 60 CARLOTTA Owner J.W. Packard.
Mr. Barrows comments in his annual report - 19 new Launches have been added to the commissioners list this season. This brings the total of (registered gasoline Launches) to 125. Mr. Barrows then continues, "As there are many under construction ,it is safe to say Chautauqua Lake will be filled with these lively little pleasure crafts.
There are now more than 5000 registered motor boats on Chautauqua Lake.
NAME CHANGE HISTORY
During Mr. Packard's ownership of this yacht from 1903 to 1914, he changed the name from ''CARLOTTA'' to 'MANANA". Most people do not know that the reason for the change was typical of Mr. Packard's wonderful sense of humor. Every Sunday Mr. Fred Armitage of Jamestown, who was a close friend of Mr. Packard would come to the lake and help with the many various small jobs on the boat. These weekly visits became almost a ritual of friendly associations and personal enjoyment for both men through the years. As years went on Fred showed up later and later to the point Mr. Packard felt Fred might not arrive til tomorrow (Manana), so in honor of Fred's late arrivals Mr. Packard renamed her to "MANANA". She continued to have that name for another 62 years.
In 1965, the syndicate of Buchan and Lincoln influenced by their Scottish and Scandinavian seafaring forbearers changed the name to happy time of a Swedish whimsical '' FoR ROLIGT'' Swedish translation (For Fun) Pronounced (Fur-rool-eet)
POINTS OF INTEREST
Beautiful antique copper lined galley is located abaft the main cabin starboard side, directly opposite the Main Salon.
Original running and searchlights are all brass and were manufactured prior to 1890. These had been converted to electricity.
A stunning Brass Binnacle (circa 1875) now sits proudly on the Captains Bridge, which is illuminated by a whale oil lamp.
All brass was made and stamped by the Revere Copper Company which was the business that operated North America's first copper rolling mill. It was started by Paul Revere in 1801 in Canton, Massachusetts and developed a commercially viable process for manufacturing copper sheets.
This has been a challenge and privilege to represent this wonderful time capsule of Americas greatest era. It can be said with certainty she is one of a kind in the world and her illustrious and colorful past just adds to this special yachts appeal and grandeur.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.